PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to skype for online gaming

Rising Phoenix
2011-04-05, 07:46 AM
Hey all,

I am trying to organize an online gaming group and we are finding that skype doesn't quite make it. Any good alternatives for webcam conferencing?

Thanks in advance!

R.P.

Reynard
2011-04-05, 08:26 AM
Maptools/Gametable have built in macros and map-making features. Maptools has more features, but Gametable is smoother.

IM@work
2011-04-05, 08:58 AM
Huh, we ran across this exact same problem, Skype only supports 5 people... even with a premium account!
Does it have to be video for your group?

Mystral
2011-04-05, 09:03 AM
You could just go low-tech and use IRC or AIM Buddychat.

Or how about team speak, coupled with a map tool?

dsmiles
2011-04-05, 02:47 PM
Vassal? OpenRPG? Neither of those will work for you?

Erom
2011-04-05, 02:51 PM
I am going to guess that due to trying to use Skype you guys are going for either audio or video chat, not just text, correct? How essential is video? Cause skype is the only good/free multi person video chat program I'm aware of, and as you've noticed the multi person video is... flaky. If it's just audio you need, though, you've got a TON of options. My company uses Google Chat (nice cause you can also call real phones if you have a Google Voice account integrated with it) and Skype but there are many more options.

Rising Phoenix
2011-04-05, 05:28 PM
Hey folks,

Thanks for the suggestions. As these are my old players and circumstances have forced me to move away from them I would really like it if we could maintain the person to person feel of our sessions. However, if this isn't possible I am willing to work just with our voices (and of course we may have more then 5 people participating which won't work with skype...)

I've looked into map tools to supplement the voice chat. I am a new to it though so it will take some getting used to. I was just thinking if it would be easier just to simplify combat and live without a map.

If you know of anything else. I'd like to hear it.

All the best,

R.P.

Bagelz
2011-04-05, 09:48 PM
first off, I have no problem with making skype conference calls with up to 7 people (never tried video, or more poeple, but i'm sure it works with more), and it still allows the "share desktop" feature.

for voice (and not video) ventrillo and teamspeak are "gaming" standards, originally designed for teams/clans/guilds of online video games. but generally require a server with a monthly fee (though there are ways to run it locally if you are tech savy).

I haven't tried Aim voicechat or google voice, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

For the shared tabletop maptools is standard, but any online "whiteboard" will work and there are many out there some of which are specific for roleplaying games (i use screenmonkey).

begooler
2011-04-06, 12:05 AM
We use Ventrilo for voice and text. We used Skype, but were having problems with quality. It also doesn't support video for conferencing, unless they've changed something since we quit with it.

For maps, we use Google docs. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS WITH CAPITAL LETTERS. My DM made a spreadsheet document for character sheets, so he can take a look at your sheet while you update it live. (Our spreadsheet has formulas built in for adding bonuses, which is also convenient.) Maps of towns and such he will scan, or draw them with the Google drawing application. The niftiest thing is the game board. He scans the dungeon map and uses that as a background in the drawing application, and we place little circles with our initials as game tokens. You can move them around in real time and draw out areas of effect an such.

Surrealistik
2011-04-06, 12:07 AM
Another vote for Maptools + Skype; truly an awesome combo.

Kyto
2011-05-02, 07:08 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering how it was going? I want to try something similar. Also, are there any tutorials on using Gametable? I couldn't find any on youtube.