PDA

View Full Version : Kings Quest rebooting after 13 years!

Leecros
2011-04-05, 09:05 PM
So, tonight i was perusing the internet out of boredom. Then i found an interesting post about Kings Quest and i decided to follow the leads.

*ahem*
After 13 years, the release and the crashed&burned Kings Quest 8: Mask of Eternity, Telltale Games, the current owner of the Kings Quest franchise announced in February that they were planning on rebooting the series (http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-764). This was of course a very exciting for me. I grew up with Kings Quest and have played all of them. Unfortunately i may be getting my hopes up way too much. I've never heard of Telltale Games and i'm not familiar with any of their work, but if they do well on Kings Quest....well, it was a major stepping stone to Sierra Entertainment's success.

For those who don't know, Kings Quest is an adventure game which chronicles the saga of the royal family of the Kingdom of Daventry. It's a puzzle-solving game where any object you can take may potentially be used to solve a puzzle in the future("If it's not nailed down, take it. If it is nailed down, check for loose nails."). It can be a long and frustrating game though, but it has an excellent storyline and interesting and funny characters. For more information i suggest reading the article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Quest). It really is one of the best adventure game i have ever played, i suggest picking up a copy of the Kings Quest Collection, which is a compilation of all of the Kings Quest games from 1 to 7.

Unfortunately though i worry about its success. Pure adventure games aren't nearly as popular as they were back when i was growing up. Which is why they tried to change the series up in Kings Quest 8, but that got rather average reviews. So currently the new start of the Kings Quest series is set to release in October 2011 of course I'm not holding my breath, it'll probably be delayed 6 months or so. A prequel to the old series, but I do hope it does well. Kings Quest was a brilliant game and I'd be disappointed if any hope for it to come back is ruined by a mixture of lack of interest and studio ineptness.:smallfrown:

Trazoi
2011-04-05, 09:11 PM
Telltale Games are the developers that did the episodic reboot of the Monkey Island series, as well as the latest Sam & Max and Strong Bad adventure games (Man, Monkey Island and King's Quest by the same developer, who would ever have thought it? :smallsmile:) I've played the Monkey Island and Strong Bad games, and if the King's Quest reboot is along those lines it'll be pretty sweet.

Mando Knight
2011-04-05, 09:17 PM
There was a thread awhile back about this... and I'll reiterate what I said there. I'm worried it won't be arbitrarily lethal enough.

Lord Seth
2011-04-05, 09:25 PM
King's Quest was okay, but there were too many unwinnable situations (then again, I think even one unwinnable situation is too many) as well as an unhealthy abundance of puzzles that required you to read the developer's minds as well as trial and error gameplay.

Leecros
2011-04-05, 09:35 PM
There was a thread awhile back about this... and I'll reiterate what I said there. I'm worried it won't be arbitrarily lethal enough.

Whoops....I must have missed it.:smallredface:

Winterwind
2011-04-06, 04:24 AM
Oooh... I think King's Quest I may have been the first game I played1 that used actual graphics, rather than ASCII code pseudo-graphics. Nice to hear it's being revived. :smallbiggrin:

1 Not that I actually managed to do much, considering I was something like 5 or 6 at the time, so on top of the crazy difficulty and the arbitrary deaths that not only were arbitrary and frustrating but genuinely scary to me - no kidding, I had a nightmare about that wolf that comes out of nowhere and kills you if you wander into the wrong screen more than once - there was that whole "not knowing English at all beside a few common phrases"-bit. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2011-04-06, 05:41 AM
It won't be like the old ones, that is for sure. A: These guys are Lucasarts, which means we can kiss the good old arbitrary and funny deaths goodbye . And B: If it is anything like their awful Back to the Future games, it will be pathetically easy.
I personally will be avoiding it until some form of demo comes out.