PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Walk Spell (3.5)

Tyger
2011-04-07, 11:01 AM
Shadow Walk spell for reference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm)

Can you step back and forth between the Material and the Shadow realm that this opens up for you, or is this a one step each way spell?

The spell has a duration of 1 hour / level and makes no mention of any Discharged portion, which leads me to believe that you would be able to step back and forth at will.

That said, I can also see an argument for one step into the Shadows, then one step back to the Material ending the spell.

Thoughts? RAW? Any errata that I didn't find?

bloodtide
2011-04-07, 01:44 PM
Shadow Walk spell for reference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm)

Can you step back and forth between the Material and the Shadow realm that this opens up for you, or is this a one step each way spell?

The spell has a duration of 1 hour / level and makes no mention of any Discharged portion, which leads me to believe that you would be able to step back and forth at will.

That said, I can also see an argument for one step into the Shadows, then one step back to the Material ending the spell.

Thoughts? RAW? Any errata that I didn't find?

By, RAW, no. The spell is only for long distance travel. You step into the shadow, walk, and then step out.

But even going by RAW, you can walk like ten feet, and then step back out of Shadow. so the spell can be used tactically. Once.

But no hopping in and out of shadow for 1 hour a level....

gallagher
2011-04-07, 02:27 PM
By, RAW, no. The spell is only for long distance travel. You step into the shadow, walk, and then step out.

But even going by RAW, you can walk like ten feet, and then step back out of Shadow. so the spell can be used tactically. Once.

But no hopping in and out of shadow for 1 hour a level....
interestingly enough, the spell says you move at 50 miles per hour. it gives no description that you can go slower or faster than that, though i assume one can go slower.

but at max speed of 50 mph, you are moving between 73-74 feet per second. one round is 6 seconds, meaning that you move between 438 and 444 feet per round.

i can think of no better way to abuse the jump skill than by using this spell.

Necroticplague
2011-04-07, 03:05 PM
I think the duation is just their for when you need to cover extremely long distances. After all, you move quickly, but slower than an average car. So it could still take you a while to travel, and the duration simply limits how much ground you can cover. It also has relevance when being used as a plane shift substitute, since the time it takes is measured in hours (1d4). I don't know when you wold be able to cast it, but it seems that a low level caster has a chance of not being able to shift to other planes, due not being able to wait long enough.

Tyger
2011-04-07, 05:16 PM
I think the duation is just their for when you need to cover extremely long distances. After all, you move quickly, but slower than an average car. So it could still take you a while to travel, and the duration simply limits how much ground you can cover. It also has relevance when being used as a plane shift substitute, since the time it takes is measured in hours (1d4). I don't know when you wold be able to cast it, but it seems that a low level caster has a chance of not being able to shift to other planes, due not being able to wait long enough.

Well, that's not likely an issue, as it is a Bard 5, Sorc/Wiz 6 spell - so you've got a minimum duration of 10 hours. 1d4 hours to travel to the Plane of Shadow, so likely not an issue.