PDA

View Full Version : Fawkes is Doing Science! And YOU Can Help!

Fawkes
2011-04-05, 06:35 PM
I'm conducting a research project about video game usage. As part of the experiment, I am required to use a survey to collect data on uses and gratifications. If you play video games, I'd appreciate it if you would fill out my short survey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L9Q7PT7). Every response helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-05, 06:52 PM
I'm pretty sure your survey includes multiple questions like

"I play video games so I can pretend to do things I actually can't"
"I play video games so I can experience impossible things"

It seemed a bit redundant.

Fawkes
2011-04-05, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure your survey includes multiple questions like

"I play video games so I can pretend to do things I actually can't"
"I play video games so I can experience impossible things"

It seemed a bit redundant.

Yeah, it is a bit. Don't worry, the questions were carefully picked.

(Thanks for taking the survey!)

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-05, 07:14 PM
Done and done.

Only five hours per day? That's the maximum cut-off line you can think of?

*feels shame for his 14 hours a day*

Trazoi
2011-04-05, 07:15 PM
It was slightly longer than I expected. I thought there would only be a couple of pages of questions, but it kept on going. Not for too long I'll grant you, but I was surprised. Most of the online surveys I've been requested to take on forums are usually only one page long. :smallwink:

Are you taking into account the demographics of where you are asking the survey? My hunch is that the GitP forums are likely to be heavily skewed towards particular tastes in games.

Spartacus
2011-04-05, 07:28 PM
Well, there you go. I assume this is for a stats class?

Inyssius Tor
2011-04-05, 07:43 PM
Mm.

Question 3.1 is lacking rather profoundly, omitting entire genres as it does. What if God of War is my favorite game? Or Super Mario Bros, or Metroid?

Question 3.2 has room for a "phone" option, but no space at all for any consoles produced before 2008? People still play PS2 and SNES games, you know. I certainly do.

Question 4.1 is mostly fine. "Anxious" and "easily upset" are hard to separate--they're practically synonyms. But "complex" and "open to new experiences" are just not linked qualities in any way. Lots of people are the former but not the latter; I myself am very much the latter and not at all the former.

Fawkes
2011-04-05, 07:44 PM
Thanks for helping out!

Are you taking into account the demographics of where you are asking the survey? My hunch is that the GitP forums are likely to be heavily skewed towards particular tastes in games.

Yeah, I'm assuming it would be a bit skewed in that regard. That's basically what those first few questions are for - to help sort into demographic. This also isn't the only place we're gathering data, but it's where I'm expecting the most participants.

Well, there you go. I assume this is for a stats class?

Media and Society, actually.

dsmiles
2011-04-05, 07:49 PM
Done.

Interesting survey. I don't think I've ever taken one on video game use before.

BladeofOblivion
2011-04-05, 07:52 PM
Media and Society, actually.

Would have guessed Psychology based on the questions, but hey.

ShortOne
2011-04-05, 08:56 PM
Done. I'd be interested to see the differences between men and women in some of the questions.

psilontech
2011-04-05, 10:28 PM
Did the survey, though I have a concern or two -

1) Some questions seem to be asked multiple times.

2) Given the fact that this is a voluntary sample, if this is any sort of serious study, the results would be thrown out after a brief glance and disregarded.

It IS hard to perform a 'Simple Random Sample' because of the nature of your survey, though so I forgive you. :smallsmile::smalltongue:

Mewtarthio
2011-04-05, 10:32 PM
1) Some questions seem to be asked multiple times.

That seems to be pretty common in all the surveys, personality tests, and questionnaires I've taken. I think the idea is to rephrase the question in a slightly different way to see how the wording affects your interpretation.

DaedalusMkV
2011-04-06, 02:53 AM
Daedalus has completed your puny human survey, though some questions seem slightly biased in their wording and he knows that his status as a member of this site innately skews your data.

Seriously, though, always happy to help a fellow student. We need all we can get, sometimes...

Gruffard
2011-04-06, 03:31 AM
Did the test, after taking a Psych class in college, I noticed your use of the same question posed a different way to see if people get a different reaction to different wording. Now that I think of it, I think answered some of the similar questions different ways... *shrug*

The data is going to uneven, since I doubt GitPG is a normal data set of the entire population... let alone the peeps that actually go to the Gaming (Other) subset, but I don't think it will be that bad of a data group, if you are looking for gamers, that are not exclusively Video Gamers.

Knaight
2011-04-06, 08:46 AM
Survey taken. That said, the genre question was a bit broad, I ended up clicking the three approximations despite innacuracies (Strategy games, despite hating RTS and only liking TBS, Puzzle, on account of what is essentially a strategy/puzzle hybrid, and Adventure, which is kind of closeish to a few games I play). Other than that, it seems pretty well put together, and the linked personality traits with no relation could generate some interesting results.

MeatShield#236
2011-04-06, 01:23 PM
Done. Happy to help.

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-04-06, 01:34 PM
Done. Quite happy to help.

Starbuck_II
2011-04-06, 07:05 PM
Finished. Happy to help.

Mewtarthio
2011-04-06, 07:11 PM
Finished. Happy to provide aid.