PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise for 8th and 9th Level spells for a cleric

Morbis Meh
2011-04-06, 02:28 PM
Hello playgrounders,

This weekend my DM will be setting up an arena battle (sort of like super smash bro's) so it will be 5 battles with full resting in between. My character is a cleric with levels in contemplative and RSoP. My domains are: Strength, Sun, Spell, Purification and Glory. My stat's are as follows:
Str: 18
Dex:14
Con:16
Int:15
Wis:28
Cha:24

I am a DMM persist cleric I will be persisting: Wraitstrike, Divine Power, Spell Resistance and Visage of the Deity Greater.

Now I have all of the equipment selected what I need help with are goo spells that will allow me to be versatile in the arena. Some attack, make some buff/debuff, anything that would give me an edge. Thank you!

Douglas
2011-04-06, 02:40 PM
I am a DMM persist cleric I will be persisting: Wraitstrike, Divine Power, Spell Resistance and Visage of the Deity Greater.
That's all? That's barely the tip of the iceberg for a DMM persist buff list.

Keld Denar
2011-04-06, 02:46 PM
Do you have any CL boosts? Cause Holy Word is one of the best attack spells in the game. So good, most DMs ban it. Its really not hard to get a CL of 5 points higher than your CL, which results in blinding, deafening, and paralyzation, no save. If you can get your CL up to +10, the subject will be blind, deaf, paralyzed, and dead. Cause you know, going to hell sucks bad enough as it is, going there blind, deaf, and paralyzed sounds so much worse?

Morbis Meh
2011-04-06, 05:00 PM
To answer the previous question, I can only persist 4 spells at a time (DM banned night sticks with the exception of a custom holy symbol). If there are any other spells that are better for persisting I am open to suggestions. As for the question regarding CL, I have a ring that gives me a +2 CL that's it (this character is from a past campaign and our DM didn't want us buying crazy items so if we had to have items similar to the ones in the campaign).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-06, 05:03 PM
Get Heighten Spell and DMM: Heighten. Get Earth Sense and Earth Spell from Races of Stone. Wear sandals made from stone slabs so you'll always be standing on stone thus able to use Earth Spell.

Get a Circlet of Persuasion, a Strand of Prayer Beads, and an Orange Prism Ioun Stone. Keep the Glory domain, get the Good domain,and take the feats Divine Spell Power and Domain Focus: Good in Complete Divine. Go with an Illumian with vaulkrau and the feat Enhanced Power Sigils, all from Races of Destiny.

Include four levels of Heirophant, yes that Heirophant, along with a major bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm) for three levels of Bloodline, each of which increase your caster level as well as your effective Heirophant level. Get Practiced Spellcaster. Assuming you're level 20, you'll still have 7th level spells.

Your caster level for Holy Word at level 20 should be as follows:
13th level Cleric spellcasting: 13 base.
Practiced Spellcaster: +4 = 17, no higher than character level.
Enhanced Krau: +3 = 20, no higher than character level.
Bloodline 3: +3 = 23.
Heirophant effective level 7th: +7 = 30.
Ioun Stone: +1 = 31.
Bead of Karma: +4 = 35.
Good domain: +1 = 36.
Domain Focus: +1 = 37.
DMM: Heighten to 9th level with Earth Spell: +2 = 39.
Divine Spell Power (1d20 +7 Cha, +3 circlet, +3 enhanced vaul, +2 glory): +2 to +4 = 41 to 43.

Your Holy Word spell will automatically kill any nongood creatures of 31 or fewer HD within range. The Heirophant and Bloodline portions are slightly cheesy, and you really only need a caster level of 30 to guarantee a win unless someone is using Inspire Greatness or Barghest/Redcap/Dusk Giant shenanigans.

Morbis Meh
2011-04-06, 05:09 PM
Like I mentioned earlier, this character was made already so I cannot change my feat selection, also I can only get enhanced versions of the items I had already (we were in ravenloft and got rather underwhelming items). I just want to know about spells and spells only thank you. Also, I doubt Holy Word will be affective considering he will be doing something like Super Smash Bros therefore some characters will be good aligned.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-06, 05:23 PM
I didn't type that in less than three minutes, I started before you specified that everything was already set in stone.

Spell Resistance is touch-range, and cannot be persisted.

If you can get a 3rd level Pearl of Power, you can use it to recover Anyspell then use that to prepare, cast, and persist Shield. That gives you both Shield and Wraithstrike. You can use Greater Anyspell to cast and persist Draconic Polymorph from the Draconomicon. Stormrage in the Spell Compendium is another spectacular choice, as is Holy Star from that same book.

Maybe see if you can prepare Anyspell in your 8th or 9th level domain slot, and use it to prepare a Persistent Wraithstrike which would still be considered a 2nd level spell for purposes of save DCs, Globe of Invulnerability, etc. If so, try to get a Pearl of Power of the appropriate level to do the same with Shield so you can save a few DMM: Persist uses.

Morbis Meh
2011-04-06, 06:24 PM
Holy Star seems interesting, Storm rage I was looking at already and as I mentioned already I have DMM persist so I don't need to prepare wraith strike as an 8th lvl spell. My DM is only allowing 3 buffs at the start so i don't want to waste time casting buffs. Also my DM is allowing me to persist spell resistance on myself and only myself.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-06, 07:15 PM
If it's going to be a multiple-combatant free for all, use Greater Anyspell to put Resilient Sphere on yourself at the start of combat. You can put up as many buffs as you want while everyone else fights and then dismiss it when you're ready to join in.

Nohwl
2011-04-06, 07:55 PM
are you using extend spell to get twice as many persisted spells?

Kumori
2011-04-06, 09:00 PM
are you using extend spell to get twice as many persisted spells?

My understanding is that you can't use both persist and extend on the same spell simultaneously. I could be wrong, but I think I asked that in the RAW Q&A thread a while back.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-06, 11:51 PM
You can't use the feats on the same spell, no.

But you can use a Metamagic Rod of Extend to do so.