PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Best Terrestrial Circle spells?

Kobold-Bard
2011-04-05, 07:27 AM
As it says in the title, which Terrestrial Circle Sorcery spells are the best?

Best in this instance meaning most useful/versatile etc.

Also, would you recommend Necromancy?

Thanks in advance,
K-B

SurlySeraph
2011-04-05, 08:33 AM
Disguise of the New Face springs to mind.

As for Necromancy, maybe. It's very expensive to take both, but it has some excellent combat spells (such as Flesh-Sloughing Wave) and quite handy utility if you can survive in the Underworld.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-05, 11:03 AM
Demon of the First Circle, and Summon Elemental, of course. :smallwink:

Necromancy's plenty useful, if you keep its purpose in mind...

As for other useful spells, I find Thunder Wolf's Howl to be tremendously underappreciated... :smalleek:

Kylarra
2011-04-05, 11:21 AM
the summons and stormwind rider are nice.

Mikal
2011-04-05, 12:20 PM
Thunder Wolf's Howl is a big F-U to any non-perfect using being (and Dragon-Bloods).

Ritual of Elemental Empowerment+Perfect Equipment (resources or thaumaturgy) can outfit people with some nice equipment when you're artifact shy.

Can't beat Infallible Messenger for stuff you have to send out ASAP

senrath
2011-04-05, 01:12 PM
I'm a fan of Burning Eyes of the Offender, although it's not that great if you need to preserve even the tiniest bits of stealth.

Teln
2011-04-05, 02:19 PM
Wood Dragon's Claw. The stats are whatever you say they are, and it's compatible with every single MA that has been or will ever be published.

Also, Death of Obsidian Butterflies for those situations when you need to kill everybody in the room NOW.

Drascin
2011-04-05, 02:27 PM
I've found Mists of Eventide to be a surprisingly good offensive spell. Instasleeping people in a big radius if they fail a Res+Sta roll with your Essence in difficulty can be a nasty thing - being asleep within reach of your group's swords usually means instant death for everyone not packing paranoia.

a_humble_lich
2011-04-05, 02:42 PM
I like:

A transport spell--generally Cirrus Skiff or Azure Chariot
A communication spell--e.g. Infallible Messenger. Spoke the Wooden Face can be nice because it allows for two-way communication (although you need more set up).
Flight of Separation--Having a run away spell is always good.
Disguise the New Face--Anathema? I think I saw it go that way :smallsmile:
Flying Guillotine and Flight of the Brilliant Raptor--They may not be actually that usefull in combat but that doesn't make them less awesome.
Summoning/Countermagic--These are the Sorcery basics.

As for Necromancy it has a limited scope and is expensive. But there are some nice spells. I especially like Door of the Dead and Dusk Eyes. Being able to more between Creation and the Underworld easily has more uses than I can list. And if you want to be killing ghosts Drawing the Blind Edge can get scary.

Friv
2011-04-05, 06:45 PM
As mentioned, it's hard to beat summoning. Summon Demon nets you disposable minions, while Summon Elemental is a good way to recruit allies if you aren't a jerk to the elementals in question.

A lot of the rest depends on who you are. Disguise of the New Face is great for Dragon-Bloods, but not so hot compared to Solar Larceny or Lunar shape-shifting. Similarly, it's lovely to have a Stormwind Rider, unless you can just train a horse to fly at two hundred miles an hour. Thunder Wolf's Howl is probably the best of the combat spells. Lightning Spider is hilariously abuseable.

Infallible Messenger, as written, is probably the most powerful spell in the set, but that's mainly because of abuse potential. In addition to being a Creation-wide communications spell, it's a Creation-wide perfect tracking spell, a perfect disguise-piercer, and a perfect stealth-breaker. Good times.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-05, 06:52 PM
Similarly, it's lovely to have a Stormwind Rider, unless you can just train a horse to fly at two hundred miles an hour.You know what's sad? That three Terrestrial Circle spells are almost entirely better off for providing all your travel needs than all the core Solar Sail and Ride Charms in the book. :smallsigh:

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but only a little.

Reynard
2011-04-05, 06:52 PM
Similarly, it's lovely to have a Stormwind Rider, unless you can just train a horse to fly at two hundred miles an hour.

It's funnier with Yeddims.

YEDDIM SHOULD NOT GO SO FAST. D:

Kylarra
2011-04-05, 11:32 PM
It's funnier with Yeddims.

YEDDIM SHOULD NOT GO SO FAST. D:
Unless they are secretly lunars.

Tael
2011-04-06, 09:06 PM
Unless they are secretly lunars.

:smallbiggrin: I'm totally going to have the yeddim the party is using suddenly turn into a lunar right when they are trying to be stealthy.

Reynard
2011-04-06, 10:05 PM
:smallbiggrin: I'm totally going to have the yeddim the party is using suddenly turn into a lunar right when they are trying to be stealthy.

What. These two things do not mix.

Tael
2011-04-06, 10:07 PM
What. These two things do not mix.

Exactly.

Nah, I meant inconspicuous.

Reynard
2011-04-06, 10:11 PM
Exactly.

Nah, I meant inconspicuous.

Yeddims are inconspicuous.

Never thought I'd ever see the like.

TheCountAlucard
2011-04-06, 10:21 PM
You know, the funny thing about these 120-mph yeddim is, the Charm isn't Obvious. :smallamused:

"Hey, did you see that guy riding the yeddim faster than some First Age vehicles?"

"Yeah, what about him?"

"I don't know, he didn't really stand out that much to me."

:smalltongue:

golentan
2011-04-06, 10:25 PM
You know, the funny thing about these 120-mph yeddim is, the Charm isn't Obvious. :smallamused:

"Hey, did you see that guy riding the yeddim faster than some First Age vehicles?"

"Yeah, what about him?"

"I don't know, he didn't really stand out that much to me."

:smalltongue:

I like the idea of it as space warping such that it doesn't actually appear to be going faster than a fast run until you actually track how far it's gone in that time. But yeah. Sonic the Yeddim is... weird...