PDA

View Full Version : Question about Eberron Clerics:

Griffin
2011-04-07, 04:43 PM
This question surfaced last week in our DnD session, I have a Drow Cleric of Vulkor (A.k.a. the Mockery for game purposes as Secrets of Xen'Drik states), however I'm not sure how spontaneus casting works for me, in the Eberron settings, Good and Evil clerics (myself been evil) can cast all the spells on the list, regardless of alignment, unlike clerics in other settings, Eberron campaing setting book states that this replaces the rules in page 33 of the Player Handbook 3.5, so, does this also means that the rule on spontaneus casting that states "Good clerics with turn undead can swap their spells for cure spells and Clerics with rebuke undead can swap their spells for inflict spells" is also void?, meaning that even if I have rebuke I can swap my spells for cure spells instead of inflict?

McSmack
2011-04-07, 05:00 PM
The ESC doesn't state anything about a cleric's ability to spontaneously swap out for cure/inflict spells. Without a rule that specifically states otherwise, the PHB rule would still be in effect for that. However a case could easily be made that allowing an evil cleric to spontaneously convert to cure spells. This would be within the spirit of the rules and be fitting for the setting, all things considered. As long as you weren't asked to spontaneously convert to either, it probably won't be too big of an issue.

Sydonai
2011-04-08, 01:48 AM
I'd allow clerics of any alignment/deity to choose either Cure+Turn or Inflict+Rebuke, but they shouldn't be able to switch even if they change their alignment/deity later.

Kalirren
2011-04-08, 10:51 AM
I find that in general that elves in Eberron generally respect undead who match their own faiths, so I think a Drow cleric really should rebuke. You have this right. Rebuking and turning are fundamentally tied to channeling positive or negative energy, though, so if you Rebuke you also cast inflicts spontaneously. That's just part of the way planar energies work, and that hasn't been changed in Eberron at all.

If you want to cure spontaneously while rebuking, you could always take that one feat from Complete Divine that lets you do it a number of times per day equal to your Wis mod.