PDA

View Full Version : Will Save Modifier

Major
2011-04-05, 09:37 PM
Alright, so as we all know your will save is determined by your wisdom. Wisdom is a dump stat for my character so I'm trying to find a way to change the stat to either charisma or intelligence.

I know there are feats that change the save modifiers, but I'm curious if there are any for will saves because I can't seem to find it. I thought I saw one, but I can't find it...

Aergoth
2011-04-05, 09:41 PM
Without knowing the character build it's hard to say what might be of use. Steadfast determination changes Will Saves from Wisdom to Constitution (PH2) It has the added bonus of not letting you fail a fortitude save on a roll of one. It has the prerequisite of Endurance however.

With force of personality (Complete Adventurer) you can add Cha to will saves against mind affecting things.

Iron will would give you a +2 and it's core.

Major
2011-04-05, 09:42 PM
Well I found force of personality which changes will to charisma. Any way to change it to intelligence?

My constitution is also a dump stat since I took faerie mysteries initiate.

Edit: Just discovered the X stat to Y bonus thread.
Edit2: Just noticed that I can spend 1IP to add intelligence to saves with cunning insight. Thought it was just attack and damage till I re-read it.

Edit3: And Keen Intellect is the feat. Dragon Magazine, that adds to my intelligence.

Wow, look at that I ask then find the answer =__=

Aergoth
2011-04-05, 09:51 PM
Force of personality is only a bonus to will saves against mind affecting spells and the like.

Major
2011-04-05, 10:00 PM
Is it? Well what about Keen Intellect?

Edit: Checked force of personality. Aren't most will saves mind-effecting?

Veyr
2011-04-05, 10:52 PM
Many but not most. And getting outright immunity to mind-affecting things isn't too hard.

Major
2011-04-05, 11:31 PM
Well I'm thinking I'll go with Keen Intellect. Aside from replacing wisdom with intelligence to all will saves it also turns sense motive, heal, spot, and survival into intelligence based skills.

Diarmuid
2011-04-06, 08:53 AM
Just as a note, OA is a 3.0 source so you should make sure the DM is OK with you using that in a 3.5 game.

Vladislav
2011-04-06, 09:51 AM
It's also in 3.5

Special: This is an ancestor feat, first printed in OA but then updated to 3.5 in dragon magazine #318. It can only be taken at first level.

The last sentence might be a bit of a downer.

Diarmuid
2011-04-06, 09:52 AM
Well, Dragon Mag stuff is also another source that many DM's frown upon as well.

sonofzeal
2011-04-06, 10:03 AM
Scorpion's Resolve (Sandstorm) is almost unfairly better than Iron Will. Instead of a flat +2 Will saves, it's a +4 vs Mind-Affecting.

How many Will Saves can you name that aren't Mind-Affecting?

I thought so. :smallwink:

Vladislav
2011-04-06, 10:12 AM
How many Will Saves can you name that aren't Mind-Affecting?200 in core only. It's not an estimate or a hyperbole, by the way, it's an actual number. Two hundred (I'm good at looking up stuff on the web). Some highlights:

- Glitterdust
- Sanctuary
- Silent/Minor/Major Image
- Repulsion
- Bestow Curse
- Inflict XXX Wounds
- Heat/Chill Metal
- Slow

In fairness, however, most are beneficial spells ala Cure xxx Wounds.

Diarmuid
2011-04-06, 10:39 AM
Edit - bah stupid dbl post

Major
2011-04-06, 12:35 PM
Yeah I know its level one only. I'm asking the DM since we haven't started the game yet if I can trade one of my flaw feats for Keen intellect.

Sacrieur
2011-04-06, 12:53 PM
Scorpion's Resolve (Sandstorm) is almost unfairly better than Iron Will. Instead of a flat +2 Will saves, it's a +4 vs Mind-Affecting.

How many Will Saves can you name that aren't Mind-Affecting?

I thought so. :smallwink:

Not really worth it. An item that provides you with charges of Mind Blank is far better. If you're going to up your will save, do it all the way.

Anyway, pick up Iron Will, it's worth the +2. And then later pick up Indomitable Will (PHII) (it requires Iron Will). Pick up something that allows you to use Mind Blank and you'll be set. Indomitable Will allows you to roll 2d20 against all mind-affecting and fear effects and take the better, then there is the +2 from Iron Will.

If you're really nuts about it, you can go the Heroic Destiny feat chain and pick up Protected Destiny. You may add 1d6 to a save roll 1/day and may reroll a 1 1/day.