PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Weapon Focus

Mad Wizard
2011-04-05, 12:57 PM
So, Weapon Focus. It's generally considered a subpar feat. What about this: instead of giving a +1 to hit with a weapon, it gives you an effective +1 base attack bonus with the weapon for everything but qualifying for prestige classes, feats, etc. Would this make it worth taking?

Gamer Girl
2011-04-05, 01:03 PM
I don't get it? What would having an ''effective base attack bonus of +1'' even do?

Seerow
2011-04-05, 01:04 PM
I don't get it? What would having an ''effective base attack bonus of +1'' even do?

Give you an extra attack a level earlier, and a 5th attack at level 20 if you keep full BAB.

JonestheSpy
2011-04-05, 01:11 PM
My answer is to have it scale by incorporating other feats of the same tree as you gain levels: automatic weapon specialization three levels after you first take it, then greater weapon focus, etc. You still have to meet the prereqs, so it makes it much better for fighters than other classes, which is how it should be.

TOZ
2011-04-05, 01:24 PM
What Jones said, although I just make it scale off of BAB.

McSmack
2011-04-05, 01:51 PM
I agree. Have it read something like ' +1 to your attack rolls with the chosen weapon. This bonus increases to +2 when your base attack bonus reaches +5, +3 at base attack bonus 10, +4 at 15 and +5 at base attack bonus 20. '

Only better than what I wrote. Personally I'd also have it apply to weapon damage rolls.

Gavinfoxx
2011-04-05, 03:39 PM
Make it +1 to hit and damage, and make it apply to piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning damage...

Tyndmyr
2011-04-05, 03:50 PM
Use Weapon Groups. It fixes so many of these problems.

It's not that +1 to hit is bad...it's that it's unimpressive AND it locks you into a specific weapon type. Those two together are a terrible combo.

stainboy
2011-04-05, 07:31 PM
I don't think it needs fixing. It's an acceptable fallback feat after you grab the good stuff.

You can make the numbers bigger, but you can't really make it interesting. I'd rather be free to skip it for more interesting stuff without having to worry about taking a big hit to effectiveness.

Anxe
2011-04-05, 07:36 PM
I think if you "fixed" it the feat would become too good and then every fighter type would take it. The fix you've suggested is fine, but that's because its an insignificant difference.