PDA

View Full Version : 4e Custom Creature String: Voidspawn

Chaosvii7
2011-04-06, 10:44 PM
I wanted some opinions on this new breed of enemy I've created. They're called Voidspawn, summoned by Eldritch Circle Cultists(another group of enemies I've made) that revere the 15 Eldritch Lords. Voidspawn are mortal enemies of the Starborn, another race that dwells in the Great Beyond.

Both Starborn and Voidspawn create Star Counters, a special rule-based ability I've created. However, they use them differently. The Voidspawn consume the Star Counters and restore health whereas the Starborn release them into space and are blessed for it. I plan to add these into a 4e game to give it a layer of good/evil conflict. You can side with good and fight Voidspawn or lean towards evil and stop Starborn. My game is big on astrology and stars like that.

Without further ado, I'd like you to judge my Voidspawn creations. I've made 11 different Voidspawn, converted into a nifty file with some formatting for flavor:

Mediafire Download (http://www.mediafire.com/?o6elgdnf6pxadrd)

(I would post it but that would consume a ton of space and the formatting would fall apart).

I'm looking for all sorts of input and criticism on these guys. I wanna tailor these guys out so they're all nice and proper for when I unload them upon my players. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge on all of 4e like I do 3.5, so some things may be off and the format of some attacks may be wrong, but I don't plan to change that, just the actual information on the attacks and flavor. As long as I can read it, then that should be good enough.

So, any advice?

Galdor Miriel
2011-04-07, 08:23 AM
I think that the star counter mechanism is inelegant and involves a lot of bookkeeping. It also takes a standard action to heal, which is not good for the voidspawn.

Why not give them a star themed attack encounter power that they can use to heal themselves. It could recharge on a critical. You could also allow pcs to heal if they score a critical.

The blade-master was interesting, but the other lower level voidspawn strikers where all kind of the same. They would be more interesting with powers that
were more situational. Why not make an attack that recharges which infects the target with star light. The target then grants combat advantage and void spawn do an extra 2d6 damage against the target, and maybe heal. A successful hit uses up the star glow.

Good stuff though, I love how easy it is to create monsters in 4e

Chaosvii7
2011-04-07, 05:47 PM
I see what you're getting at. I have no problem working in differences between the base Voidspawn. I was trying to add a layer of uniqueness to the base three, I just can't really come up with something. The Solo I made gets a new ability every time he gets stronger, and I was thinking of doing that, but I can't possibly imagine the applications.

As for Star Counters, I felt it a fairly easy mechanic solely for the idea that they can get up to two on at a time and then rip them off in a time of need for the extra burst of health because they lack other defenses about them(most of them at least). Besides, I can't make the perfect enemy. They have to risk devouring stars or slaying people, and I feel like such a balance gives it a sense of urgency. Perhaps I can play more on the sense of urgency in the sense that the player can get more out of counters then some healing. But your idea of marking a target for the other Voidspawn is good as well. Actually, that seems more like something that the Starbleeder would do. I'll have to add that in somewhere.

Anybody have anything to say about the Void Dragon? I kind of did that one as a spur of the moment kind of thing and I wanted to know what people thought about it.