PDA

View Full Version : Manga Thefts in Libraries, A mystery

GoblinGilmartin
2011-04-07, 05:03 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that, at a school or public library, it is almost always volume 3 of a series that is the most likely to have been stolen? followed by number one, and then maybe volume seven? weird...

Blisstake
2011-04-07, 05:09 PM
I trust you have extensive evidence to support this claim.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-07, 05:59 PM
No. But I have gone to a book store looking for a specific manga to find that the book store has only volumes 2, 17 and 23.

Gaelbert
2011-04-07, 06:06 PM
Could it be that someone had purchased the others instead of stealing them? :smallconfused:

Haruki-kun
2011-04-07, 06:13 PM
Could it be that someone had purchased the others instead of stealing them? :smallconfused:

I usually assume so. :smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2011-04-07, 06:21 PM
I usually assume so. :smalltongue:

Ach, mixed you up with the OP.
Whenever I go to bookstores, they never have the first few volumes of a manga. They'll have a 7 and maybe a few others, but never 1 or 2.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-07, 06:25 PM
I don't like buying manga, books, or comics if I'm skipping volumes. Which is why I'm not buying Rozen Maiden anymore. I got stuck at 3 because they're so rare. It's also why I never bought the FMA manga. When it's that long, it's hard to find all of them.

Azumanga Daioh was easy. :smalltongue: (4)

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-07, 06:36 PM
I don't like buying manga, books, or comics if I'm skipping volumes. Which is why I'm not buying Rozen Maiden anymore. I got stuck at 3 because they're so rare. It's also why I never bought the FMA manga. When it's that long, it's hard to find all of them.

Weird, where I live it is usually easy to find the first volumes, however, it takes forever for later volumes.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-04-07, 07:08 PM
Whenever I want to read a new series, my library is always, without exception, missing book 1 and none of the others the first time I go looking for it, and if I ever attempt to re-read the series it'll be missing the last half or so. It's gotten to the point where I have to check every book out on the first visit and put the first book on hold if I ever want to read the series. This really ticks me off, since I can go through even a very long series in a weekend after having waited so long to get the books. When Towers of Midnight (the last Wheel of Time book) came out, I had to renew everything twice before I had all the books at once for re-reading. :smallannoyed:

thubby
2011-04-08, 01:05 AM
books early in the series would obviously be the most read. people who don't like the series wouldnt take out the rest so, theres less of a chance of them being rented/lost/bought/stolen.

books much later in the series would be less popular and thus less stocked. hence, materials in the mid range would be the easiest to find.

rakkoon
2011-04-08, 05:48 AM
I once found a bookstore that sold number 58 and 72 of a series.
I did not buy nor steal them

GoblinGilmartin
2011-04-08, 05:45 PM

I'm talking libraries, not Borders...

druid91
2011-04-08, 05:55 PM
steal from a library??!!!:smallfurious:

Where are the uncouth ruffians!! Let me at em! I'll tear em apart!Not really. But I hope I have demonstrated my feelings on this matter.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-04-08, 06:03 PM
steal from a library??!!!:smallfurious:

Where are the uncouth ruffians!! Let me at em! I'll tear em apart!Not really. But I hope I have demonstrated my feelings on this matter.

I know, it's a horrible tragedy, turning to a life of crime in order to slake your thirst for the printed word...

Burn The Mothers!!!!
heh...:smallbiggrin:jk...

littlebottom
2011-04-08, 06:27 PM

oddly, FMA is the only manga i buy. the store i buy it from (i know we're talking about libraries, but i dont go to many libraries anymore) usually has them all, occasionally yes, there will be some missing, but it tries to keep 2 or 3 of each one in stock.

i buy them in threes, since its buy 2 get third free. there has only been twice when i have gone in i havnt bought any because one of the 3 i want was missing. (im on 19 now... the smarter of you will have noticed 19 isnt divisable by 3, but the first time i bought them my friend bought 2 books and didnt want a third, so i got the first 4 in one go instead of 3)

maybe i should of thought more about what manga to buy for my first one (im kinda obsessive about haveing "complete" things, i cant have things with something missing, its just not natural) i know they sell the deathnote manga all in one box. i may buy that one day when i have £70 to drop in one go.