PDA

View Full Version : Changing implements

amaranth69
2011-04-05, 08:51 PM
Is there a feat which will allow a character to change implement types? Say a cleric wants to be able to use her weapon as an implement. Failing that, does an implement have to actually be in hand to use?

Thank you

Daftendirekt
2011-04-05, 09:43 PM
There's Arcane Implement Proficiency, but you have to already be an arcane class to take. You choose one implement group from another arcane class and can now use it for your implement attacks. The popular choice is Heavy Blades, which Swordmage offers to the lineup.

To use it for attacks, yeah, has to be in hand.

Also, there are lots of magical weapons that can also be used as implements.

Shades of Gray
2011-04-05, 09:43 PM
Alternate Implement Proficiency. (Arcane Power)

Tomes, Orbs, Wands, Staves, Rods, Light Blades, and Heavy Blades are considered to be implements.

Remember that when you use a light or heavy blade as an implement, you don't add the proficiency bonus on implement powers.

EDIT: Assassin'd.

Blackfang108
2011-04-05, 10:45 PM
To use it for attacks, yeah, has to be in hand.

Actually, this depends on the implement.

Holy Symbols don't need to be in hand to use.

tcrudisi
2011-04-05, 11:03 PM
Actually, this depends on the implement.

Holy Symbols don't need to be in hand to use.

Also, Ki Focus.

Alternate Arcane Implement Proficiency. (Arcane Power)

Tomes, Orbs, Wands, Staves, Rods, Light Blades, and Heavy Blades are considered to be implements.

Remember that when you use a light or heavy blade as an implement, you don't add the proficiency bonus on implement powers.

Also, you can get Ki Focus and Totems legitimately (multiclass). You can sneakily get Polearms and Axes (multiclass or AIP). I might have missed something, but I feel confident that as far as weapons are concerned, you can only get light blades, heavy blades, polearms, and axes.

Sol
2011-04-06, 12:25 AM
Moonbow Dedicate allows Shortbows to be used as divine or arcane implements if you worship sehanine.

But yeah, for your cleric, it's not too hard to keep a relatively current holy symbol around your neck while wielding whatever weapon you want.

Kurald Galain
2011-04-06, 04:11 AM
Is there a feat which will allow a character to change implement types?
The easiest way is to multiclass. For example, if you multiclass to sorcerer, you can now use sorcerer implements, which happens to include certain weapons (i.e. daggers and staffs).

Blackfang108
2011-04-06, 10:13 PM
Also, Ki Focus.

Yeah, wasn't sure, as the last time I saw one in the CB, it was in a weapon slot.

WitchSlayer
2011-04-06, 10:51 PM
Staff counts as a weapon and an implement, too.

Daftendirekt
2011-04-07, 12:28 AM
Staff counts as a weapon and an implement, too.

Cunning Quarterstaff used as an implement ftw.