PDA

View Full Version : Planar Sheperd - Need Advice

Monodominant
2011-04-07, 07:15 AM
Okay so I will soon be going home for Easter and we will have time for a very very short DnD story... most likely a 1 shot extended into 2 sessions.

There will be the DM and 2 PCs and we dont get Gestalt and stuff like that...

I did ask my DM and he did allow Planar Sheperd since its a short story where we shall have fun... (Most likely we will play Return to Tomb of Horror with pumped up villains etc)

Problem is I never played a druid... so although I have heard of how broken they can become I have not experienced it... (Wizard yes, Sorceror sure, never Druid though... nor did anyone in our group ever play one in high levels).

My DM doesnt mind strange or powerfull stuff but no "aberrations" in the sense of no crazy templates or half alien half fly half dragon stuff...

So although we are limited to core races + subraces (ie - drow elf or duergar or whisper gnome BUT we dont get to do wacky tentacled monsters or stuff like Aboleths, Beholders, Minautors, Werebears and Mind flayers or anything of this style) we are not limited from prestige classes.

Similarly we dont do Psionics...

So I want to run a Druid/Planar Sheperd. I will be 17th level, 32 point buy, appropriate gold per level (via DMG) and access to Completes, PHB, DMG and MM I and II.

So could you druid masters out there offer advice? I need ideas on feats, spell selections, animal companion, what I should be turning into and off course the plane I am attached do...

A note on this last one.

ONLY use normal DnD Cosmology planes... so no Xoriat... we will be probably starting from Sigil and could hence say "hey eberron is just another place not far from here" but it wont fly... I got allowed to use him but wont be allowed to keep a plane from there...

Alleran
2011-04-07, 07:43 AM
ONLY use normal DnD Cosmology planes... so no Xoriat... we will be probably starting from Sigil and could hence say "hey eberron is just another place not far from here" but it wont fly... I got allowed to use him but wont be allowed to keep a plane from there...
That shouldn't matter. Just use the Region of Dreams (Manual of the Planes) instead.

Monodominant
2011-04-07, 07:45 AM
Yea I read about that region of dreams part... I dont like the concept... I know its pretty nifty but I am already playing something obviously broken lets not exaggerate... especially considering it is very vague "Any creature could be there" is too much to be honest...

I dont want to sound negative, I still want the advice just keep in mind that the more "normal" I appear the least annoying it will be when the full potential appears to him.

druid91
2011-04-07, 08:13 AM
Okay so I will soon be going home for Easter and we will have time for a very very short DnD story... most likely a 1 shot extended into 2 sessions.

There will be the DM and 2 PCs and we dont get Gestalt and stuff like that...

I did ask my DM and he did allow Planar Sheperd since its a short story where we shall have fun... (Most likely we will play Return to Tomb of Horror with pumped up villains etc)

Problem is I never played a druid... so although I have heard of how broken they can become I have not experienced it... (Wizard yes, Sorceror sure, never Druid though... nor did anyone in our group ever play one in high levels).

My DM doesnt mind strange or powerfull stuff but no "aberrations" in the sense of no crazy templates or half alien half fly half dragon stuff...

So although we are limited to core races + subraces (ie - drow elf or duergar or whisper gnome BUT we dont get to do wacky tentacled monsters or stuff like Aboleths, Beholders, Minautors, Werebears and Mind flayers or anything of this style) we are not limited from prestige classes.

Similarly we dont do Psionics...

So I want to run a Druid/Planar Sheperd. I will be 17th level, 32 point buy, appropriate gold per level (via DMG) and access to Completes, PHB, DMG and MM I and II.

So could you druid masters out there offer advice? I need ideas on feats, spell selections, animal companion, what I should be turning into and off course the plane I am attached do...

A note on this last one.

Just find the plane with the best time breaking potential. Or the far realms... Cause they are awesome.

As for druids in general. Druids are good for quite a few things.

First thing I'll say is put points in ride and get an animal companion with a natural fly score that is big enough to carry you.

Second, Summoning is your friend. Prepare a couple of summon elemental monoliths.

After that, Break WBL with infinite wood. Just for lols. Then donate all the money to an orphanage. Thus becoming known as the best person ever.

Then Cast fimbulwinter on the kingdoms prime farmland.

NOTE: Some of thses suggestions may cause BTTF syndrome. Otherwise known as Book to the face syndrome it is extremely painful.

Eldan
2011-04-07, 09:31 AM
As far as I'm aware, the Wheel doesn't have any planes with strange time traits, other than the timeless astral, though.

2xMachina
2011-04-07, 10:08 AM
Time trait abuse asks for a thrown book.

Using Planar Shepperd to get nice forms, and planar effects (like Plane of Fire for a pseudo fire damage aura)

Rebel7284
2011-04-07, 11:13 AM
Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/Sacred Exorcist 1/ Druid 1

* DMM persist nice druid spells on both yourself and an animal companion.
* Chose a plane with outsiders that have wish.
* Take the cloak from Complete Champion that allows you to wildshape as a swift action.
* ECS has a bunch of extra Animal Companion choices with dire animals
* As is usually the case, get as many immunities as you can. Soulfire Armour (+4) from BOED is great help.
* Elemental Weirds are fun with free action divination

edit: what's the other player playing? Inter-party synergy is nice.

SurlySeraph
2011-04-07, 06:35 PM
Time trait abuse asks for a thrown book.

Using Planar Shepperd to get nice forms, and planar effects (like Plane of Fire for a pseudo fire damage aura)

Screw the aura, Plane of Fire lets you wildshape into an Efreet. Infinite Wishes. Also consider the Ethereal Plane or a Neutral Good plane. Ethereal lets you wildshape into a Black Ethergaunt, which is like 17 free Wizard levels; it also lets you fly, and arguably gives you permanent incorporealness. Neutral Good lets you wildshape into a Solar, or a Prismatic Golem if you need to be immune to magic.

Monodominant
2011-04-08, 03:42 AM
The time abuse is out...

I guess my DM had a look at what the time thing does and asked me

"So... let say you dont concentrate at all... you get a 5 on the d10... so you have 50 rounds of timestop while an average 20 level wizard can cast timestop lets say 5 times and if he gets 4 in every dice he has 25 rounds... er... no."

I think I will go with Positive plane... we will be fighting undead in Acereraks Tombs and it fits my idea... Its by far NOT the most powerfull but maximised positive spells means alot of damage on undead so...

So what are 17 HD outsiders/magical beasts I should be looking for?

faceroll
2011-04-08, 04:23 AM
Was going to suggest Astral Plane for free quickened spells. There's the Vivacious template from Manual of the Planes, I believe, that is added to creatures from the Positive Energy Plane.