PDA

View Full Version : need help with wizard

Tr011
2011-04-05, 07:41 AM
I need some help with my wizard I am doing. He starts at level one as a:
Aleithian Dwarf (+2 Con, +2 Int, -4 Cha, Darkvision 90ft, Psionic Level 1)
Dragonborn (+2 Con, -2 Dex, Wings)
Domain Wizard (No Prohibited Schools, bonus spell slots for transmutation with +1 CL)

His way will be either Incantatrix (powerful class indeed, but the Metamagic Reduction (MMR) comes a bit late with lvl10) or Archmage (no prohibited schools is the most reason for this choice, also he is really powerful and fits my jack-of-all-trades-style I want to play).

Feats:
lvl1: Arcane Manipulation (big bonus spells with ring of wizardry) or Spell Thematics (spells can't be countered easily and +1 CL to serveral chosen spells) or Iron Will (for Incantatrix)
lvl3: Fiery Burst (+1 CL to fire spells and a Warlock-Style Attack)
lvl6: Improved Toughness (mass hp) or Knowledge Devotion (with the Collector of Stories skill trick a huge bonus for touch attacks)
lvl9: Spell Focus (for Archmage) or Arcane Thesis (as Incantatrix)
lvl12: Spell Focus (for Archmage) or a feat from above

First, I don't know how to get huge Metamagic Reduction, most are only for sorcerer or only one spell like Arcane Thesis or Metamagic School Focus, so incantatrix wouldn't be THAT powerful (prohibited school is also not nice). Do you know any good prestige class I could take at level 6-12 instead of Incantatrix? Or do you have any tipp what school would be ok to prohibit and what spell would be nice to empower with Metamagic via Arcane Thesis?

Thanks,
Tr011

Tyndmyr
2011-04-05, 07:44 AM
Well, you could go dragonblooded. That gets you access to practical metamagic.

Also note that incantatrix gets you free metamagic feats, as does Wizard 5. In particular, persist is often.

Also, carefully read the earlier incantatrix abilities.

Feytalist
2011-04-05, 07:47 AM
Dragonborn is dragonblooded, unless I am very much mistaken.

Tr011
2011-04-05, 07:50 AM
"When applying the chosen metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell"

Sadly, wizards can never empower their spells with Practical Metamagic.
and yeah, Dragonborn ist Dragonblooded.

Amnestic
2011-04-05, 07:52 AM
Dragonborn is dragonblooded, unless I am very much mistaken.

You are not. Dragonborn retain their types and subtypes but gain the Dragonblood subtype as well (Races of the Dragon Pg.10).

Tr011
2011-04-05, 09:02 AM
So, what do you think would be better? Allround-Archmage or Incantatrix? And what spell serves a Incantatrix well enough to be specialized in?

dextercorvia
2011-04-05, 01:35 PM
Incantrix is definitely stronger, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. If you want to generalize (or nearly), I recommend the following:

Race: Silverbrow Human
Class: Focused Diviner5/UltimateMagus10/Diviner+5
Banning: Evocation, Enchantment

Feats:
F1:Iron Will
F2:Reserves of Strength
1:Alacritous Cogitation
3:Versatile Spellcaster
5:Quicken Spell
6:Practical Metamagic
9:Rapid Metamagic

CL is awesome (+4 from UM, +3 from RoStr on long duration buffs), you can spontaneously cast any spell in your book. You have maybe half your spell levels with an odd # of slots that you would want to prepare something in.

Ultimate Magus gets UMD as a class skill, so you can pick up a bead of Karma for another +4 to your CL.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-05, 01:41 PM

Like most things in D&D, there's a feat for that.

Also, there is spont divination and Mage of the ARcane Order.

Oh, wizards can spont cast. =)

faceroll
2011-04-05, 02:56 PM

Sadly, wizards can never empower their spells with Practical Metamagic.
and yeah, Dragonborn ist Dragonblooded.

Empower is okay. But Persist on all your spells with a duration and all your allies' spells?
YEAAAAAH BOI

Andion Isurand
2011-04-05, 05:57 PM
Personally, I would go with the Arcane Gnome from Dragon Magazine 291 and also add the Arctic Template from Dragon Magazine 306 for a grand total result of...

-2 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha