PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Updating my 3.5 Races

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-06, 09:43 AM
My group just switched to pathfinder and I'm trying to balance my homebrew races around Pathfinder's more powerful ones. I'll post them in a few different post just to spread it out.

Murimus:
(Moo-ree-moo)
Crunch:

+2 Dexterity, +2 Int, -2 Strength

Murimus are highly agile, but they tend to be somewhat weak. They are also inquisitive, though sometimes to a fault.

Small: As a Small creature, a Murimus gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Murimus base land speed is 20 feet.
Darkvision 60 f.t.

+2 racial bonus on Stealth and Disable Device checks.

Timid: -1 on saves vs fear affects
Murimus are rather timid, and subject to fear easily.

Musteval Ancestry: A Murimu may cast disguse self as a spell like ability twice per day. The DC is 10 + Charisma Modifier + Spell Level.
Speak with Animals: A Murimus may speak with animals as a free action as the Spell "Speak with Animals" as cast by a 3rd level Druid.

Automatic Languages: Gnome and Murimus. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Human, and Goblin

Fluff:

Appearence: Murimus look like Small Humanoid mice, with fur ranging in color in shades of white, brown, and black. They have long pink tails and able agile fingers.

The Murimus are generally a shy race, keeping to their dens in the rolling hills of temperate climates. They can, however, survive just fine in an Urban setting, though their odd appearence often confuses people unfamiliar with them. They trace their lineage back to a far removed ancestor from the outer planes who was said to have many magical and amazing powers.

Murimus are communal, with a life very centered around the family unit. Often a single family of Murimus will have two parents and many many children. They live in dens underground in hilly, grassy areas and tend toward a life of farming and subsistence living.

They tend to be very curious, especially when in a new place, and ask many questions of people they view as reliable sources of knowledge. They can often be a bit too trusting though and have a tendency to take things literally.

Religion: The Murimus practice a tradition of ancestor worship, with every family having their own traditions and practices. The culture as a whole also has some large celebrations for notable Murimus heroes as well as "The Ancestor", the legendary first Murimus.

Combat: Murimus dislike combat, due to their small physical nature, and prefer to sneak around or hide in the presence of larger enemies. They are not, however, above taking a cheap shot or two to fell an opponent who would otherwise be too large for them.

Adventuring: A sense of curiosity of the world outside the walls of their dens often sends a young Murimu out to the world in search of adventure. Because the Murimus mostly subsistence farm, any sort of drought or dryspell can send large families of Murimus seeking work and shelter in nearby cities until they can go back to farming again, often the sights and sounds of the Urban world excite and fascinate a Murimu, who will stay behind as his family returns to the farm life, in search of a whole new life of grand adventure amongst the city folk.

Murimus Names: Due to the sheer number of siblings, Murimus families will often give their kids designations, rather than names. A child may be "B" or "M" or "4". This can become very confusing for outsiders, but never seems to bother the Murimus themselves. When integrating into a larger society a Murimus will often pick a more unique name for himself and include his homeland to further distinguish himself. Thus "M" the Murimus could, upon moving to the big city, become "Marrell of Whitefield".

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-06, 09:44 AM
Accipter (Sons of Accipter)
(Ah-sip-tehr)
Crunch:

+2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution

Accipter culture is warrior-like and focused. An individual Accipter gets by on both strength and leadership. Their light frame, which allows them to fly, also makes them more susceptible to injury.
Medium: Accipter are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size
Accipter base land speed is 30 feet.
Low Light Vision
+2 racial bonus on Intimidate, Fly, and Perception Checks
Wings: See Below
Culture of Flight: Fly is always considered a class skill for Accipter.
Automatic Languages: Gnome, Accipter, and Dwarve. Bonus Languages: Strygian, Human, Kobold, and Elven.

Strygian (Sons of Strygius)
(Strih-gee-an)
Crunch:

+2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution

The study-focused culture of the Strygians gives them a broad view of the world. Their native icy homeland has made them agile and deft at navigating strong winds, but their light frames make them susceptible to injury.
Medium: Strygian are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size
Strygian base land speed is 30 feet.
Low Light Vision
+2 racial bonus on Acrobatics, Fly, and Perception Checks
Wings: See Below
Culture of Flight: Fly is always considered a class skill for Strygians.
Automatic Languages: Gnome, Strygian, and Elven. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Human, and Goblin

Fluff:

The Creation Myth:

Before Hivara had cooled her surface from the Chaos, there lived three brothers; Owl, Hawk, and Raven. They lived in a lush land full of beasts to hunt, adventures to find, and stories to be told.

Owl, the eldest brother, was wise and well versed in the fabulous adventures of the world. He painted and sculpted, he practiced strategy with Hawk, and he always sought to know more. His most prescious possession was his infinite book of tales, which he had written himself, and each night he would lull his brothers to sleep by reading from the magic tome.

Hawk, the middle brother, was strong and brave. He would go out each day and hunt food for his brothers. He was a brilliant strategist and would always defeat his brothers in wargames. His prized possession was his magic spear, which would always return when thrown and never veered from its course or splintered.

Raven, the youngest brother, was clever and well spoken. Though his brothers would often quarrel, Raven was always able to diffuse the argument with a joke or a riddle. He loved his magical mask which allowed him to act out Owl's stories or play pranks on Hawk in the forest.

One day Raven came up with a great prank. He stole both of his brother's magical artifacts while they slept and hid them, along with his, securely away. Upon waking Hawk and Owl, distraught to discover the loss of their items, and only just recovering from a great argument, immediately set to placing blame on each other. After some time Raven revealed his trick but, rather than being amused that they had been so fooled by his stealthiness, both brothers were infuriated. They lashed out at Raven and at each other, and in their haste to secure the return of their belonginges the tore the pages of the infinite book, snapped the magic spear, and cracked the delicate clay of the mask. The magical energies released blasted the three brothers back from each other and cast them out of their paradise. They fell, unconcious, through the fabric of the planes and landed on Hivara. Where their feathers scattered, tribes of their progeny sprang up.

Owl, called Strygius by his sons, fell in the frozen north.
Hawk, called Accipter by his sons, fell deep in the great volcano of the south.
Raven, called Corva by his sons, fell in the dark forests of the west. While Owl and Hawk both still sleep deep in the earth where they landed, Raven awoke upon landing and hid himself and his children away from the world, filled with shame over what he had done. The Corvans, hidden from the world and full of shame, quickly became bitter to the outside and jaded with their weeping God, and turned toward evil acts.

Wings!

Wings: Accipter and Strygians are born with wings extending from their shoulder blades. This grants them several bonuses.

Glide: Accipter and Strygians can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Accipter and Strygians glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if an Accipter and Strygians' maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. An Accipter and Strygians can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If an Accipter or Strygian becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Accipter or Strygian descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight: When an Accipter or Strygian reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). An Accipter or Strygian can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Accipter and Strygians can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Accipter and Strygians are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Accipter and Strygians can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
Improved Flight: When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Accipter and Strygians have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. An Accipter or Strygian with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the attacker must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. An Accipter or Strygian can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. If they have flight they can use the run action while flying, provided they flies in a straight line.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-06, 09:46 AM
I'll fill this in with stuff later, please feel free to comment on what's already there though.

Also, since the old posts containing these have been pruned, I'd love some commentary on the fluff as well.

Voodzik
2011-04-06, 05:48 PM
Hey! If mine eyes doth not decieve me, yonder races look somewhat underpowered, yes? Twould not more situational bonuses balance them? Good designer sir, you must adress this issue!

Ditto
2011-04-07, 09:41 AM
I think it might make more sense to have the Accipter get a +2 Cha rather than +2 Int. They get Intimidate as their skill bonus, and seem to be a proud and boastful sort of race; it also rounds out the mental stat bonuses among the three birdfolk if you give the clever Corvans a +2 Int alongside the Strygian +2 Wis.

Racial weapon familiarity, perhaps? Spear family would be obvious for Accipter, not sure about a Strygian one.

Didn't you mention Strygians get Linguistics as a class skill or some sort of bonus there? That would make sense for a storyteller more than any weapon familiarity, actually.

And... maybe a racial hatred of Murimus? As Voodzik knows, I think Murimus would be delicious to a birdfolk hunting party. :smallbiggrin:

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-07, 10:05 AM
I think it might make more sense to have the Accipter get a +2 Cha rather than +2 Int. They get Intimidate as their skill bonus, and seem to be a proud and boastful sort of race; it also rounds out the mental stat bonuses among the three birdfolk if you give the clever Corvans a +2 Int alongside the Strygian +2 Wis.

Racial weapon familiarity, perhaps? Spear family would be obvious for Accipter, not sure about a Strygian one.

Didn't you mention Strygians get Linguistics as a class skill or some sort of bonus there? That would make sense for a storyteller more than any weapon familiarity, actually.

And... maybe a racial hatred of Murimus? As Voodzik knows, I think Murimus would be delicious to a birdfolk hunting party. :smallbiggrin:

I largely worry about giving them too many things and making them overpowered, given the usefulness of Fly. Someone on the paizo boards drew up a point system for creating races and the birdbrains come out at 11 out of 10 currently (Dwarves, core, are 12 out of ten...woo!).

Moving the bonus wouldn't be bad. I stole the linguistics thing from the OGL PRD entry for "Tengu" mostly because I was rushing, but told the player that he could just keep it since it isn't hugely game breaking.

Also, I'm giving the Corvans the Linguistics ability due to Raven mimicry and their sneaky/prankster god. Unfortunately at the moment, because the fly ability is so big, I feel like the bird races feel a bit boring.

Ditto
2011-04-07, 11:12 AM
Sure, I thought the same thing. Flight is worth a lot of points. Balancing them against the other core races it looks about even.

Hm, what else would fit a wise storyteller theme... skill bonuses seem most obvious, but that's not as much fun when comparing it to a Hawkfolk weapon proficiency or a Ravenfolk mimicry.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-07, 11:20 AM
Sure, I thought the same thing. Flight is worth a lot of points. Balancing them against the other core races it looks about even.

Hm, what else would fit a wise storyteller theme... skill bonuses seem most obvious, but that's not as much fun when comparing it to a Hawkfolk weapon proficiency or a Ravenfolk mimicry.

Maybe some sort of spell-like 1/day ability? An illusion or charm person?

Ditto
2011-04-07, 01:59 PM
I think Message or Ventriolquism work well with the 'spreading the word' idea, though Ventriloquism might be too trickster-y. Comprehend languages could fit, too.