PDA

View Full Version : Mansions of Madness... [Team 2][IC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Saldre
2011-04-06, 02:46 AM
Chapter I

The Man That Wasn't There.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/Imperial_aquila2.png?t=1302073800
Thought of the Day:
There is nothing to fear but failure

A blood curdling shriek rips across the eerily silent hallway; hurled from somewhere behind the ominous doorway ahead of you. The voices are familiar; sparking memories still fresh in your minds- to some eliciting an anticipatory thrill, to others the throbbing pains of old scars.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/Hallway.jpg?t=1302074632

The solemn tapping of your footsteps punctuates the screams of agony as you slowly advance towards your destination; unsure of what to expect with your meeting with the Inquisitor. You could not help but notice that, throughout your time in his service, few have ever been summoned to his private “Interrogation Chambers” and fewer still have returned, or in any case accepted, to speak of what had happened.

Perhaps he’d finally noticed you; your useful talents and impeccable skills: your faultless service to his cause... or one success too many?

Then again, your entire cell was gathered- why would he single you out?

Doubt is a sign of weakness- Imperial Creed Echoes in your mind.

It is far too late to falter now- as you stand before the graying doorways, you have no choice: extending a firm hand forward, you push them open and walk into the gloomy room beyond, alongside the rest of the group.

~

"You're Late."

Inquisitor Soldevan’s somber tone greets you- followed by another excruciating scream and a nauseating metallic smell that floods out from the room, leaving a bitter aftertaste in your mouth and a knot in your stomach.

Their source is immediately apparent, taking up the majority of the chamber. Hanging on a large metallic blood drenched board- feet, waist, hands and neck firmly bound by metal bars- a man writhes in pain, large sections of his innards exposed, his flesh flayed to the bone. His chest, an open cavity- is empty. Instead, cables- buried into his arms, his shoulders, his legs- spread out towards various containers lining the walls; each containing a floating organ, pulsing with energy.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/4190936aaa.jpg?t=1302075232

"I have called you here today...” You hear the Inquisitor say, and turn your attention to him: a sharply dressed man, in a heavily decorated military uniform, standing next to an old, metallic podium upon which several pale green lights glow faintly, only a few meters ahead of you. “Because I have heard of your... work...” he continues, before pressing one of the lights- causing a bolt to course trough one of the containers and another horrid scream to erupt from the hanging man’s desiccated throat.

A chill runs down your spine, it was as you suspected: soon the man would die; and another would need to take his place. The inquisitor turns to face the group, eyeing each Individual momentarily.

“I am proud to have such acolytes in my retinue.” He says, and you hear a faint sigh of relief from within the group- or was it your own breath releasing your bottled tension... “As such, I have a special task for your cell; a matter of personal importance.”

He raises a hand, and you spot- held tightly between his fingers, a small data slate. Following a subtle click, a large screen whirs on a nearby wall as it slowly descends and locks into place. Another press of a different button and the screen flickers on- the image adjusting into that of a young man with blond hair and blue eyes, in his late twenties- his clothing fanciful; clearly of noble origin.

“This is Andreyus Keetling.” He states, before turning to face the group. “According to his sister, he has been missing for two weeks now- and the Local Arbites have been unable; or unwilling, to find any leads.” He then turns his attention back to the consol ahead of him.

“I expect you to travel to Prudenza, a small coastal hive here on Malfi.” He continues, pressing another button on the data-slate in his hand. A map of the planet replaces the nobleman’s picture, and quickly centers on a small, isolated hive on a corner of the continent. “Prudenza Used to be a prominent port-town. Until that is, an accident shattered the rail systems connecting it to the rest of the hive; leaving it rather isolated, and making it a rather difficult location from which to transport large quantities of goods. Though repairs started years ago, they are nowhere near complete: as such, the hive has been more or less cast aside by the Administratum; and is now a hotbed of criminal activity.

(A scream interrupts the Inquisitor, who pauses for a moment before continuing.)

You are well aware that vendettas in Malfi are commonplace; as such, it is Imperative that the situation not devolve into a blood bath: though Prudenza is isolated; these nobles are all connected- by ilk or marriage; and such an incident could spark a blood feud across the entire planet.

Remain subtle, and discreet with your investigation, regardless of what you find. Do not attempt to contact me before your task is complete, one way or the other: you never know who might be listening. If word of our involvement reaches the wrong ears, then hasty conclusions would quickly be drawn- and that would lead us back to the bloodbath- you are strictly to remain undercover. In two weeks time, I will send a shuttle to a predetermined location for a pickup- That should be more then enough time.

(Another scream interrupts him once more, but is silenced abruptly.)

Now, I have secured you transport to the hive: Head up the landing pad, you'll be leaving once you have your things ready. Once there, you’ll have to fend for yourselves for a few weeks at least.

First, you’ll want to meet with Sarah Keetling, his sister: she’ll tell you anything else you need to know- you’ll be given their familial mansion’s coordinates on the transport.”

He concludes with a stern nod and another quick press of the data slate- the screen begins to rise towards the ceiling out of view. Without as much as giving you a chance to ask questions, he waves you off (to your great relief) - but as you turn to leave, he calls out to you- freezing you in your tracks.

“Oh, and acolytes- Keep in mind: the Keetlings are personal friends of mine. Their father, before his untimely passing, was a staunch supporter of my research- and provided valuable aid to the Inquisition.

I trust you’ll succeed in this task; I wouldn’t want to have to find out what went wrong.”

You turn to step out of the room, letting the doors closing behind you- eager to leave the screaming behind- In retrospect; it wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be.

Ah, first post! You have left the Inquisitor, with only the Landing Bay to look forward too- and two weeks in a relatively isolated Hive! Feel free to start chatting as you make your way back trough the ivory hallway and to Inquisitor Soldevan's head-quarter's landing bay.

Chameon
2011-04-06, 04:22 AM
"Oooooh, that was such a beautifully maintained room!" Grendel states, walking far behind the remainder of his fellow acolytes, remembering previously complaints about his smell. "I mean, the Arbites did well, but our Inquisitor? Such a marvelously brilliant man at that artform. Did you see those wires? WONDERFUL design! I must remember this for future use! I owe this great man much assistance..." eventually, his nearly incoherent babble that happens every time an assignment is given by the Inquisitor, in any format, be it through any number of proxies, to him or any of his allies, is droned out, as the blather eventually drones down into what he has, effectively, learned by rote. He follows, directly, Sejast Novus, showing him the most respect and applauding him aloud several times in his statement, never refraining from mentioning Lenk's kindness in bringing him to the Inquisitor. His overall inane blathering is, however, for the most part ignored.

Talkkno
2011-04-06, 03:23 PM
Lenk thinks to himself for a moment as they were unceremoniously kicked out of the Inquisitors room, shrugging his shoulders as he takes out a data slate, searching its numerous entries, nodding his head every once and a while.

"I think I might have some local info on Prudenza, I'm pretty sure I did a run their once, hoping to dig up some contacts." He remarks absentmindly as he furiously screens the data slate.

Common Lore(Underworld) +10

brolthemighty
2011-04-06, 04:27 PM
Walking down the hall, Sejasts thinks back to what he saw, "Well, the master was in a good mood this time." Smiling a little, remembering his lessons in interrogation with the old Inquisitor, he turns his ample mind towards the task at hand. "Right, so. Prudenza. Lenk, if you've got any local info that would be helpful. Local contacts would be even better."

"I will see you all at the ship."

As Sejast walks towards his quarters to gather his things, his thoughts turn inward.

Az, wake up. I know you've been listening. I need everything that's pertinent to our current situation. Info on Prudenza itself preferably more in-depth then what we were given [Common Lore(Imperium)]; Info on the Noble houses there, and the current political goings-on [Common Lore(Underworld)]; any of the major cults in the area [Forbidden Lore(Cults)]; and how about the current state of the Church on Malfi, who the ruler is, as well as their philosophies [Common Lore(Ecclesiarchy)]. I would prefer to have a picture of the kind of mess we're jumping into before getting there as you can imagine.

Rolls:
Target is 63 before bonuses
[Common Lore(Imperium)] [62] reroll if failed [16]
[Common Lore(Underworld)] [94] reroll if failed [5]
[Forbidden Lore(Cults)] [62] reroll if failed [74]
[Common Lore(Ecclesiarchy)] [51] reroll if failed [74]

Alastorz
2011-04-07, 12:22 AM
Zolonov looks clearly unimpressed with what he saw inside. In fact, he seems to have a very hard time to refrain from yawning.

''I hope it isn't going to be half as boring as I expect. On the other hand, displeasing this man might be a very efficient way to die. I don't blame him, I'm among those who think that life is overrated, just not my own.''

He lights a Lho-stick and waves to the others with the back of his hand while he is walking away. He doesn't seem to care about much.

Saldre
2011-04-07, 06:13 PM
Lenk:

Your data-slate beeps loudly and the dark screen flashes to life before your eyes, displaying, displaying your private cache of information. A quick search through your archives and the name of the Hive comes up rather quickly.

Prudenza

Crime Rates: Rising quickly (An estimated 292% since the destruction of the railway.)

On-Location Clientele: Consists of Various nobles who control coastal domains, often vacationing in the Hive. Its isolation has made them receptive to various unconventional methods of amusement- like they say, “When the cat’s away, the mice will play”.

Lucrative Ventures: Its isolated nature makes it very attractive for Crime Lords who can afford to transport goods to other hives privately; or to those who have smaller cargo that needs to bypass by strict customs. Not to mention the Local Clientele that has given rise to a successful drugs & Exotic objects market.

Local Population: Very receptive to work, easy to hire into your service- With the Rails down, everybody needs to feed themselves- Priorities have shifted {Note- Loyalty to Local Zone Controller: Fear > Thrones}.

Local Crime Lords: Fluctuating; only the richest thrive- Constant battles are fought in order to establish control over transportation hubs, unhindered access to the Space Port or methods of local distribution.

With that, the screen flickers off- it seems to be the entirety of your report on the Hive.

Sejast

At first, there is no reaction- no sound- nothing. Only then do you notice that even the beating of your heart seems to fade away, consumed by the oppressive silence- only to be replaced by another- more chilling sound.

An eerie slithering, as if a large snake was dragging itself towards you. Soon, you feel it wrap itself around your leg- slowly climbing over your body. Seconds later, it ripples the sleeves of your robes- tightening them over your arm. Finally, you feel a heavy weight over your shoulder- and the flickering of something wet besides your ear, akin to a serpent’s tongue.

“Patronizing me already, sSsavant?" It hisses into your ear, and you feel its voice worming into your ear, burrowing into the depths of your psyche. “Do not presSsume to be the center of my world...”

The weight shifts from one shoulder to the next, winding around your neck.

“You wisSsh to know then... What is Pertinent?”

You hear a faint chuckle, filled with disdain, before they flood your mind: hundreds of thousands of faces, melding together in an amalgam of voices and information. A million stories, a multitude of lives- all citizens of the Hive, come together into a perfect singularity- before they vanish, and leave you only with a faint headache and the slimy tone of the voice resuming its speech.

“Remember, adept- I am not your personal Library... But I shall ansSswer your quesSsstionsSsss ThisSs time; for they amuse me...

Prudenza is... a “pleasant retreat”... A gathering place of nobles, who esSscape there from the toil of their daily lives... Retreating to familial domains... how tragic, to be a noble on Malfi... don’t you agree?” It snickers, sending a chill down your spine.

“Who’s there- and who isn’t? You should check your little Black Book, I am sSsure some names will pop up... Everybody has a mansion or a manor there... Even the BelasSscosSs... Oh; sSsuprised? You should be- they UsSsed it to esSscape your constant criesSs for attention...” It continues, its tone now amused, almost playful.

“InteresSsted in joining any, are we? To lisSst them would take yearsSs- From the amateursSs to the High PriesSts, they all thrive on Malfi- You would not want the InquisSsitor to get a List; You might not like what’sSs on it...” Brief flashes of images, people bearing a distinctly familiar look, accompany its answer.

“As for the Church of Malfi...” And here, a snicker interrupts his answer. The voice then recites, in a mocking tone: “The Malfian Church is a Large Organisation, split into three Factions: The Eclesiarchy, the Noble-linked Clergy, and the Malfian PuritansSs- In your case, it’s the latter you have to worry about: but they have an ever weakening grip on Prudenza’s population... The noblesS Sslip into decadence, the population into desSspair...” It concludes, slowly fading away into silence. You feel it sliding off your shoulders, the burden of its weight lessening.

“sSsoon, it will be time for change.” The whispers cease, and the voice is gone- leaving you to your thoughts.

Zolonov:

His footsteps echo behind you. You recognize them, for they are distinct: different from those of the others and unlike those of anyone, or anything else, for that matter. Slow- deliberate- resolute: Hoofs slamming into the ground with enough force to shatter it.

At first, you wondered if the others could hear them- fearing that one day they would turn and ask you about the stranger following you; your dark companion.

Though he is always out of sight, his voice booms besides you- drowning out the sounds and noises of your daily life- demanding your attention. And now, in the cold hallway leading out of the Inquisitor’s private chambers, he speaks to you once more...

“Tired are we?” He chuckles darkly; his voice deep and powerful. “I remember when you used to scream for hours...” Visions of your past journey flash onto the ivory walls on either side of you as you walk forward with the remainder of the group.

“Soldevan is a fool; does he think his games will help him understand?” He asks, amused. "There is only one path to enlightenment..."

You feel his attention, and yours, turn to your oblivious "friends".

“Soon, They too will come to know fear as you have.”

brolthemighty
2011-04-07, 08:50 PM
Rubbing his temples, Sejast grimaces at the feel of Azthrogal on his shoulder...as well as his thoughts.

Az, must we do this EVERY time I need even a scrap of information. You know the deal. I don't spread your name everywhere, you give me the information I need. I asked you for information, and you gave me pretty much nothing but a headache. Keep this **** up, and I'll be sure to have you turned into a thrice bound daemonhost, instead of giving you the freedom you have now.

Now, back to business. I need the names of say...the top 3 most powerful cults in that Hive. I don't care if they're inhouse or not. Did you really think I didn't know? Now who's the arrogant one? Hmm.

You have knowledge beyond any of us mere mortals Az, I know that. But I also know that you REALLY don't want your name to get out. So be a dear, and get me that info. This can be a very lucrative arrangement for the both of us.

Alastorz
2011-04-08, 01:20 AM
Zolonov heads straight to the landing pad. He seems distracted.
Response to the dark companion :
''Come on big boy, I don't even know what fear means anymore. I suppose I should thank you for that. Anyway, you should remember who's the boss here. I know that, in the end, you will win. However, until then, be quiet.''

After a few minutes, he grabs a second Lho-stick. He then turns toward the others and the Lho-stick seems to have disappeared.
''So, anyone knows anything about our assignment that could help us all survive a few more days?''

Talkkno
2011-04-08, 02:22 AM
Lenk turns to Zolonov as he internalizes the information presented.

"Its going to somewhat dangerous, with what I have here, seems like that the hive on the lower levels have devolved into warlordism, so its a rather unstable situation to say the least. On the plus side, at least we won't have any adapta interference in our work." He says, as he puts the data slate into one of his many pockets.

brolthemighty
2011-04-08, 02:48 AM
Walking at a brisk pace, Sejast turns his head. "I know....SOMETHING, I just need to remember what it is. Let me sort my thoughts, and I should be able to give you a bit more on the flight. This should be interesting to say the least, two weeks is not a lot of time per se, especially when dealing with Home...but we will see." He continues walking muttering to himself.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-08, 04:53 PM
Anaster follows his companions, glaring at their backs, most of all for their lack of culture and their relative poverty. He alternates between this and peering at his data-slate. "Ugh, Prudenza. Little nothing of a town these days, by all comparisons. I do know about the Keetlings, though. Not a bad sort, nowhere near the reputation as my family," he smiles sourly, fingers of one hand tracing the other forearm of his tailored shirt absent-mindedly. "Ah well, those mudbloods have no idea what they're in for. Shame about Andreyus, either way. Maybe he wasn't vicious enough to survive here on Malfi."

Common Lore: Underworld(vs. TN 40) [roll0]

Chameon
2011-04-09, 12:57 AM
Inevitably, the fact that we're going onto a small ship with a crew other then just the acolytes hits Grendel, and he stops mid statement. For a moment, he stares into space then he states "You know....I should probably do something to avoid repetition, but then I don't get to see the cleansing fire again...hmmm....." With that, after only five seconds of standing still in deliberation, he ran off to find a servant and request a cage for his pet. A big one. Rook cawed in demi-amusement.

Saldre
2011-04-09, 12:59 AM
Anaster:

You’re quite certain you have heard of the Keetlings before, but have never paid them any attention. There is a tinge of certainty in your statements; but all in all- they were never important enough to bother.
Hopefully, you have jogged Sejast’s memory at least.
Sejast:

Though Az proved difficult, as he often is when he is summoned; you were not completely helpless without him. You remember reading a report on Prudenza at one point or another; of the Great Quake that shook the city and shattered the railing systems connecting it with the rest of the world- and the many conspiracy theories attempting to explain its causes- Rumors and official sources blamed everyone and everything from an overworked workers rebellion to the bitter revenge of noble families wanting to harm the city’s welfare: though the culprit was never found, the lives of the million or so inhabitants was changed forever- discarded by the Imperium, they slowly dwindled, having to fend for themselves.

Of the Keetlings, you know a bit as well- as all Malfians nobles are, as the Inquisitor mentioned, connected, for they have mostly remained inconspicuous and are rarely involved in any scandals. One of them families actually native to Prudenza, they owe their (relatively small) fortune to a highly successful Import/Export company. With the passing of the Head of the House and his Wife (A tragic Hovercar Incident), the business passed to the hands of their son and daughter.

Their innocent reputation lends weight to Anaster’s statement; so does the fact that Andreyus had a passion for collecting paintings and artworks - A strange hobby on a planet where nobles are more then often notorious for their obsession with the occult and arts much darker then those you find on canvases...

[OOC: There, took the common lore (underworld) and focused it on the Keetling family instead, hopefully this piece of information is satisfying!]
Grendel:

Making your way trough the corridors of Soldevan's general headquarters, you climb up the floors of the spire and soon stumble upon the doors leading to the Landing Bay- if the large sign above hanging above them was any indication.

You open them, and walk into the moon-lit night... Only to be greeted by a flash of bright light. Seconds later, after your eyes adjust- you spot its source: hovering over your head, an arvus lighter scans the roof of building with its search-lights, preparing to land on the pad nearby.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/ArvLit4.jpg

Seconds later, it descends- and for the first time you notice several figures moving around the roof besides you- mostly servitors- going about their appointed tasks.

It takes several minutes to locate people capable of assisting you. Upon hearing your strange request, a quizzical look passes over their faces- but They don't question it, and proceed to bring the cage in question to your room- a large, closed off metal box (with holes, of course). After informing you that it shall be taken to the Arvus Lighter before you board, they go back to their business- and leave you to your own.

brolthemighty
2011-04-09, 03:36 AM
Sejast snaps his fingers as he has seemingly tracked down his stray thoughts. "That's got it! Alright my fellow Acolytes, as I said, I have something, and it's more then a little, but less then a lot. In the scale of Malfian Nobles, the Keetlings are pretty small beans. They also have a very seemingly clean image. They have made a small fortune in imports and exports, but that's mostly it....as far as anyone knows. This is Malfi though, so take that with a pound of salt. The boy was something of a collector of art. As I said, seemingly small beans."

"As far as who else might be there, it seems to have become a bit of a pleasure resort for the Noble Houses. A sort of home away from home deal. Which means that I'll have to make a number of house calls to some old....friends....most likely. However, I may have an idea for getting a foot in the door to some of the dealings and happenings of the Hive. I need to go gather my equipment however."

Sejast abruptly turns and looks at each of his associates, noting Grendel's absence.

"Well then, I will see everyone on the flight. I'm very anxious to speak with the sister and see what paths are laid before us."

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-11, 04:07 PM
Anaster voxes one of the mind-cleansed serfs he brought to assist him in the Inquisitor's house. Finding good help on Malfi was hard, he knew...even harder when one's employer tends not to understand that servants are in one's employ and not available for general experimentation...though Anaster would hardly dare to call out Soldevan on that particular breach of etiquette.

"Four, I trust my ship-bag is properly packed? Bring it to Launch Platform Six posthaste, there's a dear," he croons distractedly into his vox. he notes as Grendel and Sejast have disappeared. "So, Zolonov old boy, working together again are we? Well...at least you bathe and aren't constantly surrounded by vermin. And fortunately, you're not family, so you can be sure than when I'm being pleasant to you, it's because I want to, not just to put on a show so the family dinner at the Feast of the Emperor's Ascension isn't unduly awkward."

Saldre
2011-04-11, 04:58 PM
Preparations complete; you make your way to the landing bay at the top of the spire. Soon, you find yourselves standing outside, bathing in the light of one of Malfi’s three moons, a powerful gust of wind blowing across the rooftops.

Directly ahead of you; you spot your “transport”- an old and battered Arvus Lighter: dependable, yet discreet. With it, you’ll be able to slip into Prudenza unnoticed: one of the thousands of ships that land in the Port-town daily- this, despite the broken rails.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/large/ArvLit4.jpg

All around the Arvus, hooded figures (tech-priests no doubt) raise their arms in supplication, performing rituals of cleansing and maintenance on the vessel; while servitors roll across the floor beeping loudly and flashing signal lights- readying the ship for its journey.

As you approach them, a loud hissing sound rises nearby as the rear boarding ramp slowly comes down, revealing the inner hatch of the ship- your cramped quarters for the next several hours.

Hurrying inside, you’re surprised to find Grendel already there- sitting beside a large crate that takes up the most of one of the corners. A strange shuffling sound rises from within, you that you would have liked to attribute to the strange Psyker, if you didn’t know him- and his strange pets- better.

No sooner do you enter and settle down that the ramp closes behind you, clamping shut; leaving you momentarily immersed in darkness until a pair of yellow lights flicker on, faintly illuminating your surroundings- and a woman’s voices rises from surrounding com-links.

“Welcome Aboard this flight to Prudenza; my name is Merica and I’ll be your pilot this evening; expected travel time will be around 8 hours, so we’ll arrive at our destination early tomorrow morning.” She explains, and you feel the ship begin to vibrate as it prepares to lift-off followed by the faint whirring of the exterior propellers.

“Please note the following Address- Keetling Domain, 200th Floor- 4th Quadrant of Spire Temperenza; Lady Sarah will be expecting you during the day.

As for your pickup; I will be back in two weeks time at the same landing dock where we’ll be dropping you off.” The ship begins to rumble loudly, interrupting Merica.

“Please strap yourselves in; we’ll be taking off in a few seconds-” You hear her mumbling a prayer to the emperor before she cuts off the link- and the sound of frazzling static is drowned out by the roaring engines of the Arvus as it takes it lifts into the air- and speeds towards its destination.

~

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/hive_world_by_karichristensen.jpg?t=1302557992

~

You arrive several hours later; a smooth journey with no complications (If only things would stay that way). The engines begin to slowly die down as the Arvus lands with a heavy clank, causing you to shake in your seats.

Soon, the hissing hydraulics heralds the opening of the hatch; and a bright light seeps into the hatch from the world beyond. Loud crackling echoes in the distance- Fireworks perhaps? Malfi was, after all, the planet of Festivities and Carnivals- It is only when you peer outside that you notice how wrong you were: the common-folk of Prudenza had long ago lost their drive to celebrate – now living in a state of near constant misery.

The air here is rank and oppressive; all around you countless people huddle in masses, walking silently over here and over there; towards some destination unknown. Scores of ships rumble in the sky above your heads, while hundreds of workers trample the floor carrying various boxes and crates, both big and small, from warehouse to warehouse; no doubt oblivious to their contents (for those were questions better left unasked around these parts).

In the distance, you spot the source of the crackling- a large chest is sprawled on the ground, its contents shattered beyond recognition, scattered all over the floor. Two men are arguing nearby; fists flaring- ready to come to blows over their spilled cargo. Though no one interferes- tensions run high here, and people would rather not meddle.

Behind them, a disheveled man covered in rags- reminiscent of Grendel’s appearance- holds up a sign above the crowd: “Rejoice- For He Cometh!” It reads- but the message falls on deaf ears who can only hear the growling of their own stomachs and the dying wails of a slowly agonizing town.

“Remember- Landing Depot 445- Two weeks from now.” Merica’s voice crackles on the Vox as you step out into Prudenza proper.

“Good luck.”

Exiting the Arvus, you help (or not) Grendel drag the large box outside before the doors close behind him; leaving you to your fates.

So; you guys have the address- you can pretty much head there whenever you like- or take the times to establish yourselves: Find a Hotel room, or some such- you can even split up- and more details on investigative skills in the OOC thread.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-11, 05:10 PM
Anaster looks around with practiced detachment, layering a mask of the nobleman's contempt over the layer of utter disdain he has for this place and its "notable families."

"Ah, cousin, ever been to this little scummy pond before?" he asks Sejast.

A mental flick assures him that his implanted weapons are primed for deployment if necessary. Anaster is fairly confident that his notable appearance, body language, and Belasco features will keep these lowborn dregs from accosting them, but having weapons prepared is never a bad plan on Malfi.

"Shall we get this underway?"

Chameon
2011-04-11, 05:11 PM
Grendel frowns, dragging the cage behind him outside, he mutters to the contents of the cage "Shh, shh, my pet....soon you get to see the world you were born on again....How beautiful the decay is....But give this one some time.....this is not yet the hunt..."

With that, he looks at the man with the sign and nods his head, clearly approving. Then he looks at Anaster and nods, he twitches slightly and glares at several people around him. Grendel states quietly, glaring from side to side "The hunt begins where the prey has been."

(Translation: Let's go to the address)

brolthemighty
2011-04-11, 08:40 PM
Sejast turns to take in the sight of the Acolyte Cell and their equipment. "Yes, well. As much as I'd like to go head-on and start in on the Sister, we need to see about accomadations to stay, and securing transport for while we're here. I know that I don't plan on carrying everything on my back." Delicately sniffing the air, and taking in the appearance of some of his fellow members, "Of course, it might be best if we actually secure multiple residences while we're here."

He turns and regards his Cousin. "No Cousin, I have not had the....pleasure. From all reports however, this does look like a place that might be somewhat lucritive for someone with the right skills and connections. We WILL, afterall, have to insinuate ourselves into the various levels of the society here if we are to track down this wayward Keetling. A visit to the local Amdministratum could be quite beneficial."
Looking around, Sejast notices a group of port workers, and tries to discern who the supervisor must be. Striding up to him confidently he bellows "You there! I'm looking for somewhere decent to stay. Somewhere we can reside, as well as do some business in. Do you know of anywhere that's suitable around here?" He holds up 5 Thrones, "And there'll be another 5 to you once I'm convinced it's suitable."
Inquiry+10 Roll:
Roll made in OOC thread. Result: 01 vs. TN 50 (Fellowship plus Inquiry +10)

Sejast again turns and looks at his protege Grendel. "And how about somewhere Underhive where there's a good chance of NOT getting our throats cut while we sleep."
Inquiry +10 Roll:
Again, roll made in OOC thead. Result: 40 vs. TN 50 (Fellowship plus Inquiry +10)

Talkkno
2011-04-11, 09:27 PM
"I think I'm going to contact the local arbities to see if they can provide any information, might raise some eyes though. Think its a good idea?" Lenk poses to the rest of the group.

Saldre
2011-04-11, 10:52 PM
Sejast:

"If your looking for a place to stay, you'll find no better then the Broadalbin Just down sector 49- You can't miss it: Biggest One there and the best place in the third quadrant at least ten floors up or down." He answers, snatching the the five thrones. "Its a real palace, that it is." The man is not only enthusiastic, but grateful for the tip.

"Hey! Get back to work!" He bellows at the rest of the workers, turning his attention back to them- as for the Information on a lair in the Underhive, its more or less doubtful that Grendel would not right off the bat; at least not without doing some investigation on his own...

Chameon
2011-04-11, 11:12 PM
Grendel sniffs slightly then turns to Sejast, muttering "Nonononono, not until I'm there. Get me to Underhive, I find nice little corner, forgotten hole, empty alley, maybe find nice crunchy munchy maw-fluke for breakfast."

brolthemighty
2011-04-12, 03:28 PM
Sejast takes in Grendel's reaction, "Be calm child. I was simply suggesting it for appearances sake. Somewhere downhive where we can meet and take people for questioning."

He claps his hands together with great relish. "Now, let's see about some transportation, and we'll be on our way eh? It would also be safe to assume that, since this is Malfi, we are being watched, and listened to. I know that we've all done this before, but you know me. Always have to state the obvious. Now, I would like to get our accommodations set up so we can head out to where we need to be. Unless you just want to stand around here at the Port?"
Inquiry+10 Roll:
I'm looking and asking around for suitable transportation to get us to the hotel that was recommended to us.
66 vs. TN 50

Saldre
2011-04-12, 04:01 PM
The Group:

Your business here completed, you make your way outside of the stacked warehouses that make up this floor's docks.

Soon, you find yourself standing at the edge of a street, still on a crowded side-walk. You raise your hand, attempting to hail a vehicle- some manner of transportation. Though many pass; none seem too keen on stopping: something about Grendel's appearance- and the large box he's dragging behind him; or your perhaps its your group's general demeanor.

Luckily, looking back towards the port behind you- you spot something flashing in the distance. Etched onto a wall; a bright red sign glows brightly, flickering from time to time. "Qualitatus Automobilis" It reads, a promise that- if you take into account the broken letters that litter the sign- may not entirely be accurate...

brolthemighty
2011-04-12, 04:52 PM
Sejast turns to regard Lenk, musing over his question. Yes, let's go speak with the Arbites and let them know we're here, he thinks. Of all the brash..."Let's speak with the Sister before we go to the bureau. There may be reason that they've essentially refused to deal with it. I'd rather not alert them that we're here, and if we just walk in asking about a case, they're going to start looking into us. However, if I were to craft you an identity as say, a Belasco House Noble's security chief, and infer that I'm very concerned about the missing Keetling, it would be more plausible as to why your'e there."

Talkkno
2011-04-12, 05:28 PM
"Good idea, but could you see if you could forge me some papers then?"

brolthemighty
2011-04-12, 05:53 PM
"But of course. Once we're invested into some proper rooms, I shall endeveour to create you a cover that will withstand the most stringent scrutiny." Sejast looks around to ensure there are no ears listening in, "I would however suggest that instead of speaking with the Arbites directly, we go through the local enforcers. I would assume that they would be more open to....inquiry and negotiations, as it were. This IS Malfi afterall, and the Arbites are just a bit stodgy for my taste. We will approach the Arbites if the situation calls for it, of course."

Looking at the worse-for-wear sign, he shrugs, "Well, it looks like this may be our only chance at transportation at the moment." Looking, as he often does, at Grendel, he grimaces, "Maybe they'll have a cargo hauler that you can ride in the back of."

"Anyone have anything else they want or need to do?"

Alastorz
2011-04-12, 11:33 PM
When he hears Sejast's last question, Zolonov shrugs.
''I think it pretty much sums it. Let's get a mean of transportation before this starved crowd decides we look tasty.''

On his way to the Qualitatus Automobilis, Zolonov looks all around, trying to notice something suspicious or someone spying on their group. He uses his internal device to help him.

Awareness+20:
Objective 50: [roll0] , reroll if failed: [roll1]

Saldre
2011-04-12, 11:37 PM
Zolonov:

Walking over to the old garage; you can't help but notice the disheveled man with the sign staring at you... Before he, and his sign, are consumed by the crowd and fade away in the moving mass of people.

Perhaps WE should have a little taste- can't you feel it? The violence in the air? All it needs it a little push...

You can feel your companion's desire for blood; and his eagerness to reach out and shove a person on the sidewalk besides you...

The Group:

Upon reaching the shop beneath the sign, you push open the door- triggering a short pinging sound.

As you suspected, "Qualitatus Automobilis" was not nearly as fancy as its name would have suggested.

In here, Ancient automobiles stand silently, displayed on a flat circular podiums. Though signs of old age were apparent on their rusty metallic frames, the vehicles appeared, at first glance, to be functional.

You can't help but wonder whether or not the owner of the shop had better models locked away behind the large barred metal doors that marked the end of the display hallway...

A few minutes, after you have gotten a chance to examine a few of the automobiles, a short and scrawny man dressed in a old brown suit walks up to the group- glaring at Grendel.

"You there- I said out: This is no place to Loiter!" He yells at him, waving his fist- before turning to the gentlemen besides the psyker.

"Apologies, Good Sirs, I will have him out in a moment- and I will be right with you." He says, bowing his head profusely with a rather apologetic tone.

Talkkno
2011-04-13, 01:12 AM
"That's what I was referring to, bloody million names for theses sort of folks." Lenk replies to Sejast, as he turns to the used car salesman.

"We are looking transportation, with 5 person capacity I'm sure you have more then what you have display for sale yes?" Lenk asks politely, as takes a quick gander at the rusted wrecks around him with raised eyes, while jingling some change in his pocket.

Charm [roll0]
Peer(Underworld) ?

Saldre
2011-04-13, 01:26 AM
The Group:

The man looks over Lenk studying him- then glances over Grendel once more- before looking over the rest of the group.

"Five you say?" He mumbles. "These models here; Ol' Reliable-" He says, tapping one of the nearby gray trucks. It clanks loudly, but otherwise holds together.

"The Esatto 5000, our best seller. Fits two in the front, two in the back- and a lot more room in the trunk for those Extra passengers..." He continues, glaring at the disheveled man and his box.

"I am sure its more suited for your price range; whether your looking to rent OR buy... speaking of which, which one is it?" He asks, his eyes scanning the group.

Talkkno
2011-04-13, 02:14 AM
"Seems like what we are looking for, how much for each respectively? And would you have one in red paint job by any chance?" He asks, gleaning at the vehicle, as he tries to recall if he's seen this model employed before as a technical in some war zone or another.

Common Lore(war) [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-13, 10:34 AM
Lenk:

Outfitted and enhanced, the truck could serve on a war-zone, but in its current state, its just good enough for driving around the hive: you doubt it'll be able to take too much of a beating.
The Group:

"Well- its 15,000 Thrones if your planning on keeping it and 25 a day if your just renting it." He answers- "We don't sell insurance- as for the red (it'll be more expensive) but I'll go check while you make your decision."

He has a small chance of having the model in the back- [roll0] Find out next time what this means!

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-13, 10:53 AM
"What's the upper limit on renting time, if there is one?" Anaster looks nearly aghast at the thought of riding in that...conveyance, but he masks it well. "And will it be able to get us all over the Hive? It will fit in all the lifts and function at all the altitudes?"

Saldre
2011-04-13, 11:01 AM
The Group:

"You can rent it as long as you'd like- there's a security deposit though: 500 thrones." He answers, turning to Anaster. "It'll go everywhere you fine folk are willing to take it- the going gets harder in the Underhive; but that's true for all vehicles." He answers, and once more stares at Grendel- who simply doesn't inspire him any confidence. "Either way, Doubt gentlemen such as yourselves'll be visiting the bottom anytime soon: You must be aiming for the top!"

Alastorz
2011-04-13, 02:35 PM
Zolonov frowns and takes a few steps closer to the seller. He doesn't try to hide his chain-sword at all. When he is very close, he points at him. His voice is steady, yet full of anger.

'' Now, now... Are you trying to steal from us, small boy? I am not too keen on being robbed and neither is my chain-sword.''

He swiftly presses on the button of his weapon and an unpleasant characteristic sound raises into the air. He starts yelling to cover the sound.

''I suggest you go get a better car and offers us your best ****ing prize for a rent before an accident happens. You're delaying us.''

Intimidate TN:40 [roll0]

brolthemighty
2011-04-13, 03:33 PM
Sejast looks at Zolonov, aghast at his behavior. At first he tries to speak to him normally, but weapon is making too much noise. Clearing his throat a couple of times, he yells over the chainsword, "Now now. There's no need for things to start getting ugly! I'm sure he was simply trying to play a joke on us, and we've obviously fallen for it. Well Done! Well done I say." He looks at the used car salesman,"It was a joke right? Yes, I do believe it was. Now that it's over, how about we really get down to business, shall we? "
Deceive to Charm:Rolled in OOC 89 vs. TN 50 before modifiers.

Chameon
2011-04-13, 04:44 PM
Grendel giggles slightly and starts thinking about the situation "Will this iron monster even live for a mile, I wonder....Rook seems to think no, but Rook does so love to watch fights...Hmmm."

With that said, he continues to observe the situation, looking around the dealership and checking for any guards that may make the situation much more entertaining. See OOC thread for Awareness roll

Talkkno
2011-04-14, 01:44 AM
Lenk nods his head disappointingly, as he sighs and takes he a deep breath, as he takes a steps forward, sweeping his hand to abbey the raised weapon with his right arm.

"Excuse my comrades for being a bit...overzealous, times are tough and were all recent arrivals to Prudenza you see. Now, I think the price is most reasonable, we won't be needing it for more then a few weeks at most." The former Guardsman replies, desperately trying to salvage the situation, as he coughs, rolling his eyes at Zolonov for a moment.

Charm [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-14, 02:15 AM
The Group:

When the chain-sword starts spinning, the salesman recoils back, rattled by the blade's deafening roar.

Zolonov:

Despite the thunderous rattling of the chain-sword; you can hear a voice booming in your ear.

Good- He will be more willing to barter when you add his severed limbs to your offer...

For a moment, you could feel the man's surprise- almost tasting his fear before he composed himself- and it was reinvigorating.

Humans are, after all, very attached to their extremities...
He eyes immediately turn to a corner of the shop, as if looking for something- before he faces the group once more.

Grendel:

Following the man's gaze, you spot a large shadow behind one of the trucks on display on the other side of the shop- whether or not its a car or something else, you can't really tell
"Oh Sirs- Yes, a mistake was all it was, an honest mistake: I misquoted the price for the Esatto and Instead gave you the price for the Lussuosità! What a blunder! We have one in the back you see; a red one- but they are more expensive!" He pleads with the group after Sejast intercedes "The Essatto 5000 is very affordable for the common folk- only 4000 thrones and it could be yours today!"

But it is only when Lenk speaks up that he seems to regain composure.

"25 thrones a day, good sirs- a fair price- but for you: we'll make it 22,5 (Payable in advance)" he makes them another offer, while holding out his hands- as if to shield him from Zolonov's angry stare.

Talkkno
2011-04-14, 02:21 AM
"That sounds fair, sorry for the trouble." Lenk replies, as he coughs for a moment.

Someone cough up the cash.

brolthemighty
2011-04-15, 03:54 AM
"Wait, let me get this right. First, you tell us that to rent this....jalopy...it's 25 Thrones per day. PLUS an extra security deposit of 500 Thrones. Then when my associate gets kinda irritated, you tell us that you had mistakenly quoted us the price for the nice red Lussuosità in the back. And then, as a way to make it up to us for this mistake, you give us a price of 22.5 Thrones, payable up front?" Sejast turns around to his fellow cell members, shaking his head.

"I believe we got off on the foot, as it were. I am Lord Sejast Novus of the House Belasco. I have been away from HOME for a very long time. Now, this being home and all, I am not opposed to the occasional swindle. However, not by some amateur used car salesman who can't even keep his stories straight when things begin to get dangerous. I had hoped to drop in on some family while in the area, and needed conveyance for myself, and my associates. Hence why we came to you. Now, let us try this again. There are five people in my part that need conveyance, what can you offer us, and at what price? And this time, you had better give me the right answer."
Intimidate through intellegance:
[roll0] vs. TN 40 plus whatever modifiers there are (Lord I hope I make this)

Saldre
2011-04-15, 02:30 PM
The Group:

The man pales visibly at the mention of house Belasco.

Sejast:

You can almost track his thought process as his skin whitens and his eye pass over each member of your entourage: the overbearing bodyguard with an expensive chain-sword; the local guide for whom throne cost is of no concern; the smug, well-dressed man that seemed downright disgusted by the unsightly truck- and Grendel; who stuck out like a sore thumb (A newly bought slave? a project? a toy?)

Lowering his head nearly floor in a bow of extreme admiration (or fear), the man begins to mumble profusely.

"My Lord; my sincerest apologies- we are but simple folk, and it is rare but joyful occasion when Malfi's finest grace us with their presence. I am shamed to have implied that the Esatto would suit your needs!" He says, slowly backing up towards the door at the end of the hallway. He stops besides a security console on their side and begins tapping on the keys- seconds later, a loud screeching rises from the gears as they slowly slide open. "Clearly with men of such character; only one Vehicle will do: the Lussuosità" He says and steps into the newly opened room. Soon afterward, bright light floods the room as several projectors turn on- revealing the automobile in question.

Its bright red paint is anything but inconspicuous- it could, for all intents and purposes, be a tank. The enormous vehicle, sporting six wheels, was clearly built for speed and power- although heavily modified to accommodate Nobility, some vestige of its past functions remain imprinted on its well-maintained frame.

Anybody can try a very easy common lore (Imperium) Or (Underworld) to get more information on the actual car.

"Our finest- though an older version... We... we haven't gotten the newer ones here in years- but surely you recognize the fine craftsmanship, the quality work- and all in all, the luxury provided by this model." He says, running a hand across the car. "It fits six people, and of course- there's a hatch in the back for anything else you might need."

"I am afraid that the price remains the same though-" He begins, before abruptly stopping- "Not that the price would surely deter a prominent house such as yours; if you merely desire to rent it; its 45 thrones a day- but I'll wave the deposit- after all, Your honorable word is more than enough of a bond for me." He continues while moving to a nearby desk and grabbing a data-pad, which proceeds to hand over to Sejast. Looking down, you read trough the contract relatively quickly- all in all, completely standard.

"Just fill in the expected time you'll be keeping it, and your signature and seal here." He says, pointing out the appropriate places. "Will it be cash, or credit-chip?"

Chameon
2011-04-15, 02:46 PM
Grendel sniffs and looks at the vehicle, wondering if he has, perhaps, seen it before. He stares at it hard, scratching the back of his head slowly.

[roll0] -20 survival roll, so 15 or less is a success

brolthemighty
2011-04-15, 05:26 PM
Sejast nods appreciatively at the vehicle, making his way slowly around the vehicle. As he moves, one of his hands slides smoothly across the body, almost as if a caress.
Lore Check:
[roll0] TN. 73 with reroll if failed [roll1]

"Yes, this will do nicely. You see? That wasn't so hard was it? Very well, we will take this one. We will require it for around 20 days. I will send a courier with the additional Thrones if our visit here takes longer. At the moment though, I will be paying in cash."

Sejast hands over the Thrones with a forced air of indifference all the while thoughts are racing through his head, I'm definitely going to have to set up shop while here or we're not going to have enough Thrones to operate. He considers for a few moments, while the Thrones are being exchanged, and the paperwork signed. He simply MUST get to the Administratum and track down his wayward family. They'll know the best way to get the word out. Not to mention have a better lay of the underside of this Hive.

Talkkno
2011-04-15, 07:09 PM
Lenk caresses his temples at all the commotion, as he murmurs to Sejast.

"Next time, just let me do the talking."

brolthemighty
2011-04-15, 07:24 PM
Waiting until they are out of earshot of the used car salesman and his establishment, "Oh? Did you have something to add?" Sejast whirls on Lenks irritably, "If you had wanted to do the talking, and the dealing, then you should have. However, since it's my Thrones that we are spending it will be MY choice on what they are spent on, and the manner at which they are spent. Do you understand me? Either of those vehicles were going to cost us more than you could make in the span of a Terran year, therefore it was MY choice to for us to purchase the nicer one. One suited to my station, and that of my cousin. As befits who and where we are."
Sejast turns around, suggesting expansively. "Do not forget that we are on my homeworld, and going to be operating in the circles of my people. If we were down in the UnderHives, I would have relied on your expertise, however, since you, and the rest of our merry little band decided to stay fairly tight-lipped, and barely responsive, I decided to take the reigns...unless you have almost a thousand Thrones just lying around? No? I didn't think so." Sejast says with a sneer.

"Now that THAT unpleasant business is over with, lets move on to the tasks at hand shall we."

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-15, 07:40 PM
"Oh, cousin, did you quite have to namedrop? How many stubbers and scummers do you think will be trailing in our wake now, begging for the merest dusted-off crumbs or the meanest look?"

He rolls his eyes. There were Belascoes, and there were Belascoes, after all.

brolthemighty
2011-04-15, 07:46 PM
Sejast regards his Cousin, "Have to? No. Then again, it got us what was needed, as well as kicked the ant-hill a bit, and begun to establish our cover as simply a couple of spoiled Nobles with their entourage. If you had an objection, you should have spoken up. Your concern is dollar short, and a day late, as they say."

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-15, 07:48 PM
"Dollar? What a droll word. What is that, some worthless money from some unknown Hive? I suppose it doesn't matter. And yes, at least your...choices might make things more interesting. Feel free to threaten more shopkeepers. You won't hear me complain if I wind up wrist-deep in jugular blood."

Alastorz
2011-04-15, 08:11 PM
Zolonov doesn't look ashamed at all by his earlier reaction. It seems quite normal to him to behave this way.

''This guy was about to scam us. He will think twice now before doing it again. I am not very patient with pieces of trash like this seller because we have a work to do and we need the best tools we can get. I'm not gonna die because some useless prick sold us a crappy car. I suggest we get going, now.''

Talkkno
2011-04-15, 08:47 PM
"Very well." Lenk says as he simply shrugs, as he gets behind the wheel, driving his way to hotel.

Chameon
2011-04-16, 02:31 AM
Grendel giggles quietly in the back seat, remembering with a large grin on his face the face the chastised seller made as they drive off. "Gehehee...." He chuckles, as he rubs the box he keeps the Maw Fluke in, he opens it slightly ordering, gently "Stay," and then promptly proceeding to scratch it under its jaws.

After a few moments, he stares out the windows, then begins talking to Rook "See them all, Rook? All of these people, these walking corpses? Running about their blind lives, doing little more then what they are told to? One day soon, you'll get to eat one of them, if we're lucky!"

With this said, he immediately breaks off, and states "Can this one go to the Underhive? Keetlings probably just think Grendel muck on dish, fly in ointment, maw fluke in wine cellar, bad luck, and would be bad for group if they did. This one can take lift to Underhive and find nice home for Maw fluke and self, maybe find interesting rumors buzz buzz buzzing around...Underhive always has buzzards."

After saying this, he promptly slams the cage door shut, the Mawfluke is utterly uneffected by the close, and simply sits still, and regardless of the response, or lack thereof, he proceeds to say "Good boy."

Saldre
2011-04-16, 03:31 AM
Sejast:

The "car" in question is fairly infamous on Malfi- and you recognize it almost instantly. "Enforcer Patrol Cruisers"- these vehicles maintain order on the Arteria. Often outfitted with heavy stubbers, they are often used in Riot-suppression because of their heavy armor, loud hailers and weapon pods.

On Malfi (the hive world with perhaps the largest and most extensive, complex and dangerous Arteria system in all of Calixis), The Scarab (and dozens of other models) are used primarily by enforcers and noble houses (who refurbish the machines into luxury vehicles); the most infamous of which- the "Jack-Ripper", features a shovel-prow studded with Chain blades.
The Group:

Opening the back hatch, Grendel hefts the crate into the Lussuosità while the rest of the group proceeds to board the vehicle from the sides.

Inside, your surprised to find it much larger then it had appeared. Two benches, each able to seat three, oppose each other on the right and left of the back hatch beneath two long laminated glass windows.

Not only are the seats comfortable; the vehicle's suspension absorbing any bumps along its path, but it is also equipped with a screen (and its interface control panel)- and a small fridge and bar. Furthermore, a concealed compartment beneath the side-seating allows one to stow away both weapons and other unmentionables.

The driver, seated at the front of the Lussuosità, has his own cogitator system and interface receptors- should he be able to use them, or in case a servitor was ever required to take up the job instead.

All in all, the Lussuosità is a pinnacle of safe, yet luxurious travel.

After the group had settled down- and Grendel had made his request- the car begins to rumble. Sitting on the driver's char, Lenk turns the ignition and taps a few keys on the cogitator, starting up the system. A deafening roar, muffled to its occupants by the heavy armor, shakes up the entire car-shop as the car drives out from the warehouse's back doors and barges into the streets of Prudenza.

With his next destination in mind; Lenk eases the vehicle across the twists and turns of the hive's winding path. The massive behemoth dominates the road, dwarfing all others- what others cars you see keep their distance, while citizens stick to the sidewalks, some staring at the car, others doing their best to get out of its way.

About halfway to your destination; you notice a sign hanging above an off-road exit: "Quadrant 3; Sector 36- Maintenance Access shaft & Lift."- The perfect place to drop off Grendel (and his box), if you don't mind leaving him on his own that is.

[OOC: Simply decide whether or not you guys drop off Grendel before moving on to the hotel proper- and plan adequately for his separation.]
The Rest Of the Group (Assuming you dropped off Grendel)

You continue on your way to the Broadalbin- located in sector 49 of the 3rd Quadrant. It doesn't take you long before you find it, nestled comfortably amidst other Habs and Hotels.

The place was, for all intents and purposes- a palace. Though now old, left to rot after Prudenza's decline. Parking the Lussuosità outside; you leave the car and head into the hotel- a chill in the air rushing you forward.

You walk into a big lobby, about two stories tall. Directly ahead of you, about 50 meters off, the far wall held an iron-cage lift that went up into the ceiling. All around you, everything was peeling gilding and dingy velvet. To your right and left, two gargoyles stare at you from the top of marvel columns about half a man's size; a flame burning in each of their mouths.

The front of the lobby, where the group was standing, sported two large fireplaces, crackling even now. All around, big, thick chairs are scattered about beneath hanging portraits and painted scenery. Besides them, shelves of old books exuded a pleasant mustiness that evoked more enjoyable memories. You can make out, here and there, people reading and smoking.

Finally, you spot, behind the reading area and to the left of the elevators, the front desk- and someone standing behind it.

Talkkno
2011-04-16, 04:39 AM
"I'm sure you can handle yourself Grendel, but what do you exactly intend to down there?" Lenk asks as he continues to drive.

Chameon
2011-04-16, 08:48 AM
Grendel smiles, giggles then says "This one intends to listen, that one intends to hunt, food is so easily found in so many places. We need an extra home, it was stated. Grendel intends to look for home. Pets can hunt for words. The big guys in the bigger collars don't tend to vanish without every wittle gangew muttering about it. Less bribery. Also, Grendel has ideas on how to find pulse of underworld." With that, Grendel scratches the bottom of Rooks beak, which pecks at his finger in annoyance, although he doesn't notice that.

brolthemighty
2011-04-16, 04:45 PM
Sejast considers his request, almost as a parent would, "I only see marginal harm in it, not to mention it being a good idea. Find us somewhere safe, semi-secure, and at least somewhat defensible in case we need a fall back location. Good idea of finding the heartbeat of the Underworld as well. I was just considering that exact problem. Very good."

He considers the problem of getting back ahold of him once he's faded into the backdrop of the UnderHive. He didn't want to just DROP him off. That would be like releasing the Life Eater virus on the planet. "Very well. We will return to this lift in a day. That will give us time to at least initially speak with the Keetling woman. If however, we are not there, or you have yet to achieve your....objectives, we need a way to keep in touch." Sejast rummages around the interior of the vehicle, checking all of the little compartments and such. Finding what he was looking for, he pulls out a few Microbeads that look as good as the one that he owns. "Wow, he wasn't joking when he said that this was equipped. Let me see here....."
Tech-Use:
Roll made in OOC. Result 10 vs. 93 (8 Degrees of success!)
I want to ensure it's tuned to the same frequency as mine, and ensure it's encrypted.
"There we go, that should take care of it." Handing one to each member of the team that doesn't have one, he reminds them, "Now, although it should be encrypted, only use Code while speaking in these, got it?"

Chameon
2011-04-17, 03:35 AM
Grendel giggles and takes the microbead with a smile. After but a moment, he states, to the box "Stay and stay quiet. Don't make any noise and don't try to break out for Grendel."

With that small statement, he looks at them and states "Toss in a hunk of raw meat once, that's all he needs." And then, he leaves, wearing his backpack and walking straight to the lift, he rides it down and returns to the area he understands best.

[roll0] I've got one day. I'll need to discuss how exactly these rolls work. I fully anticipate being mugged, despite the fact I look poorer then a beggar, simply because I came from at the very least the mid hive. I intend on spending eight hours just searching for a safe spot, if that provides no modifiers, then 35 or less.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-17, 10:33 AM
"Great, just what I'd asked for every Feast of the Emperor's Ascension as a child and never actually got: a hungry fluke maw. Dreams really do come true," he deadpans.

"Now what hotel are we supposed to be getting to? Someone did already vox ahead, right?"

Saldre
2011-04-17, 12:41 PM
The Group (moved for your Convenience: The Broadalbin)

You continue on your way to the Broadalbin- located in sector 49 of the 3rd Quadrant. It doesn't take you long before you find it, nestled comfortably amidst other Habs and Hotels.

The place was, for all intents and purposes- a palace. Though now old, left to rot after Prudenza's decline. Parking the Lussuosità outside; you leave the car and head into the hotel- a chill in the air rushing you forward.

You walk into a big lobby, about two stories tall. Directly ahead of you, about 50 meters off, the far wall held an iron-cage lift that went up into the ceiling. All around you, everything was peeling gilding and dingy velvet. To your right and left, two gargoyles stare at you from the top of marvel columns about half a man's size; a flame burning in each of their mouths.

The front of the lobby, where the group was standing, sported two large fireplaces, crackling even now. All around, big, thick chairs are scattered about beneath hanging portraits and painted scenery. Besides them, shelves of old books exuded a pleasant mustiness that evoked more enjoyable memories. You can make out, here and there, people reading and smoking.

Finally, you spot, behind the reading area and to the left of the elevators, the front desk- and someone standing behind it.
Grendel's trip to the land down-under:

You step down from the car and cross the nearby road towards the service shaft. Soon, you spot another sign and following its instructions you turn into a dark alley, giving the Lussuosità one final glance before it fades from your line of sight...

24 Hours before you saw that thing again- but at least it would be time spent in your element. At the end of the alley, you can see the lift- as luck would have it, its metal doors are wide open. within, a dull red light shines in invitation above a small platform surrounded by tangled mess of old pipes and tubes.

You walk inside and spot, besides the door, a small numeral pad beneath a flashing screen. On the latter, a message is addressed to you:

Service Lift 150F3Q36SEC.

Status- Active

Please enter destination-
...3Q36SEC

You type in the first numbers that come to mind- 032. Immediately, the door slams shut, the light goes off- and your plunged into darkness just as the lift itself plummets into the Underhive....

Luckily, your used to both the cramped conditions and the rapid descent; so neither event is particularly unpleasant to you- although you can tell that Rook is unhappy and uncomfortable, chirping incessantly throughout the entire trip.

Until, that is, the platform slams into something- stopping abruptly and without warning, throwing you off your feet as a loud inhuman scream rises from beyond the metal doorway.

Seconds later, the doors loudly slide open- the sound of metal grating metal bouncing off the ducts and conduits that line the dark passageway beyond.

Chameon
2011-04-17, 12:56 PM
Grendel giggles and titters, scratching Rook's on the back ever so gentle, and begins humming a tune with an utter, horrifying lack of any skill whatsoever at maintaining any of the notes as he rides the elevator down. His skin shifts slightly under his robes as the boreworms move in anticipation of his plans. Immediately on reaching his floor, Grendel leaves the elevator, and begins hunting and searching for a new base for himself and the rest of the crew, walking through dark alleyways with almost reckless abandon given the fact that he clearly came from at least slightly above the underhive. As he moves, he mutters once, but only once "Greeeeendeeeel's baaaaaack...."

Saldre
2011-04-17, 02:07 PM
Grendel's Trip to the Underhive:

You walk out of the elevator, the abominable screech now replaced by other, more sinister sounds of the Under-hive.

Churning gears, hissing hydraulics and quantities of liquids surging trough the pipelines that surround you give unnatural life to the twisting labyrinthine passages on your path.

Drowned out by these mechanical sounds, you can hear the faint, yet familiar, chattering of paws, claws and mandibles- the familiar sounds of vermin scurrying about just out of sight.

Soon, you exit the cramped passageways and step out into the streets of Prudenza's 32th floor. Here, Dilapidated habitats and derelict buildings hinted at a once thriving population that has long since moved on to higher and higher floors- leaving behind the ruined remnants of their lives.

Who dwells here still- you wonder, a mere seven levels above the hive's maintenance floors? The lost; the desperate- those who abhorred the light.

Kindred Souls, Perhaps?

You walk down the street, flaunting your presence. Footsteps (Your own?) echo all around, enhanced by the eerie silence. From above, you feel them staring at you; looking out windows- just out of sight, only to vanish when you turn in their direction.

It doesn't take you long before you select several likely candidates for a lair:

The first, relatively near the passageway leading to the lift, was a massive derelict Hab-block. Countless of apartments lined side by side within the neglected building. But whether or not all of them were uninhabited was more or less another issue all together..

The second, further away, was a more or less intact three-story building: once a mansion, now left to rot in solitude. Its massive doors, open just a crack, allow you enough space to slip into the entrance hall...

[OOC: Pick one, and roll-whatever you feel appropriate to your approach. (Move Silently, Concealment, Etc.)]

Chameon
2011-04-17, 02:16 PM
Grendel giggles and begins walking towards the apartments, but then stops. For a moment, he thinks about it, and then nods, remembering his teachers taste in opulence he instead decides to attempt to capture the mansion and immediately looks at Rook, then makes a motion for it to go inside, muttering phrases he believes will strengthen his powers before activating Vermin Speaking to check inside. After it activates he states "Rook, check inside now, we need to know ahead of time."

Invocation Roll[roll0]
Power Generation Roll[roll1]
If 9 [roll2]

Saldre
2011-04-17, 02:49 PM
Grendel's Phenomenal First Roll

As the bird readies itself to hop off your shoulder; you feel yourself overcome with the urge to devour it.

For a fleeting moment, you imagine yourself chewing on its soft flesh, its satiating blood trickling from the corner of your lips while your fangs dig into its feathered skin- tearing it completely apart- piece by piece, feather by feather- the threat of your song come to pass.

You stare at it, perched on your shoulder, as it looks into your eyes for what seems like an eternity- and in their depths, you see yourself: the horrid reflection of a creature from beyond the warp.

Sharing the bird's perception, you realize why its frozen in terror- and though the vision fades after a fraction of time, Rook is too shaken up to move for a while...

Looks like you'll have to explore the Hab-block yourself.

Chameon
2011-04-17, 03:07 PM
Grendel frowns angrily, stopping the flow he used to activate the power and slips into the door slowly tearing some of the fragments of his robe apart on a jutting nail he gets inside, barely, and grabs the backpack he dropped on the other side, pulling it in. He opens the backpack onehanded and states "Dracula, go sneak around and catch those unfortunate enough to be against us in this building." After stating this he looks around the area whilst the bat flits into the air and travels through the mansion as sneakily as it can.

Silent Move of bat[roll0] Against 73 (Puny+Silent Move +30)
Self Awareness [roll1] Against 40

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-17, 03:15 PM
"Ah! Phenomenal! Service!" Anaster approaches the front desk, rather unimpressed by the "finery" except surprised that this place even looks even a little nice, what with the state of the town.

He peers over the desk, trying to get a glimpse of whatever troll exists to serve him here.

Saldre
2011-04-17, 03:31 PM
Anaster & Whoever else approaches the Front Desk:

You reach the desk and run your fingers over its smooth surface- recognizing it almost immediately: a high-quality wood harvested from (relatively) rare trees in the tropical forests of the planet.

Behind the desk; a sallow-faced pretty boy looks up from a large volume at your approach.

"Room, Sir?" He asks, smiling politely.
Grendel:

You find yourself in a large entrance hall. The place has been, more or less ransacked. Though some furniture remains, its ripped and destroyed beyond repairs. Perhaps once a prominent household, little remains in the building around you.

Any portraits or baubles that decorated the walls have been thorn down and removed, stolen by scum perhaps ages ago- leaving behind only what was too heavy or too broken to take.

To your right and left; two hallways extend each to a set of doors- one is open; just a crack.

Ahead of you; two staircases surround the hall, leading to the second floor of the mansion- where the bat darted too when it took flight.

Chameon
2011-04-17, 03:41 PM
Grendel walks slowly to the cracked door on his right listening as best he can, putting an ear to the frame he attempts to discern if there are any people are inside, horrifying or otherwise, and listens for the squealing of a floorboard, wincing whenever he makes an off step that causes it, he avoids the middle of the floor whilst walking.

[roll0] 40 Awareness

Saldre
2011-04-17, 03:44 PM
Grendel:

Its quiet- and pitch black beyond the door to the right. Not a Peep rises from within...

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-17, 03:47 PM
"Yes, my good fellow. Oh, quite an exquisite wood here!," he says, feeling the desk with his fingertips. "We'll be requiring, er..." he looks to his companions, thinking about how he does not want to share rooms, and doubts his cousin would either. "Three rooms. Three? Probably three. On the same floor, preferably adjacent. Are you very full-booked?"

Saldre
2011-04-17, 03:52 PM
Anaster:

"No sir, we'll have three rooms ready in a few minutes." He says, reaching over for an auto-quill besides him, then leaning over the book, he begins to note something down.

"Three rooms it is then, sir- Suites 1407, 1408 & 1409 are clear and ready for immediate use." He says, after checking his records. "How long shall you be staying?"

Chameon
2011-04-17, 04:00 PM
Grendel opens the door, if there's nothing on the other end that he can observe that is likely to bite off his face, he promptly proceeds to look around the room and attempt to discern whatever's in it, looking for anything indicative of potential danger, after looking for the light switch. If it's just a closet with mothridden clothes, he'll likely steal a coat.
[roll0] Awareness again

brolthemighty
2011-04-17, 04:00 PM
Sejast sidles up to where his Cousin is speaking with the menial, putting on an air of haughty contempt, "Ah Cousin! What's the word? Did they have any rooms suitable for us? I absolutely MUST get clean. Wash the stink of the port and...," as he glances at his associates, "OTHER things, off of me."

Having an idea, he turns to the menial, "I say, good man. Would there happen to be many other Nobles staying here at the moment?"

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-17, 04:13 PM
"We will be staying up to two weeks, maximum. And, ah, what services do you provide for noble guests?"

He looks around the room for other guests or staff, then to his cousin. "Yes, quite, they have rooms ready for use."

brolthemighty
2011-04-17, 04:28 PM
Sejast claps his hands together, "Perfect. Places to go, people to see, Thrones to spend you know."
Awareness:
Awareness check for to see if anyone is paying undue attention to us.
[roll0] vs 40

Saldre
2011-04-17, 04:35 PM
Grendel:

You open the door to the remnants of an old parlour. On the other side of the room, you make out the outline of a massive fireplace. On either of its sides, piled beneath broken shelves, a stack of tattered and ripped books is all that remains here- the rest having suffered the same fate as the decorative baubles in the hallway.

To your right, a gouged couch and two chairs- tipped over, one with a broken leg, the other a broken back. To your left, what once was a massive Piano: now nothing more then a wreck- missing keys and a cover.

There doesn't seem to be anyone here. Once more, all is quiet.
The Group:

"Why of course sir; The rooms provided are on our top floor, high quality suites- nothing but the best for our esteemed guests." He answers Sejast before turning to Anaster. "We do have weekly rates, sir- 500 thrones per room, payable upon departure of course- as for services, Meals and Entertainment are included in the cost- barring gratuities of course"

"I am afraid the information in the registry is confidential, like you- all of our guests value their privacy. However, your bound to meet any number of them in the reading room or the multiple Salons." He answers Sejast's second question before reaching for three keys hanging behind him.

Anaster:

You turn to the side, looking about for other staff- and spot, standing by the fire- a bellhop in a suit next to a food filled tray- Exotic jams, and butter and various bottles besides a basket of toasted bread.

All around him; unremarkable (yet finely dressed) guests read books or pamphlets- while a Vox phonograph plays a peculiar melody.

"Sound His praises, tell the story, Of Him Who was slain;"

As you glance towards him, one of the guests lowers a data-pad and turns towards you. He nods politely, waving to you from the distance- then goes back to his reading.
Sejast (Only):

You follow Anaster's gaze as he looks to the rest of the finely dressed guests... In the distance, you spot the Bellhop- standing besides his tray of exotic jams and butter... staring at you.

Turning to the other guests around you, you can't help but feel them looking at you from the corner of their eyes...

You even catch a glimpse of one, who quickly hides behind his book just as your eyes meet his.

All in all, a vox-phonograph plays deafening music- and you wonder how anyone can read with it playing so loud.

"Sound His praises, tell with gladness, He liveth again."

brolthemighty
2011-04-17, 04:57 PM
He regards the menial, "Of course, of course. I can appreciate that." Sejast turns to Anaster, "If you'll excuse me Cousin, I believe some introductions are in order. Must start laying the groundwork afterall."

As he walks away from the desk, Sejast quietly voices over his microbead "Cover me." Almost wrapping himself in an air of haughty authority and pompousity, he strides over to the lounge towards the guests he noticed. "Gentlemen, let me put your curiosity at ease. I am Lord Sejast Novus, of House Belasco, here for....business of my own, naturally. I would just LOVE to get together with all of you for dinner, say tomorrow night? It has been far too long since I have visited this side of Malfi, and I am woefully out of touch with the local gossip. I believe it might be....profitable....for all of us, were we to sit and chat."

Saldre
2011-04-17, 07:18 PM
Sejast:

At your interruption, one of the older guests scoff loudly, lowering his Data-pad and giving you a disdained look before going back to his reading; Typical of the older generation- completely full of themselves.

On the other hand, a woman stands up when you approach her. Dressed in a gauzy evening dress, and wearing various expensive accessories and jewelry, she smiles at you, her white teeth contrasting with her long, slick black hair.

"Good evening" She returns your greeting. "I am Brenda Trantor, of House Atellus; Charmed" She says, offering you her hand- her fair skin smooth to the touch.

"Looking to loose a habit, or pick one up?" She asks with a mischievous grin. "I was just about to head for Lunch; care to join me?"

Looking to your chrono, you notice that it was indeed noon already- and Lady Sarah Keetling was expecting you...

Alastorz
2011-04-17, 07:37 PM
As soon as he gets the message from Sejast, Zolonov moves in his direction. He tries to look calm and unconcerned. He peeks discreetly at Sejast and try to hear what he is saying to the stranger.

Talkkno
2011-04-17, 09:18 PM
Lenk approaches to clerk, asking quietly.
"How much would it be for, say less lavish accommodations?"

Saldre
2011-04-17, 09:39 PM
Lenk & Anaster

The clerk tilts his head to the side at Lenk's question, a perplexed look painting itself on his face.

"Less lavish accommodations sir?" He asks, a hint of surprise in his tone. "We cater exclusively to the best here, sir: I am sure you'll find our service well worth the asking price- Unless of course, your inquiring about our servants quarters?"

He says, handing the keys to Anaster with one hand- and ringing a nearby bell with the other.

Answering the call, another uniformed youth stepped out from beyond a small door behind the desk. Grinning, he moves to pick up the large box- and (if no one decides to stop him), will most likely proceed to lead you to your respective rooms.

Talkkno
2011-04-17, 11:07 PM
"Yes, the servant's quarters, that work just fine, how much?"

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-17, 11:19 PM
"Oh, certainly not for me, but if my 'associate' does so exist in slumming it, I see no need to persuade him otherwise. But of course my cousin and I shall keep the staterooms."Anaster is bored of this exchange already, eager to see what Sejast is up to. "Do be a dear boy and take care of the details, yes? Only the best for scions of Belasco, after all."

Saldre
2011-04-17, 11:30 PM
Lenk & Anaster:

"Hmm, if your staff is extensive and additional servants quarters are required- then we can accommodate; but those rooms are on another floor." He answers

"We'll add the extra rooms to your bill then, for the weekly rate of..." He continues before stopping once Anaster speaks up.

"I see- Of course sir." He nods to the noble, then to the Bellhop- "Please show the Gentlemen to their rooms" he says and motions to Anaster, Sejast & Zolonov.

The Bellhop grabs the box and lifts it up (you can't imagine how heavy it must be...) and walks to the Elevator.

"This way please, Sirs."
Lenk:

Then, turning to face Lenk, he speaks up once more. Though his voice is pleasant, you feel as if he can't understand why anyone would want to stay in a servants quarters when a perfectly luxurious suit was being offered to them.

"Servants quarters are included in the going rates, sir- only extra rooms would have been charged: You can make your way to the service door over there..." He says, and points to a discreet door in the corner of the room. "You'll find your quarters on the other side."

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 12:07 AM
Lore Check:Information regarding the Astellan House
CLore(Imperium)[roll0] vs. 83 w/ reroll: [roll1]
CLore(Underworld)[roll2] vs. 83 w/ reroll: [roll3]
Sejast takes the proferred hand, reversing it so her wrist is up, brushes his lips across her pulse while bowing over it. "Enchanted of course, Lady. As much as I would enjoy hanging on your every delectable word that would leave even the finest gourmet lunch ash in one's mouth, alas and alack, my day's activities have been accounted and accosted for. However, if it would please you, we could meet for drinks and entertainment, say tomorrow evening?"
Charm:
Charm through Deceive[roll4] vs.60 with FP Reroll if needed [roll5]

Upon seeing Zolonov advance he waves him over, "Ah, Z, my good man! Has everything been arranged yet? Good. Please put down that I will be meeting with the beautious Lady Trantor of House Atellus tomorrow night, to wine, dine, and see what sights she wishes me to see," he says as he gives her his most dashing smile. "M'Lady, if you'll excuse me, I must spirit away to some very pressing business. I do so hope to see you again, so that we may have some pressing business as well. Good day."

As he purposely strides away, Sejast glances towards the front desk to see what is taking his Cousin.
Awareness:Rolled in OOC: 99 vs. 40ish

Saldre
2011-04-18, 01:03 AM
Sejast:

"I am sure to be here tomorrow evening, Lord Novus." She says, and nods to him politely as he leaves.

Walking away from the lady, you remember a number of things about her family: a once prominent noble house, they lost the title over 50 years ago when the last generation squandered away most of their parent's fortune on gambling debts and overpriced entertainment- simultaneously running their business into the ground while failing to secure a reasonable source of income.

Fortunately, Silon Atellus- most probably the only sane member of the household, was a ruthless business man with an unnatural affinity for investments.

He became famous for his ability to locate failing business and properties, purchasing them at rock bottom prices just in time for an economic boom ensuring him a hefty profit.

In the span of a dozen years, his purchases included everything from manufactorums to entire hive sectors. Regaining him the family's massive fortune and allowing him to recover the house's title once more.

Having recovered its glory, and its business sense, the family has since grown- His sons and daughters are all famous for their ruthlessness and drive, not to mention their financial savvy and divine luck in business.

However, the house has its fair share of enemies and rivals: Accusations of foul play and sabotage have been raised on more then one occasion by nobles and property owners who, refusing to sell, have seen their holdings and properties lose worth and value, until they have no choice but to concede and sell at reduced prices.

Some say that is the secret to Silon's success, and not in his overdeveloped business sense. The family's past connection to the underworld lends credence to the suspicions- despite its newly cleaned slate.

One thing is certain: it is particularly strange that the businesses that House Atellus expresses interest in purchasing often find themselves failing after the fact, only to boom once the deed has transferred ownership into Silon's hands...

Obviously the family denies this and the massive gap in time that passes before they purchase anything makes it difficult, if not impossible, to validate the accusations...

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 02:00 AM
Hmmm, definitely a connection to try and cultivate I'd say, Sejast thinks as he continues on to the front desk. Upon seeing the bell-hop pick up Grendel's box he grimaces, and and prays, Throne preserve us if that thing gets out of the box!

Ready to unload his burdens and relax a bit, Sejast follows the bell-hop and his Cousin to the elevator. "So, Cousin, would you like for me to keep an ear out for any work for you as well? Something maybe to keep you entertained?"

Chameon
2011-04-18, 08:21 AM
Grendel warily looks around the room for a minute, scratching Rook's back as gently as he can whilst walking around the room almost blindly. After a few minutes, he decides it is almost good enough, and walks to the room with the open door, looking in as carefully as he can.

[roll0] awareness check, once again.

Saldre
2011-04-18, 03:01 PM
Grendel:

You look about the room with the Piano for a few moments, and can't shake the feeling that there's something wrong with your surroundings.

Its dark, you can barely make anything out in the shadowed corners. But still, there was something Off with the room here- some detail you missed.

Still, you leave- and head back into the hallway. From here, you spot something peculiar...

But your not too sure... Was that other door open when you came in? or closed?

Regardless- It was now, much like the door you just crossed, open just a crack- as if someone has taken great care not to slam it shut, or opened it just enough to take a peek at the hallway...

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 03:22 PM
"Oh yes, please, I'm dreadfully bored now and can only imagine that it will intensify. But that lady over there looks like quite the...entertainer," he says, looking at Lady Astellan. "Oh, you'll be glad to know that Lenk here has no desire to live in luxury and decided, of his own volition, to sleep in the servants' quarters. As I said, far be it from me to impose my will upon a learned associate like Lenk. But I've gone on long enough...we're late to meet the Lady Keetling."

Talkkno
2011-04-18, 04:05 PM
"Well then, I'm sure everyone has found their accommodations then? Might as well make our way to the Keetling's residence now." Lenk asks as he begins to go outside towards to car.

Saldre
2011-04-18, 04:18 PM
The Group:

The Bellhop leads you into the Elevator and reaches for the door. Once everyone is inside, he places the box on the floor and closes the metal grating, causing to rattle loudly.

Sejast:

As you enter the Elevator- you notice that the front desk is now empty.
Then, reaching towards a level on the side, he pulls it down and the elevator begins to shake as it slowly rises to the top of the Hotel- leaving the lobby behind. A few minutes later, spent listening to a delightful voxed melody, it slows to a stop upon reaching the appropriate floor.

Anyone here can test perception to notice something.
"Please follow me, Sirs." He says, picking up the box once more- and exits into the hallway ahead.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/1294532071350.jpg?t=1303160723

Red carpeting lines your passage, and several exquisite paintings decorate the walls. It doesn't take you too long to reach your rooms. The Bellhop proceeds to open room 1408 and places the box inside.

The room itself was grand, and certainly meets your expectations: it was clean, well furnished- and tastefully so. The walls were covered in a velvety fiber that exuded an aura of comfort and sumptuousness.

A quick look around reveals that each suites consists of three rooms: a salon (with a desk and several couches and sofas), a bedroom (with a huge, and very comfortable King Sized Bed) and a (very large) bathroom (with an equally large tub) and finally a balcony with a view of the ocean behind Prudenza.

"You'll enjoy your stays here sir, I am sure the Broadalbin will meet your every need." He says, standing by the door, awaiting further instructions.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 04:19 PM
"Haven't you heard of 'fashionably late?' If you want to wait with the car...fine, probably a good idea anyway. Sejast and I will check the rooms."

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 04:28 PM
Sejast regards his cousin as they ride the lift up to their rooms...."Really? He chose the servants quarters? Huh. Well, maybe something productive will come of it then. How odd......." Sejast trails off in thought. However, at the mention of Lady Trantor he perks up, "Oh yes, she does seem very....capable, of providing an entertaining evening, of course. I'm hoping that my evening meeting with her proves enlightening....and more than a little profitable." Sejast stops for a second, "She is an Astellan afterall. You DO remember your lessons on the Astellans yes? Ruthless businessmen and women. Fate seems to continually smile upon them. Huh, I wonder....." Realizing that the bell-hop is still in the elevator, he reconsiders whatever it was he was getting ready to stay. "Either way, it should be a great evening. I'll keep an ear out for any business opportunities for you."
Perception:
Rolled in OOC Thread. 2 vs. TN 40 before modifiers

Over the microbead, "Good thinking Lenk. We should be down in a short while. Be sure to have the car in front for when we do." At that, Sejast gives a slight smirk, and switches off his microbead.

As Sejast steps into the rooms to have a quick look around....and find places to stow his gear, he turns to the bell-hop, "Thank you, these rooms will suffice," and hands him a 20 Throne tip.

Saldre
2011-04-18, 05:33 PM
Anaster, Sejast and Zolonov.

"Thank you sir" The Bellhop bows his head politely and turns to leaving, vanishing around a corner in the hallway.

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 05:47 PM
Sejast holds up a hand, speakaing quietly,"Hold on one second, let's make sure he's gone."
Awareness:Listening to hear the elevator leave the floor, checking the Auspex to make sure his blip goes there and disappears with the elevator.
[roll0] vs. TN 70 (Per +20(Auspex - I think))

Saldre
2011-04-18, 05:52 PM
Sejast:

You notice two things: first; the Bellhop is gone- you hear the elevator moving away from the floor and second: your Auspex detects nothing outside of the room. The walls are probably shielded, most likely to ensure the security and anonymity of the guests.

You need a tech-use to use an auspex, but seeing as your not in a rush- we'll say you passed it.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 05:57 PM
Anaster moves smoothly throughout the room, taking in the general layout and the decor, before beginning a quiet sweet for any bugs, consulting his handheld auspex for any emissions like radio waves or energy expenditure.

Search vs. TN 55: [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-18, 05:58 PM
Anaster:

You find absolutely nothing: the room is, for all intents and purposes, spotless- this is a high reputation hotel, famous for both its discretion and service.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 06:14 PM
"Well, at least this place lives up to its reputation. Still, we should sweep every time we come back, just to be safe."

He pockets his auspex. "So, tell me cousin, this dinner with the lady...where?"

Talkkno
2011-04-18, 06:19 PM
Lenk heads back to the van, waiting outside the hotel for the otherwise to finish checking their rooms, searching to see if their are any hidden compartments.

Search [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-18, 06:25 PM
Lenk:

You open the glove compartment- and tap its inside. It sounds hollow- but your not sure. Searching for a button or some such that might reveal a compartment besides your seat- you find nothing.

It seems that you'll have to hide your things along with the others in the back.

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 06:40 PM
"Huh. Even better. It seems that these rooms have been shielded. We shouldn't have to worry about vox thiefs planted near our rooms at least. Unless they're hard-wired in." Sejast walks around the room a bit, storing away various pieces of gear. Pleased with the rooms, he turns to his companions,"Alright, so what's our next move? Directly to the Keetlings? I'll need to stop by the Bureau, but I can put that off. That, or we could split up....."

Sejast grins at his Cousins question,"Heh, wouldn't you like to know. I apologize Cousin, but I will be flying solo for this venture. However, if you would like shadow us, you can watch if you'd like. For the purpose of backup, naturally."

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 06:43 PM
"Didn't...didn't I just say that, about bug-sweeps?" Anaster looks at his cousin out of the corner of his eye. "If you need to go to the bureau, I'll go to the Keetling residence and speak to the lady. You can come there whenever you're done with the Bureau. I'd not like fashionably late to turn into just plain late, hence why I at least am going to go make our presence known to her."

He looks around the room one more time. "Anyway, we should get going."

Talkkno
2011-04-18, 06:45 PM
Lenk examines the car to see how well it would hold up when confronted with stubber fire.

Common Lore(war) [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-18, 06:50 PM
Lenk:

The "car" in question is fairly infamous on Malfi- and you recognize it almost instantly. "Enforcer Patrol Cruisers"- these vehicles maintain order on the Arteria. Often outfitted with heavy stubbers, they are often used in Riot-suppression because of their heavy armor, loud hailers and weapon pods.

On Malfi (the hive world with perhaps the largest and most extensive, complex and dangerous Arteria system in all of Calixis), The Scarab (and dozens of other models) are used primarily by enforcers and noble houses (who refurbish the machines into luxury vehicles); the most infamous of which- the "Jack-Ripper", features a shovel-prow studded with Chain blades.

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 07:11 PM
"I agree, I'd rather not be late. Besides, she might know something that will need to be followed up at the Bureau anyways, so why don't we first go see her. Besides, I am very much interested to hear her side of things first hand." Sejast jibes his Cousin, "Can't have you missing important details afterall," he says with a grin.

Alastorz
2011-04-18, 07:32 PM
''I think we shouldn't waste anymore time here, let's go see her right away.''

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 07:36 PM
"Zolonov! I have no idea what you've been spending time on, nor am I particularly interested in hearing about it, but yes! Hence why we're going to the car!"

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 07:43 PM
Anaster ushers everyone down to the car.

Saldre
2011-04-18, 08:14 PM
The Group:

With the group back together (Except for Grendel), Lenk begins his drive towards Keetling domain. Whereas taking the main road around the hive all the way to the 200th floor would have taken at least a few days; Prudenza had several floor to floor lifts that ensured smooth transportation for both people and vehicles.

Getting to a lift to the 200th floor was not nearly as complicated as it should have been- traffic going up that high was virtually non-existent in Prudenza, where most people remembered their places on the food chain.

On the other hand, security was an issue- after all, the lift was not designed to take just anybody to the Spires. Fortunately, with the Lady expecting you, gaining access was merely a matter of inserting an entrance code (downloaded to your data-slates during the trip to Prudenza).

The trip upwards would have been, unlike your experience at the hotel, both long and unpleasant- the lift slowly crawling up 75 floors- if not for the car's entertainment system.

When you reach your destination; the lift comes to a slow and steady halt, causing a small tremor (which you didn't feel at all) and Lenk resumes his driving to the 4th quadrant.

Soon, you reach the front-gates of an impressive mansion- though still not as impressive as the Belasco's family homes. All in all, the Keetlings where a minor noble family, but a noble family nonetheless- and their domain reflected their vast wealth.

Unlike the lift, no security box is nearby: instead, moments after your arrival, you hear a faint whirring in the distance getting louder and louder- until a servo-skull comes floating to the side of the window.

"Welcome to the Keetling Domain; Please Present Security Code" It drones on before extending a small arm ending with a key-pad.

"Access Granted" It says after you finish typing it in; and the gates slide open, allowing you drive in with the Servo-skull floating besides you.

Upon reaching the main entrance, you find, standing at the door, two "well dressed" servitors- no doubt the help.

"Please follow me, the lady will see you now." The servitor continues, darting into the massive five story manor.

Unexpectedly, the inside of the house is quite plain. No priceless paintings or vases decorate the hallways- you a spot a few statues here and there, lone sentinels in the vast emptiness that is the Keetling residence. All in all, the atmosphere is reserved and austere.

Following the skull across long, but drab passages, you eventually reach a pair of ivory doors and a sitting room beyond. In here, a few sofas (Very comfortable) surround a massive table (Anaster notices it is of similar quality to the front desk at the hotel, if he happens to touch it).

On one of the walls, two portraits depict who you assume to be the late Mister and Misses Keetling. Opposite to it, massive curtains are drawn over the windows- until the two servitors pull them open, flooding the room with light.

"Miss Keetling will arrive shortly." The servo skull says and darts back outside of the room.

As soon as you sit down, two servitors enter the room- carrying a tray of refreshment (a high grade well-aged wine)- which they proceed to serve you while you await the lady of the house.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 08:21 PM
"There is something to be said for less is more, isn't there cousin?" Anaster says offhandedly, taking a glass and looking through it, smelling it, swirling it expertly before tasting it. "Oh, quite nice, especially after that drive. Honestly I never knew scum could scamper so fast - nor that anywhere on Malfi they'd dare to cut in front of a Lussuosità."

"And this is the same fine wood, as the hotel," he murmurs, tracing one finger along the table. "Few objets d'art, yet exquisite taste in furniture."

He peers up at the two portraits, toasting them silently before getting another glass of wine.

Talkkno
2011-04-18, 08:38 PM
"Certainly, a lot less tacky then what I've seen typical for such folk." Lenk comments, preferring not to sit, as he stands behind a coach.

Alastorz
2011-04-18, 08:55 PM
Zolonov gets a glass of wine, smells it carefully and drinks. A few seconds later, he lights a Lho-stick.
''You would expect them to be full of themselves, like most nobles. Maybe they understand how meaningless our existences are, despite all the throne we can accumulate. In the end, the only thing that matters is if you're ready to give your life for the Emperor.''

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 08:57 PM
Awareness:
On the trip through the house to the reception area, I'm wanting to see if the walls are bare by design, or if there are places where it looks like there used to be decorations and pictures there, but are now removed.
[roll0] vs. TN 50
"Oh I quite agree. To often you see decor so overdone it becomes nothing more than gaudy. The question however, is whether it is intentional." Sejast says this, and then sits quietly while savoring the wine.

Saldre
2011-04-18, 09:00 PM
Sejast:

Your keen eye notices spots on the walls that are lighter than the rest of it- no doubt paintings used to decorate them, but they have all been removed (Whether or not this has happened recently is another matter completely)...

Alastorz
2011-04-18, 09:20 PM
Zolonov gets on his feets and starts pacing. He turns his back to the others, to watch a statue. When he turns back, he has a new Lho-stick in his mouth.

''I think we need to prepare what we are going to say to our host before she arrives. We could try to ask her if there is a reason why her decorations are so modests. What else should we ask? Does anyone have ideas?''

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 09:28 PM
"Hmm, a few things. Were there any ventures her brother was attempting at the time of his disappearance? Anything threats, out of the usual of course, recently? Maybe any of the other Houses trying to buyout or takeover some of their ventures. Anything she FEELS we might need to know? Details that might've been missed in the initial report we received? That sort of thing."

"I wonder if she needs any help in running things...." Sejast looks around to his associates, "anything else you would like to add?"

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 09:37 PM
"Implying her decorations are modest and suggesting a reason are a surefire way to earn scorn and tight lips, even if she requested our presence in the first place. No, better to flatter and play, approaching the target directly only after circling the other avenues. Find out his business partners, his friends, those who flattered him and those he was trying to flatter. Whether he was involved with anyone known to be particularly brutal in their methods, and who his friends are. Malfian nobles can't be approached head-on about their personal issues - Sejast, you should know that as well as anyone. It raises our hackles, gets our fangs out. No, the best path forward is from the side."1

He takes a sip of wine. "And I'll want to see his chamber. There could e evidence, if the lady was canny enough to not let servants destroy any remaining evidence that could have been there. And best to let Sejast and me do the talking. No offense."

Saldre
2011-04-18, 09:41 PM
The Group (Except for Grendel)

You barely have time to discuss before the doors fling open, revealing a beautiful woman in her mid thirties with fair skin and flowing blond hair. Her lips, bright red, mirror her dress- a long and fancy evening gown that seems to float behind her.

She moves to the largest sofa in the room and sits down, looking over the investigators- studying them- before motioning for a servitor, who proceeds to bring her a glass of wine.

"So you're the ones uncle sent to help find my brother?" She says, a hint of disdain in her voice- and takes a sip from her glass.

Alastorz
2011-04-18, 09:47 PM
''Yes we are.''

Zolonov gives an ambiguous smile to Anaster.

''You understand that we will need all the informations you can give us in order to succeed in our investigation.''

brolthemighty
2011-04-18, 10:23 PM
Sejast catches the smile that passes between his associates, Oh Throne, just what we need, he thinks.

"Yes, my dear Lady. We are they. I am truly sorry to hear about your Brother, and hope that we can bring this whole unsavory matter to a swift end." He looks at Zolonov briefly, "I apologize for my associate's directness. His zeal sometimes gets the better of him, which makes him....somewhat excitable. Of course you will help where you can. Withholding information that might help us find your brother is a ludicrous notion, one that is unworthy of him to mention."
Taking another sip of the wine, he raises the glass to the light,"You honor us with a very fine vintage. Very fine indeed. Does your family have ties to it's production? Or just know something of value and taste when you see it?"

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-18, 10:43 PM
"Ah, Lady Keetling. Your presence is our pleasure." Anaster bows deeply as he looks to each associate, shooting Zolonov a look reminiscent of the edge of a power sword. "Your house is beautiful, your taste exquisite. As my associate stated, our prayers go to Him On Terra to spare your family more heartache." He takes a seat on a couch adjacent to Lady Keetling. "And yes, please pardon my friend's zeal. The Schola Progenum is known for producing a certain quality of Imperial citizen - those who serve with faith and fury, not those who swim the currents of polite society."

Saldre
2011-04-18, 11:12 PM
Zolonov (Only):

Though you can't see him, you can feel him standing behind you. He reaches forward, taking your hand- and places it on the hilt of our chain-sword.

The Nobles think their thrones will shield them from the world? You should teach them a lesson- put them in their place.

He growls into your ear, urging you to unsheathe the weapon.

For all they, she killed him- look at her and her blood red dress- Don't you wonder if she bleeds blue? If it tastes as good as the wine...

He licks his lips, and you feel a pang of pain as you bite on your lip- and the unpleasant metallic taste of blood fills your mouth.

There's only one way to find out... You know you want too...

The Group: Lady In Red's Turn:

The lady first looks to Zolonov as he speaks up, then to the other two- and lastly the quiet one standing behind a couch, before placing her goblet on a small nearby table.

"Production, No- but we do import it from Orbell Quill." She answers Sejast, without volunteering further details- then turns to Anaster, nodding her head to him politely. Finally, her gaze settles on Zolonov.

"I won't waste your time with pointless preamble." She says, before continuing with her story.

"Andreyus was always the quiet, responsible type- until, that is, a few months ago: when he began associating with that group of Artists" She begins, that last word dripping with disdain and disapproval.

"Before long, he was spending much more time with them than he was at home- can you imagine that?" She chuckles dryly- her tone more so annoyed than mournful.

"Regardless, I thought little of it- he was sure to loose interest and settle back into his normal lifestyle." She says, the certainty in her words almost palpable.

"As time went on, I could see I was wrong. I began to worry he was falling into a bad crowd: we have the family's reputation to uphold, after all." She continues, looking at both Sejast and Anaster, as if to emphasize her words.

"A few weeks ago, we had an argument- a few days later, Andreyus went out one evening and never returned. I have notified the Arbites- and the Gendarmery, but they have uncovered nothing regarding his disappearance- I am not sure that the Arbitrator in charge is doing a proper job." She concludes.

Alastorz
2011-04-18, 11:55 PM
Zolonov makes an unhuman effort to listen to the lady's story. He looks extremely tensed. A single drop of blood is flowing down is chin. Nevertheless, his voice is steady when he talks.

''Could you be a little more specific about that group of artists he was associating with lately?''

He then looks at the others and there is a second where a contained unholy rage is visible in his eyes. He turns again toward the lady and adds:

''Please.''

Talkkno
2011-04-19, 01:35 AM
Lenk simply observes threw out conversation, attempting to discern the general mood of their client, nodding respectfully every now and then.

Scrutiny:
[roll0]

brolthemighty
2011-04-19, 02:21 AM
"As you can imagine, it is quite refreshing to dispose of the preamble and verbal jousting that generally goes with meetings between those of polite society. Always trying to outdue one another. Your directness is very much appreciated in a time like this, so let me be just as direct. You said that you had an argument with your brother. What was it about?" Sejast wonders he if might've have spoken too boldly, but her directness had thrown him off-axis for a moment. It had been a long time since someone had been so blunt and direct about their Houses affairs. Either she was truly sincere, and desperate.....or it was a direct attempt at misdirection. Could that be it?, he wonders.

Chameon
2011-04-19, 07:05 AM
Grendel shakes his head, grumbling slightly as it becomes clear to him that this mansion contains more then just him, and gets into a meditative position, closing his own eyes, and begins breathing heavily as he mutters "Out. Get out now. We need as much as we can get," which is promptly followed by the boreworms burrowing out of his flesh, causing minor bleeding as they flop onto the ground, he mutters an invocation and begins another attempt at drawing on his personal power of vermin speaker as he mutters to the worms "Into that room Gretel." Grendel seems vaguely uncomfortable with the idea of reaching into his powers in any format at this point, twitching slightly as he remembers his own face in the eyes of Rook, he nevertheless reaches into the warp, as this examination is going too slow and he IS on a timer.

[roll0] Invocation 83 (+10, Familiar)
[roll1] Verminspeaker power Thresh 10, if 3 or less and invocation fails, auto fail. Target is the gloomhaunt.
[roll2] [roll3] Delayed action followed by vermin speaker into Gretel. Thresh 15 if previous succeeded.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-19, 09:03 AM
Anaster is a little taken aback by Lady Sarah cutting through all the BS and getting down to it. Not that he would show it. "Hm, did Andreyus ever mention where in the hive these...artists...lived or spent time? Or the route he took to get there? Did he go by himself or take a guard?"

Saldre
2011-04-19, 10:17 AM
Lenk:

The lady seems to have no reservations- whether or not that means she's telling the truth, you can't quite say. After all, Malfian nobles where infamous for their ability to lie and cheat in cold-blood.
Then the Group:

As you take your turns speaking, the servo-skull once more returns with a shawl and drapes it over his mistress's shoulders. While listening quietly to your questions, she takes a Lho-stick from one of the servitors (who proceed to light it for her) as she answers your questions.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/052/7/d/Lady_in_shawl_by_Phobs.jpg

"I am afraid my brother's acquaintances were just that- my brother's." She first answers Zolonov. "I know little, if anything about them- They never came here and he only mostly spoke of them. But I know the type, Wasteful and decadent."

Without missing a beat, she motions towards the Witcherfinder, and makes a dabbing motion at her chin."Be sure not to get any of the wine on the Furniture."

"He used to meet them at Prudenza's Expositorium of Fine Arts. Its on this floor- not too far away; so he drove himself there." She continues on the line of questioning. "He was quite used to making the trip and never saw the need for a guard."

Finally, she stops talking for a moment and taps her Lho-stick over a tray.

"Do you think that's going to be relevant to the Investigation, mister..?" She answers Sejast with a question of her own, finally displaying SOME reserve at discussing private matters- and revealing that she hadn't even bothered taking your names...

Zolonov:

A prissy Woman, Isn't she? What part of Everything didn't she Understand? Aren't you going to let her know what happens to people who fail to obey instructions?
& Finally Grendel:

As soon as you drop the worm, you establish contact with it and the Gloomhaunt.

You see that the latter is quickly moving towards you; exiting an empty room upstairs and moving into the entrance hall. Whereas the warm is quickly crawling towards its destination...

However, no sooner does it reach the doorway- that the door slowly creeps open, and you find yourself looking into the eyes of a mutated monstrosity.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/Starringeyes.jpg?t=1303227444

A monstrous fear grips you as you watch it lick its fangs in anticipation of a feast; your arms begin to tremble and your legs begin to shake- you can barely stand- all alone, your Maw Fluke on the surface, your Gloomhaunt in another room...

You were in trouble...

You can snap out of the effects of fear with a successful WP test, which shouldn't be that big of a deal to you: keep in mind that it, and all further tests you do for this encounter (Assuming you fail to snap out of it) are at -10.

Your Boreworm is in Melee with the Mutant, your Gloomhaunt will be here after your next turn. Feel free to roll for the Worm.

Combat begins.... now!

Chameon
2011-04-19, 11:18 AM
Grendel immediately broke off the verminspeaker power, stopping all channeling of the technique. He would focus his mind to the task of ignoring the fear, he's seen worse, after all, ah but a few minutes ago. As he does this, Grendel states "Get him" and the worms and Rook all charge the mutant, attempting to blind and/or enter it to the best of their abilities. As he does this, he mutters irritably and draws on the warp to attempt to destroy him from its sight.

[roll0] Grendel's Willpower Roll (-10+10...Base) to remove the fear. 73
[roll1][roll2] See Me Not Power Roll, targetting the mutant.[roll3] Hansel's Charge into melee attack (+20 due to one ally being nearby and charging) so 48% chance
[roll4] Rook's Charge into melee attack (+30 due to two allies being nearby and charging) so 65% chance
[roll5] Rook's damage if it hits, primitive.
[roll6]Gretel's attempt to grasp onto the mutant's flesh, allout attack (Two allies nearby, +20, allout, +20) 68%.

Saldre
2011-04-19, 11:33 AM
Grendel:

Surprised by the leaping worms, the massive mutant staggers backwards into the room beyond the door and fades from your sight.

A massive ruckus, sounds of its struggle (along with something else)- echo from the other room, followed by an inhuman scream of terror.

Chameon
2011-04-19, 11:41 AM
Grendel walks towards the rooms door and yells out "Rook, leave this one. Go outside." As he gets a glimpse at the battle of mutant V Worm, he attempts, once again, to cast See Me Not, pushing a significant amount of power into the action.

[roll0][roll1][roll2] Grendel's power roll, see me not, on mutant.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-19, 11:42 AM
"Ah forgive us our manners, this investigative work has taken a serious toll on socializing! I'm Regin Anaster Belasco...please call me Anaster." he bows again. "Might I also introduce my cousin Sejast, and our associates Lenk and Zolotov."

He takes a drink of the wine, watching her for her reaction to the name-drop.

Scrutiny vs. TN 55: [roll0]

"Yes, well, your argument with your brother may be nothing, but it may be relevant. If he were upset or distracted about it, it could have affected his state of mind. The more information we have, the more will become clear. And surely we shall check up on this Expositorium of Fine Arts as well."

Saldre
2011-04-19, 11:49 AM
Grendel (For the rest of you, I will wait until two more people post- even if its just to say that they are waiting for her answers to Anaster's question.)

You reach the doorway and peer into the room behind it:

The first thing you notice is the hulking mutant; your target, trashing about in a rage as it attempts to remove the burrowing worms. Another mutant, just as big as it is, is standing right behind it- trying, but ultimately failing to help.

In a corner, a small mutant is frozen in terror at the spectacle- no doubt terrified by the worms themselves.

Suddenly, the largest mutant roars in triumph and grasps one of the worms- moments away from crushing it in his hand.

Chameon
2011-04-19, 12:05 PM
Grendel states, before they squash the other worm "Leave, now." And prepares his next motion.

Alastorz
2011-04-19, 12:28 PM
Zolonov drinks some wine, paying attention to any unusual variations in her voice or expression. He tries his best to look calm.

''You mentioned that the artists with whom your brother was associating were wasteful. Pardon my bluntness but, is it possible that hanging out with these people could have gotten him endebted? I know your family is wealthy so I can't help but notice that this marvelous domain isn't as full of decorations as some of the others that I have seen. Maybe my inference is a bit far-fetched but, is it be possible that your argument with him was linked to a financial matter?''

As he speaks, Zolonov focuses all his thoughts on the lady's reactions to his unorthodox questionning.

Inquiry+10 (TN: 55) [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-19, 01:27 PM
More Grendel:

With a wave of your hand, you delve into the minds of the mutants- and the mansion is illuminated by a bright flash. Faces, men, woman, children, overwhelm you; a family: ephemeral happiness, replaced by a splatter of blood. The gnawing of teeth, the taste of human flesh and the stench of death and decay- a generation unable to live on the surface, forced to hide in the darkness of the Underhive.

Years of horror, condensed into a a single moment- a fraction of a second forever etched into your memories- then cast away to the back of your mind as you exit the mutant's psyche.

With one worm captured; the mutant "leader" reaches down with his free hand for the other one: but this time, the second mutant is able to help- grabbing onto the tail of the burrowing critter before it fully penetrates the leader's flesh.

Pulling it out, he roars again- only to loose his grip on the first squirming creature, dropping it on the floor, giving it a chance to crawl away from them...

Unfortunately- the third mutant snaps out of its frozen state; enraged- he/she/it charges the worm, attempting to trample it- luckily, it borrows into the ground just as its assailant begins stomping over its head.

Chameon
2011-04-19, 01:53 PM
Grendel angrily waves both of his arms in a parody of stereotypical spellcasters, his flesh gets significantly lighter weight as he casts forget me to attempt to force the mutants to forget what just happened. As he performs this art, he mentally commands Rook to pick up a rock and throw it at the building's door, whilst the Gloomhaunt is ordered to scratch the ceiling and then attempt to vanish.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3] Corpus Conversion *2

Saldre
2011-04-19, 02:31 PM
Grendel:

The second worms wriggles out of the leader's hand and drops on the floor- only for the nearby brute to begin trampling it instead.

When things finally calm down, the leader begins to grunt loudly- sniffing the air and motioning to the entrance hall with his hands. The other shrug, as if not understanding- but seem to fall in line after a few grunts of their own.

Shoving the brute besides him, he moves towards you- intent on investigating the sounds in the entrance hall.

For the first time, you get a good look at the room itself: skulls and bones little the floor; and the foul stench of rotten meat rises from within. The large broken table cast aside by one of the walls indicates that this used to be some sort of dining room- and has kept up the role, even after the house's degeneration: only now, they served another kind of meat...

Talkkno
2011-04-19, 02:35 PM
Lenk bows at the mention of his name, as he takes a sip of wine of the table, asking.

"Have you ever had any contact with the curator of the Expositorium, or any of its staff?"

Common Lore: Imperium to check if the Expositorium was famous for something.
[roll0]

Chameon
2011-04-19, 02:45 PM
Grendel smiles, reminiscing of his own past experiences in this area momentarily before tearing hair out of the leader of the mutants from behind, dropping a few strands infront of the second in line and walking out of the way, and then 3 meters towards his two pet worms, who promptly re-enter his flesh. He smiles to himself at the simplicity of this action, and how much he will get from it.

Saldre
2011-04-19, 03:11 PM
Anaster:

At the mention of House Belasco's name, a frown forms across her lips- only to fade away almost instantaneously.

The Group:

She gives the group a courteous nod, before taking another sip from her wine glass.

"I welcome you to Prudenza then, and hope your stay here is a pleasant one- that is remains unaffected by all of that "weapons smuggling" business." She says coldly, with a hint of resentment in her voice. It is no secret that House Belasco is one of the main armaments producers in Malfi, if not the Calixis entire sector.

"The Schola's charge is very presumptuous" She begins, speaking to Anaster. "But very perceptive as well." She continued, turning to Zolonov.

"It is doubtful that my brother is indebted to anybody, however- he had been spending a large amounts of thrones, handing them out to people whom I don't know about." She continues "When I confronted him about it, he grew angry- and refused to discuss it. Later, he apologized and explained that he'd spent the thrones on some paintings with which he intended to decorate his study." Her voice is, once more, tinted with disgust.

"A complete and utter waste of thrones, don't you think?" She complains "Not to mention, they were quite atrocious."

"As for the decorations; what he hasn't moved into his Gallery- I have already sold." She says, finally turning to Lenk. "I can't stand art." Almost spitting out the word.

Grendel:

You slip into the room before the Leader gets a chance to exit, and pull one of his hairs from his head.

He turns abruptly to your direction, and notices the other mutant standing nearby. As expected, he growls angrily and moves towards him- knocking him on the head.

The other brute does not retaliate, recoiling in confusion under the blows of the bigger mutant.

You move towards your pet worms as the mutants continues to growl angrily, the leader asserting his dominance over the small group.

brolthemighty
2011-04-19, 04:07 PM
Noticing the resentment in her voice when speaking about his House's affairs Sejast raises his hands in a placating manner,"No need to worry, I too believe that the arms trade is an unpleasant one. Too indiscrement for my tastes. You never really know who's hands your product ends up in. I myself and more of a scholar than a fighter. My weapon is that of the mind, and the pen. Much more precise." Realizing that he was rambling, he takes a long draught from his wineglass,"Apologies, family politics are always a....touchy subject, you understand. Anyways, I have several questions, as well as requests. To start, was there a normal time that he would leave to meet his friends at the Expositorium, or did it seem at random? Do you know how it was that he came across this group of artists? Before this, had he ever shown any interest in something like this? As for my requests, I would like to take a look around his rooms, and see any of this artwork that you have left, preferably alone, if that's alright with you."

Sejast glances at his chrono, noting the time. Throne alive, I hope that Grendel is all right down there on his own. Then he gives a small shake of his head, What's the worst that could happen to him?

Talkkno
2011-04-19, 04:07 PM
"Did your brother keep a diary or something to that effect at home?"

Chameon
2011-04-19, 05:50 PM
Grendel slowly follows the mutants to the entrance hall, smiling to himself as he mentally orders his pets to stay out of sight. He watches the mutants for a moment, and then draws on his power in an attempt to control the leader's thoughts and actions. And then, Grendel, using their leaders' mannerisms and typical actions, yells at the other two to leave immediately, following them after Grendel is so kind as to plant a suggestion in his brain, this place no longer feels safe.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3] (22 needed, after my willpower bonus is done) Dominate
[roll4][roll5][roll6] 12 needed, after willpower.
[roll7] Intimidate order from the Mutant leader I don't know what it needs

Saldre
2011-04-19, 06:00 PM
Grendel:

Angry at the two other mutants, the leader of the pack moves towers the smaller one and grabs him by the neck.

With his free hand, he tugs on the other mutant's arm. Dragging both of them out the door, they pass by Grendel- and he proceeds to fling them outside of the mansion- all while growling and grunting loudly at them.

Chameon
2011-04-19, 06:47 PM
Grendel reaches into the warp, pulling all of the energy he can as he releases the dominate. The area flickers through temperatures, going rapidly to baumy, tropical heat, as the air fills with moisture. Smoke begins to coalesce and surround the Vermin Speaker, as millions of rats flow out of his skin. The lights throughout the rooms flicker slightly, appearing to break in locations whilst the floor and walls literally turn into swarms of insects that fly and buzz around randomly. The Vermin Speaker himself has thousands of insects leaving his flesh, identified or otherwise, of which boreworms are only a few. In the background, horrifying screams akin to the sort that were heard mere weeks ago at the Inquisitor's Research location are repeated, and the air whips around in a mockery of a minor tornado. Grendel's teeth seem oddly sharpened, and his body seems red-chitined, beneath the swarming animals, as his eyes become red once more.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6] Fearful Aura
[roll7] +10 +5 per 9 rolled
[roll8]
This is all an illusion, pro-tip. Not THAT powerful in normal stuff

Saldre
2011-04-19, 07:52 PM
Grendel:

The massive mutant leader, once a towering giant, leader of his pack- is reduced to a gibbering wreck at the sight of the swarm of bugs.

He collapses on the floor, simultaneously voiding his bowels and spewing a stream of bile and gore in a pool around him- choking on his own vomit as he attempts to scream at the horror of it at all...

But behind you; the warp's energy condenses- the swarm does not fade away, instead it seems to combine. The sound of something large and heavy dragging itself slowly rises; barely audible over the mutant's terrorized screaming, but soon- it becomes clear: the shadow looming over your shoulder, a serpent ready to strike.

You turn and see it- the swarm now fused together in a hideous parody of creation, given unholy substance by the raw energies of the warp. The humanoid shape cackles with the scuttling of a legion of insects, snapping their mandibles at you.

In its thousand eyes, you see yourself: a reflection of your ultimate fate?

It extends a hand- its arm made up of intertwined snakes- bearing their fangs at you.

"The sSswarm BeckonsSs, Join UsSs..." It hisses- and surges towards you.

Fear 3!

Chameon
2011-04-19, 08:10 PM
Immediately upon seeing the daemon befoul the art that he had made mere moments ago, Grendel shouts "Grendel created this idea, foul warpwalkers steal it? AND THEN ASK GRENDEL TO JOIN?" With that, he screeches out a keening sound, much akin to nails on a chalk board, and swings his arms in a semi-circle creating arcane runes as he moves, performing the art of Telekinetic Shield to the best of his abilities with it taking the form of a small swarm of transparent wasps surrounding his body.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4] Goal is 12 or above, every 10 points exceeded add one additional armour point.

Saldre
2011-04-19, 08:25 PM
Grendel:

The daemon surges towards you, its weight splintering the old mansion's wooden floor.

A fraction of a second later, it crashes over you like an ocean wave against a rocky cliff- you feel insects brush against you and spot them flying at the edge of your vision...

They land on your armor, trying to breach the swarm of wasps- breaking their mandibles and needs on your shields: you remain unscathed by its attack- but how long will you last?

Surrounded by a cacophony of noise, the sound of a thousand insect wings beating together in unholy unison- you hear naught but the swarm and its endless thirst for blood...

Chameon
2011-04-19, 08:32 PM
With this, Grendel opens his eyes to the swarm around him and announces "LEAVE, VILE WARP-THING, LEAVE, AND CEASE BEFOULING THE AIR" As he says this, he makes the signs of the Flaming Word, and speaks foul words beyond the ken of mortal ears, breathing out a mass of fire from the warp.

[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4] 16 goal Flaming Word, I think this'll hit most of the swarm.
[roll5] E Damage. Pen 3.

Saldre
2011-04-19, 08:43 PM
Grendel:

A burst of unnatural flame surges from the psyker's mouth and consumes the swarm of insects in a raging inferno. Soon, the floor catches fire- which quickly begins to spread across the entrance hall.

All around you, a wave of blistering heat rises, and bright orange lights burn brightly- casting horrendous shadows on the ancient walls.

But from the blast, the chattering of insects continues- and the daemon comes slithering out, wrapped in a searing blaze.

Still it attacks you, even as its form collapses and it its members turn to ash before your ash... For every member that burns away- two more seem to take its place.

Smoldering, the insects attach themselves to you- breaching the protection of your wasps, crawling in between your armor plates- you feel them stinging into your bite, tearing tiny chunks off with their serrated mandibles.

You take 13 points of rending damage with a Pen of 1.

Chameon
2011-04-19, 09:04 PM
Grendel, injured by the swarming insects yells out in pain "YOU WON'T LEAVE? THEN GRENDEL LEAVES!" With this, Grendel raises both of his arms and opens his palms, breathing out as his body vanishes slowly, the last thing to go is his grime-encrusted smile.

[roll0][roll1][roll2] Goal 11 Time Fade
[roll3]Number of rounds I leave for
[roll4]Willpower test to act immediately upon returning

Saldre
2011-04-19, 09:35 PM
Grendel:

Just as you fade into eternity, so to does the unholy swarm flicker out of existence.

The scene shifts instantly- where once there was a raging inferno and a thousand vermin intent on devouring, now there is naught but an eerie silence- punctuated by the intermittent crackling of a few flames.

Surveying the scene, you find that your impressions of the damages were vastly exaggerated: by the door, you spot a pile of disgusting waste- its odor mixing with the smell of burnt flesh, a most nauseating combination. Some floorboards where broken, here and there- as if shattered by an immense weight. Luckily, the bulk of the swarm had taken most of fire, generally sparing the entrance hall.

You are, once more, completely alone.

Alastorz
2011-04-19, 11:32 PM
Zolonov finishes his glass of wine swiftly.

''Could you tell us what kind of man your brother wa... Is?'' Zolonov corrects his mistake as fast as he can.

''As my associates stated earlier, things that seem trivial can sometimes end up being important. Rescuing him is our priority and even if some of the things you would like to say about him are embarassing or even a bit heretical, you should tell us. I assure you that the one who sent us is more dedicated to the security of your brother than he is to enforce most of the laws that govern the common folk.''

Deceive +10 TN:55 [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-20, 12:05 AM
The Group:

She ponders Sejast's question for a moment before answering.

"I couldn't say: my brother is one of the Expositorium's main contributors. He spent most of free time there." She explains. "It did seem like a complete waste."

"Its been a few months since he's developed this particular hobby." She continues, her tone reflecting her general disapproval of the activity. "Like I said, he must have met them there." She adds, as if she was speaking of a diseased rat.

Then, turning to Lenk, she addresses his question.

"Perhaps in his study; I wouldn't know about my brother's privates habits if they don't involve the finances." She responds, before turning to Sejast once more.

"You can visit it, if you'd like: I haven't set foot in the room for a few weeks, even the servants shy away from the place." She says before finally addressing Zolonov.

"My brother has nothing to hide, he's always been a quiet and responsible man." She explains.

"This new interest of his, he knows better then to..." she begins, before stopping momentarily..."reflect negatively on the family name- there's the business to consider, after all."

Alastorz
2011-04-20, 12:32 AM
When the lady is answering to him, Zolonov takes some precautions to make sure she isn't lying. He sets his Good quality Auger Arrays on and tries to monitor the modifications in her body temperature as she talks. He also looks for extern signs of a lie. (Any unusual eye movement, twitch or sweat...)

Scrutiny TN: 35 [roll0] , if failed, reroll [roll1].

brolthemighty
2011-04-20, 12:33 AM
Sejast sits thoughtfully for a few moments, then leans forward,"I can't help but notice that you've mentioned your business several times now. Has there been anything....odd....that has happened to it recently? Anything that seemed almost....unexplainable? Maybe shipments or transports that went missing? Ports being vandalized, more so than the norm?"

Saldre
2011-04-20, 12:39 AM
Zolonov (Only):

You don't need any machines to see the truth: Its as I have been telling you...

You hate to admit it, but your companion is right; there's something off about the Lady's tone, her mannerism- her general behavior.

You can't put your finger on it- its as if she wasn't very concerned about her brother's health at all- but more so worried about the business.

What was she going to say before she changed her mind?

He should have known better than to waste our fortune...

Alastorz
2011-04-20, 01:04 AM
''Excuse my directness again. You claim that your brother was a quite and responsible man, yet I can feel that he has been a burden to you lately. It's always hard to see somebody wasting our hard-earned money, even if it's a loved one.'' By the way Zolonov made the word love sounds, he clearly doesn't understand his meaning.

''How far did his foolishness go? To what point was he holding back to the family business? After all, the cold reality is that our life's achievement is often what matters the most to us.'' When he says this last words, he looks straight into her eyes.

Talkkno
2011-04-20, 01:13 AM
"You mentioned that you felt the Arbites weren't doing a proper job with the investigation, what has lead to believe this?" Lenk asks diplomatically.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-20, 09:32 AM
Anaster just settles back to watch, getting a wine refill and thinking. "Any reason the servants avoid his quarters? Or the typical reason of not wanting to mess with the master's things in his absence? Or why you would avoid them, as mistress of the manor?"

Saldre
2011-04-20, 11:51 AM
The Group, another round of questions:

"These are difficult times here in Prudenza; shipments are always going missing, ports are always being vandalized- but so than the norm? Everyday the crime rate rises..." She answers Sejast.

"He was holding back the family business by insisting we keep it here." She turns to Zolonov. "A sentimental boy; couldn't stand the idea of moving on to better things." She says, before abruptly changing the topic, her tone indicating she had no desire to continue on this line of questioning.

"It has been two weeks and Arbitrator Devlin has yet to come up with anything" She answers Lenk. "It doesn't seem as if he's trying his best.".

"A mix of complaints: from the mundane to the exaggerated- all in all, they all come out of there looking sickly. Thank the Emperor for Servitors." She finishes with Anaster. "I myself don't venture there because I disapprove of his decor. Its quite heavy on the eyes... and credit-chip...."

"Perhaps its time you saw for yourselves?" She addresses the group, and snaps her fingers towards a servitor. "Show our guests to Andreyus' study"

The servitor nods its head and rolls to the doorway, waiting for the group.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-20, 12:10 PM
"Just one last curiosity - is he your older brother or younger? And what role do each of you play in your business?"

Anaster stands, replacing his wine glass and glancing to the servitor.

Saldre
2011-04-20, 12:23 PM
The Group:

"My younger brother" She answers "We both inherited half of our parents estate; he's as involved in running it as I am."

You don't think you need a scrutiny test to imagine her tone, but feel free to throw one down if you want confirmation.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-20, 12:55 PM
He nods. "On to his rooms, then."

Scrutiny vs. TN 55: [roll0]

Fate reroll only if failure: [roll1]

Saldre
2011-04-20, 01:04 PM
Anaster (Only):

Your training with the Phaeonites had gotten you quite accustomed at detecting the ugly side of humanity; Although in Malfi, family came first, even those bonds were tenuous and superficial when they interfered with one's personal agenda.

Her previous comments on the business, combined with her second answer, reflect her opinion clearly.

The hint of resentment in her voice is more or less palpable, Lady Sarah Keetling does not approve of her parent's equal distribution of their legacy. Clearly, as the eldest of the two, she was entitled to the majority of the Estate- only she could run it effectively.

Alastorz
2011-04-20, 01:41 PM
Zolonov takes a few steps back, turns around so the lady can't see his face and pretends to light a Lho-stick. Instead, he reaches to his micro-bead and whispers quickly : ''She might have something to do with her brother's disappearance. I think she knows more, let's put more pressure on her.''

Then, he turns around again and acts like nothing happens, trying to catch his fellow acolytes eyes discreetly to know what they think about it.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-20, 01:50 PM
Anaster, knowing the mind of Malfians, meets Zononov's eyes with the slow blink of his own. He gets another glass of wine and inspects a piece of furniture near the servitor.

Talkkno
2011-04-20, 03:38 PM
"Eh to be frank, it feels were overqualified for this work, I'm sure we'll have this wrapped up soon enough." Lenk remarks as he follows the servitor.

brolthemighty
2011-04-20, 04:26 PM
While walking behind the servitor, Sejast regards his associate,"On the surface of things, I would agree with you Lenk. However, I have known our benefactor for many years, longer than most of you in fact. In all my time, he has always chosen which team to send very carefully. We were chosen for this mission for a reason. One in which, I am sure will be revealed to us soon."

As he continues down the hall, he makes sure that she is well out of earshot,"Let us see what there is to see, and why this art, as she puts it, is so abominable. Once you have all looked the room over to your satisfaction, and seen what there is to see, I will require some time to sit and meditate there on my own. It makes it easier for me to piece together all the random threads our investigations have pulled so far."

Alastorz
2011-04-20, 04:47 PM
Zolonov follows the group, lost in his thoughts. When he is out of earshot, he starts talking the acolyte secret tongue, keeping his voice down.
''Maybe we'll find something there that will confirm our doubts. It could cost us a lot to interrogate a malfian noble if we're wrong. But it could also cost us a lot if we don't do it. I just hope she didn't get any of what I said earlier. We'll know soon enough, I guess...''

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-20, 05:00 PM
"Family killing family is a recognized practice in the nobility. After all, where do you suppose Inquisitorial assassins get their training? And murder on this level is hardly an Imperial crime - it's one best left to local enforcers, not the Arbites," Anaster smiles, speaking quietly in their cell's secret language.

"Still, if she did have something to do with his disappearance, strange that she would make such a fuss to call it in to these kinds of levels - the ranking Arbites and the Inquisition, of all things! I haven't seen one shred of evidence point to her brother's disappearance at the hands of heresy, proscribed cults, xenos involvement, or the Ruinous Powers. Just a bitter older sister tired of her brother squandering their money. Maybe she had him killed, maybe he truly did just leave one night and never came back. If she did it, it would be easier by far to just blame those artists as opportunistic scum who took advantage of her brother and led him to his death. There are some real inconsistencies and strange behavior with what's happened here."

He pauses, pursing his lips. "And she definitely resents him. She feels that she should have got the lion's share of the business and the money. I'm sure her displeasure over the terms of their inheritance were only intensified when she discovered her brother was better at spending thrones than making them, and too sentimental to not pursue good business opportunities in order to hang around with some mud-blooded, vinegar-drinking fops."

Saldre
2011-04-20, 05:06 PM
Into the Study:

As you leave the room, you can't help but feel as if the Lady was watching you.

The walk to the study is long and uneventful, the mansion itself being rather large. On your way, you encounter no one, save for the leading servitor.

However, in the distance ahead (or behind you- with the echo, your not quite sure), the tapping of footsteps from around the corners, along with the occasional glimpse of moving shadows, betray the presence of patrolling servant.

Soon, the servitor stops before another large door, as white as everything else in the mansion, and bows his head to you.

"Lord Andreyus' study" his mechanical voice informs you before he proceeds to push against the doorway. Already open just a crack, it cedes with ease, revealing a large hallway completely different in feeling from the rest of the mansion.

Several paintings, of all shapes and sizes, decorate the walls. Landscapes, portraits and other models were all prevalent: it seemed as if Andreyus' was quite the collector, with broad and extensive tastes.

No sooner do you enter the gallery that you notice something strange: the same footsteps, coming from the end of the hallway...

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-20, 05:11 PM
"I never thought I'd say this, but, for the first time, I am in a situation where I actually wish Grendel was here," he mutters.

Chameon
2011-04-20, 06:19 PM
Grendel winces slightly, as he stands slowly, then states "Return to this one, Rook, Dracula." And with that, the bat and bird (presupposing they were not devoured in any format) promptly return to him, landing on his shoulders as he heads upstairs in the mansion, wincing every few steps before, halfway up the stairs, he rubs his wounds and performs the art of healer, stopping his shield, the only power he had remaining active.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] Power roll, phenomena, perils.
[roll3] Self healing. If I get a 4 or a 5 I'm healed for 4, because I cannot heal a full 5.

Talkkno
2011-04-20, 06:33 PM
"Who's there." Lenk calls out to end of the hallway.

Saldre
2011-04-20, 06:35 PM
Grendel:

You climb up of the rickety stairs to the second floor, the floorboards creaking beneath the strain of your footsteps.

All is quiet here; and much like the first floor you find yourself in a hallway that extends both to your right and left, lined with several closed doors.

One is directly ahead of you, four others are more to the right and left respectively (each two facing each other), and the last two are at the end of their respective sides.

Chameon
2011-04-20, 06:59 PM
Grendel stares at the door ways, then, shrugging, states "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe, catch a...THIS ONE" And immediately charges into the door infront of him blindly, convinced from the horror below that this one CLEARLY can't be any worse then what he's seen in the past few minutes.

Saldre
2011-04-20, 07:13 PM
Grendel:

You rush into the room, fully expecting your charge to collapse the floor- luckily, it holds and you find yourself in what appeared to be, or probably was at one point or another, a large study.

Book shelves line both wall on the sides of the doorway, their contents ravaged by the passage of time and the lack of any serious attempt at preservation. Near the end of the room, a single massive family portrait depicts a group of people, but its too dark to make out anything there. The painting is facing a large ebony desk, melding with the darkness. It is more or less the only intact piece of furniture here, as you can spot the chair that most probably once stood behind it in pieces, thrown on the floor nearby.

Chameon
2011-04-20, 08:07 PM
Grendel walks across the room, wary once more as his charge ends near the middle of the room. He grins and walks to the desk, testing each of the drawers and pulling out what papers he can find in them, telling Rook and his pet Gloomhaunt "Touch the appropriate ear if you see anything out of the ordinary." With that statement, he put whatever he found...presupposing it looked vaguely useful...into his backpack, and then moved onto the books, giving them all passing glances on the off-chance that any of the books survived the ages well. After a few minutes, if undisturbed, he left the room and moved to the first door on his left from there.

brolthemighty
2011-04-20, 08:23 PM
Sejast looks around, "Glad to see that I wasn't the only one hearing it this time. Gimme a sec," pulling out his ever-present auspex, Sejast tunes some dials using what looks like a small hand-tool that has a red case, and several little.....devices, sticking out of it. "Oh bother," stowing his odd tool, he then extends small mechadendrites from his wrist that seem to insert themselves into holes in the auspex.
Auspex:
Tech Use:[roll0] vs. TN 93
Awareness:[roll1] vs. TN 60-70ish (can't remember if auspex is +10 or +20)
"That should do it...."

Saldre
2011-04-20, 08:28 PM
Grendel (I am going to give Alastorz a chance to react to the Intruder):

Unfortunately; your quick search of the desk reveals nothing important- at least, not at first glance. Some ripped papers, a broken auto-quill... and a locked drawer.

As for the books, they all seem to have rotted: though the owners of the library had an extensive collection, it is more or useless now. Not even the titles show on the broken spines of the old volumes....

Chameon
2011-04-20, 08:48 PM
Grendel grabs the locked drawer gently tugging it one more time, thinks about it, then moves on to the previously mentioned room on his left, deciding the drawer is not worth the effort at the moment to snap it open and gather every ounce of information.

Saldre
2011-04-20, 08:52 PM
Grendel:

You step into the hallway to the left; and notice for the first time something peculiar: One of the rooms, the one immediately to your right- was completely barred. Wooden boards, tacked onto the wall, sealed it off from the remainder of the house. To your left, another door was cracked open- just a bit. Ahead of you, the last door was closed.

Alastorz
2011-04-20, 09:17 PM
As soon as he hears the sound, Zolonov gets to the door of the study, facing the hallway. He gets his Good quality Auger Arrays on, scanning for any unusual electromagnetic phenomenom or unusal source of heat.

He smiles like a madman
''Some blood would be nice, don't you think?''

Awareness+20 TN:50 [roll0] , reroll if failed [roll1]

Saldre
2011-04-20, 09:32 PM
The Auspex Users:

Save for you four, the gallery is empty: your auspex detect nobody beyond the door to the study.

However; The sub-systems are more successful: There is an electromagnetic disturbance in the actual study, perhaps it is warded?

Not to mention, the cooling systems must be malfunctioning, a drop in heat registering from the doorway ahead.

The group:

Hanging above each portrait, a small lamp casts a yellow glow that faintly illuminates the immediate area around it- splitting the gallery up into small sections of light and darkness. Despite this, there was no place to hide in the corridor.

Lenk's call remains unanswered as you approach the study. Like the previous entrance, its doors were slightly ajar.

brolthemighty
2011-04-20, 09:40 PM
"Oh Throne....this very well might hurt...," With that, Sejast opens up his Warp Senses, trying to determine if there WAS something here....just not visible to the eye.
Psyniscience:
[roll0] vs. TN 60 before modifiers

Saldre
2011-04-20, 09:47 PM
Sejast:

You open your senses to the warp, only to be swept up by a storm of energy and emotion. The warp is turbulent here, there is too much interference: you find yourself unable to read its chaotic flow...

brolthemighty
2011-04-20, 10:30 PM
Lore Check:
Looking throughout the Lore I know for anything that could cause something like that. Almost a background check. I'm not looking for specifics, but generalities. Can it happen accidentally, or would someone have to actively be working something to bring it about. (If you want me to list specific Lores let me know. First roll in case you do would be FLore(Warp.))
[roll0] vs. TN 83 reroll if failed [roll1]
Sejast sputters and closes his eyes tight, shutting down his senses. Shaking his head, he stamps his foot on the ground three times, where you hear an echo that almost sounds like peels thunder. "Well crap on toast. That explains why we were called in." He looks at each of his associates. "There's a veritable Warp Storm in there. I wasn't able to get much more than that though." He starts rubbing his temples with a grimace,"My head hurts."

Saldre
2011-04-20, 10:40 PM
Sejast:

The warp is a fickle place, constantly surging- never predictable. You can't quite say whether or not the disturbance is coming from the room, or more likely from one of your allies standing nearby (who you have noticed, at least in the cases of your cousin and Zolonov, are particularly receptive to it...).

Meaning it can happen accidentally, it can happen in places where the barrier between worlds is thin, it also can happen around people who are very receptive to the warp (like psykers). Furthermore, fluctuations can be caused by strong emotions; or, if someone is more devious- by rituals and sorcery.

All in all, your warp-reading wasn't accurate enough to determine anything conclusive, not with so many factors interfering.

Talkkno
2011-04-21, 12:26 AM
"Bloody warp, knew this was going too be too easy." Lenk mutters.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-21, 12:20 PM
"Warp disturbances?" he sighs. "Well, is it safe to go poking around in there? Or relatively safe at least? You know better than I, Cousin. Ugh, another moment where - Throne forbid! - Grendel would actually have been useful..."

He mentally checks his armaments, feeling irritatingly outclassed by his fellows in this department.

brolthemighty
2011-04-21, 04:54 PM
Weighing the odds, Sejast shrugs,"I'm honestly not sure, but the odds are in our favor. Either way Cousin, we must see what there is to see." With that, Sejast unholsters his pistol, an ornate looking Hecutor model. "Besides, if he was into the occult, then we need to find proof. Preferably the texts he was learning from." With another shrug, he advances into the study.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 05:02 PM
Grendel sighs, scratching Rook's back absentmindedly as he moves to the cracked door. He looks inside carefully, putting his eye to the border of the door and attempting to see if there will be any troubles ahead of time. His movement is stiff and tired, clearly sick of this nonsense.

[roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-21, 05:26 PM
The study:

You enter a semi-circular room, with several stacked bookshelves lining the walls. At their center, Andreyus' black desk stands in sharp contrast with the white floors of the mansion. Behind it, his chair- a leather throne; is turned: its back to you.

Its facing perhaps the most dominant feature of the room: the second of three large covered* paintings. The first, suspended from the edge of a bookshelf, covering most of the books beneath. The second, hanging over the desk- while the third, and last one, hangs on the on the wall opposite the first.
Grendel:

Peeking into the room, its rather dark: but you can make out the outline of a bed against the opposite wall and a small bedside table... besides it...

Chameon
2011-04-21, 05:37 PM
Grendel opens the door quickly, not slamming it open, but attempting to hit anything not leaning against the wall. He proceeds to walk into the room slowly if nothing interrupts the swing, looking around carefully, examining under the bed and then briefly checking if the nightstands drawers contain anything, tugging at them.

[roll0] Awareness
[roll1] Search You can skip half the post if there's a mutant in the way to get slammed into by the door

Saldre
2011-04-21, 05:47 PM
Grendel:

You abruptly open the door- and luckily find that it hits nobody, or nothing. A good look at the room reveals torn paper hanging from the walls. A closed closet to the right of the bed. You open the drawer, finding nothing in particular- left over trash from the ages. However, flipping the mattress, you do find something: ancient yellowed papers, magazines perhaps?

All in all, it seems to be a derelict bedroom, more or less in "usable" condition.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 05:52 PM
Grendel picks up the yellowed pages, dropping them in his backpack unceremoniously as he moves out of the room, checking the next room in the hallway, attempting to open the next door slightly and then moving his body to peek into the crack in visibility.

brolthemighty
2011-04-21, 05:58 PM
Sejast looks around the study,"Well then." Ignoring the paintings for the moment, he moves around the throne-like chair, with his pistol drawn. Never hurts to be cautious, he thinks as he rounds to its side.

If there is nobody and nothing in the chair then:

Moving with a purpose, he begins to carefully search the desk. "If this is where he spent his time, then there should be something of interest here," he mutters to himself.
Search:
Searching the desk, looking over documents, books, everything really. Anything that grabs my eye.
[roll0] vs. TN 25 before modifiers

Saldre
2011-04-21, 05:59 PM
Grendel:

The next room seems much larger, and much darker than the previous one. Peeking inside, you can two poles and a tattered curtain hanging from them- most probably surrounding a very large bed. To its right, you spot something moving in darkness- along with a faint reflection...

But the room is deathly quiet.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 06:11 PM
Grendel shakes his head, moving out of the way of the doorway as he slowly opens it from the right side, he activates the 'verminspeaking' power, reaching into the warp to see from his Gloomhaunts perspective as he mentally orders it to check the movement in the room, and latch onto its head if it's anything that needs to die, immediately.

[roll0] Psychic Power
[roll1] (51) Gloomhaunt awareness to detect target correctly
[roll2] (73) Gloomhaunt silent move charge.

Saldre
2011-04-21, 06:19 PM
Sejast:

You turn the chair around- luckily, its empty.

Searching the desk, you find that most of the drawers are unlocked: you pull out auto-quills and writings kits, papers and stationery, some ink... all in all, nothing of real interest.

The lower right-hand drawer though is locked: a num-pad on its side.
Grendel:

Your gloom haunt, completely capable of seeing everything in the dark, darts into the rooms.

Second, you see it: a second gloom haunt staring back at the first!

It only takes you a few seconds to realize it was only a mirror, reflecting your image and a bit of light seeping in from the corridor.

All around the room, broken dressers, chairs and other furniture litter the floor. An open closet is filled with ripped and torn closing, while next to them stands a tall, human sized mirror, cracked at the bottom.

Other then the bed, which remains concealed by the tattered curtains, the rest of the room is completely empty.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 06:22 PM
Responding to its image in the mirror, the gloomhaunt attempts to scratch its mirror image. Promptly, Grendel orders this stop, however the mirror is slightly scratched by Grendel's pet. Grendel then moves carefully to the bed, and peeks through the curtains.

Saldre
2011-04-21, 06:25 PM
Grendel:

A fetid odor rises from behind the curtain, as if something had crawled into the bed to die. Pulling it aside- you find that the bed is unmade, but otherwise empty.

On the right side, an impression: as if someone had laid there for a long, long time.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 06:35 PM
Grendel, finding little of interest (at the moment) in the room, immediately leaves, moving onto the other side of the hallway he checks the first door, cracking it open and checking for movement as per usual.

[roll0]

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-21, 06:38 PM
"How terrible gauche. Quantity over quality, it seems, spooky effects notwithstanding. Oh, I suppose I shall be the one to imperil myself so greatly by inspecting the paintings, then..."

Anaster approaches the first, looking around to see if the servitor or other servants is about. It wouldn't do to go flashing his built-in weaponry around; things like that had a bad habit of getting around, and two weeks would be insufficient to cut as many throats as he would need to if word of his augmentations spread.

Search: TN 55 [roll0]; reroll if failure: [roll1]

Awareness - any strange sounds or smells? TN 65: [roll2]

brolthemighty
2011-04-21, 07:10 PM
Finding the locked drawer, Sejast grumbles to himself, "Never easy is it. Noo....always have to be something. Well, I'm sure this is going to be trapped. Probably a bomb of some sort. Eh, one way to find out isn't there?"

Knowing how difficult this will probably be, he pulls out his combi-tool again, as well as extending his mechadendrites from his wrist. Well, here goes nothing, he thinks to himself with a slight wince.
Cracking the Lock:
Lore check:
Seeing if I recognize the type of lock, and its inherent weaknesses.
[roll0] vs. TN 83 with reroll if failed [roll1]
Tech-Use:
Crackin the sucker open
[roll2] vs. TN 93 + whatever bonus I get from Lore
Fate-Point reroll if failed [roll3]

Saldre
2011-04-21, 07:28 PM
Grendel:

A horrid stench rises from his hallway, much like the odor rising from the bed in the master bedroom.

Opening the door, there is no movement inside. In here you find four beds- one in each corner. Two closets, one on each side of the room and a chest next to each of the beds.

For some reason, this seems the source of the smell....
Anaster (Only):

You lift the first of the covers and peer beneath. You first notice a small plaque engraved with the title of the of the work:

The Golden Throne

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/TheGoldenThrone.jpg?t=1303430491

It depicts a large, humanoid figure suspended in a distorted field of color. The figure is thin, malformed- its features murky. It appears mummified, decayed...

Yet your eyes are drawn to it...

[OOC: Do you examine it further, or...]
Sejast:

You lean next to the console and with a quick twist of your hand, pull out the pad and fiddled with the cables beneath. You recognized the model: A Lector 5.6- a high grade lock, very secure: this wouldn't be easy. Luckily, you knew its secret: a small security cable lining the side of contraption.

Pulling at it, you twitch: a grave mistake, failure would mean a jolt of electricity discharged trough your body...

Luckily, you manage to detach it- and connect it to another cable, frying the circuitry. A puff of smoke rises from the pad, and the drawer opens.

Inside, you find reams of paperwork- a cursory glance reveals them to be the Keetling's ledgers.

brolthemighty
2011-04-21, 07:40 PM
"Well now, this will make for interesting reading," he remarks as he carefully puts the reams in his backpack. I'll go through all that once I'm back in our rooms and have the time, he thinks to himself. Now, let's see if there's anything else to this desk....

Sejast begins to test the desk for any type of hidden catches, drawers, or false bottoms.
Search:
[roll0] vs. TN 25 before any modifiers (I'm taking my time of course.)

Chameon
2011-04-21, 07:40 PM
Grendel moves throughout the room, slamming the door open as previously before going to the chests slowly, opening each one and rifling through it. He looks under each of the beds, attempting to find the smell, as carrion does so irritate the others in his group. He also opens the closets, rifling through them and moving the objects in to check for and attempting to find any objects as best he can.

[roll0] Search 20
[roll1] Search 20
[roll2] Search 20

Saldre
2011-04-21, 07:44 PM
Sejast:

You find nothing in particular, Andreyus' desk appears to be rather simple, though very expensive.
Grendel:

You open the chests, but find within only rotten and crumpled heaps of moth-eaten old clothes.

As for the source of the smell: you can't seem to find it- and you have looked everywhere: in the closest, underneath the bed- behind the chests...

No luck- but the smell persists, befouling the air.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 07:51 PM
Grendel smacks his face, sighing as he moves onto the next unchecked room in the hallway, checking it briefly for any intruders by attempting to crack the door open.

Saldre
2011-04-21, 07:53 PM
Grendel:

Moving out of the servant's quarters, you reach for the opposite door and open it, only to find yourself facing a set of stairs leading upwards.

brolthemighty
2011-04-21, 07:56 PM
Sejast stands up from his inspections of the desk,"Well, I've finished with the desk. Found some paperwork I'll have to sift through once back at our rooms, but that's about it. No hidden drawers or anything that I could find." Without glancing at his companions he asks,"You guys find anything?" He then glances up from the work he had done, and notices that his Cousin is looking underneath one of the paintings.

"Good idea Cousin. That way if one of them messes us up, the others won't be effected." Sidling up to one of the other paintings, Sejast pulls back the curtain far enough to see it in it's entirety.

Chameon
2011-04-21, 08:05 PM
Grendel moves on to the remaining room, checking it in the previously described manner, slightly excited about his discovery of the attic, but hiding it as best he can, he still moves with a smile.

Saldre
2011-04-21, 09:14 PM
Grendel:

You open the last door, and find pretty much the only thing left to find: a bathroom- very much in a similar state as the rest of the house.
Sejast (Only):

You pull back the curtain, taking a good look at at the painting. Beneath it, you spot a small metal plaque engraved with the title of the piece:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/HungeringDreams.jpg?t=1303437271

Hopes & Dreams

The painting depicts a blond headed woman, eyes closed, sprawled across a great, rough-hewn stone. Above her, seemingly forming from the very air, is a dark swirling mass- identity unknown...

As you gaze onto the painting, there is something very disturbing about the woman's icy expression...

Chameon
2011-04-21, 09:29 PM
Grendel nods, then continues to the attic, barely able to contain his excitement as he rushes up the stairs, he flings the door open, not even attempting to hide his interest.

brolthemighty
2011-04-21, 09:29 PM
"Well now, that is interesting. I wonder who the artist is....a disturbing image to say the least." While examining the painting further, trying to determine what it was painted with, and what other details he may be able to make out, Sejast tries to recall any information he may have about Cults tied to this sort of iconography, or heresies involving such.
Painting Checks:
Lore Check:[roll0] vs. TN 83 reroll if failed [roll1]
Scrutiny Check: Rolled in OOC 30 vs. TN 25 before modifiers

Saldre
2011-04-21, 09:48 PM
Sejast:

When it comes to cultists and heresies, you were quite the expert: unfortunately, other than the feeling that something was wrong with the painting, there was nothing either heretical or malefic about it.

It was completely devoid of any cultist iconography, it didn't seem to be concealing any hidden message- and examine it as you might; the woman's eyes remained closed. Though the cloud above her did seem more or less ominous, it remained vague and in the background- the attention drawn mostly on the woman.

All in all, the painting fills you with an ill-boding feeling- but it doesn't seem to be directly linked to any cult;

In-fact, you have never seen anything quite like it before. Though the painting itself could be described as horrendous, the quality of the work was more or less Impressive- the artist's brush gliding across the canvas with ease. The paint itself was high grade, so was the canvas: something only a noble could afford to spend for a hobby.

All in all, it was an expensive piece.

Signed on the bottom right corner, you notice the letters: JG

Talkkno
2011-04-21, 10:07 PM
"Speaking of Grendel, I'm going to see if I can reach him on the vox. Lenk remarks, as he takes out his vox caster, trying to pick up Grendel's mircobead.

"Situation report Grendel, Lenk Speaking." He says into the vox caster.

Saldre
2011-04-21, 10:10 PM
Grendel:

As you explore the bathroom; Lenk's voice blasts into your ear with a message!

Unfortunately- you doubt your microbead will be able to send a message back....

Talkkno
2011-04-21, 10:57 PM
"Too much gunk down there to get a clear signal." Lenk mutters, as he stands next to Sejast, looking at the same painting.

"Its strange alright, might have come something across like before..." Lenk remarks.

Common Lore(Underworld) +10
[roll0] to check if its this type of painting might have been is widely reproduced illicitly.

Saldre
2011-04-21, 10:59 PM
Lenk: (Only)

You pull back the curtain and take a good look at the second painting. You first notice a small metal plaque engraved with the title of the piece:

Hopes & Dreams

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/HungeringDreams.jpg?t=1303437271

The painting depicts a blond headed woman, eyes closed, sprawled across a great, rough-hewn stone. Above her, seemingly forming from the very air, is a dark swirling mass- identity unknown...

As you gaze onto the painting, there is something very disturbing about the woman's icy expression...

Though the painting is horrendous, its quality is impeccable: this painting hasn't been mass produced, its been hand-painted*.

No doubt it is unique- and worth a small fortune.

Talkkno
2011-04-21, 11:03 PM
"Certianly a one of a kind, never ran across something like this before." Lenk concludes after flicking threw his data slate.

Saldre
2011-04-22, 10:51 AM
Grendel:

You run up the stairs of the attic, without a care in the world- disregarding your own safety- unfortunately, it comes to no surprise when, halfway up, your foot lands on a rotten board and it shatters...

Agility test to jump away, if you fail- str test to grab onto the ledge. You can fate point either or even both, gaining a bonus equal to your modifier when you do so.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-22, 10:54 AM
"Hm, looks to be some kind of a rendition of a saint or the God-Emperor, over here..." he calls to his fellows.

He examines it more closely as he peers at the painting. "Oh, you found something, Sejast?"

Chameon
2011-04-22, 11:08 AM
Grendel trips, falls and quickly attempts to right his mistake.

[roll0] 30 Agility
Rerolling agility if I fail fate point. [roll1]
[roll2] 29 strength

Saldre
2011-04-22, 11:25 AM
Anaster (Only):

You begin to pick out the details of the piece- the quality of the work is undeniable. There is something wholly fascinating about it; the artist' brush gliding effortlessly across the canvas bringing it to life...

Leaning closer, you notice something else: here, a pair of eyes... there a nose... over in the corner, a mouth- open in silent scream of agony...

You make out a semblance of a face etched into the robe, then another next to it, followed by a third and a fourth: as your eyes travel to the top of the painting, it quickly becomes apparent the entire thing is made out of a thousand tortured and twisted faces- all of them staring at you...

Soon, your vision settles beneath the tattered hood- and a strange sense of familiarity compels you to look closer...

[OOC: Wp Test NOT to look beneath the Emperor's tattered hood...
Grendel:

You leap across the few remaining steps and land into the third and final floor- luckily, it holds your weight. You find yourself in a yet another hallway.

Immediately to your right, there is a closed door- a few steps ahead, another one is to your left. Further ahead, the hallway turns a corner to the right.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-22, 12:52 PM
"Augh, blood and bloddy gobbets!" Anaster tosses the covering back over the painting, one hand rubbing at his forehead. "There's something royally ****ed-up about this painting! The Emperor...maybe...but up close it's a million screaming faces. I see now why Lady Sarah hates her brother's taste, if all his favorite art is so heretically monstrous."

Chameon
2011-04-22, 01:54 PM
Grendel moves forward, reaching for the door handle. As he performs his normal 'crack open the door routine, Rook squawks loudly, he distractedly says "Yes, Rook, you can go for a meal." And with that, Rook immediately begins flying downstairs towards the meatlocker. As this happens, he slams open the door, fully anticipating something being in the room that wants to eat his face and/or smash it in.

brolthemighty
2011-04-22, 03:23 PM
"Hmmm? Oh, yes. I had found the Family ledger in the desk. I'll go through it this evening to see if anything stands out. Get a better feel for the people he was dealing with." Sejast lets the curtain fall once more, covering the painting, and turns around. "Very interesting pieces. I wonder what the third one holds....," He trails off as he walks over to the third painting, as yet untouched. Prepared for the worst, he looks under the curtain, taking in the painting.

Whiskeyjack
2011-04-22, 05:41 PM
Still muttering, Anaster goes looking for any hidden safes.

I'd like to use that good Search check from earlier if possible :smallwink:

Talkkno
2011-04-23, 01:44 AM
"Your right Anaster, these certianly off color to say the least, its doubtful that these were obtained in the regular markets, least one risk slander. Lenk replies, as he looks at the 3rd painting with Sejast

Saldre
2011-04-23, 02:00 AM
Sejast and Lenk (Only):

You peer beneath the covering of the final painting- and find something wholly different from the "Hopes & Dreams", both in color and subject, yet nonetheless marvelously painted...

Etched on a small plaque beneath, the piece's title reads:

"The Watching"

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii233/Saldre/TheWatcher.jpg?t=1303540662

It depicts a solitary building, a large manor looking over the coast. Like the previous painting, the quality of the art brings it to unnatural life- the lack of color only adding to its power.

However, you can't help but feel as if the artist's hand had slipped while making it- unlike the other painting, you are certain there is a mistake here, somewhere in this piece- something that doesn't quite belong: a detail you can't put your finger on...

Maybe if you squint, you'll be able to tell what it is?

[OOC: Perception test to notice if there is indeed a mistake or not- the more detailed your post (Which part of the picture your examining, for example), the more modifiers you get!]

Grendel's post incoming soon.

Talkkno
2011-04-23, 02:18 AM
Lenk takes a deep breath as he takes a good look at the painting. Something must be amiss he thinks, as notices the masterful interplay of light and shadow in the painting, creating an effect of dream like fluid quality, as the house, the tree, and even very sky seem to wither and burst out in a inky blackness in constant flux. Yet...all in all, it seems quite obvious whats missing to Lenk eye, as he relaxes his shoulders as the insight comes all too easily to an experienced art dealer such as himself. Half the frakking house is missing, underneath their lies a blank canvas. An rather sudden emptiness that detracts from an otherwise excellent painting.

Awareness +20 [roll0]

Saldre
2011-04-23, 11:28 AM
Grendel:

You open the door and enter a long, amply-windowed room with several chairs and couches spread out around a single large table.

There doesn't seem to be anyone else here...

Chameon
2011-04-23, 11:30 AM
Grendel opens the door and then promptly moves ahead, opening the door to his left a crack as per usual, one of the bore worms peeing out slightly into the crack, observing whatever may be in there. He himself maintains a glance as well, right hand positioned equally to his head.

Saldre
2011-04-23, 11:39 AM
Grendel:

A blast of cold air greets you when you open the door to the left.

Beyond it, you find the long and narrow walkway that surrounds the mansion. Peering outside, you spot a passage extending further ahead that wraps around one of the corners.

Standing here, you have a view of the most the dimly lit ruins that immediately surround the old manor.

Chameon
2011-04-23, 12:27 PM
Grendel closes the door and moves further along the hallway, turning the corner slowly, peeking around it. If nothing is in his way, he'd move on to opening the next door along the way.

Saldre
2011-04-23, 12:34 PM
Grendel:

You continue down the hallway and turn to the left. The rotting walls are bear, and extend all the way down another hallway.

Slowly walking across it, you spot what more-or-less appear to the final two doors in the mansion- one to the right, the other facing it to the left.

Though the left one is inconspicuous- the right one is rather ominous: a rusty padlock wrapped around a metal bar keeps the door sealed. A small, metal grating near its top is closed- but could easily be pulled aside to see into the room.

Chameon
2011-04-23, 12:50 PM
Grendel looks at the two doors, then immediately moves as stealthily as he can to open the inconspicuous doorway.

Saldre
2011-04-23, 01:04 PM
Grendel:

Behind this doorway, objects of all shapes and sizes fill this rather dark room. Sheet covered boxes and furniture tower in stacks and piles, untouched in ages. a thick layer of dust has settled over the floor; the shelves- and everything else within- The thickness of the air making it hard to breath.

Chameon
2011-04-23, 01:10 PM
Grendel nods, turns around, and uses the bar to peek into the next room, getting ready to blast something to smitherines.

Saldre
2011-04-23, 01:15 PM
Grendel:

Pushing aside the small metal grating that blocks your view, your assaulted by a foul stench from within (something you've gotten more or less accustomed too...)

Peering inside, you can see nothing in particular: faint light seeps into the room from the cracks in between the boarded windows. You can make out the faint outline of a mattress, but not much more.

You'll have to force the pad-lock open to remove the bar and gain access to the room.

Chameon
2011-04-23, 01:40 PM
Grendel shrugs, looking at the door, and puts his hand at the grating, reaching into himself for the vermin speaking power to get an eye in the room. As he does that, he mentally orders the worm to check around the room for whatever is causing that smell.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] Vermin Speaking Power, phenomena, perils.
[roll3] Woohoo, fearless worms!

Saldre
2011-04-23, 01:50 PM
Grendel:

The worm drops onto the floor with a plop and writhes about, look around the room. There is indeed a old, sagging mattress against one of the walls- along with several others, all gouged and ripped, littered across the huge room.

Slowly but surely, the room crawls across, trying to find the source of the smell- but no such luck. Though waste and strange dry blotches stain the walls, and contribute to the smell, they aren't the only cause.

Regardless, the worm is unable to find its main source...

Chameon
2011-04-23, 01:54 PM
Grendel nods and ordering his worm to leave through the window, but stay on the sill outside. He then moves over to the previous walkway, keeping his vermin speaker senses on. He continues his walk to the sill outside, letting the worm bore into his flesh as he looks out from the walkway. He then, on the worm entering his flesh, promptly turns off the power, seeing it as unnecessary.

[roll0][roll1][roll2] Power, phenomen, peril

Saldre
2011-04-23, 02:10 PM
Grendel:

You exit onto the walkway and a short walk later you meet the worm by the window.

From here, you spot something in the distance: what looks like a narrow passageway leading upwards, towards the very top of the mansion.