PDA

View Full Version : Thundercats Reboot

Psyren
2011-04-05, 11:31 AM
I searched but couldn't find a thread dedicated to this already, so...
If there is a discussion going on please point me in that direction.

First, the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfXSYYPAu74

The show will debut in July on CN and is apparently intended for older audiences. It will be darker than the original.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108076-First-Thundercats-Trailer-Breaks-Out-the-Lizards-and-Sword-Fights

The setting appears to be Thundera, where a slightly younger Lion-O first receives the Sword of Omens from his father, King Claudis. Mentor Jaga seems to also be present. Tygra and Cheetara feature prominently in the trailer, I saw Wily Kit and Kat, and there were some eerie foreshadowings of Mumm-ra as well, like his reflection in the sword's blade.

Oh, and Cheetara has - *ahem* - upgraded to HD as well:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108973-Cheetara-Gets-Boob-Job-In-New-ThunderCats

So, you know... discuss :smallsmile:

Psyren
2011-04-05, 04:03 PM
50+ views and not one Thundercats fan? Don't be shy!

bluewind95
2011-04-05, 04:07 PM
I loved the original Thundercats. But I can't watch trailers or see images while at work. Have patience. :smalltongue: I, at least, will reply once I actually see that stuff.

I'd heard about it, but they only had an image of Lion-O. I have hopes it will be good.

cdstephens
2011-04-05, 04:58 PM
Boob job? I'm down. :smallcool:

Aidan305
2011-04-05, 04:59 PM
I'm going to wait and see how they do it. It does look like it could be interesting though.

Sanguine
2011-04-05, 05:05 PM
Thundercats was before my time; though I do vaguely remember seeing some old reruns of it when I was a little kid and enjoying them. However between the awesomeness that is this trailer and my nostalgic memories I think I will try and track down the original Thundercats show before this reboot is released and I will definitely watch the Reboot.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-05, 06:10 PM
However between the awesomeness that is this trailer and my nostalgic memories I think I will try and track down the original Thundercats show before this reboot is released and I will definitely watch the Reboot.

Better do it quickly. There were 130 episodes of Thundercats that you need to watch!

Xefas
2011-04-05, 06:17 PM
So, I was like "Oh ****, Lion-O looks like even more of a badass this time around! And hey...that's uh, hey, his whiny-looking slightly effeminate son is coming over. Huh, I don't remember him having a son...oh, hey, why does that kid have Lion-O's magic sword? I...what? Noooooo! D="

j/k j/k, looks awesome.

TheEmerged
2011-04-05, 06:27 PM
Better do it quickly. There were 130 episodes of Thundercats that you need to watch!

/humor=on
Yeah, like that one where the bad guys develop this new weapon/power/tactic that completely wipes out the good guys until Liono uses the Sword of IwinOmens to restore everyone and nigh instantly beat the bad guys, who never again uses this weapon/power/tactic in coordination with another weapon/power/tactic that almost worked...
/humor=off

I said *humor*, not *sarcasm*, put down the pitchforks :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-04-05, 08:33 PM
Meh, I never watched the original as a kid so I probably won't catch this. Maybe this is just me, but I have a hard time taking a series seriously when the main character is a cat person (yeah, I apologize if I offend any diehard Thundercats fans or if that comes off as grossly inaccurate, but it is just my opinion (although I do watch and take seriously stupider stuff)). Also, is it just me but is or the font the name written in looks a lot like that of the font used on the cover of the Harry Potter books. It looks all jagged like it's trying to be lightning. That'd be a crossover I'd...maybe...want to see...?

Zevox
2011-04-05, 08:45 PM
I only have one thing to say:

They'd better just cut and paste the theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qd_IsxgAf8). Because there is no way they're going to top the old one.

Zevox

bluewind95
2011-04-05, 09:26 PM
Meh, I never watched the original as a kid so I probably won't catch this. Maybe this is just me, but I have a hard time taking a series seriously when the main character is a cat person (yeah, I apologize if I offend any diehard Thundercats fans or if that comes off as grossly inaccurate, but it is just my opinion (although I do watch and take seriously stupider stuff)). Also, is it just me but is or the font the name written in looks a lot like that of the font used on the cover of the Harry Potter books. It looks all jagged like it's trying to be lightning. That'd be a crossover I'd...maybe...want to see...?

The main characters are all feline-like, yeah.

As for the font.... if anything, Harry Potter took the font idea from Thundercats :smalltongue: . Though with that name, I think that the lightning-like font is fitting.

I don't think that crossover would really be fitting.

As for this new series... looks promising. I'll try to watch it!

Reverent-One
2011-04-05, 09:32 PM
Newer, longer trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opB2f1BUvPk)

I'm interested in it, at least.

bluewind95
2011-04-05, 09:34 PM
I can't watch the Youtube trailers... they're blocked in this country...

OracleofWuffing
2011-04-05, 09:38 PM
Well, snarf. Every snarfing old cartoon just has to get a snarfing gritty and edgier reboot. Or a snarfing movie. T-Minus, what, negative 50 until someone makes snarfing rebooted Thundercats lolcats?

Sorry, just never caught on to Thundercats. But I had to put up with it to get my cruddy Toonami T-Shirt...

Fjolnir
2011-04-05, 09:42 PM
The end of that trailer is great with the orchestral thunder cats theme at the end. Cheetara doesn't have very much larger breasts, she still appears to be mostly athletically trim. I am cautiously optimistic.

autumn1971
2011-04-06, 12:27 AM
I loved Thundercats when I was a kid, but having recently watched a couple of old episodes on-line, the original series was just terrible cheese. The voice-acting was deplorable.

Also, there must be an awful lot of Thundercats with identical names, since all the characters seem to be named directly after their apparant species followed by a random sound.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-06, 01:04 AM
I don't think that crossover would really be fitting.

I was joking but said crossover would be so bad it's...something.

Psyren
2011-04-06, 07:37 AM
Have patience.

Hush you, I waited 5 hours with nary a peep. :smalltongue:

/humor=on
Yeah, like that one where the bad guys develop this new weapon/power/tactic that completely wipes out the good guys until Liono uses the Sword of IwinOmens to restore everyone and nigh instantly beat the bad guys, who never again uses this weapon/power/tactic in coordination with another weapon/power/tactic that almost worked...

But that happened more than on- OHHHHH, I see what you did there :smallwink:

@ the guy who said they stole the font from Harry Potter... *raises pitchfork menacingly*

rakkoon
2011-04-06, 07:51 AM
Bluewind, try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWrh1axPj0M) one, it isn't blocked

Hmm, I loved it as a kid. Not sure about the reboot.
Looks kind of cool.

Where's Panthro? My favourite bondage character?

Psyren
2011-04-06, 07:55 AM
Where's Panthro? My favourite bondage character?

The Escapist article says he'll be back too (as The Big Guy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy), so he'll probably be a bit more muscular) but I haven't seen him yet. I only watched the initial trailer so far though.

EDIT: On the subject of the darker tone, it appears that (Reverent One's trailer link makes this clearer) the "catfolk" are enslaving the "lizardfolk." Making Mumm-ra and/or his mutants out to be the noble rebels. Is anyone else getting that vibe?

SDF
2011-04-06, 10:58 AM
I wanted this to be about a live action film. Mostly the mental image of Mr. Mistoffelees with a sword is funny to me.

Soilborn
2011-04-06, 11:57 AM
Newer, longer trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opB2f1BUvPk)

I'm interested in it, at least.
"I only ask that you fight like cats."

I see there's still some cheese to be found in the dialog. Not that I would have it any other way.

I personally never could get into the old show. I suppose I was exposed to it too late, and found it to be a cheesy and boring experience identical to a lot of other popular cartoons of the time. Glad to see the ante is being upped a little with this prequel/reboot/whatever it is.

I also got a strong Escaflone vibe from this trailer, in the sense that we have both guys in medieval armor fighting with swords and bows, as well as giant mechs firing missiles all over the place, all in supposedly the same battle. This is not a bad thing.

ninja_penguin
2011-04-06, 12:07 PM
This is not a bad thing.

Indeed. I was sitting at 'not sure if want' until the mechs showed up. Now DO WANT x a eleventy billion.

TheThan
2011-04-06, 12:26 PM
The only main that wasn’t in the vid was Panthro. Even Snarfer was in it. The show looks pretty cool even though I think that Lion-o looks a little wusy. Alas I don’t have cable anymore so I won’t be watching it.

Soilborn
2011-04-06, 12:50 PM
I've seen pictures with Panthro. He's Jet from Cowboy Bebop apparently.

Julian84
2011-04-06, 01:57 PM
Hm, I watched thundercats as a really little kid, and really loved it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. It definitely looks interesting, but it depends on how well they do against crappy-comedic-breather-stand-alone-episodes that I so despise :smallannoyed:

But I am intrigued by the mecha. Perhaps we'll have a voltron/thundercats crossover??!?!!1!! :smalltongue:

Asthix
2011-04-06, 02:15 PM
Thundercats are Ho?!

*Goes and puts on vintage Thundercats T-shirt.

*Sits back and waits with some lemonade. :smallcool:

rakkoon
2011-04-07, 03:37 AM
I sent the link to a friend, his response

"WANT!"