PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate in mobility

danzibr
2011-04-06, 07:51 AM
I was wondering what class got the best mobility. Not fast movement, but teleportation and the like.

I believe it to be something psionic but I'm not sure.

The reason I ask is because I want to make some sort of psionic rogue which is super mobile. I looked at the Psychic Rogue but they lack the right powers.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-04-06, 08:07 AM
Swordsage gets all kinds of shorter-range teleportation abilities that he can continue using through out the whole day thanks to their recharge mechanic.

The Horizon Walker can get Dimension Door as a spell-like ability at level 6 or higher that they can use as much as they want as long as they wait 1d4 rounds between uses (kinda like dragon breath <_<)

Then if we talk about casters, primarily the arcane kind, they got all the mobility you want with Greater Teleport and such...

Then there's also a reserve feat from Complete Mage that gives you a supernatural ability to use a short range teleport as a standard action as long as they have one teleportation spell of 4th (I think) level or higher prepared. This is of questionable usefulness for most classes, but it can still be neat.

Then there's the Wizard variant when you specialize in conjuration you can give up the familiar for a short-range immediate (or swift?) teleportation available X times a day. 3 + Int Modifier or 1 + int modifier I think.

Whatever you do, don't take classes that only let you be mobile once a day. Like, since we're talking about Psionics, the Elocater. Cool concept and everything, but pretty horrible as far as most of the class features are concerned.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-04-06, 08:14 AM
Also, when you say "rogue", what exactly do you mean?

Sneak attack or equivalent progression? A lot of skills, trapfinding included?
Both?

A ranger 5/ Horizon Walker 6 or more is a pretty decent and easy way to do it. You're pretty rogue-like, wearing light armor and having some rogue-centric skills like Hide, Move Silently, and even Trapfinding if you trade in Track for it (Dungeonscape variant) and you can use Dimension Door pretty much all day long while enjoying full BAB. Some other ranger variants might be helpful, too.

Of course, anything with ToB - like just a regular Swordsage - is much more powerful then the above combination. More skills, higher damage thanks to maneuvers, short range combat teleportation that actually allows you to hit people in the same round at higher levels.

Keld Denar
2011-04-06, 10:10 AM
Note, you can get the right powers on a PsyRogue. Hidden Talent at 1st level nets you Dimension Hop (CPsionic) and +2 PP. Dim Hop is a 10' swift action teleport. It only appears on the Ardent mantle for Freedom though. Luckily, with psionics, its pretty simple to mix and match powers with either Hidden Talent (for 1st level powers), or Expanded Knowledge (for every other power).

danzibr
2011-04-06, 10:11 AM
Whoaaaa thanks Chuck. Great information.

In particular, I'm thinking anything with sneak attack or sudden strike when I say rogue (in this case). The idea of incredible mobility is interesting in general, but particularly for popping in, stabbing some backs, then popping out. In particular, I'd be interested in teleportation as anything less than a standard action (which wouldn't allow the popping out, but hey).

I will certainly look up everything you mentioned.

Rebel7284
2011-04-06, 10:26 AM
Ardent 8/Swordsage 1/Telflamar Shadowlord 4/Ardent 2 with dominant ideal.

gets 8-12 teleports per round each one followed by a full attack.

ILM
2011-04-06, 10:40 AM
Then there's also a reserve feat from Complete Mage that gives you a supernatural ability to use a short range teleport as a standard action as long as they have one teleportation spell of 4th (I think) level or higher prepared. This is of questionable usefulness for most classes, but it can still be neat.
Dimensional Jaunt.

Whoaaaa thanks Chuck. Great information.

In particular, I'm thinking anything with sneak attack or sudden strike when I say rogue (in this case). The idea of incredible mobility is interesting in general, but particularly for popping in, stabbing some backs, then popping out. In particular, I'd be interested in teleportation as anything less than a standard action (which wouldn't allow the popping out, but hey).

I will certainly look up everything you mentioned.
The Dimension Jumper spell in CM lets you teleport yourself up to 30 ft as a move action, once per round (duration: 1 rd/CL). The spell itself is a swift action to cast and level 5. The Greater version lets you teleport up to 60 ft as a swift action.

Now, combine this with the Teflammar Shadowlord's Shadow Pounce, and you've got something (full attack after teleportation). All you need is to work some kind of spring attack thing that lets you get away and you're golden.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could cast both Dimension Jumper and Greater Dimension Jumper: teleport in as a move action, full attack as per Shadow Pounce, teleport out as a swift action. Debatably, you'd even still have a standard action available. Problem is the low range of Dimension Jumper (30ft means the enemy can catch up or charge).

Veyr
2011-04-06, 10:52 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, you could cast both Dimension Jumper and Greater Dimension Jumper: teleport in as a move action, full attack as per Shadow Pounce, teleport out as a swift action. Debatably, you'd even still have a standard action available. Problem is the low range of Dimension Jumper (30ft means the enemy can catch up or charge).
You're missing something crucial here: Shadowpounce does not specify 1/rnd anywhere. You get to full-attack after Greater Dimensional Jumper and then a second time after Dimensional Jumper, and you still have a Standard Action with which to cast, say, Dimension Door and get a third full attack.

Use a 9th level maneuver at-will for CL rounds at the cost of 2 spells? And still have an Immediate Action left over? Uhh... yes please.

ILM
2011-04-06, 11:06 AM
You're missing something crucial here: Shadowpounce does not specify 1/rnd anywhere. You get to full-attack after Greater Dimensional Jumper and then a second time after Dimensional Jumper, and you still have a Standard Action with which to cast, say, Dimension Door and get a third full attack.

Use a 9th level maneuver at-will for CL rounds at the cost of 2 spells? And still have an Immediate Action left over? Uhh... yes please.
Oh yes indeed :smallbiggrin:. Didn't see it that way, I was just concerned with going in, attacking, then back out to safety.

And don't Dimension Door, just use the Dimensional Jaunt feat instead, it won't use up one of your spells/day :).

How did Rebel get 8-12 teleports a round?

edit: not that getting Greater Dimensional Jumper looks pretty incompatible with Teflammar Shadowlord 4. You'd need a wand or custom item or something.

Keld Denar
2011-04-06, 12:19 PM
How did Rebel get 8-12 teleports a round?

I'm guessing it has something to do with Twin Power + Anticipatory Strike + Temporal Acceleration, possibly with a side of Scism and/or Synronicity. Psionics can ruin action economy, if you really try. When you can fabricate whole turns out of thin air, the only restriction is PP. Dominant Ideal is a pretty badass class feature as well, really amping up the potential doom by lowering the opportunity cost of expending your focus.