PDA

View Full Version : [3e] New Spells for Mathemagicians

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-04-06, 01:21 AM
I was in a punny mood in my computational physics class yesterday, and these spells are the result. Enjoy.

Tensor Transformation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor)
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target or Area: One creature, or cylinder (20-ft. radius, 100-ft. length)
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates or None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Define an arbitrary tensor T which takes as its input a velocity vector v and outputs the desired velocity vector v'.
This spell allows the spellcaster to temporarily alter the velocity of one or more creatures so that they move in a way the caster desires. You can choose to use tensor transformation in one of two ways, a targeted version or an area version.

First-Order Tensor
One creature is the target of this version of the spell. If the target fails a Will save, for the duration of the spell it may only move in straight lines. At your option, when the target takes a move action while under the effects of this spell, you may choose how the creature moves (effectively making its move action for it); the target must still be moved in a straight line, and using this option discharges the spell.

Tensor Field
A cylinder 10 feet in radius and 40 feet in length is the area of this version of the spell. You may orient the cylinder in whatever direction you desire; creatures within the cylinder experience objective directional gravity, pointing from one cap of the cylinder to the other. A creature caught in the area can attempt a Reflex save to secure itself when the spell strikes, if it has something to hold onto, and flying or levitating creatures can move against the transformed gravity as normal.

Material Component: Three wooden arrowheads, manipulated when casting the spell to control the direction of the affected creatures.

Otiluke's Generalized Sphere
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
A gambler asked a mathemagician to foretell the odds of his horse winning a race. The mathemagician replied, "First, assume a spherical horse...."
This spell allows the spellcaster to assume an ideal form for ease of movement. Upon casting this spell, you become a perfect colorless sphere precisely 5 feet in diameter. This grants you construct traits and blindsight 30 feet, replaces your existing modes of movement with a fly speed of 100 feet (perfect), and allows you to "take 10" on one Reflex saving throw per round for the spell's duration; however, you are unable to speak or use your normal senses, all of your limbs are subsumed into the new form (so you may become unable to cast spells without the appropriate metamagic feats and you lose any form-dependent abilities such as claw attacks or a breath weapon), and you may not take standard actions for the duration of the spell.

Material Component: Two marbles, one white and one black, which you move in circles around yourself as you cast the spell.

Mordenkainen's Exclusive Disjunction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_disjunction)
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Range: Short (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels
Area: 40-ft. radius emanation
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No
The exclusive disjunction logical operator is a type of logical disjunction on two operands that results in a value of true if exactly one of the operands has a value of true.
This spell allows the spellcaster to create a barrier to divide creatures by any criteria he desires. Choose a single quality (such as "is an animal" or "has red hair"). The quality must be an observable descriptor; you may not choose alignment, hit dice, creature type, or some other intangible quality. When the spell is cast, one of the following occurs, at your option:
all creatures within the area possessing the chosen quality are shunted to the nearest square outside of the radius and are unable to enter the area for the spell's duration;
all creatures within the area not possessing the chosen quality are shunted to the nearest square outside of the radius and are unable to enter the area for the spell's duration;
all creatures within the area possessing the chosen quality become unable to leave the area for the spell's duration;
all creatures within the area not possessing the chosen quality become unable to leave the area for the spell's duration.
Affected creatures are entitled to a Reflex save to avoid being shunted out of the area, but there is no saving throw to prevent being trapped/excluded. The spell creates a temporary physical barrier of force any time an affected creature attempts to enter or exit the area, thus any means (such as teleportation) that would allow a creature to enter or exit without physically crossing the barrier would remain effective.

Material Component: A scrap of parchment upon which is inscribed a set of multiple interlinked rings.

Rary's Mnemonic-in-Hand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule)
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
When choosing three vectors that must be at right angles to each other, there are two distinct solutions, so when expressing this idea in mathematics, one must remove the ambiguity of which solution is meant.
After casting this spell, you may reroll one ranged attack roll you make before the start of your next turn, taking the better result.

Doc Roc
2011-04-06, 01:44 AM
I.... Hurts.

Hurts.

Maerok
2011-04-06, 02:37 AM
Hmm, I think a Geometer would be into these spells. :smallbiggrin:

Fizban
2011-04-06, 02:45 AM
Good stuff, though I think Rary's Mnemonic-in-hand is carrying in the tradition of overpowered swift action 1st level spells. No reason not to carry wands of it if you ever use ranged attacks (once you have the cash of course-all 750gp of it). True Strike has always avoided this by action economy, but swift action spells don't have much of a penalty.

Kallisti
2011-04-06, 08:33 AM
You made a spell out of "first, assume a spherical horse." I think I love you.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-04-06, 11:27 AM
I.... Hurts.

Hurts.

You made a spell out of "first, assume a spherical horse." I think I love you.

I aim to please. :smallbiggrin:

Good stuff, though I think Rary's Mnemonic-in-hand is carrying in the tradition of overpowered swift action 1st level spells. No reason not to carry wands of it if you ever use ranged attacks (once you have the cash of course-all 750gp of it). True Strike has always avoided this by action economy, but swift action spells don't have much of a penalty.

Well, first of all, getting the puns out of my system was more important that balancing them. :smallwink: Secondly, I was comparing it to true strike and wraithstrike. A reroll-take-best effect effectively works out to about a +2 to +6 to the roll, based on what you need to hit, so a swift action for +5ish and avoiding natural 1s is probably equivalent to a standard action for +20. Compared to wraithstrike, it's definitely weaker--this doesn't apply to a full round of attacks, and the touch vs. regular disparity can easily add over +10 to attacks against armored opponents. So I think a swift 1st-level spells is right about where it should be, though I can lower it if you think it's too good.

DracoDei
2011-04-11, 12:38 PM
Does Mordenkainen's Exclusive Disjunction function against [Teleportation] effects? The "May not enter"/"unable to leave" bits would seem to imply this, but the mention of the creation of temporary physical barrier makes me unsure (can one us a [Teleportation] effect to get in/out of a Force Cage that doesn't have bars?)

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-11, 01:07 PM
I approve!

On complaint though, Otiluke's Generalized Sphere seems overly restricted. Especially the bit about being unable to take standard actions. It's a cool spell, but as it stands I'm not sure what use it has. The duration is a bit to short for long ranged flight and the inability to do basically anything but move seems like it would invalidate any combat use... maybe if you could switch forms as a swift action?

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-04-11, 01:27 PM
Does Mordenkainen's Exclusive Disjunction function against [Teleportation] effects? The "May not enter"/"unable to leave" bits would seem to imply this, but the mention of the creation of temporary physical barrier makes me unsure (can one us a [Teleportation] effect to get in/out of a Force Cage that doesn't have bars?)

I was intending for it to be a forcecage-like physical effect; I'll clarify that.

I approve!

On complaint though, Otiluke's Generalized Sphere seems overly restricted. Especially the bit about being unable to take standard actions. It's a cool spell, but as it stands I'm not sure what use it has. The duration is a bit to short for long ranged flight and the inability to do basically anything but move seems like it would invalidate any combat use... maybe if you could switch forms as a swift action?

Whoops, it's supposed to have a 10 min/level duration; it was meant to be an analog for overland flight that traded endurance for speed and added a bit of protection to be useful in combat. I'll change that as well.

Thanks for catching those, guys, and I'm glad you like them!

byaku rai
2011-04-11, 01:56 PM
Why? :smalleek: Why would you do such a terrible thing?

On the other hand, spherical horse. :smallbiggrin: Very nice.