PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] What value for this homebrew item?

Lys
2011-04-07, 12:18 PM
In a campaign I'm currently playing, we stumble upon a deck of many things, and we all draw the 50 000gp card. The DM then propose an item to all of us, supposed to appeal to our classes and let some player keep a part of the gold.

The bard got a kick ass instrument, giving a +5 to ALL perform, and some spell per day, and other things.
The rogue/cleric got a great dagger.
The monk got something that let him use his wisdom to attack roll Xtime/day, and other goodies.
They all use their new toys a lot :p

I'm a warlock 1/cleric 4/eldritch disciple 6. Planning to finish ED, and then 5 level of another cleric prestige class.

I got this;

You can store up to 3 levels of spell. In addition, you can cast 1/day one spell of each level of which you can cast (for the purpose of this insignia, you can count both your cleric and warlock levels).

1- Command
2- Desecrate
3- Remove curse
4- Restoration
5- Command, greater
6- Dispel magic, greater
7- Restoration, greater
8- Dimensional lock
9- Gate

I had to give a 60k gold donation to my temple for that item, which I'm told is worth more like 100-200k gold.

What do you guys think about this item? Did I got screwed or is it worth that much?

Tyger
2011-04-07, 12:31 PM
9- Gate

That is all. :) Yes, it was worth way, way more than what you paid, and far more than what the others appear to have received.

You can, once per day, cast a spell to pull an extraplanar being to you... that usually takes 1,000 XP per casting to pull off.

The Efreeti Bottle, which this can replicate, sells for 145K. And you get a bunch of other abilities as well.

You just struck gold!

What level are the characters?

EDIT: Reread your post. Your party is eleventh level and you can cast a 9th level spell, arguably one of the most powerful ones. Yes, this is worth it. And then some. It'll come into its power when you get higher level... so for now the Gate is out of reach, but when you can cast it - SHAZAAM!

Kylarra
2011-04-07, 12:33 PM
He can't gate yet. He needs 9th level spells first. That said, it's still pretty awesome.

tyckspoon
2011-04-07, 12:47 PM
Well, for a really rough estimate: A Minor Ring of Spell Storing is 18,000. A set of Pearls of Power 1-9 would be 285,000. Ad-hoc half off on the Pearls of Power for being restricted to specific and mostly not-too-powerful spells (sure, Gate is powerful, but 1 more Gate/day is not excessively more powerful than the ability to cast Gate at all), and you get a value of about 161,000.

Lys
2011-04-07, 01:00 PM
I'm a warlock 1/cleric 4/eldritch disciple 6. Planning to finish ED, and then 5 level of another cleric prestige class.

You can store up to 3 levels of spell. In addition, you can cast 1/day one spell of each level of which you can cast (for the purpose of this insignia, you can count both your cleric and warlock levels).

I'm considered a level 5 caster, with this item, so never gonna be able to cast the 4th and higher level spell :p [If my Dm accepted to count my caster level up to my HD, then at level 19 I could cast gate, but its not actually the case]

And paizo version of Gate (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/gate.html#gate) is different; cost gold, and not xp. You cant control as powerful beings.

Tyger
2011-04-07, 01:19 PM
So your ED and other cleric PrC levels don't count?

That changes a lot actually... If you are never going to access anything other than 1/day spells of third level and lower, plus the spell storing capability - that makes the item far less desirable. To the point of, if I understand you correctly that you gave up your 50K from the card draw, and paid an additional 60K to your church, a ripoff.

If it was just the 60K... well, even that is probably too high a price to pay for something you can't really use. I'd have a long talk with the DM about how most of the abilities are ones you won't ever be able to use.

Kylarra
2011-04-07, 01:21 PM
That seems odd as the first restriction is counteracted by the second. I'd get some clarification on that.

Thugorp
2011-04-07, 01:36 PM
I don't think she payed an additional 60k I think it was just 60k total.(so the 50,000 + 10,000)

I would probably agree with you that this isn't that desirable for her at this cost except one thing; this is a home-brewed item that was home-brewed by her D.M..
Her D.M. has now said that he will count her total H.D. instead of just her Cleric/Warlock H.D. when calculating her spell level for the purposes of that item.
Since he is that items creator and he is the one making the exception, it seems to me that this is essentially the same as just changing the item to let her use it's higher level effects(once she gains enough levels). I think this makes the item worth the money again.

Kyrinthic
2011-04-07, 02:31 PM

I got this;

that build, you would are at -2 cleric levels, and -4 warlock levels, so effectively level 9 cleric, and level 7 warlock, if you can count both, does that mean you are using it at level 16? and next level you can use gate? Heh.

I think the intent of that line is to say use your character level not your class level, but its pretty poorly worded.

-Kyrinthic