PDA

View Full Version : probably another common question about explosive runes

slaydemons
2011-04-05, 11:34 PM
Now I searched the forum and didn't see what I was looking for but I was wondering. Is it possible to explode multiple explosive runes if they all say the same thing and are within 5 ft of each other or would you have to read one at a time? as this gives me an idea to copy a balor and go out epically if the need arises where the ultimate evil is about to destroy the world

holywhippet
2011-04-05, 11:40 PM
Interesting question, technically the spell description doesn't say you can chain link them - but it does say this:

You and any characters you specifically instruct can read the protected writing without triggering the runes. Likewise, you can remove the runes whenever desired. Another creature can remove them with a successful dispel magic or erase spell, but attempting to dispel or erase the runes and failing to do so triggers the explosion.

You could argue that the runes being damaged from a different set of runes going off would trigger the explosion. However, a DM might make the runes or the object they are on make a saving throw to see if they are "erased" instead of merely damaged.

slaydemons
2011-04-05, 11:42 PM
it may be able to not be put on humans but no one says they can't be on paper pasted to your skin and I hope they just all explode at once doing a mega massive damage ultimate sacrifice for one player something everyone will remember for ever.

Grendus
2011-04-05, 11:42 PM
The book doesn't say, but many players go with the "they all go off" method, leading to suicide flashers (scribe dozens of exploding runes on the inside of a robe, then when you're losing, open your robe and blast your enemy to kingdom come - bonus points if you find some way to survive).

slaydemons
2011-04-05, 11:44 PM
The book doesn't say, but many players go with the "they all go off" method, leading to suicide flashers (scribe dozens of exploding runes on the inside of a robe, then when you're losing, open your robe and blast your enemy to kingdom come - bonus points if you find some way to survive).

I just want to rip off my shirt showing the pieces of paper saying in draconic some bad words then he dies as well as me

Edit: getting him to try to force me out of the way or get him into a grapple while his minion fetches his sword to finish off the wizard then BAM explosion

holywhippet
2011-04-06, 12:22 AM
I just want to rip off my shirt showing the pieces of paper saying in draconic some bad words then he dies as well as me

For bonus points, have a friendly cleric cast spell immunity on you. Doesn't matter if you have explosive runes from head to toe - none of them will affect you. Of course, chances are the explosion will collapse the roof onto you if you are indoors.

slaydemons
2011-04-06, 12:33 AM
For bonus points, have a friendly cleric cast spell immunity on you. Doesn't matter if you have explosive runes from head to toe - none of them will affect you. Of course, chances are the explosion will collapse the roof onto you if you are indoors.

It would ruin the moment of epic it would something like no one has spells left the guy isn't down the melee is having big trouble taking down the guy he tells his friends to run gets BBEG to grapple him as he gets his minions to bring a sword so he can stab the weakly wizard only to have the wizard rip open his shirt and die with him.

big teej
2011-04-06, 10:40 AM
thought.

inscribe an exploding rune onto the "barricade buckler" (song and silence)

when shrunk down to the size of a buckler, the rune is very tiny, and unlikely to be read.

when in time of need, activate the shield's 'barricade' ability, thus making the rune MUCH bigger, easier to read, and you're in cover behind the shield, and safe.

slaydemons
2011-04-06, 11:17 AM
again I am not looking to make this something that happens because one situation turns sour I only plan to use this trick once.

holywhippet
2011-04-06, 06:43 PM
It would ruin the moment of epic it would something like no one has spells left the guy isn't down the melee is having big trouble taking down the guy he tells his friends to run gets BBEG to grapple him as he gets his minions to bring a sword so he can stab the weakly wizard only to have the wizard rip open his shirt and die with him.

Not really a moment of epic - you need to tell the DM well in advance that you are enscribing runes on your body so you pretty much need to know in advance you can't win otherwise. If you are going to prepare for an explosive rune attack like that, might as well make sure can survive it.

A better suicide method would be the death throes spell - it doesn't even allow saving throws IIRC.

slaydemons
2011-04-06, 07:55 PM
Not really a moment of epic - you need to tell the DM well in advance that you are enscribing runes on your body so you pretty much need to know in advance you can't win otherwise. If you are going to prepare for an explosive rune attack like that, might as well make sure can survive it.

A better suicide method would be the death throes spell - it doesn't even allow saving throws IIRC.

you can't inscribe the runes to your body and I was going to use it on a wizard who is always prepared on his off time he used some of his spells to make some explosive runes paper and pasts it to his body so he can make sure the man dies if all else fails.

Kylarra
2011-04-06, 07:58 PM
the downside of prepping a bomb like that is that dispels are thrown around pretty commonly at that level and well...

gbprime
2011-04-06, 08:07 PM
What you need, my friend, is the patented Boom Box (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10605783&postcount=15). Patented by me, of course. :smallbiggrin:

byaku rai
2011-04-06, 08:18 PM
If you can find a way to keep them intact during the fighting and have a permissive DM, it should work. On the other hand, Greater Dispel Magic at will, and you being a wizard... I'd invest on a different method of going out with a bang if you're really looking to mess with a balor.

slaydemons
2011-04-06, 08:26 PM
the downside of prepping a bomb like that is that dispels are thrown around pretty commonly at that level and well...

yeah its not like they know that you have bombs strapped to you their probably not going to cast dispel magic in a 20 ft area around you more like dispel the magic on you to which the magic runes are really inscribed on your body so your fine

and gb I have heard of your marvelous box and I am paying of the simple 99 payments of 9.99 for said box

Edit: not going to use this on a balor I am copying a balor thing

Kylarra
2011-04-06, 08:31 PM
If you want to bet your life on the suicide bomb, then more power to you, but area dispels are pretty common when wizards like to use mirror image and the like to avoid being hit.