Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

blackfox
2011-04-14, 11:22 PM
God dammit guys

The Linker
2011-04-14, 11:28 PM
I don't remember anyone named that in those stories. :smallconfused:

But whooooo should run Portal 2 co-op with me? Shadow? :D

Maybe someone who can wait a bit, I still haven't been able to buy it... as soon as my Paypal goes through... even if it goes through tomorrow, there's a lot of pre-loading...

Neftren
2011-04-14, 11:35 PM
I bought the Magicka four pack and it is incredibly awesomes, and I will play with people from the Steams sometime.

Meh, alright. I will look into getting it for myself as an early birthday present then. It's what, $7.50 or something?

Anyone else potentially interested in a copy?

The Linker
2011-04-14, 11:41 PM
'God Dammit Guys' is a Monty Python reference? Apparently I need to watch it again.

Edit: Wait what

GHOST POST

It's bet it's like a Boo, it'll reappear if I look away

IS IT BACK YET GUYS

Worira
2011-04-15, 02:11 AM
I don't remember anyone named that in those stories. :smallconfused:

But whooooo should run Portal 2 co-op with me? Shadow? :D

Maybe someone who can wait a bit, I still haven't been able to buy it... as soon as my Paypal goes through... even if it goes through tomorrow, there's a lot of pre-loading...

Hey look a description of me

Byrnbot08
2011-04-15, 02:15 AM
Meh, alright. I will look into getting it for myself as an early birthday present then. It's what, $7.50 or something?

OOH OOH! Pick me! Pick me!

Jibar
2011-04-15, 02:37 AM
So I'm King Arthur now?
I can live with that.

Also I was out all of yesterday, which is apparently when everything happened in the ARG and I'm having trouble catching up.
There's something about Portal 2 early, tomorrow, what is it?

chiasaur11
2011-04-15, 02:41 AM
Well, if we're being silly about it, I call Sir Boss.

Good, bad? Guy with the gun.

onasuma
2011-04-15, 03:52 AM
Weapon Tweeks Ahoy!

◦Replaced the no-crit attribute with -25% damage on the following:
■The Eyelander, The Gunslinger, The Southern Hospitality, The Powerjack (also added +20% melee vulnerability)
■The Horseless Headless Horseman's Headtaker, The Ullapool Caber, The Claidheamohmor
◦Dalokohs Bar
■Removed item cool down meter and ammo count when using the Dalokohs Bar
◦Fists of Steel
■Increase deploy times 20%
■Ranged damage reduced 40% (down from 60%)
◦Loch-n-Load
■Damage increased by 10%
◦Equalizer
■Tuned high-end damage range so it's no longer possible to one-shot certain classes
■Suppress the medic call effect while active
◦Battalion’s Backup
■Reduced rage generation rate by 50%
◦Concheror
■Damage-to-health conversion increased to 35% (from 20%)
◦Mad Milk
■Heal 60% of damage done (down from 75%)
◦Sun-on-a-Stick
■Base damage lowered slightly but guarantees crits against burning players instead of mini-crits
◦Fan O’ War
■Marking someone for death now lasts 15 seconds (from 10 seconds)
◦Flaregun
■Flares always crit burning targets, regardless of range
◦Backburner
■Removed the restriction on airblast
■Ammo cost increased 150% (4 blasts at full ammo)
■Damage bonus reduced to 10% (from 15%)
◦Sydney Sleeper:
■Charge rate increased 25%

Lots of them are nice. Loving the backburner changes - there is now no excuse to be bad at pyro. What I dont like is that the powerjack is now at -25% damage. Seems totally counter productive to me. Oh and the buffed the loch-n-load. I think that might be too much, given directs from that now slaughter anything.

Worira
2011-04-15, 05:09 AM
So, is anyone interesting in getting together a new game of Borderlands? I know a few folks have got it from the sale, myself included.

P.S. I would prefer to be Lilith, with Mordecai being my second choice, then Roland. Not Brick though, because I'm singleplaying with him.

Drascin
2011-04-15, 05:26 AM

I already have it, but when you get it, I wouldn't mind playing some multi with you guys. Th game is already hilarious in single player, so it can only be more so when it's not just one guy but four spamming explosions in every direction :smalltongue:

Dispozition
2011-04-15, 05:30 AM
I would be in on some sick mad fun borderlands, although my ping would be hilarious.

Cogwheel
2011-04-15, 06:33 AM
Sorry Celesyne, having some trouble with a couple things over here. It may take until some time after the sale for you to get your copy.

Dragero
2011-04-15, 06:49 AM
THE POTATO SACK NOW INCLUDES PORTAL 2

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7852/

Can anybody who bought the sack but not portal 2 see if they have portal 2 now?

Now I realy wish I had the money for the sack! It's an awesome deal now!

Worira
2011-04-15, 06:58 AM
It's a separate thingamajigy, and it costs more. The original potato pack is still available.

Drascin
2011-04-15, 07:07 AM
THE POTATO SACK NOW INCLUDES PORTAL 2

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7852/

Can anybody who bought the sack but not portal 2 see if they have portal 2 now?

Now I realy wish I had the money for the sack! It's an awesome deal now!

It was an awesome deal before already, really. It had a lot of awesome titles for a steal - it's just, the reason I know most of those titles are awesome is because I already have them, so buying would have been silly :smalltongue:

Neftren
2011-04-15, 07:50 AM
OOH OOH! Pick me! Pick me!

Cool, I will see what I can do.

So, is anyone interesting in getting together a new game of Borderlands? I know a few folks have got it from the sale, myself included.

P.S. I would prefer to be Lilith, with Mordecai being my second choice, then Roland. Not Brick though, because I'm singleplaying with him.

I just picked it up (on Steam this time, instead of my borrowed copy) and ported my old save over. I wouldn't mind starting a new save.

You know you can have multiple characters in the same game? e.g. two Lilith's and two Mordecai's can happen online?

I'll probably play either Roland or Mordecai with you guys.

Gamerlord
2011-04-15, 08:49 AM

If you can spare the money, sure.

Neftren
2011-04-15, 08:50 AM
If you can spare the money, sure.

Aaaand it's apparently no longer on sale, when I went to buy it. :smallfurious:
Valve! Why must you confound me like this! Gragh!

Anyway, anyone here interested in a "Duke Nukem First Access Club" key? I got one with Borderlands apparently, and I don't really like Duke Nukem.

Archonic Energy
2011-04-15, 11:05 AM
http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

get playing people! Portal 2 is coming!

Gamerlord
2011-04-15, 11:29 AM
http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

get playing people! Portal 2 is coming!

Wow, Valve has pulled off an amazing marketing campaign.
Bet those ad execs aren't too pleased at the moment. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/faster-forward/post/valve-shuns-ad-agencies-releases-its-own-portal-2-advertising/2011/03/18/ABxHpcr_blog.html)

Emlyn
2011-04-15, 11:52 AM
So does anyone not have Portal because I now have my free copy.

Bayar
2011-04-15, 12:32 PM
I'm up for some Borderlands, if someone can explain how to get started with online play. That GameSpy thing...

Jibar
2011-04-15, 12:34 PM
God damn it, I'd love a computer that can actually record a game half decently.
This laptop bites big time, but I can't afford to do any kind of upgrading.

Neftren
2011-04-15, 12:44 PM
I'm up for some Borderlands, if someone can explain how to get started with online play. That GameSpy thing...

You'll need a Gamespy account first. Once you make it, then you just login in game and everything should be set. You can even have it autologin as well.

Or did I misunderstand your problem...?

Also, Jibar, what are you using to record?

The-Mage-King
2011-04-15, 12:55 PM
'God Dammit Guys' is a Monty Python reference? Apparently I need to watch it again.

Edit: Wait what

GHOST POST

It's bet it's like a Boo, it'll reappear if I look away

IS IT BACK YET GUYS

...What are you talking about? Are you feeling okay?

The Linker
2011-04-15, 01:02 PM
I will have NONE OF YOUR TRICKERY, WITCHERY.

Just wait, I'm going to get a piece of wood, and a body of water, and then club your over the head with the wood and... well, actually I don't really need the water.

blackfox
2011-04-15, 02:39 PM
Can has Borderbutts. Am probably best at Lillith but also halfway decent at Mordecai.

Jibar
2011-04-15, 02:56 PM
Also, Jibar, what are you using to record?

Fraps. Only decent program out there, but my laptop just hates it with a fiery passion.

By the by, RPS has got the GLaDOS challenge sussed apparently, so here's how it works (http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/)
So we need Potatoes, and people actually playing the game. Holy crap.

Bayar
2011-04-15, 02:58 PM
Ah, that was preety easy :smile:

Worira
2011-04-15, 03:17 PM
Cool, I will see what I can do.

I just picked it up (on Steam this time, instead of my borrowed copy) and ported my old save over. I wouldn't mind starting a new save.

You know you can have multiple characters in the same game? e.g. two Lilith's and two Mordecai's can happen online?

I'll probably play either Roland or Mordecai with you guys.

Can has Borderbutts. Am probably best at Lillith but also halfway decent at Mordecai.

OK so we have folks now.

With a possible lineup of:
Me: Lillicai
Neftren: Roland
Bayar: Brick?
BlackFox: Mordellith

Now is the time for the sharing of the Gamespy names, Worira1 in my case. Because gamespy stole worirawithouta1 from me with devious tricks.

Bayar
2011-04-15, 03:48 PM
OK so we have folks now.

Now is the time for the sharing of the Gamespy names, Worira1 in my case. Because gamespy stole worirawithouta1 from me with devious tricks.

Turned in for the night, maybe tomorrow :biggrin:

Edit: gamespy id is Drisgol.

Worira
2011-04-15, 03:49 PM
Wait, the night? What strange and foreign lands hail ye from?

Bayar
2011-04-15, 03:54 PM
Wait, the night? What strange and foreign lands hail ye from?

Romania. We got other day/night cycles around here.

Worira
2011-04-15, 03:56 PM
Hmm. Well, that might pose a problem.

Phantom123
2011-04-15, 04:11 PM
Anyone wanna join me for a Portal 2 co-op adventure around release time? ChHa regulars preferred =P

Neftren
2011-04-15, 05:33 PM
Fraps. Only decent program out there, but my laptop just hates it with a fiery passion.

By the by, RPS has got the GLaDOS challenge sussed apparently, so here's how it works (http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/)
So we need Potatoes, and people actually playing the game. Holy crap.

Try recording in half-size? Also, changing the framerate at which FRAPS records can really speed things up.

OK so we have folks now.

I think I'm 'Polytonic'. I'll go check that now.

Dragero
2011-04-15, 06:49 PM
Do you want portal 2?

Do you want it early?

THEN GO PLAY WEOTW NOW! IT'S THE GAME THAT SEEMS TO BE MAKING PORTAL 2 COME OUT THE FASTEST.

OGOGOGOGOGOO

(You don't even have to play, just have it running in the background)

Neftren
2011-04-15, 06:49 PM
Try recording in half-size? Also, changing the framerate at which FRAPS records can really speed things up.

I think I'm 'Polytonic'. I'll go check that now.

Yes, I'm Polytonic.

Also, I have no Portatol Pack games!:smallannoyed:

The Linker
2011-04-15, 06:51 PM

I know nothing helped me until I got an external hard drive, and actually started recording everything to something with hundreds of gigs of space, rather than... twenty gigs of space.

Trying to find places on my 90% full internal hard drive to record stuff is what made my recordings crawl.

Neftren
2011-04-15, 07:08 PM
I know nothing helped me until I got an external hard drive, and actually started recording everything to something with hundreds of gigs of space, rather than... twenty gigs of space.

Trying to find places on my 90% full internal hard drive to record stuff is what made my recordings crawl.

Ah, that sucks. I moved a lot of stuff to the cloud (uploaded almost all my documents to Gmail). I only keep disk images on my external now, so it's worked out nicely.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-15, 07:57 PM
Oh! My goodness! I forgot all about bad movie night!

TIME TO DO IT RIGHT NOW (http://livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-15, 08:48 PM
ChHa needs a updatin, and if bordermans doesn't work out for someone, I'd be down for picking up a slot~

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SumPokemans

blackfox
2011-04-15, 09:33 PM
Will not have regular borderbutts time until after May 14th. >.<
You may want to replace me, if we're thinking of doing it now.
Also GameSpy ID is kazulwashere.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-15, 09:46 PM
Thanks for coming, everyone! I'm glad we all had fun watching yet another fun film for the whole family! Once again, movie night's standards of quality and dignity have been maintained!

Neftren
2011-04-15, 09:49 PM
Perhaps it's time to add a new admin/moderator who can update the server?

You know, isn't there a way to auto-update the server?

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-15, 10:00 PM
Do you want portal 2?

Do you want it early?

THEN GO PLAY WEOTW NOW! IT'S THE GAME THAT SEEMS TO BE MAKING PORTAL 2 COME OUT THE FASTEST.

OGOGOGOGOGOO

(You don't even have to play, just have it running in the background)

Now everyone stop playing! Computations are complete on WEOTW! Play audio surf instead!

The Linker
2011-04-15, 10:04 PM
Why-- that's something I'm GOOD at!

So, wait, if you stop playing a game, does the number of active CPUs for that game not go down? Is 'completing' a game just reaching a set number of simultaneous players?

chiasaur11
2011-04-15, 10:09 PM
Why-- that's something I'm GOOD at!

So, wait, if you stop playing a game, does the number of active CPUs for that game not go down? Is 'completing' a game just reaching a set number of simultaneous players?

In order:

No.

No.

As far as we know, simultaneous CPUs is the rate of the rise, and the meter fills according to total time spent multiplied by total potatoes at the time of play.

The Linker
2011-04-15, 10:17 PM
Ok, so it's not literally 'the number of CPUs working on playing this game'. We're just boosting the meter through a combination of playing the game and gettin' potatoes.

I thought the first 'no' was in reference to me being good at Audiosurf for a moment. D:

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-15, 10:25 PM
I noticed on Amnesia, Alt tabing doesn't seem to work. My mouse is locked and the music keeps playing. So running it all night might be possible, running it and doing something else is not.

Edit: funny How much effort I'm putting into this considering I have not preordered portal, and will not be able to buy the game early due to lack of funds. Oh well, it's still pretty fun.

The Linker
2011-04-15, 10:36 PM
You're being a good Samaritan for the rest of us! :smallbiggrin:

That or you want as many peoples' GPAs to suffer as possible. :smallamused:

Dispozition
2011-04-15, 10:44 PM
The current completion target is Kick it, and afterwards the other smaller games. The aim is to complete as many as possible, and the larger games will take more time and people, so you do them last.

ShortOne
2011-04-16, 12:16 AM
Okay, to clarify, running games in the background DOES NOT COUNT.

The RPS article Jibbers meant to link. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/15/glados-countdown-is-almost-up/#more-57162)

Basically, getting potatoes in Audiosurf multiplies everyone's playtime of Audiosurf, and playing Audiosurf ups the bar. Same goes for every other game, too.

tldr: Play games and get potatoes! Oh, and Valve hates idlers. :smallbiggrin:

Worira
2011-04-16, 12:43 AM
I'm almost certain steam doesn't check whether game is running in the background or not while calculating time.

onasuma
2011-04-16, 12:59 AM
Have we discussed portal 2 pins yet? It exists and stuff now. Looks horrible, but it exists.

Jibar
2011-04-16, 01:26 AM
Perhaps it's time to add a new admin/moderator who can update the server?

We did.
SciriusDoomus.
And apparently nobody remembers this.

The RPS article Jibbers meant to link. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/15/glados-countdown-is-almost-up/#more-57162)

Wait, did I not...
Oh.
Thanks, Raven.
:smallredface:

I'm almost certain steam doesn't check whether game is running in the background or not while calculating time.

True, which is why it's checking key presses in-game.

Worira
2011-04-16, 01:31 AM
Is there any proof that that's actually the case?

Volatar
2011-04-16, 01:47 AM
Is there any proof that that's actually the case?

The above linked RPS article says so.

Worira
2011-04-16, 02:01 AM
Well, it says some people say so. That's not exactly proof.

Jibar
2011-04-16, 02:24 AM
And there's no real proof about how any of this works. All we got is a website and a vague command to play games along with a potato monitor.

For all we know, the numbers have no effect on the release at all and Valve are just trolling us.

Worira
2011-04-16, 02:27 AM
Eh, in any case, I'm still leaving Audiosurf up in the background, and I'd encourage others to do the same with it or other potato sack games.

Bayar
2011-04-16, 04:31 AM
True, which is why it's checking key presses in-game.

Good thing some games can run in windowed mode, so you can just click elsewhere to let it run in ht e background.

Neftren
2011-04-16, 08:59 AM
We did.
SciriusDoomus.
And apparently nobody remembers this.

Has this solved the updating problem? From what I'm reading... no. So you peeps should add another. :smalltongue:

RPharazon
2011-04-16, 09:00 AM
Just a handy website to keep track of the progress in numerical values. (http://hasportal2launchedyet.com/)

It used to have an extrapolation ETA, and last I checked the game was going to release about 17 hours early. Since, obviously, it really varies with the player wake-sleep cycles, they just moved it to the Glados@Home countdown, which apparently also compensates, and gives us a release that's an hour early.

I don't think Valve wanted us to play it today or Sunday...

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-16, 10:03 AM
So, for next week's movie (which I promise will be on time and everything guys), I give you two choices.

First, I have The Spirit. The Spirit is a superhero movie a la Iron Man, Etc, only it's a lot more lighthearted. Maybe just a smidgen of Black Dynamite, or even Princess Bride sort of humor in there. Fairly cheesy, but hey, it has Samuel L Jackson, what did you expect? I liked this movie.

Second, I have the Big Lebowski. It's a strange movie. I'm not sure how to describe it. It has a cult following. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's gotten all over pop culture. Oh, speaking of all over pop culture, we should watch Casablanca some time. I love that movie. Hey wait, I'm still in the description paragraph

Whoops! That was embarrassing. Anyway, make your choice.

dromer
2011-04-16, 10:15 AM
Second, I have the Big Lebowski. It's a strange movie. I'm not sure how to describe it.

F-bombs. That is all.

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-16, 10:35 AM
I vote The Spirit, but only because I've seen the Big Lebowski a lot. A lot.

Fawkes
2011-04-16, 11:13 AM
The Spirit is much easier to make fun of.

The Big Lebowski is a fantastic movie, but proper viewing of it requires incessant quoting, which I know the ZMF guys hate.

ShortOne
2011-04-16, 11:17 AM
More information about how the progress bars work. (http://pastebin.com/8wj0bq3q)

Worira
2011-04-16, 11:29 AM
So... They're discouraging sales of the games, effectively.

Thormag
2011-04-16, 12:11 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/106/b/0/team_fortress_2_by_thormag-d3e4fdx.png

I wonder if I'm posting this on the right thread (besides the showcase in the arts subforum) :smallbiggrin:

Jahkaivah
2011-04-16, 12:23 PM

Depends on whether it's current sales or sold copies at the start of this.

I don't think it will matter though, loads of people would have brought them regardless.

Volatar
2011-04-16, 12:34 PM

I am pretty sure it was the number of sales before this started. Easier to program it that way.

Bayar
2011-04-16, 01:46 PM
Is anyone interested in playing Borderlands now or close to now ?

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-16, 02:32 PM
Time to play AAAAAAA!

The-Mage-King
2011-04-16, 02:33 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/106/b/0/team_fortress_2_by_thormag-d3e4fdx.png

I wonder if I'm posting this on the right thread (besides the showcase in the arts subforum) :smallbiggrin:
There's a big mistake in that.

The spy should be BLU, and should have a spy mask on.

mightymonarch
2011-04-16, 03:23 PM
There's a big mistake in that.

The spy should be BLU, and should have a spy mask on.

No, that's right. Everyone is RED.
http://www.destructoid.com/elephant//ul/17729-550x-generaltips.jpg

The-Mage-King
2011-04-16, 03:33 PM
No, that's right. Everyone is RED.
http://www.destructoid.com/elephant//ul/17729-550x-generaltips.jpg

OH! You're RED. Since I'm BLU, our spy shows up fine to me. Sorry.

Of course, this (http://www.gossipgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/20d48.jpg) is what our team looks like to you...

EDIT: And an appropriate pic.

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-spy-tf2spice.jpg

AlterForm
2011-04-16, 05:52 PM
Bought the Potato Pack. Have extra copies of Audiosurf and Killing Floor. Anyone want either game?

Celesyne
2011-04-16, 06:05 PM
I would greatly appreciate Killing floor, already have audiosurf. :smallbiggrin:

Penguinizer
2011-04-16, 06:06 PM
I'd also really like Killing Floor. I don't think I can really give much in return though. You can have some WoW and SC2 guest passes. It's all I've got. :smallfrown:

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-16, 06:42 PM
I'd love audiosurf, add me and we'll bargain~

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SumPokemans

Silverraptor
2011-04-16, 07:50 PM
Anyone have an extra copy of Audio surf lying around? Its the only game that seems interesting to me.

RPharazon
2011-04-16, 09:27 PM
Is this begging time?

I'd love any game other than Audiosurf. I have played Audiosurf for far too long.
I can give you a free copy of Portal in return.

Silverraptor
2011-04-16, 09:39 PM
Is this begging time?

I'd love any game other than Audiosurf. I have played Audiosurf for far too long.
I can give you a free copy of Portal in return.

I have portal. I'm looking for a spare copy of audiosurf.

Edit: Thank you, whoever sent it to me. I think it was Chiasaur. I hope I'm right...>.>

Phantom123
2011-04-16, 09:58 PM
Bought the Potato Pack. Have extra copies of Audiosurf and Killing Floor. Anyone want either game?

Killing Floor, if you don't mind; my L4D2 hasn't worked in ages, and I desperately want it. Audiosurf would be nice too, being able to play my own written compositions, but I just want KF if I had to pick one :P

Volatar
2011-04-17, 06:54 AM
So my neighborhood got hit by a tornado. Lots of damage to everyone. Finally got power back this morning (though when you see the power lines you will be as surprised as me that it is up so soon). I'll post more details and some pictures later.

Edit: I live in the northern part of Raleigh, NC

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 07:41 AM
So my neighborhood got hit by a tornado. Lots of damage to everyone. Finally got power back this morning (though when you see the power lines you will be as surprised as me that it is up so soon). I'll post more details and some pictures later.

Wow! I'm glad to hear you got through okay.

I'll also be interested to see whether discussion actually moves to the tornado, or if it continues to follow Portal 2.

HUMAN EMPATHY VS VIDEO GAMES
FORCE OF NATURE VS FORCE OF GLADOS

GO GO GO

Gamerlord
2011-04-17, 08:08 AM
Wow! I'm glad to hear you got through okay.

I'll also be interested to see whether discussion actually moves to the tornado, or if it continues to follow Portal 2.

HUMAN EMPATHY VS VIDEO GAMES
FORCE OF NATURE VS FORCE OF GLADOS

GO GO GO

I bet on the video games.
Anyway, glad to know you are okay Volater.

Cogwheel
2011-04-17, 08:56 AM

Wow, that sounds pretty terrible. Glad you're okay, though. I know how the whole natural disaster thing is, though I admit I've never been through a tornado before.

I know what you mean about being surprised by the power, I'm often rather shocked by how quickly it comes back. Thought that was mostly a Japan thing, but I guess not.

Anyway, good to know you're not hurt, thanks for passing that on.

Phase
2011-04-17, 09:29 AM
Yeah yeah, tornado tornado, whatever.

So apparently when we have enough total potatoes, the CPUs all go into overdrive. That should be something.

(Seriously Volatar, glad to hear you're alright.)

ShortOne
2011-04-17, 09:30 AM

I'm glad you're okay. Downed power lines are minor, in the grand scheme of things.

Cogwheel
2011-04-17, 09:34 AM
I'm glad you're okay. Downed power lines are minor, in the grand scheme of things.

How do you know so much about grand schemes? Do you have one? Should I be worried?

Also, Celesyne: Magicka-buying funds acquired. Let me know what your Steam name is and I'll add you so I can gift the game.

Dragero
2011-04-17, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, remeber how annoying some of the potatoes are to get? Want an easy one?

Join this group and you get a free potato! We need all the taters we can get!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nelipot

RPharazon
2011-04-17, 10:13 AM

North Carolina, eh? So that explains your accent...

Glad to hear you made it through alright. How was it like, other than crap-your-pants terrifying?

I've seen the effects of tornados (reasonably) up close, had a flight or two cancelled due to funnel clouds, but I haven't actually talked to anyone who's survived a near-run thing.

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-17, 11:06 AM
Woah, that sounds scary...glad to hear that you're fine. How large of a scale was it on?

tarbrush
2011-04-17, 12:07 PM
So, could someone give me an idiots guide to this whole potato thing? I'm loosely aware that more potatoes = faster Portal 2, but beyond that I'm lost.

Dogmantra
2011-04-17, 12:09 PM
but beyond that I'm lost.

Don't worry, it took me forever to realise Potato was Portal Two.

dromer
2011-04-17, 12:43 PM
Don't worry, it took me forever to realise Potato was Portal Two.

Also IIRC; GlaDOS is using 'bio-chemical' energy; which implies she's using a bunch of potato clocks to boot herself up.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 01:05 PM
Of course, RWL, if pronounced, sounds like "Arl"

Arl is a rank of nobility in Dragon Age, and dragon in age is made by Bioware

Bioware is, of course, another pun on hardware and software. You think you know where this is going, but Valve is tricky, right? So logically, it's going somewhere unexpected.

Silverware.

Silver, like what kills werewolves. Werewolves, who transform every full moon. The moon, where Valve's secret moon base is. Valve, the company who is making Portal Two.

But that isn't the full picture, is it? Valve never gives us the full picture. So we've got to take something away.

Remove a few letters from Portal Two
Portal Two
Po ta T o

Potatos, just like in the ARG. But what about those missing letters, RWL?

Bioware is, of course, another pun on hardware and software. You think you know where this is going, but Valve is tricky, right? So logically, it's going somewhere unexpected.

Silverware.

Silver, like what kills werewolves. Werewolves, who transform every full moon. The moon, where Valve's secret moon base is. Valve, the company who is making Portal Two.

But that isn't the full picture, is it? Valve never gives us the full picture. So we've got to take something away.

Portal Two
Po ta T o

Fawkes
2011-04-17, 02:18 PM
I think Shadow broke.

mightymonarch
2011-04-17, 02:27 PM

Silverware.

Portal Two
Po ta T o

Silverware.

Portal Two
Po ta T o

Anaconda Malt Liquor gives you little...... Richard?

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-17, 02:33 PM
I think Shadow broke.

I sure as hell just did...

Gamerlord
2011-04-17, 02:43 PM

Silverware.

Portal Two
Po ta T o

Silverware.

Portal Two
Po ta T o

I think he found the hidden stash.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-17, 02:46 PM

As usual, the Doc is volumes ahead of the rest of GITP.

Cubic Volume

chiasaur11
2011-04-17, 02:47 PM

Uh-oh.

(I have Black Dynamite ten feet away. I need to watch the whole thing soon.)

Volatar
2011-04-17, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

North Carolina, eh? So that explains your accent...

Not really. I picked up the majority of my accent in my younger years in Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. I have been picking up some southern things though.

Glad to hear you made it through alright. How was it like, other than crap-your-pants terrifying?

Honestly it wasn't that terrifying since you didn't had TIME to be scared. After the power went out I went downstairs and just watched the storm for a minute before the wind suddenly picked up so much that I couldnt see the backyard, and the house started groaning. We started making our way to the closet underneath the stairs, but I still didn't think it was a tornado.

Then my ears popped. That's when I knew.

30 seconds later it was over and we emerged from the closet.

Woah, that sounds scary...glad to hear that you're fine. How large of a scale was it on?

Pretty darn large. My house came out ok, but in a distance measurable by yards theres this one house that is just GONE. Theres also at least 3 or 4 more houses that need to be demolished, and there are so many roofs with gaping holes or trees through them. There isnt an intact fence standing anywhere around here. And that's just my neighborhood, the same torado went through downtown before hitting us. The news says that it was an EF2 or EF3, not sure yet.

And that's just the Raleigh tornado. There were hundreds of tornados from gut storm. Crazy stuff man.

Been out all day running around the neighborhood with a group from my church chainsawing all the downed trees and hauling the wood to he curb. I am exausted.

Keep playing those potato sack games! I want to see Portal 2 released early, even though I haven't touched my computer in over a day and probably won't for a while.

ShortOne
2011-04-17, 06:12 PM
So, could someone give me an idiots guide to this whole potato thing? I'm loosely aware that more potatoes = faster Portal 2, but beyond that I'm lost.

If you follow this guide, (http://valvearg.com/wiki/Potato_Sources) you'll be very helpful. I suspect the magical overdrive number is 500,000, so any potatoes help!

Celesyne
2011-04-17, 06:17 PM
Wish I could help you guys, but at the moment, I dont have any of the potato sack games, My copy of Audiosurf turns out to have been on the Zune that I sold. Oh well, I didn't really care for it anyways. But this is an interesting marketing campaign, Early release for buying an playing other games for a big ticket blockbuster release. I have to say Valve, once again, seem to know what their doing.

Flickerdart
2011-04-17, 07:14 PM
What do you have to do to get the potato in Audiosurf? After playing the song, GLaDOS says something about lack of effort, but it's impossible to hear because the game is all LOL I WANT TO TELL YOU ABOUT HOW HIGH SCORES WORK.

RPharazon
2011-04-17, 07:34 PM
Get 180,000+ on easy, at least. I'm not sure about the Pro or Elite levels, but that's because I haven't gotten close.
Even though I think I'm leading GITP on the Pro level...

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-17, 07:55 PM
So, tf2 server has been down for a while and I started to get curious. Is updating the server something that has to be done manually, or can the responsibility be given to anyone? It'd be cool to have more than a couple people who could help out in times like these...

PS- It's great to see so many people working already, Volatar. It's a man tears moment when everyone helps out, regardless of their personal issues.

Neftren
2011-04-17, 08:00 PM
So, tf2 server has been down for a while and I started to get curious. Is updating the server something that has to be done manually, or can the responsibility be given to anyone? It'd be cool to have more than a couple people who could help out in times like these...

PS- It's great to see so many people working already, Volatar. It's a man tears moment when everyone helps out, regardless of their personal issues.

Currently, it has to be done manually by potatocubed or Doomus. There should be an automated way to do it, but for now, just send them a PM.

Sum Pokemans
2011-04-17, 08:11 PM
Mmmkay, now I know. Many thanks =3

Emlyn
2011-04-18, 02:48 AM
Finally got the two potatoes in Super Meat Boy. Let me tell you, that worthless piece of meat deserved every single on of his painful and agonizing deaths. I would dance for joy if that game was thrown off a cliff, on fire, and being eaten alive by a grizzly bear, and stoned to death by every single poor soul ever to play that game. :smallfurious : :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Worira
2011-04-18, 02:50 AM
So I'm getting the impression these potatoes were maybe a bit tricky to get.

The Linker
2011-04-18, 04:02 AM
Well, by the time this potato thing started, I already had access to everything you need to get to in Super Meat Boy for a chance at a potato. So it was easy for me. The only hard part is getting there.

Dispozition
2011-04-18, 04:39 AM
Well, by the time this potato thing started, I already had access to everything you need to get to in Super Meat Boy for a chance at a potato. So it was easy for me. The only hard part is getting there.

Thisssss. I am way to lazy to make my way to world 4...Also to collect 20 bandages...FROM NONE.

Drascin
2011-04-18, 05:02 AM
I haven't honestly paid much attention to this potato thing. Might have to get the Meat Boy one just for the hell of it. What do you have to do to get it?

The Linker
2011-04-18, 05:18 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1vPutCkoZKA9XL5ZjSuNXfX8NfoeHW3xcrv7DgalKUf E&pli=1&ndplr=1

One potato: Die eleven times on world 4-19, then enter 'death traps' in the password field that comes up.

Two potato: Search "FOR MEANING" in the "levels" tab in Super Meat World, which is unlocked with 20 bandages. No password field will come up, but a potato will appear on your steam profile regardless.

Volatar
2011-04-18, 08:15 AM
So I'm getting the impression these potatoes were maybe a bit tricky to get.

The Defense Grid ones are easy. Got 5 without even playing the game.

Neftren
2011-04-18, 09:11 AM
I'm going to be sad if the potatoes stick around on user profiles after the ARG. I want a potato on my profile. :smallfrown:

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-18, 09:52 AM
I'm going to be sad if the potatoes stick around on user profiles after the ARG. I want a potato on my profile. :smallfrown:

I'll be sad if they don't...I have 5 potatos, all very easy to obtain, but I like them.

Honestly, if I hadn't been trying for the potato I probably would have dismissed Toki Tori as a bad purchase, but now that I've seen the "deeper" aspects of the game, it is so freakin fun. Definitely a good purchase.

Of the potato sack the only games I regret are 123Kickit, because its just AAAAA but bad, TWEotW because it's just Katamari but bad, and Defense Grid because I hate tower defense so very much. Still, 10 decent games (a few of which are stellar) for super cheap.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 10:18 AM
Odd; I heard a lot of people hailing End of the World as "katamari but NOT bad."

MoelVermillion
2011-04-18, 10:21 AM
Odd; I heard a lot of people hailing End of the World as "katamari but NOT bad."

People thought Katamari was bad :smallconfused: ?

Dogmantra
2011-04-18, 10:23 AM
People thought Katamari was bad :smallconfused: ?

NAAAAAA NANANANANANANA KATAMARI DAMASHIIIIIIIIIII

That is why I think it is bad and I have not even played it.
Damn catchy songs.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-18, 10:29 AM

The humanoid deathcloud is just less intuitive than the ball, and less cute (dawww little space prince). Plus the "Pick up an item that immediately shrinks a LOT to fit on the model" is a lot more apparent in End of the World than it was in katamari.

Also...music.

In the end it's mostly about polish. As an "indie" game (I hate that term), that is so clearly inspired by Katamari, it doesn't really hold up.

Volatar
2011-04-18, 10:55 AM
Defense Grid because I hate tower defense so very much.

I personally love Tower Defense, but most such games are dumb flash games. Defense Grid is the best Tower Defense game I have ever encountered and has a really high level of quality, a great difficulty curve that ends up really hard (still haven't gotten very far to be honest), and just a high level of overall polish.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-18, 11:16 AM
I personally love Tower Defense, but most such games are dumb flash games. Defense Grid is the best Tower Defense game I have ever encountered and has a really high level of quality, a great difficulty curve that ends up really hard (still haven't gotten very far to be honest), and just a high level of overall polish.

I don't doubt that, it's just sort of a genre blindspot for me.

I'm glad to hear that it is otherwise I quality game though, and maybe someday I'll sit down to try and push past my initial aversion.

ShortOne
2011-04-18, 11:54 AM
I'll be sad if they don't...I have 5 potatos, all very easy to obtain, but I like them.

Honestly, if I hadn't been trying for the potato I probably would have dismissed Toki Tori as a bad purchase, but now that I've seen the "deeper" aspects of the game, it is so freakin fun. Definitely a good purchase.

Of the potato sack the only games I regret are 123Kickit, because its just AAAAA but bad, TWEotW because it's just Katamari but bad, and Defense Grid because I hate tower defense so very much. Still, 10 decent games (a few of which are stellar) for super cheap.

Bold is mine.

I actually thought Kick It was MUCH better than AAAAAA. I couldn't get the hang of AAAAAA, because their tutorials were really unhelpful and their controls were very non-intuitive. Kick It was hella fun.

Did you mean Audiosurf? They're more alike.

Volatar
2011-04-18, 11:56 AM
I don't doubt that, it's just sort of a genre blindspot for me.

I'm glad to hear that it is otherwise I quality game though, and maybe someday I'll sit down to try and push past my initial aversion.

's cool. Tower Defense is not for everyone. It's a very relaxing genre for me though.

Imposter
2011-04-18, 12:09 PM
I actually thought Kick It was MUCH better than AAAAAA. I couldn't get the hang of AAAAAA, because their tutorials were really unhelpful and their controls were very non-intuitive. Kick It was hella fun.

Did you mean Audiosurf? They're more alike.

Yeah, this. While my problem with AAAAAAA was more that the levels had this terrible habit of ending while I was having fun, I still like Kick It much more. I am kinda irritated that I ended up paying more and got the new version later than the people who bought it through steam, though.

Valaqil
2011-04-18, 01:18 PM
If you're not checking the Portal 2 thread, fear of spoilers perhaps, the potato counter on the GLaDOS @ home website is dropping, quickly. Something may be happening soon.

EDIT: Humble Bundle claimed.

Jibar
2011-04-18, 01:24 PM
If you're not checking the Portal 2 thread, fear of spoilers perhaps, the potato counter on the GLaDOS @ home website is dropping, quickly. Something may be happening soon.

As well, there's no longer zero Active Test Subjects.

Volatar
2011-04-18, 01:45 PM
As well, there's no longer zero Active Test Subjects.

Actually, there is. GLaDOS was switched to Russian.

onasuma
2011-04-18, 01:57 PM
Quick maths says all the potatos will have run out in 10 hours (give or take). THEN WHAT?

Volatar
2011-04-18, 02:02 PM
EDIT: nevermind

Neftren
2011-04-18, 03:28 PM

EDIT: Humble Bundle claimed.

If anyone would like the Desura or OnLive keys for the current HumbleBundle, drop me a PM.

Also, what would be a good game for a birthday present?

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-18, 03:28 PM
Quick maths says all the potatos will have run out in 10 hours (give or take). THEN WHAT?

The game is released. the potato power and the count down timer and the status bar are the same.

Or perhaps the auxilary power will run out, Glados will shut down and be unable to restart and Potal 2 will be canceled.

Swordslinger
2011-04-18, 03:42 PM
Just 10 hours until the second coming of Portal:smallbiggrin:

tarbrush
2011-04-18, 04:31 PM
Or perhaps the auxilary power will run out, Glados will shut down and be unable to restart and Potal 2 will be canceled.

And Valve could then add "Most Epic Troll Ever" to "Welcome to the internets: Fail to understand what ‘Private’ means on YouTube"

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-18, 04:56 PM
Oh god

That would be so worth it

So.

Worth.

It.

dromer
2011-04-18, 05:05 PM

Or GlaDOS makes the leap into Valve-time taking all of us with her. INFINITE HYPERSTASIS

Silverraptor
2011-04-18, 05:09 PM
Or GlaDOS makes the leap into Valve-time taking all of us with her. INFINITE HYPERSTASIS

Or those who participated will wake up inside Apature science itself.

Phase
2011-04-18, 05:49 PM
Speaking of hypersleep, it comes time for me to leave all of you fine folks for the wonderful world of unleavened bread and no goddamn computer until Wednesday night.

Le sigh. I bid you adieu, and have fun with Portal 2 without me, somehow...

Silverraptor
2011-04-18, 06:25 PM
Speaking of hypersleep, it comes time for me to leave all of you fine folks for the wonderful world of unleavened bread and no goddamn computer until Wednesday night.

Le sigh. I bid you adieu, and have fun with Portal 2 without me, somehow...

Impossible! We must stall Portal 2's release somehow! Quickly! We only have less than 12 hours until then!

dromer
2011-04-18, 07:08 PM
Impossible! We must stall Portal 2's release somehow! Quickly! We only have less than 12 hours until then!

Gentlemen, I present the Potato Cannon.

Gamerlord
2011-04-18, 07:17 PM

If that happened Valve would need to get bulletproof houses and cars for all tis employees.
EDIT: Okay, I somehow double post five minutes into the future?

dromer
2011-04-18, 07:21 PM
EDIT: Okay, I somehow double post five minutes into the future?

You somehow had a... delayed teleport!

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-18, 10:38 PM
1 hour remaining:
Amnesia and Defense Grid remain.
GO GO GO

onasuma
2011-04-18, 10:43 PM
At current rates, it'll take 3 hours to finish defence grid and 4 for amnesia. We lost.

Bayar
2011-04-18, 11:31 PM
At current rates, it'll take 3 hours to finish defence grid and 4 for amnesia. We lost.

It took less than 1 hour for both of them :tongue:

Volug
2011-04-18, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I'm playing portal 2 right now. Waste of money, pretty horrid thus far :smalltongue: /more pathetic trolling attempts

ShortOne
2011-04-18, 11:33 PM
Portal 2 Is Out!

AlterForm
2011-04-18, 11:35 PM
>> Portal 2 releases

>> Hit Play

>> "Decrypting files: 0%"

>> 5%

>> 8%

>> 11%

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 12 %

>> 13 %

>> raegface.exe

Neftren
2011-04-18, 11:35 PM
Guys, no spoilers. That goes for you, and you, and you!

memnarch
2011-04-18, 11:40 PM
Hooray! Portal 2, decrypted, installed, and running! :smallcool:

The Linker
2011-04-18, 11:41 PM
Mark your spoilers, people! I don't want to know if it runs!

:smalltongue:

Man, this is a conundrum. I want to play it. But I don't want to play it without Let's Playing it, as that kind of defeats the purpose of a blind Let's Play. But my roommates are asleep, so I can't talk loud.

CONUNDRUM INDEED

Bayar
2011-04-18, 11:50 PM
My Portal 2 decryption seems to get stuck at 32 %.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-18, 11:51 PM
As a heads up to those of you on Mumble...if I catch you talking about it and spoiling it before I've gotten it and played it, you will all suffer painful, painful...um...pain. I suppose. Discuss it in the Portal 2 channels, and ONLY there. Sound good?

Thought it would.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-18, 11:52 PM
And I don't have Portal 2. Too expensive for me. :smallfrown:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-18, 11:53 PM

Agreed. Ah well.

chiasaur11
2011-04-19, 12:07 AM
INCOMPLETE INSTALLATION?

COME ON!

This is become a frustrating process.

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 12:08 AM

Agreed. Ah well.

Likewise. Mostly because buying Magicka means I'm just short of having enough to buy Portal 2.

Got two copies to gift first before I can buy it for myself, mind you. Four now :smalltongue:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-19, 12:10 AM
Got two copies to gift first before I can buy it for myself, mind you. Four now :smalltongue:

Very funny, Cog. :smalltongue:

I mean, I know I'm getting it. I just don't have the disposable income at the moment. Which is fine, 'cause I'm rarely in the mood for a single player game anyway. One of these days, possibly over summer break, when I have time to spare and the will to actually play through a full game.

Or, possibly, never. Depends on my mood. Right now though? Not really missing Portal 2, to be perfectly honest. :smallbiggrin:

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 12:25 AM

I was joking? Huh. Didn't know that.

But okay, make that three, if you're in no hurry to get it :smalltongue:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-19, 12:34 AM
I was joking? Huh. Didn't know that.

Actually, I've known you long enough that I was sort of sure you weren't joking. Which is why I had to make it glaringly obvious that I would take it as a joke. 'cause frankly, if you tried getting me a copy? It'd go to someone else if I couldn't refund it for you, 'cause, although I'd appreciate the sentiment, I couldn't accept it and still feel good about myself. Just how I'm programmed, I guess. Either that, or I'd get it for you in return, and I've just established that I don't have the disposable income for that. Don't make me do it, Cog. :smalltongue:

Especially since I don't know when, if ever, I'll have the time and motivation to actually play the damn thing. :smalltongue:

But okay, make that three, if you're in no hurry to get it :smalltongue:

Fair enough. :smallbiggrin:

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-19, 01:03 AM

ditto. Spoilers are in the portal thread. Please keep them there.

Jibar
2011-04-19, 01:06 AM
And now eeeeeeeverybody's loading up Portal 2 and I won't be playing it until tomorrow at this rate.
So, Steam Thread is hereby

NO SPOILER ZONE.

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 01:07 AM
ditto. Spoilers are in the portal thread. Please keep them there.

...Four again.

This may take a while, mind you >_>

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 06:14 AM
So, Steam Thread is hereby

THE ZONE.

You shouldn't have come here, spoiler! Now you'll be WORM FOOD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgC42GlsjA)

Neftren
2011-04-19, 07:32 AM

I mean, I know I'm getting it. I just don't have the disposable income at the moment. Which is fine, 'cause I'm rarely in the mood for a single player game anyway. One of these days, possibly over summer break, when I have time to spare and the will to actually play through a full game.

Or, possibly, never. Depends on my mood. Right now though? Not really missing Portal 2, to be perfectly honest. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah that's kind of my predicament. I'm short about $20 for Portal 2, so I was going to see about maybe just getting Mass Effect or Riot Points as a birthday present to myself, and in any case, have no technical way of paying for it at this point. At least, not until I can get say, a credit card or something.

tarbrush
2011-04-19, 11:42 AM
So is everyone starting out on the single player P2 and moving up to 2player when they've finished it, or are poeple looking for buddies right away?

onasuma
2011-04-19, 12:12 PM
Yosaff and I did the first 3 sections of multiplayer. Its a lot of fun (personally more than single player, but thats debatable).

AlterForm
2011-04-19, 12:22 PM
I'd be up for some multiplayer later this evening. Potentially recorded or livecasted or something in a blind play if we want to take the time to set up and plan that, as well.

Valaqil
2011-04-19, 01:33 PM
So is everyone starting out on the single player P2 and moving up to 2player when they've finished it, or are poeple looking for buddies right away?

As a very basic FYI: I've heard that the co-op campaign has spoilers for SP. It was recommended to me that I play SP first. I don't know _anything_ more than that, but I thought I'd mention it.

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-19, 01:52 PM
Blue Xephos is doing a playthrough of Portal 2.
So very tempting, must not watch.
(But since they are doing that, shadow of Israphel is delayed, URG)

Bayar
2011-04-19, 02:15 PM
Anyone wanna get tested with me now ?

Neftren
2011-04-19, 03:02 PM

Sneak (yes, the Sneak) just gifted me Portal 2, so I guess I'll get to play that. I'll probably finish the Single Player just to get used to the whole thinking with portals mode. Then I'd be game for Multiplayer.

ShortOne
2011-04-19, 03:06 PM

I'm doing them both simultaneously, but the multiplayer is going much faster.

Jibar
2011-04-19, 03:36 PM
Ya know, I love J.J. Abrams as much as the next man. He wasn't responsible for Lost sucking, and Cloverfield was awesome.

But what is up with the playable trailer in Portal 2? It's damn cool and I can promise you I would totally play more trailers if folks did this, but why is it there? Why does this exist?

Silverraptor
2011-04-19, 03:44 PM
I would totally love a gifted Portal 2.:smallsmile:

(Couldn't hurt to try, right?)

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 03:45 PM
I would totally love a gifted Portal 2.:smallsmile:

(Couldn't hurt to try, right?)

Why do you do this to me?:smalltongue:

NeoVid
2011-04-19, 03:49 PM
The cybercafe where I play had the release timer projected onto the wall, and Portal 2 was already preloaded on all their comps. I had the chance to play for about 45 minutes right after it released, and it was pretty sweet.

Plus, since I can play on the cafe's public accounts, I don't have to own it!

Silverraptor
2011-04-19, 03:54 PM

>.>
<.<
...Uhhh, I was actually just doing it to everybody. But if you want me to target you, so be it.:smalltongue:

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 03:58 PM
>.>
<.<
...Uhhh, I was actually just doing it to everybody. But if you want me to target you, so be it.:smalltongue:

In case you haven't noticed, I'm kinda getting Portal 2 for everyone who can't afford it before I buy it for myself.

And I have people who share my account, and are telling me that I should get a copy on my account first so they can play it... yep.

Aaaaanyway. In a few days, I'll have an opportunity to sell a bunch of old MtG cards (plus maybe some old Wii/PS2 games), so I should be able to get the required Portal 2 copies. Hope everyone can wait :smalltongue:

Neftren
2011-04-19, 03:58 PM

/target Cogwheel
/demand Mission Runway (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12670/?snr=1_4_4__13)

(Just Kidding :smalltongue:. No, really, don't. I swear, if you gift me this game, I will become the butt of all jokes among my friends, and I shall go to the deepest, darkest, dankest corner of the world to die a very horrible death. :smallfrown:)

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 03:59 PM
/target Cogwheel
/demand Mission Runway (http://store.steampowered.com/app/12670/?snr=1_4_4__13)

(Just Kidding :smalltongue:. No, really, don't. I swear, if you gift me this game, I will become the butt of all jokes among my friends, and I shall go to the deepest, darkest, dankest corner of the world to die a very horrible death. :smallfrown:)

You make a tempting offer.

But no.

TheLogman
2011-04-19, 04:03 PM
So I thought I had the specs to run Portal 2.

But my integrated chipset family, though it HAS all the elements that Portal 2's video card specs wants (128 MB Video RAM, 2.0 Shader Support), people are telling me that it will not work.

I also have all the other specs.

And when I started it up it crashes on the main menu.

Thoughts? Encouragements? I only own a laptop right now, and I can't upgrade it because it's a Toshiba, which means nothing is compatible with it.

Help?

Silverraptor
2011-04-19, 04:03 PM
In case you haven't noticed, I'm kinda getting Portal 2 for everyone who can't afford it before I buy it for myself.

And I have people who share my account, and are telling me that I should get a copy on my account first so they can play it... yep.

Aaaaanyway. In a few days, I'll have an opportunity to sell a bunch of old MtG cards (plus maybe some old Wii/PS2 games), so I should be able to get the required Portal 2 copies. Hope everyone can wait :smalltongue:

*Does the Rave Dance of Joy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CykNPQIj8h8)*

Neftren
2011-04-19, 04:04 PM
You make a tempting offer.

But no.

:smalltongue: I was really just joking. I can't think of anyone in their right minds who would actually want that game right now. Well, I could, but... oh no... oh no... you weren't thinking of humiliating me were you?!!! :smallbiggrin:

So I thought I had the specs to run Portal 2.

But my integrated chipset family, though it HAS all the elements that Portal 2's video card specs wants (128 MB Video RAM, 2.0 Shader Support), people are telling me that it will not work.

I also have all the other specs.

And when I started it up it crashes on the main menu.

Thoughts? Encouragements? I only own a laptop right now, and I can't upgrade it because it's a Toshiba, which means nothing is compatible with it.

Help?

What's your chipset?

TheLogman
2011-04-19, 04:06 PM
I have the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Required Have

Video RAM 128 MB 1.3 GB

Hardware T&L Yes Yes

Pixel Shader version 2.0 4.0

Vertex Shader version 2.0 4.0

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 04:08 PM

Ow, my brain.

you weren't thinking of humiliating me were you?!!! :smallbiggrin:

Maybe a bit.

Neftren
2011-04-19, 04:10 PM
I have the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Required Have

Video RAM 128 MB 1.3 GB

Hardware T&L Yes Yes

Pixel Shader version 2.0 4.0

Vertex Shader version 2.0 4.0

Is there a specific error when it crashes, or does it just fail to start?

TheLogman
2011-04-19, 04:12 PM
Starts up, I get the valve guy, valve noise plays, goes to the startup graphic, says loading.

PORTAL 2 HAS STOPPED WORKING.

Crashes.

I'm doing a driver reinstall now, but I think there's some other problem...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-19, 04:21 PM

Quite frankly Cog, I think you're crazy. A great guy, but crazy. Especially given the hefty price tag of Portal.

To everyone actually saying "gift me a copy," just consider that, will ya? It's $50 a pop, and Cog, like all of us, isn't made of money. At least, I don't think he is.

In short, he's one of the most generous fellows I've met. Don't take advantage of that generosity.

Silverraptor
2011-04-19, 04:23 PM
Quite frankly Cog, I think you're crazy. A great guy, but crazy. Especially given the hefty price tag of Portal.

To everyone actually saying "gift me a copy," just consider that, will ya? It's $50 a pop, and Cog, like all of us, isn't made of money. At least, I don't think he is.

In short, he's one of the most generous fellows I've met. Don't take advantage of that generosity.

I actually missed his original announcement and was just posting that as a joke to be honest. I was actually not expecting him to do this.

onasuma
2011-04-19, 04:28 PM
Ya know, I love J.J. Abrams as much as the next man. He wasn't responsible for Lost sucking, and Cloverfield was awesome.

But what is up with the playable trailer in Portal 2? It's damn cool and I can promise you I would totally play more trailers if folks did this, but why is it there? Why does this exist?

To make me have to go see a film. I hope valve make a game of it. I know very little beyond that teaser, but I think with that atmosphere they could craft a nice horror game.

Volatar
2011-04-19, 04:33 PM
Starts up, I get the valve guy, valve noise plays, goes to the startup graphic, says loading.

Crashes.

Go to Valve Support. It looks like you should be able to play but there is some problem that needs to be solved first.

Neftren
2011-04-19, 04:52 PM

Crashes.

Interesting. Have you tried say, administrator or compatibility modes?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 04:53 PM

I think you're right. We need to find a way where he can keep being generous, but not drain his bank account. Since we can't ASK him to only gift to some, we'll just have to find a way to weed out the unworthy.

Ah. There's the solution. No presents for you unless you upload a video of yourself doing this dance for five minutes. No editing or loops. If that doesn't thin out the weak, well, the required dancing will be longer, and crazier, with higher standards. And if that doesn't work, it'll get even harder.

Until, eventually, we can sell the dance videos to buy a Golden Server.

Volatar
2011-04-19, 05:38 PM
I am sort of in a bind :smallfrown: I have zero money for Portal 2, but not only do I want to play it, I HAVE to play it or SOMEONE will spoil it.

Yet I cannot bring myself to pirate a Valve game, even now.

Only solution I can think of is sharing an account with someone. My best friend (who I would normally share with) is in a similar no-money situation though, so he isn't an option :smallfrown:

Dragero
2011-04-19, 05:41 PM
I am sort of in a bind :smallfrown: I have zero money for Portal 2, but not only do I want to play it, I HAVE to play it or SOMEONE will spoil it.

Yet I cannot bring myself to pirate a Valve game, even now.

Only solution I can think of is sharing an account with someone. My best friend (who I would normally share with) is in a similar no-money situation though, so he isn't an option :smallfrown:

If you live in the states, best buy is selling portal 2 for $35, with $10 of bestbuy-points and a $10 bestbuy gift card added in as a bonus!

Yet up here in canada, portal 2 is still $50-$60! Damb you Americans! Our money is worth more than yours, why can't we get the same benefits as you!

Oh well, maybe some day I'll get portal 2. (Also, did anybody here by chance get a golden potato during the arg? Apparently if you did, you got the valve complete pack for free!)

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 05:42 PM
Quite frankly Cog, I think you're crazy.

Thank you. I have the papers to prove it.

A great guy

LIES AND SLANDER.

hefty price tag of Portal.

I have a job for a reason.

Pretty sure this isn't it, but I'm going to pretend it is.

Cog, like all of us, isn't made of money. At least, I don't think he is.

I don't know, I could be. Are money golems a thing now? Do they happen?

Don't take advantage of that generosity.

Shhhhh, don't listen to him.

Seriously though, Djinn, I appreciate the thought, but in case you haven't noticed, it's been a mess of one-sided offers from me so far. Not one person has asked me for a copy.

Also the two-pack makes things cheaper, but that's besides the point.

EDIT:

Only solution I can think of is sharing an account with someone.

I guess I could volunteer? If people promise to stay offline, I mean. Which means you'd get a co-op-free version, but it'd make things a lot easier all around. Thoughts?

Volatar
2011-04-19, 05:52 PM
I guess I could volunteer? If people promise to stay offline, I mean. Which means you'd get a co-op-free version, but it'd make things a lot easier all around. Thoughts?

I would definitely be cool with this. I am most worried about the story and spoilers as I said, and thats all in the Single Player I hear. I can get to the coop later with one of my siblings or my best friend when I can afford the game.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 05:56 PM
I would definitely be cool with this. I am most worried about the story and spoilers as I said, and thats all in the Single Player I hear. I can get to the coop later with one of my siblings or my best friend when I can afford the game.

Honestly Cog, I would not share my account details, even with GITP people. Better safe than sorry.

Better safe that sorry.can I be on the list of people who get to play portal 2 on your account? I'm going to buy it anyway but it'll be two weeks before I get the money and- and spoilers....

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 06:03 PM
Better safe than sorry.

Stay away from churches and zombies.

Anyway, those of you who are at all involved in this, PM me and let me know if you'd rather share, or have your own copy. I'll go clear my inbox.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-19, 06:27 PM
I find myself now with a spare copy of Trine floating around, leftover from buying the Frozenbyte Indie Pack.
Who wants?

EDIT: Nevermind, claimed by a friend.

Dragero
2011-04-19, 06:31 PM
I find myself now with a spare copy of Trine floating around, leftover from buying the Frozenbyte Indie Pack.
Who wants?

Huh? The indie bundle gives gift copies? I can't seem to find one for my copy of trine......

Also, thanks for reminding me: Anybody who wants a copy of the Frozenbyte Indie bundle, just PM me.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 06:55 PM
Stay away from churches and zombies.

*hides pamphlet for the Revived Unitarians Church*

I'll just.... cancel my career as a reverend then. There go my dreams of being addressed as Saint Father Doctor Wizard Brindle

Neftren
2011-04-19, 06:56 PM
I would consider loaning out my account for a select period of time, to certain trustworthy individuals as well. Unfortunately, it's taking forever to install Portal 2 here. :smallfurious:

Volatar
2011-04-19, 08:52 PM
Our evil plan is working. We are actually getting Cogwheel to buy a game for himself. :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 09:02 PM
Our evil plan is working. We are actually getting Cogwheel to buy a game for himself. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I see, I see.

Cog, you should subscribe to a psychiatrist who specializes in compulsive giving

then we can all use the subscriptions

Cogwheel
2011-04-19, 09:02 PM

I'll probably get the last laugh when it runs fine for everyone but me or something.

Volatar
2011-04-19, 09:09 PM
I'll probably get the last laugh when it runs fine for everyone but me or something.

I'll get the last last laugh when I come up with some miracle cure that makes the game run on your inferior hardware.

It's my specialty after all :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-19, 09:40 PM
I'll get the best laugh though, when I watch Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD!

Spartacus
2011-04-19, 11:44 PM
Confuse-a-cat is a favourite of mine.

EDIT: BRB, watching Confuse-a-cat.

ShortOne
2011-04-20, 02:37 AM
Scuzz had a Golden Potato.

Dispozition
2011-04-20, 04:33 AM
Scuzz had a Golden Potato.

(8) I've got a golden ticket, I've got a golden ticket, I've got a (8)

Oh wait, that's not right :-/

Drascin
2011-04-20, 07:29 AM
I admit, Portal is so damn tempting. But 40€ is more than I'm willing to pay for any game with less play value than, say, Monster Hunter, I'm afraid. I think I'll wait. I just hope I can avoid the spoilers :smallsigh:.

Cogwheel
2011-04-20, 07:36 AM
I admit, Portal is so damn tempting. But 40€ is more than I'm willing to pay for any game with less play value than, say, Monster Hunter, I'm afraid. I think I'll wait. I just hope I can avoid the spoilers :smallsigh:.

I assume you haven't been paying attention to the thread.

Winthur
2011-04-20, 07:40 AM
I'll get the best laugh though, when I watch Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD!

Nudge nudge, you gonna "watch", y'know what I mean? Gonna "watch"? Say no more! Say no more! :smallwink:

Bayar
2011-04-20, 09:22 AM

Do not go anywhere near YouTube then.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-20, 09:37 AM
Man, this is even worse than that time I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Deadly Neurotoxins, and found out that CAVE JOHNSON KILLED DUMBLEDORE

That sounds like a fanfiction that needs to exist. Does it exist? If not, I need to write it.

Bayar
2011-04-20, 11:01 AM
Man, this is even worse than that time I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Deadly Neurotoxins, and found out that CAVE JOHNSON KILLED DUMBLEDORE

That sounds like a fanfiction that needs to exist. Does it exist? If not, I need to write it.

You might want to add spoiler tags to that.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-20, 11:04 AM
You might want to add spoiler tags to that.

I havn't played portal 2. Why would I spoiler anything I say, since I don't know anything about anything?

blackfox
2011-04-20, 11:08 AM
I havn't played portal 2. Why would I spoiler anything I say, since I don't know anything about anything?Because both of you are being silly and neither of you understand that about the other person.

In other news, Portal 2 contains GLaDOS. :smallyuk:

Volatar
2011-04-20, 11:26 AM
In other news, Portal 2 contains GLaDOS. :smallyuk:

DARN YOU! I thought I killed her last time!

Silverraptor
2011-04-20, 11:55 AM
You know, where in Portal 1 did we ever find out GlaDOS's name? I don't think it is ever mentioned, yet I see everywhere of her being refered to as GlaDOS.:smallconfused:

Bayar
2011-04-20, 12:01 PM
You know, where in Portal 1 did we ever find out GlaDOS's name? I don't think it is ever mentioned, yet I see everywhere of her being refered to as GlaDOS.:smallconfused:

Ending credits.

chiasaur11
2011-04-20, 12:07 PM
Ending credits.

Thought it was mentioned on the slideshow complaining about Black Mesa as well.

Jahkaivah
2011-04-20, 01:04 PM
Yeah the slideshow mentions the acronym Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System.

Also replaying Portal 1 I noticed three giant rings spinning above Glados at the end one of them has her name on it. Though I don't think they were there when I first played it.

dromer
2011-04-20, 07:08 PM
Yeah the slideshow mentions the acronym Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System.

Also replaying Portal 1 I noticed three giant rings spinning above Glados at the end one of them has her name on it. Though I don't think they were there when I first played it.

Ratman also wrote her name down IIRC.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-20, 07:11 PM
Shadow_Archmagi to: All Friends: Hey, anyone got a pirated copy of Xcom? I wanna do an LP but I'm broke

Griever: Can you not do an LP on Steam?
Shadow: I guess I could...
Charles: Here I"ll just buy you an Xcom. Which one you want?
Shadow: I dunno, surprise me
GIFT APPEARS: X-COM: UFO DEFENSE
Griever: Enjoy!
Shadow: Wait what-
GIFT APPEARS: X-COM: APOCALYPSE
Charles: Enjoy!
Shadow: Oh god what have I done I didn't need two
Shadow: So much undeserved generosity....
Cokezero: Oh, you know, speaking of free stuff, I actually have a few duplicates from the indie bundle. Do you have Portal, Rush, or Half Life 1?
Shadow: What's rush? I've never heard of it
GIFT APPEARS: RUSH!
Shadow: There is no such thing as Karma

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-20, 07:16 PM
So, anyone who wants a guy named after them, go ahead and post

Folytopo
2011-04-20, 07:17 PM
I volunteer for a red shirt position. Tanking bullets is what I do best!

Cogwheel
2011-04-20, 07:17 PM
I'll take an autocannon agent.

Volatar
2011-04-20, 07:19 PM
I would love to be a plasma shield in overalls :smalltongue:

Cogwheel
2011-04-20, 07:25 PM
I'll take an autocannon agent.

Bayar
2011-04-20, 07:30 PM
You can use me as well. Last time was so fun.

Neftren
2011-04-20, 08:01 PM
What is X-Com exactly?

Worira
2011-04-20, 08:09 PM
You should probably make a new thread for this.

Also, I want to be a guy.

Not the guy, though. Too much pressure.

Cogwheel
2011-04-20, 08:10 PM
What is X-Com exactly?

A game where there are aliens and then you die.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-20, 08:12 PM
So, anyone who wants a guy named after them, go ahead and post

I will be anything. As long as that anything is awesome.

Neftren
2011-04-20, 08:15 PM

But, that's so vague. I mean, is it like, Halo-style blowing up stuff? Tower-defense style? Oh, you know, I should just Google it. :smallredface:

Volatar
2011-04-20, 08:25 PM

This describes X-Com perfectly.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-20, 08:27 PM
Okay, this isn't going to work. Every video recording program HATES dosbox.

I'll have to livestream it. (http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 08:30 PM
But, that's so vague. I mean, is it like, Halo-style blowing up stuff? Tower-defense style? Oh, you know, I should just Google it. :smallredface:

Aliens are invading the Earth. You are X-Com, the Secret Agency tasked with defending the Earth against the Aliens. Only this is the first time anybody has ever actually *seen* aliens, and before now you were really kind of an embarassment that was only around because somebody somehow managed to get you funding once and you've just kinda stayed lurking in the budget.. so at the start of the game your tools for fighting highly advanced alien species are: some suicidal troopers and assault rifles. That's pretty much it, you don't even have body armor.

Gameplay is split between an overworld map and a turn-based squad-level tactical combat map. In overworld, you build your bases, hire and train your soldiers, shoot down UFOs, and sell alien goods on the black market to acquire the funds needed to not suck so hard (well, ok, the nations of the Earth do finally start giving you real money, but they only pay you once a month and you need to move a lot faster than that to keep up with the aliens.) On the combat map, you investigate downed alien ships, respond to alien terror attacks on major cities, and die. Lots of dieing.

Gamerlord
2011-04-20, 09:10 PM
I call dibs on the redshirt!
What? Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Oh, and give me a tank.

What TPAM said, with this added to it:
ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER.
In my top ten favorite games. And believe me, games don't get in my top ten easily.