PDA

View Full Version : Sig spoiler limits?

101jir
2011-04-05, 08:23 AM
I know that generally speaking, spoilers count for 2 lines in a sig, so long as there are no spaces. I would imagine, however, that there should be some logical limit to this, right? After all, if you had 100 words in your sig, that should count for a lot more lines, or if you have 10 words in max size. Could I get an idea of about how many words it takes for spoilers to count for more than 2 lines? Maybe also how size would affect this.

Serpentine
2011-04-05, 08:32 AM
Not sure if I get what you're saying... but the signature limit refers to vertical range. The number of lines within the sig (from what I understand) doesn't matter, only how big your signature is with all spoilers closed. There is a limit to image size (dunno why, but I'm sure there's a reason), but I don't believe there's a text line limit. A signature counts as 2 lines, no matter what.

101jir
2011-04-05, 08:35 AM
Not sure if I get what you're saying... but the signature limit refers to vertical range. The number of lines within the sig (from what I understand) doesn't matter, only how big your signature is with all spoilers closed. There is a limit to image size (dunno why, but I'm sure there's a reason), but I don't believe there's a text line limit. A signature counts as 2 lines, no matter what.

So if I were to, say, do this:
I have a super huge signature with a lot a lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lot a lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota a lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lota lot lota lota words, and it is accepted.

It would be OK?

Serpentine
2011-04-05, 08:41 AM
Best not to push it. I'm sure the mods reserve the right to institute a "don't be annoying" policy (and, RAW, that may well fit under trolling).

101jir
2011-04-05, 08:42 AM
Best not to push it. I'm sure the mods reserve the right to institute a "don't be annoying" policy (and, RAW, that may well fit under trolling).

I don't mean with those words, just the basic idea of having a sig that size font and about that many words.

Renegade Paladin
2011-04-05, 08:55 AM
I don't mean with those words, just the basic idea of having a sig that size font and about that many words.
Why does it matter? They're in spoilers; nothing makes you open them.

Douglas
2011-04-05, 08:55 AM
Let's see, searching the rules post for 'spoiler' and looking in the signature section:
Any images in a spoiler may not exceed 300 pixels high by 470 pixels wide.
a spoiler with no blank lines around it is equivalent to 2 lines
The maximum total size for your avatar and every image in your signature, including those in spoilers cannot exceed 300kb.

That's everything. As far as text goes, length appears to be irrelevant as long as only people who click to open the spoiler will see it.

101jir
2011-04-05, 09:03 AM
I just realized, it cuts you off at 1000 characters anyway, so it can't be insanely long. I think that solves the question.

Serpentine
2011-04-05, 09:03 AM
I don't mean with those words, just the basic idea of having a sig that size font and about that many words.Then yes, I believe the rules allow it. Pending WoM.

SMEE
2011-04-05, 09:04 AM
Spoilers always count as two lines.
Usually, there's no limit for the amount of text that you can fit into it, but there's a size limit for images inside a spoiler.
Of course, if you write a book inside each spoiler, I will complain. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-04-05, 09:06 AM
If you right a book in less than 1000 characters, I'll be impressed, and figure you deserve the sig.

Spartacus
2011-04-05, 09:41 AM
Size per image I have no idea about, the total image size is there because even you if never open a spoiler, the browser still loads all the pictures contained therein. Don't want the three people in the world running on dial-up to be unable to load a page, do we?

Leecros
2011-04-05, 10:33 AM
Size per image I have no idea about, the total image size is there because even you if never open a spoiler, the browser still loads all the pictures contained therein. Don't want the three people in the world running on dial-up to be unable to load a page, do we?

That's hardly fair, the limit on images isn't for the handful of people who utilize crappy internet. It's there so that the server doesn't get overloaded. Instead of loading 30 posts and 30 avatars. It's now loading 30 posts, 30 avatars, and 30 images and depending on the size, quality, and the source of the image(where it's hosted), it could take up to 2/3 as long as everything else. Then note that there may be 1,000* people on at a time and since it takes longer to load a page then you get more people loading at the same time which puts more strain on the server. Ultimately you start to have unnecessary server issues and you either have to go to a better one or fix the issue(in this case, Large Images). A lot of 'Official' websites that have forums do the same thing and it isn't just because of the few that have slow internet. It can cause everyone problems.

*Note this figure was just made up on the top of my head for examples sake. It does not in any way describe how many people visit this site at any given time.

SMEE
2011-04-05, 11:02 AM
The images are often hosted at other web servers, not at GitP, though.
So loading those images wouldn't put an strain on GitP's server, but still makes the page slower to load for everyone, since the browser has to load the pictures from several other sources, and thus, the limits were put in place.

Even with broadband it takes some time to download tens of images with several hundred KB each.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-05, 01:58 PM
If you right a book in less than 1000 characters, I'll be impressed, and figure you deserve the sig.

Tempting. I'd need to abuse tinyurl and images, but even so...I'd have to write small.

Realistically, if I open a spoiler, and it's annoyingly long...I just click the spoiler button again. Problem solved.

Chess435
2011-04-05, 09:45 PM
Tempting. I'd need to abuse tinyurl and images, but even so...I'd have to write small.

Realistically, if I open a spoiler, and it's annoyingly long...I just click the spoiler button again. Problem solved.

So now you're a Theoretical Signature Optimizer? :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2011-04-06, 02:06 AM

Realistically, if I open a spoiler, and it's annoyingly long...I just click the spoiler button again. Problem solved.Ah, but there are limits to image size in spoilers. If you could get it looking like text you might be okay, but it would be against the RAW. Unless you wrote really really really little.

Renegade Paladin
2011-04-06, 07:37 AM
That's hardly fair, the limit on images isn't for the handful of people who utilize crappy internet. It's there so that the server doesn't get overloaded.
The Internet does not work that way. There's no strain to the GitP server for an end user's computer loading images that are not hosted on that server, any more than there would be for loading images in a separate tab or browser window. The tiny amount of resources taken up by text (longer than the image URL anyway) is more than that, since it actually takes (negligible) server resources to host the characters.

More threads get locked around here because people make wild guesses about how things relating to the site work without bothering to find out if they're right. You'd think they'd learn to stop doing it. :smalltongue:

SMEE
2011-04-06, 07:56 AM
And well, the question has been answered, so...

Thread closed.

Rawhide
2011-04-07, 12:47 AM
Just to clarify something said earlier. Even if your signature follows all of the signature rules to the letter, if we decide there is a problem with your signature, you will be asked to remove/change it. Also be sure you comply with all the other rules as you may be issued with a warning (such as for excessive formatting) or infraction (for more serious violations).