PDA

View Full Version : DC Adventures RPG Hero creation help

darkshade1990
2011-04-07, 01:06 AM
Ive recently joined a game of DC Adventures and I'm creating a Green lanturn type character. Ive got a general idea of what his super powers are suppose to be, but im have trouble understanding what exact powers i need to have them have the similar effects.

The race im playing generate there own energy supply within themselves so i dont use the power ring.

He can create constructs, fire energy blasts "Blasts, Lines, Arcs not just bolts" produce a force field, and generate an energy aura. The real trouble is that i dont know what else to do to make him able to use his powers in unison. For example while generating his force field he is also using his energy aura through the field so that not only is he stopping an incoming attack but hes also damaging the enemy if the blow would be physical.

Ive tried to understand how the array concept works but to no avail.

So then i looked at the green lantern/sinistro info page and figured why not copy them. When i did the power ring and array weren't the only problems i couldn't understand but the power level was also to confusing. Green lantern has a power level of 14. My character is power level 10 so i had no idea were to begin to scale the power to my ranking.

As for other aspects of this guy he is the BFG/ Gun / Nuke heavy hitter and pretty much nothing else. Most of his combat style is done at a distance but he can do close combat damage if needed.

Any Tips or advice on how to make my gun the most effective is greatly appreciated

Binks
2011-04-07, 09:43 AM
He can create constructs, fire energy blasts "Blasts, Lines, Arcs not just bolts" produce a force field, and generate an energy aura. The real trouble is that i dont know what else to do to make him able to use his powers in unison. For example while generating his force field he is also using his energy aura through the field so that not only is he stopping an incoming attack but hes also damaging the enemy if the blow would be physical.

Ive tried to understand how the array concept works but to no avail.

Arrays are actually fairly simple. Have you read the Alternate Effects extra? They're basically that, but the order doesn't matter. In this case here's how I could break down this character (as an aside I just finished building a lantern type character, actually a villain, so it's very interesting to me that I'd hop on here and see someone asking for help making one :P)

Since you want to be able to use Aura at the same time as Force Field, and presumably you want to be able to attack while using Force Field, you should put those two powers completely separate from everything else, don't give them any alternate effects or make them alternates of anything.

On the other hand the bolts/lines/arcs is a perfect power to do as an array or series of alternate effects. Array would be better if you plan to include any other powers (dazzle?), alternate if they're all going to be blasts, but that's just a preference thing, there's no gameplay difference between the two.

The question is then do you want to be able to fire energy attacks while the constructs are up? If so, then build it separately. If not, then make it part of the blasts array.

The best way to tell if a power should be in an array or not (from a mechanical standpoint, the RP standpoint is a separate issue and a lantern-type char won't have any issues there) is just to ask yourself, for any pair of powers in this array would there be a reason I would want to use both at the same time? If so, don't array them. That's why blasts make great powers to array (and strikes, you probably want to have a strike too) as you very rarely want to use two different blasts in the same round.

Here's what I would do for a power structure:

* Linked Effects (so if one is active the other is too, purely a stylistic choice personally)
** Force Field
** Energy Aura
* Array (so you can use any one of these every round)
** Blast
** Line Area Blast
** Cone Area or Shapable Blast
* Constructs (unless you're okay with them being in an array with your blasts)

So then i looked at the green lantern/sinistro info page and figured why not copy them. When i did the power ring and array weren't the only problems i couldn't understand but the power level was also to confusing. Green lantern has a power level of 14. My character is power level 10 so i had no idea were to begin to scale the power to my ranking.

There are two factors that determine PL, total bonuses and PP spent. NPCs ignore the second, but still use the first, so you're going to have to reduce stuff to make both valid.

On the bonuses side, looking at Lantern's entry, his will+fort defense is 28, divided by 2 is 14, so that's one of the things making his PL 14. Will+Fort/2 should be 10 for you, so you need to reduce that however you'd like. Toughness+Dodge/Parry is also too high for your character, toughness+dodge/2 <= 10 and toughness+parry/2 <= 10 is what you need to aim for.

Looking at attack his attack+dmg on the power ring attack = 28/2 = 14, so that's keeping his PL 14 as well. atk+dmg/2 <= 10 is what you're aiming for.

Looking at his powers I'm not sure if the 18s are going to be a problem. It doesn't look like any of them have resistance checks, and if they did it should make Lantern's PL higher than 14...so I think you're okay there but you might want to check with your GM if you don't reduce them.

None of his skills are too high level, so the only thing that wold be left to do is reduce PP spent until you're down to 150 (assuming that's the limit for you group, that's the norm for a PL 10 campaign). One thing of note for you is that GL gets a 26pp discount on account of his ring being removable, something you wouldn't have.

Hope that helps, I tried to go into some detail on everything that's making Green Lantern PL 14 (just will/fort def and atk actually, though dodge/toughness would make him PL 13 without those).

darkshade1990
2011-04-07, 02:03 PM
Thanks for help but i still have a few questions.

What is the advantage of having an array

////* Array (so you can use any one of these every round)
** Blast
** Line Area Blast
** Cone Area or Shapable Blast/////

if im understanding this right does that mean i can only use one of those skills per round so i wouldn't be able to use my constructs and fire blasts at the enemy in the same turn.

Also question about Defense stats : Do i need to put any points in them to make that specific check since it gets a bonus from my attributes

Example = say i have 3 in stamina that give me a +3 to both Fortitude and Toughness. Now say i dont put any points in either Fortitude or Toughness can i still make the a Toughness check at all?

Binks
2011-04-07, 04:43 PM
Thanks for help but i still have a few questions.

What is the advantage of having an array

if im understanding this right does that mean i can only use one of those skills per round so i wouldn't be able to use my constructs and fire blasts at the enemy in the same turn.

Also question about Defense stats : Do i need to put any points in them to make that specific check since it gets a bonus from my attributes

Arrays are basically ways to reduce the cost of a group of similar powers by limiting yourself to using 1 per round. The benefit is that the cost of the array is the cost of the most expensive power +1 for each extra power, rather than the total cost of the powers.

Yes, if constructs and your attacks are in an array you can't use them in the same round.

Yes you can make resistance checks without points, they're not skills.
*HUGE DISCLAIMER* Unless you have good reason you should get within 2-3 points of your defenses cap. Otherwise you're not going to hold up very well.

darkshade1990
2011-04-07, 05:49 PM
Thank you once more =)

The reason i asked about the defense points is that im going to take up the super power Insubstantial rank 4 which makes me immuned to everything... i hope

also would multi attack be a good thing to pick up?

Newsuperman
2011-04-09, 01:07 PM
If your going for an all attack type character i would recommend that you pick up improved critical and improved infinitive. so as to increase the chance that you can hit critical soon before the enemy can go and attack you especially if your not going to have any defense's

Also ive never played a character that has had the insubstantial power so im not sure how it works

Mutazoia
2011-04-10, 11:54 PM
Thank you once more =)

The reason i asked about the defense points is that im going to take up the super power Insubstantial rank 4 which makes me immuned to everything... i hope

also would multi attack be a good thing to pick up?

You are never immune to everything. There is always a way around Insubstantial. If you think of Insubstantial as shifting your physical self to a slightly different plane, you could still be hit if some one managed to get to the same plane you are, or zapped you with a broad spectrum energy burst that affected multiple planes at a time. Also, don't forget mental attacks....

Multi attack is always good for a combat Gumby

Which version of DC are you using btw?

Binks
2011-04-11, 09:51 AM
You are never immune to everything. There is always a way around Insubstantial. If you think of Insubstantial as shifting your physical self to a slightly different plane, you could still be hit if some one managed to get to the same plane you are, or zapped you with a broad spectrum energy burst that affected multiple planes at a time. Also, don't forget mental attacks....

Multi attack is always good for a combat Gumby

Which version of DC are you using btw?

There's more than one version of DC Adventures? And yeah, insubstantial can be gotten around (also all your attacks will need the 'affects corporeal' extra to affect others). All an attack needs to affect you is the 'affects incorporeal' extra, so all you're doing really is giving all the villains a complication.

But I can understand where you're coming from, I have a char with Regen who has terrible dodge/parry (but good everything else) because I really didn't want to spend the points on them when I can just regen away the damage. Just be aware that you're not invincible, no character is really, there's always another way to hit you.

Mutazoia
2011-04-11, 10:28 AM
There's more than one version of DC Adventures? And yeah, insubstantial can be gotten around (also all your attacks will need the 'affects corporeal' extra to affect others). All an attack needs to affect you is the 'affects incorporeal' extra, so all you're doing really is giving all the villains a complication.

But I can understand where you're coming from, I have a char with Regen who has terrible dodge/parry (but good everything else) because I really didn't want to spend the points on them when I can just regen away the damage. Just be aware that you're not invincible, no character is really, there's always another way to hit you.

Back in the day there was DC Hero's (I still have my copy).

I had a character who's only power was regen. His primary attack was to jump off a sky scraper and land on his opponent.

Fhaolan
2011-04-11, 03:45 PM
Back in the day there was DC Hero's (I still have my copy).

I had a character who's only power was regen. His primary attack was to jump off a sky scraper and land on his opponent.

[Note, not arguing against Mutazoia, just adding additional information about the different versions of DC RPGs. :smallsmile: ]

DC Heroes had three editions, 1985, 1989, and 1993, published by Mayfair Games. Mayfair Games sold the game system to Pulsar Games, who republished the game system as 'Blood of Heroes' as Mayfair/Pulsar were either unwilling or unable to continue to use the DC licensed properties.

DC Universe was published in 1999 by West End Games, which ended in 2002 .

DC Adventures is published by Green Ronin in 2010, as a part of the Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition line.

Unfortunately, these three games have only the DC settings & licence in common. The mechanics of their game systems are... difficult to compare at best. :smallsmile:

darkshade1990
2011-04-11, 03:52 PM
Im playing the second edition i guess the hand book is called DC Adventures.
Since insubstantial isnt as good defensive move as i thought it was. what do you think would be a good defensive combination for a green lantern-ish character? I think my Forcefield/ Aura Combo seems to be effective but im open to suggestions.

Mutazoia
2011-04-11, 03:57 PM
Im playing the second edition i guess the hand book is called DC Adventures.
Since insubstantial isnt as good defensive move as i thought it was. what do you think would be a good defensive combination for a green lantern-ish character? I think my Forcefield/ Aura Combo seems to be effective but im open to suggestions.

Invulnerability is good, if you can't avoid it, shrug it off...though I can't remember the exact M&M machina. I've only played M&M once and wasn't very impressed with the system (once I realized that a starting character could destroy the planet). IMHO any game system where the average Denny's menu is thicker than the rule book needs work lol.

Binks
2011-04-11, 05:07 PM
Invulnerability is good, if you can't avoid it, shrug it off...though I can't remember the exact M&M machina. I've only played M&M once and wasn't very impressed with the system (once I realized that a starting character could destroy the planet). IMHO any game system where the average Denny's menu is thicker than the rule book needs work lol.

? The DC adventures book is bigger than quite a few rulebooks, so I assume you're talking about an earlier version.

The best defense is the simplist. Spend points on dodge/parry and use force field for good toughness. Personally I would do something like:
8 parry/dodge
12 toughness (force field)
9 fortitude
11 will

Throw in an energy aura and that should make you pretty tough. If you want to go insubstantial do so, just don't sacrifice good defenses for it (could make it an alternate effect of energy aura)

Mutazoia
2011-04-11, 05:10 PM
? The DC adventures book is bigger than quite a few rulebooks, so I assume you're talking about an earlier version.

Well we just used the basic game...and the book was super thin lol

Fhaolan
2011-04-11, 06:14 PM
Well we just used the basic game...and the book was super thin lol

??? Oh! You were looking at the Quick Start stuff that was 9 pages. The full rulebook is 280-some pages. I had forgotten they had put out the Quick Start booklet.

darkshade1990
2011-04-11, 06:51 PM
12 toughness (force field)

Are you saying that instead of putting points in toughness i should put the points in force field so that it would be rank 12?

Binks
2011-04-11, 10:34 PM
Are you saying that instead of putting points in toughness i should put the points in force field so that it would be rank 12?

You can't put points into toughness. You can only get toughness from stamina, advantages (defensive roll), and powers (protection, force field, maybe enhanced trait).

So I was trying to say get your toughness up to 12 by adding enough ranks of force field to get it there, which depends on your stamina.