PDA

View Full Version : (oWoD) Player help

Silus
2011-04-06, 01:57 AM
Sorry, title names are failing me at the moment.

So, here's the skinny. Recently started playing oWoD (Russian Brujah that beats people with a steel pipe) and in my first game, I/we ran into a snag of sorts.

Now, ya'll know World of Darkness. It's pretty darn Grimdark. Well, one guy is kinda....well, he's not getting into it, to put it lightly. The group makeup is as follows, more or less:

1. Order of Hermes/Son of Ether (Weapon: D. Eagle with "Fibonacci Bullets")
2. Cultist of Ecstasy/Dreamspeaker (Weapon: Not sure)
3. Fianna (Weapon: Explosives and shotgun)
4. Get of Fenris (Weapon: Claws?)
5 Brujah (Weapon: Trucker Pipe)

This guy however is running this:

Pooka (Catboy) with a pink handgun with Hello Kitty painted on it.

Now now, I'm not going to get all into people's preferences or anything, and I wouldn't have brought this up if he hadn't mentioned something last game. He mentioned (or rather questioned) why people don't take him or his characters seriously (Gee, I wonder why :smallamused: ). Now, while I've had issues with him in the past, I genuinely want to help him make a better character, one that is a viable asset to the party and meshes well with the rest (the guy is pretty bad at the whole team player thing). This one, well, overlooking the bright shades of pink in a Grimdark setting, isn't faring well either as a viable character or as a party member (My Brujah is a hair away from turning the catboy into a new wallet).

Any advice at all would be appreciated. I'm thinking of mentioning this to him either before or during the next game. Since I'm Skyping in, it'll make it crazy hard to make it private.

Caliphbubba
2011-04-06, 07:52 AM
I've always found it very difficult to integrate a Changeling into a mixed group of supernaturals in the oWoD. Depending on how old your Brujah is you might end up nuking him just by being near. Old Vampires are pretty banal creatures if memory serves.

Is he a Seelie Pooka? I don't know, if he is dead set on playing a Changling I'd suggest a different kith. But you work with what ya got. If it were me, I'd concentrate on things I could do that the other group members might have difficulty with. A big one might be interacting with humans for this character.

I'd remind him that the lies a Pooka tells can be subtle and insidious, not just wacky. "killing" pranks, instead of goofy ones. alien and macabre outlooks.

If its a combat heavy chronicle I think he's out of luck. play a unseelie redcap or troll instead.

bladesyz
2011-04-06, 09:03 AM
I've always found it very difficult to integrate a Changeling into a mixed group of supernaturals in the oWoD. Depending on how old your Brujah is you might end up nuking him just by being near. Old Vampires are pretty banal creatures if memory serves.

It's my experience that WoD cross-overs are just BAD. Inevitably, the mages will PWN everyone else. The only character weaker than the Brujah in that group is the changeling.

Caliphbubba
2011-04-06, 09:13 AM
It's my experience that WoD cross-overs are just BAD. Inevitably, the mages will PWN everyone else. The only character weaker than the Brujah in that group is the changeling.

yes and no. Magical Effects are hard to pull off at low Arete ratings. especially vulger ones. Crinos Garou, celerity/potence always work. but It's likely not PVP.

Silus
2011-04-06, 01:01 PM

Is he a Seelie Pooka? I don't know, if he is dead set on playing a Changling I'd suggest a different kith. But you work with what ya got. If it were me, I'd concentrate on things I could do that the other group members might have difficulty with. A big one might be interacting with humans for this character.

I'd remind him that the lies a Pooka tells can be subtle and insidious, not just wacky. "killing" pranks, instead of goofy ones. alien and macabre outlooks.

If its a combat heavy chronicle I think he's out of luck. play a unseelie redcap or troll instead.

As far as I am aware, the chronicle is a murder mystery with a little combat. We're only two session in though, so it could really go anywhere.

I'm unsure if he is a Seelie Pooka or not. All I really know is he looks like a catboy (like from the anime/manga Loveless) and he can talk to inanimate objects (spent like a good 20 minutes questioning a door).

The_Jackal
2011-04-06, 03:00 PM
Pooka (Catboy) with a pink handgun with Hello Kitty painted on it.

Kick him. He doesn't want to play, he wants to ruin everyone else's fun.

Silus
2011-04-06, 03:35 PM
Kick him. He doesn't want to play, he wants to ruin everyone else's fun.

Scary thing is, the guy has this thing for/with Hello Kitty IRL. Most of the characters that were made are a bit like the players, so I guess he's trying to play himself or something, which obviously does not translate well into the setting and system.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-06, 03:44 PM
Scary thing is, the guy has this thing for/with Hello Kitty IRL. Most of the characters that were made are a bit like the players, so I guess he's trying to play himself or something, which obviously does not translate well into the setting and system.

Why not? He is a Changeling. He is one of the last beacons of imagination and weird things in a world of banality, which is lethal to him. If he wants to stave it off with a pink pistol with Hello Kitty on it, why would you tell him otherwise?

Sure, he might get a lot of flak and laughs from people in the setting, but there is no reason why this should be a problem around the table.

Silus
2011-04-06, 03:55 PM
Why not? He is a Changeling. He is one of the last beacons of imagination and weird things in a world of banality, which is lethal to him. If he wants to stave it off with a pink pistol with Hello Kitty on it, why would you tell him otherwise?

Sure, he might get a lot of flak and laughs from people in the setting, but there is no reason why this should be a problem around the table.

While true, he did mention that he was tired of people not taking his characters seriously. And it's kinda hard to take a catboy with a Hello Kitty Glock seriously.

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-06, 03:57 PM
Was he referring to IC or OOC? IC, I see no reason why his character should be taken seriously (unless he is really dangerous with the gun). OOC, I see no reason why he shouldn't be.

Silus
2011-04-06, 04:06 PM
Was he referring to IC or OOC? IC, I see no reason why his character should be taken seriously (unless he is really dangerous with the gun). OOC, I see no reason why he shouldn't be.

Out of character actually.

He's trying to have his character be the "cute" character.

Here's some pics he sent my way during the game:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Yuyusgun.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Yuyucharacter.jpg

Kinda hard to take that seriously when you have a pair of werewolves, a pair of mages, one of which could shoot down the moon, and a Vamp that wouldn't be out of place in 30 Days of Night.

bladesyz
2011-04-06, 04:08 PM

It depends on how he plays the game. A "Hello Kitty" gun is pretty superficial. The real question is, what does he do in game?

Kinda hard to take that seriously when you have a pair of werewolves, a pair of mages, one of which could shoot down the moon, and a Vamp that wouldn't be out of place in 30 Days of Night.

Well, I guess the question is, why is your Brujah even hanging around this guy, instead of draining him dry and getting high on his fairy blood?

Why are the Garou even letting him hang around them instead of just batting him 1000 miles away?

Why aren't the Mages putting him in a bottle and using him to power their spells?

Silus
2011-04-06, 04:11 PM
It depends on how he plays the game. A "Hello Kitty" gun is pretty superficial. The real question is, what does he do in game?

Honestly, most I remember from that game was him arguing with the Storyteller about what "bottom of the round" meant and him spending a good 20 minutes or so questioning a door.

Also, he apparently took the flaw "Obsession (Hello Kitty)".

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-06, 04:13 PM
That's what Changelings are, though. They are the dying light of the World of Darkness. They do stand out among the grim banality of the world. The narrative of a changeling is different than the narrative of a mage, which is different from the narrative of a werewolf, which is different from a vampire, so on and so forth. Playing a changeling makes a a certain statement. Changelings are supposed to be depressing, due to how much they stand out from others. The other players just aren't happy with changelings, it seems, rather than how this particular changeling is played.

By STing a mixed-game, you have to accept that different splats have different themes and priorities, and if you don't feel you can cater to all of them, you should not allow them to play different splats.

EDIT: And if you are not the ST, you have to make this clear to the ST.

Silus
2011-04-06, 04:17 PM
*Nods* The Storyteller does not have any prior experience with Changlings as far as I am aware, so everyone is kinda going into this blind.

And it was only one session. Suppose I'll wait one more before I decide if I'm gonna have a talk with him (if my Vampire doesn't kill him first for constantly pestering him).

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-06, 04:20 PM
You all have to be aware that playing in a mixed game of World of Darkness is a trying experience. While this holds true even in the mostly uniform mechanics of new World of Darkness, classic World of Darkness should be entered very carefully for even more reasons. The ST has to handle the different expectations and styles of different splats, their differences in power level and their unique mechanics. If the ST lacks experience, it might be easier to scrap the game altogether and make it a single-splat game. I would suggest Werewolves.

Silus
2011-04-06, 04:23 PM
Actually, I think the ST has the most experience with Mage, so I think if it came down to it, we'd run that (I mean, she figured out how to bring a Vampire back to life within the bounds of the rules).