PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a +Physical stats template - Help!

Kittenwolf
2011-04-07, 12:18 AM
Hey all.
I have no idea if such a template exists, I haven't been able to find one:

I'm looking for a melee-focused template with bonuses to at least some physical ability scores (minimal penalties to mental ones), that is either LA+1 or LA+2 that I could cut-down a bit.
If it grants wings as well, that's awesome but not essential.

Mineral Warrior is out due to someone else in the party already having it, and Half-Minotaur & Feral are out due to being absurd.

*Edit*

Draconic Creature isn't really viable since I'm a Dragonwrought Kobold, and I'm already Evil :)

(Gestalt Dragonwrought Kobold Swordsage/Totemist/Incarnate should be fun :D)

Halae
2011-04-07, 12:23 AM
The Draconic template gives you 1d3 damage claws, which are useful in a pinch, and +2 to strength, Constitution, and Charisma. It also gives you the dragonblood subtpe, so you can take Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings. The feats are in Races of the dragon, the Draconic Template has been printed in both the Draconomicon and Races of the Dragon

Andion Isurand
2011-04-07, 12:25 AM
The Obah-blessed template from Dungeon Magazine 136 pg 60 is a fun one for melee charcaters.

+2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha
one extra pair of arms
multiweapon fighting bonus feat
LA +2

-- or --

+4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Cha
two extra pairs of arms
multiweapon fighting bonus feat
LA +3

----------------------------------

Then add the Arctic template (+0 LA) from Dragon Magazine 306 to get +2 Con, -2 Cha among other things.

Bakkan
2011-04-07, 12:40 AM
The Lolth-Touched template (MMIV or MMV) adds +6 Str and Con, but turns you CE and has some other qualities/drawbacks

Kittenwolf
2011-04-07, 12:51 AM
I'll update the original post :)
Draconic isn't viable for this one (due to being a Dragonwrought Kobold already), and I'm already Evil :D

I'll take a look at the other two though, thanks :)

ffone
2011-04-07, 01:43 AM
This is one of the sad things about lack of game balance - the 'good' things getting 'taken' by other players.

Ask your DM why two Mineral Warriors would never ever travel together or be found in the same area.

It's it funny how most groups of NPCs are all of a kind if not identical ("a band of duergar soldiers" etc.) - whereas the PCs are expected to be Painstakingly Diverse.

Kittenwolf
2011-04-07, 01:54 AM
This is one of the sad things about lack of game balance - the 'good' things getting 'taken' by other players.

Ask your DM why two Mineral Warriors would never ever travel together or be found in the same area.

It's it funny how most groups of NPCs are all of a kind if not identical ("a band of duergar soldiers" etc.) - whereas the PCs are expected to be Painstakingly Diverse.

That's my choice rather than the GMs :)
Just trying to make sure that we all end up bizarre and different.
Besides, I need a reasonable Wisdom and at least 10 in Cha & Int and Mineral Warrior penalises all my mental stats.

riddles
2011-04-07, 06:20 AM
If the racial hd isn't too much of a headache, how about afflicated lycanthrope?

Best bang for your buck would be riding dog (2 hd), ape (large, 4hd), dire badger (3 hd. 4 hd gets you large size if advanced)

This gives you access to warshaper, which is made of win.

Kittenwolf
2011-04-07, 07:32 AM
If the racial hd isn't too much of a headache, how about afflicated lycanthrope?

Best bang for your buck would be riding dog (2 hd), ape (large, 4hd), dire badger (3 hd. 4 hd gets you large size if advanced)

Alas that's *WAY* outside viability. That'd lose me 5+ levels :(

I think Lolth Touched is the way to go :D

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-07, 10:11 AM
How has nobody mentioned Dragonborn? +0 LA, +2 Con, and wings. Done.

Douglas
2011-04-07, 10:14 AM
How has nobody mentioned Dragonborn? +0 LA, +2 Con, and wings. Done.
Also -2 dex and lose most of your base race benefits. Probably not compatible with dragonwrought kobold.

For wings, isn't there a feat in the same book as Dragonwrought that DW kobolds can take to get wings?

Necroticplague
2011-04-07, 03:16 PM
Dragon magazine 313 has several dragon psychosises and templates to go with them. Most of them decrease wisdom (side effect of being crazy), but they are otherwise pretty good. The only two that increase physical stats (I might be wrong) are ravenous (+str - wis, must eat a creature of your size or larger, or the equivalent in smaller creaters, each day, can your breath weapon three times in a row without recharging, bite attack) and wandering (+dex -con, lose a few spells per day, cain constant 20% miss chance).

Rebel7284
2011-04-07, 03:20 PM
Dragon magazine 313 has several dragon psychosises and templates to go with them. Most of them decrease wisdom (side effect of being crazy), but they are otherwise pretty good. The only two that increase physical stats (I might be wrong) are ravenous (+str - wis, must eat a creature of your size or larger, or the equivalent in smaller creaters, each day, can your breath weapon three times in a row without recharging, bite attack) and wandering (+dex -con, lose a few spells per day, cain constant 20% miss chance).

I remember hearing they're LA -
Could be wrong though.

Cog
2011-04-07, 03:27 PM
I remember hearing they're LA -
Could be wrong though.
Indeed they are.

Necroticplague
2011-04-07, 03:36 PM
Actually, they don't have an LA listing. However, since their acquired templates, they can be gained similarly to lycanthropy and necropolitanism. Just insert it into a backstory, viola. Or, to have less argument, try acquiring them after the game starts. After all, gaining the ravenous template isn't to different from what most adventurers do anyway.

Cog
2011-04-07, 03:45 PM
Actually, they don't have an LA listing.
Right. They have no LA, i.e., they have LA -. The fact that some of them do have CR increases indicates that they would have an LA equivalent as well; they're not free.

Kittenwolf
2011-04-07, 07:10 PM
Also -2 dex and lose most of your base race benefits. Probably not compatible with dragonwrought kobold.

For wings, isn't there a feat in the same book as Dragonwrought that DW kobolds can take to get wings?

Dragonborn Kobold's stat alterations would be... -4 Str, no bonuses. Ouch :)
And Douglas is right, can't be added to a Dragonwrought Kobold

And yes, there is a feat for Wings, but it takes three feats and HD 12 to get full, unrestricted flight (Gliding only from the base feat, HD6 and a second feat gives limited flight, HD12 gives full flight), it basically works the same way that a Raptoran's natural flight does, but it costs a feat for each step :(

Cog
2011-04-07, 07:34 PM
And yes, there is a feat for Wings, but it takes three feats and HD 12 to get full, unrestricted flight (Gliding only from the base feat, HD6 and a second feat gives limited flight, HD12 gives full flight), it basically works the same way that a Raptoran's natural flight does, but it costs a feat for each step :(
It takes two feats. The 12 HD upgrade is included in the 6 HD feat.

Urpriest
2011-04-07, 07:48 PM
Right. They have no LA, i.e., they have LA -. The fact that some of them do have CR increases indicates that they would have an LA equivalent as well; they're not free.

Not exactly. Several creatures lacked a published LA, didn't have LA -, and were later granted one. Those templates may well have an LA value and be available to players, it just hasn't be published yet. You just have to wait for Dragon to get to it. Don't hold your breath.

Hirax
2011-04-07, 09:01 PM
Half vampire from Libra Mortis is LA+2. It isn't that great (+2 to str, dex, and cha, no penalties), but doesn't have anysignificant drawbacks besides the LA, and looking at what you've got already that sure would be a fun character trait to add.

I had the same inclination, but technically since he's dragonwrought his type changes to dragon, and lycanthropy's SRD entry says lycanthropes are humanoids or giants. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to request an exemption, I've never liked that rule. It's lame that some fey, monstrous humanoids, and others can't be lycanthropes.

Anyway, with DM approval, and if you're willing to stomach LA+2 and 1 RHD, a werejackal (same as a weredog for the purposes of stats, per Sandstorm) struck me as a good fit for your evil kobold. You'd get +2 wisdom and +2 natural armor, lowlight vision, scent, and iron will as a free feat in all forms, DR 5/silver, +2 str, +6 dex, and +4 con while in hybrid form. Note that since this is an acquired template, you have an easy argument to not use the animal hit die as your level 1 hit die for the purposes of determining skills. The 1 RHD and +2 LA is preferable to +3 LA at least, since the animal level at least gives you 2+int skills, +2 fort and ref, no BAB, a d8 hit die, and a level towards another feat and stat bump.

Tyger
2011-04-07, 09:16 PM
What about Winged from Savage Species? The LA+2 is a bit painful, but you get +4 to Dex and +2 to Cha in addition to the flight, and if your Dex is decent, you get great maneuverability as well.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-07, 09:19 PM
I don't have races of the dragon, but the dragonborn template is +0 level adjustment that gives you +2 con, -2 cha. I don't know what else it gives.

Cog
2011-04-07, 10:09 PM
Not exactly. Several creatures lacked a published LA, didn't have LA -, and were later granted one. Those templates may well have an LA value and be available to players, it just hasn't be published yet. You just have to wait for Dragon to get to it. Don't hold your breath.
Until it's published, it's not a rule. They could just as easily publish LA for anything that currently has LA -. That does not mean that those creatures are currently playable.

I don't have races of the dragon, but the dragonborn template is +0 level adjustment that gives you +2 con, -2 cha. I don't know what else it gives.
Already mentioned, and it's -Dex, not -Cha.

Halae
2011-04-07, 10:13 PM

The penalty is to dex rather than cha, and you can choose between a breath weapon, wings that start off with gliding and work up to full flight, or enhanced senses, like darkvision and blindsense