PDA

View Full Version : [System Idea] A Simpler World (Concept check)

Welknair
2011-04-06, 09:48 PM
-Removed-

Post, what post? Move along, citizen.

Dark Kerman
2011-04-07, 10:18 AM
I LIKE IT! :D It is a very unique idea, well done.

boomwolf
2011-04-07, 07:10 PM
Well, its a fine idea for a setting, But I cant really see it as a system.

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-08, 11:12 PM
So it's like the Matrix.
THERE IS NO SPOON. :smalltongue:
I like your idea, but I'm a little curious how this would be done as a campaign. Would the players be hackers, wealthy people, or 'natives'? Maybe moderators? If the world is virtual, the only people who could actually die are the 'natives'. How would the others be challenged?

radmelon
2011-04-09, 06:01 PM
This is a really cool concept. I like the whole "VR videogame universe". It gave me a great and terrible idea though: What if the basis for the generation of the world was not a generic medieval setting, but Dwarf Fortress? I forsee a lot of fun.

flabort
2011-04-09, 07:30 PM
Once I ready the words "Make an entire world", in the third or so paragraph, my first though was "Matrix", too. But, this is very much different. The people are representations of people, made for entertainment, not actual people trapped to power the machines creating the simulation.
Those inside who are real people are there of their own free will, too, which is very different. They aren't even there to "rescue" people.

I'm interested in how the mechanics would work. This sounds like one of the systems that don't use levels. And it won't have any of the fantasy races like elves or dwarves.
Unless there's some way to get into one of the "side worlds" were the owner can manipulate anything and everything they want.

But if your going to make this a real system, better start crunching! I like the idea, think you should continue, and hope it bears fruit soon.

Manipulating sounds like the most... crunch intensive part of the system. I'd like to see how you handle that a whole bunch, too.

Amechra
2011-04-10, 12:57 AM
You know, I was musing about something similar over six months ago, but my idea leaned more towards "powerful, Tippyverse-level mages create another universe to take out frustration/entertain the masses."

So I like this and support it.

flabort
2011-04-13, 11:44 AM
sweet combat system. :smalleek:
This will remain a meat grinder from early career, all the way to "epic tier", or whatever the equivalent is. And yet, not a meat grinder, since...
Well, heroes will die, but not at the same rate as the villains.

I like this. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: and the stats/skills training system is very much to my liking. What happens, though, if you train a skill far enough to cause the higher stat in a pair to... uh, rise too far? does the paired stat rise instead, as with the original spread?

Edit 2: is there negative behavior actions?
Guy with 18 courage decides he wants to run away, does he have to make a roll to determine if he's cowardly enough to run away? Or something...?

flabort
2011-04-13, 07:49 PM
So, I'm still having trouble understanding the behavior system.
So, I have score 12 in one of the behavior stats. For simplicity, I'm going to use courage again.
I want to face cthulhu. 12 courage is not enough, so If I'm reading right, I... roll 1d10 and add the result to my score... so I roll a 7, and get 19 total. If that's sufficient, I successfully charge and engage cthulhu, and my courage would increase to 13. If, more likely, it's not enough, I go screaming and gibbering away, and... My courage score remains unchanged? Or is shifts to 11?

Say instead I want to run away from a toddler. 12 courage would be enough to go towards it, but running away is a negative action, right? And so, 12 fails. So I roll 1d10, get a 6, and subtract it for 6, right? If that lowers enough to succeed, (like if running away from a baby would be a 7), I run away like I would from cthulhu, and my score shifts to 11. But if I fail, I charge at the baby, and my score shifts to 13? or remains unchanged?

Ooh, and I know how that guy got 18 courage. rolled 2 10s and then failed to engage a foe twice :smalltongue:. Cthulhu's Boss.

Great system, I just have problems comprehending, 's all.

Welknair
2011-04-13, 11:24 PM
-Removed post-

I will be continuing this project in secret. You saw nothing.