PDA

View Full Version : sorcerer/wizard spells?

Kahlendrrari
2011-04-05, 03:26 PM
Is there a complete (as in ALL spells from ALL WotC books) listing of Sor/Wiz spells with ratings on how useful the spell is? I guess it would be nice too if they had what spell are better for each class as well.

I have tried yahoo, google, and Bing, and the closest thing I can find is the one from WotC. I have not looked at the so called "handbooks" that other people have made. The character im searching for is a generalist wizard /sorcerer/ Ultimate magus. I guess more of a Batman type on the wizard side and Mr. Blasty on the Sorcerer side with the added benefit of extra flexibility through UM.

Diarmuid
2011-04-05, 03:28 PM
Short answer, no.

There are comprehensive lists, but those generally dont go into any detail as to the usefulness of the spells.

There are handbooks, but those generally only discuss the most useful spells.

The magical hybrid you're looking for would be an absolute metric **** ton of work to put together.

Rebel7284
2011-04-05, 03:33 PM
Also, how useful spells are is very subjective. =)

faceroll
2011-04-05, 03:35 PM
Also, how useful spells are is very subjective. =)

Not really. Using a handful of metrics, you can rank the usefulness of most spells fairly easily for like 80% of the game.

Rebel7284
2011-04-05, 03:44 PM
Not really. Using a handful of metrics, you can rank the usefulness of most spells fairly easily for like 80% of the game.

Ok, and how many of those metrics will be subjective?

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly possible to rate spells. However, each campaign is different and each caster's playstyle is slightly different. So these ratings will never be 100% accurate.

TurtleKing
2011-04-05, 03:48 PM
The best chance on finding the most spells listed is the Spell Compendium. Doesn't rate them and doesn't have all of the spells such as the ones from core. That is your best bet.

Keld Denar
2011-04-05, 04:03 PM
Check out the "God's Tools" handbooks over on the wizards board. They are segmented by school. Treantmonk20 did a couple, Tsyo did a couple more. They are pretty good and cover most books. Nothing has all books though...

Tyndmyr
2011-04-05, 04:05 PM
The best chance on finding the most spells listed is the Spell Compendium. Doesn't rate them and doesn't have all of the spells such as the ones from core. That is your best bet.

And also doesn't contain an index by spell lists. This is immensely annoying.

I've actually started creating a master list myself. Judging by my progress, and the total number to evaluate, I estimate it'll be completed about two years after the zombies consume us all.

faceroll
2011-04-05, 04:18 PM
Ok, and how many of those metrics will be subjective?

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly possible to rate spells. However, each campaign is different and each caster's playstyle is slightly different. So these ratings will never be 100% accurate.

Give the internet the parameters and the internet will give you an optimal solution. You just have to be able to define the metrics. QQing about subjectivity sounds like laziness.

Rebel7284
2011-04-05, 04:32 PM
Give the internet the parameters and the internet will give you an optimal solution. You just have to be able to define the metrics. QQing about subjectivity sounds like laziness.

Pun pun is the optimal solution to D&D.

gorfnab
2011-04-05, 04:46 PM
Check out the "God's Tools" handbooks over on the wizards board. They are segmented by school. Treantmonk20 did a couple, Tsyo did a couple more. They are pretty good and cover most books. Nothing has all books though...
+1, nicely detailed list too

Here is a link to compiled guide with links to each school. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0)

faceroll
2011-04-05, 05:30 PM
Pun pun is the optimal solution to D&D.

What were your parameters for optimization?

Kahlendrrari
2011-04-05, 05:59 PM
I should state that I have NO expierience in playing D&D, but I have been piddling through the books since 3.0 was released, trying to understand the mechanics of the game. building the characters is kind of like exercise for my brain.... it's hard to explain.

Well, the character I made is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193865

The more I think about it, the more I want him to be like Teferi or Jace from MtG, or some other BLUE mage / planeswalker, kind of like "You can't do anything with out my permission, and the only permission I'm going to give you is no".

As I was building him, I was thinking of something along the lines of Abjurer/Telepath/Cerebromancer (Sp?) -ish. That way I could have a decent amount of permission/mindrape abilities, but that build lost too many caster levels. With the build I ended up with he's an 18th level character and casts as 18th in both Wizard and Sorcerer, but he only has the spell selections of a 12th level character in each. With the added benefit of being able to "burn" a slot or prepared spell in order to augment something he really needs to cast.

The downside to going with sorcerer is he's now MAD, but I think that it opens up alot of flexibility with his spell casting. I guess I could have used beguiler, but im unfamiliar with how the class actually works. (I guess I should read more into it.)

The upside of going wiz/psion was it was SAD, but as I stated before, he lost too many caster levels.

ericgrau
2011-04-05, 06:09 PM
Spell search engine that includes most books:
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php

Also provides the one line description for any spells found.

Kahlendrrari
2011-04-05, 06:22 PM
Oh, and one other thing, if I read the PHB correctly, in the part about how wizards gain more spells, I can copy a spell to my spellbook from a scroll, with the handy scribe scroll deal that wizards get at 1st level, that means, with enough time and money, any spell I learn as a sorcerer, I can copy to my spellbook. and with the Ultimate Magus class ability I can take a few spells in my spell book and learn to cast them as a Sorcerer.

ericgrau
2011-04-05, 06:29 PM
Depending on your interpretation of "Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook." you could write the sorcerer spell directly into your spellbook simply because you know it. Otherwise ya you could scribe the sorceror spell onto a scroll then copy it into your spellbook, which burns the scroll, to prepare as a wizard spell.

Kahlendrrari
2011-04-05, 07:27 PM
ALRIGHT!!!! I found Beguiler, and I am completely dumping Sorcerer for it!!!

It has all the Mindrape/trickster stuff I want, not to mention the skill selection = WIN!!!, I'm going re-build the character and hopefully get where I want to be... If you guys would look at it afterwards and throw some criticism my way as to what I can do to further strengthen it THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!

gorfnab
2011-04-05, 10:24 PM

It has all the Mindrape/trickster stuff I want, not to mention the skill selection = WIN!!!, I'm going re-build the character and hopefully get where I want to be... If you guys would look at it afterwards and throw some criticism my way as to what I can do to further strengthen it THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
Here is a Beguiler Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=81656vur692lpfbdv0f7qhrk85&topic=2322.0) that might be of use to you.

faceroll
2011-04-06, 03:31 AM

That's pretty much the feeling I got when I started playing a Beguiler, too. :smallbiggrin:

Feats:
versatile spell caster, from dragon magic, is WIN.
A one level dip in Mindbender, from Complete Arcane, is awesome. Being able to communicate telepathically while staying hidden is clutch.