PDA

View Full Version : [Steam] Thread XXI: 65% More Thread, Per Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 09:11 PM
Wait, are we speaking of x-com? I've never played that.

Anyway, give my name to Heavy Weapons Guy, m'kay?

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-20, 09:18 PM
Well well well, look who's a swanky sergeant now in xcom?
Here's a hint, its me. :smallbiggrin:

Neftren
2011-04-20, 09:18 PM
Aliens are invading the Earth. You are X-Com, the Secret Agency tasked with defending the Earth against the Aliens. Only this is the first time anybody has ever actually *seen* aliens, and before now you were really kind of an embarassment that was only around because somebody somehow managed to get you funding once and you've just kinda stayed lurking in the budget.. so at the start of the game your tools for fighting highly advanced alien species are: some suicidal troopers and assault rifles. That's pretty much it, you don't even have body armor.

Gameplay is split between an overworld map and a turn-based squad-level tactical combat map. In overworld, you build your bases, hire and train your soldiers, shoot down UFOs, and sell alien goods on the black market to acquire the funds needed to not suck so hard (well, ok, the nations of the Earth do finally start giving you real money, but they only pay you once a month and you need to move a lot faster than that to keep up with the aliens.) On the combat map, you investigate downed alien ships, respond to alien terror attacks on major cities, and die. Lots of dieing.

Sounds interesting. Maybe I should get it. Actually, maybe I should just add it to my Steam wishlist and get around to playing it after I finish the other games I recently picked up.

Gamerlord
2011-04-20, 09:27 PM
Sounds interesting. Maybe I should get it. Actually, maybe I should just add it to my Steam wishlist and get around to playing it after I finish the other games I recently picked up.

Be warned, it will show no mercy.
Also, GET A FREAKING TANK BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Neftren
2011-04-20, 09:30 PM
Be warned, it will show no mercy.
Also, GET A FREAKING TANK BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Wait, so does that mean I should get a tank before I get the game? :smalltongue:

Edit: Crap, I failed. I must've had to get a tank before I posted this post. :smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 09:33 PM

It's 5 bucks on Steam, 15 for the complete bundle of All The X-Com (although most of the other games are honestly not as good as the first.. I still bought the whole bundle.) I'd be happy to gift it to you.

Actually- Hey, Steam Thread. Anybody who does not have X-Com and wants it, speak up. First five posters here get a gift copy and a Wag Of The Finger for not already having this game.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 09:35 PM
Yo. I lack it.

Though I probably won't start playing it for a couple of days if I did get it.

Neftren
2011-04-20, 09:36 PM
It's 5 bucks on Steam, 15 for the complete bundle of All The X-Com (although most of the other games are honestly not as good as the first.. I still bought the whole bundle.) I'd be happy to gift it to you.

Actually- Hey, Steam Thread. Anybody who does not have X-Com and wants it, speak up. First five posters here get a gift copy and a Wag Of The Finger for not already having this game.

Um, I guess so, but I've already gotten so much free stuff from you guys. :smallfrown: All I gave was some petty $10 iTunes Gift Card to somebody who I don't even remember at this point.

Well, I guess if you're going to give it out, I may as well give it a shot.
Edit: Why are there five different X-Coms on Steam? /confused :smallconfused:

Also, anybody here like Duke Nukem? I got a Duke Nukem First Access key from my Borderlands GotY edition, and I have zero interest in Duke Nukem, so...

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 09:38 PM
*shrug* It's not like I'm in a position to care how much you play it, I've actually only got 4-ish hours logged on my Steam copy and like six other games I should play at some point. Just want to share a good game and a bit of gaming history for people to appreciate.

Also, if I don't have you already friended and especially if your Steam name is not/not currently the same as your GitP login, please mention what name the gift is going to.

Why are there five different X-Coms on Steam?

After the first one (called either UFO Defense or Enemy Unknown) they tried to make a franchise of it, so you get X-Com:Subtitle. Usually when people say X-Com they mean the first one, and the others get referred to by their subtitles.

Double edit: Oh my GlaDoS like 80% of my friends list doesn't own X-Com. WTH is wrong with you people.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 09:40 PM
Well, I just sent you a friend request under a name that starts with "[Corrupted", and goes from there. So... Yeah.

Celesyne
2011-04-20, 09:43 PM
I played X-com for a while, then my buddy changed the password on his STEAM account, fun game, but I really suck at it. Chia's LPs of the series are how I learned about it. Need to pick up a copy again sometime, see if I can survive a year without getting murdered. My previous record was about 1.5 years before there were more aliens than I could take out and the governments of earth abandoned me. Also, redshirts die to anything... and I mean anything. Gunshot to the leg, papercut to the small toe, someone ate tacos and farted on the transport (that can cause a full mission lost if the trasport doesnt land first). Seriously, totally squishy.

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 09:45 PM
I played X-com for a while, then my buddy changed the password on his STEAM account, fun game, but I really suck at it. Chia's LPs of the series are how I learned about it. Need to pick up a copy again sometime, see if I can survive a year without getting murdered. My previous record was about 1.5 years before there were more aliens than I could take out and the governments of earth abandoned me. Also, redshirts die to anything... and I mean anything. Gunshot to the leg, papercut to the small toe, someone ate tacos and farted on the transport (that can cause a full mission lost if the trasport doesnt land first). Seriously, totally squishy.

Is this a conversational post or a 'tyckspoon, please send me a copy' post? You know. For the record. :smallcool:

Celesyne
2011-04-20, 09:46 PM
a little of both, personally it doesn't matter. I've still got Magicka to play, but I really need to get back around to it X-COM sometime.

Neftren
2011-04-20, 09:53 PM
*shrug* It's not like I'm in a position to care how much you play it, I've actually only got 4-ish hours logged on my Steam copy and like six other games I should play at some point. Just want to share a good game and a bit of gaming history for people to appreciate.

Also, if I don't have you already friended and especially if your Steam name is not/not currently the same as your GitP login, please mention what name the gift is going to.

After the first one (called either UFO Defense or Enemy Unknown) they tried to make a franchise of it, so you get X-Com:Subtitle. Usually when people say X-Com they mean the first one, and the others get referred to by their subtitles.

Double edit: Oh my GlaDoS like 80% of my friends list doesn't own X-Com. WTH is wrong with you people.

Steam Profile is in my sig (Polytonic).

Also, if there's a game on my Steam list, I'll probably end up playing it, maybe not immediately today, but I've been trying to stretch out all my games (so I've deliberately not finished Half Life 2 -- just entered Ravenholm Cog! Creepy place!).

Is there Multiplayer? Or is this a "Hey, let's all compete and see who gets the best score" type of game?

Celesyne
2011-04-20, 09:57 PM
If my memory Serves there is no multiplayer. It's more of a ,"Let's see who lasted the longest before getting horribly mutilated by psionic aliens with blaster bomb launchers." kinda thing.

chiasaur11
2011-04-20, 09:59 PM
Steam Profile is in my sig (Polytonic).

Also, if there's a game on my Steam list, I'll probably end up playing it, maybe not immediately today, but I've been trying to stretch out all my games (so I've deliberately not finished Half Life 2 -- just entered Ravenholm Cog! Creepy place!).

Is there Multiplayer? Or is this a "Hey, let's all compete and see who gets the best score" type of game?

Singleplayer for 1-3. Spin-offs had multi, but they weren't particularly good.

X-Com is more for swapping stories, like the time you lost a tank to one shot, or that one soldier who refused to die, to the point you suspected God was in her corner.

Gamerlord
2011-04-20, 10:00 PM
Singleplayer for 1-3. Spin-offs had multi, but they were THE SPAWN OF EVIL INCARNATE.

X-Com is more for swapping stories, like the time you lost a tank to one shot, or that one soldier who refused to die, to the point you suspected God was in her corner.

Fixed. :smalltongue:

Neftren
2011-04-20, 10:03 PM
Fixed. :smalltongue:

You make it sound as if it were a good thing. :smalltongue:

Volatar
2011-04-20, 10:28 PM
Um, I guess so, but I've already gotten so much free stuff from you guys. :smallfrown: All I gave was some petty $10 iTunes Gift Card to somebody who I don't even remember at this point.

That was me. I gave it to my brother. He was very happy.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Tyckspoon. I'll give that a shot in the morning, if I can remember to.

tyckspoon
2011-04-20, 10:50 PM
I have shipped copies to The-Mage-King and Celesyne. Neftren will get one whenever he remembers to counterfriend me so I can actually choose him. 2 free copies of X-Com: UFO Defense remain on this special limited-time Tyck's Birthday offer (yes, I am giving people stuff for my birthday. Because everybody else deserves to have as many good games laying around unplayed as I do.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-20, 10:56 PM
Entertaining stream, Shadow.

It seems I am either the captain of our little band of expendables, or the most cowardly, or both. :smallbiggrin:

The-Mage-King
2011-04-20, 10:58 PM
Thanks, Tyckspoon.

Silverraptor
2011-04-20, 11:21 PM
Whoever is doing X-Com should probably make a "Lets Play" out of it.

Spartacus
2011-04-21, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a copy of X-Com, if you are so inclined.

EDIT: I appear to be already friended, even.

Cogwheel
2011-04-21, 12:35 AM

Sorry, he sent it to the other four... Spartacuses? Spartaci?

Silverraptor
2011-04-21, 12:43 AM
Hey Cog, do I have you on my steam friend list?:smallconfused: Or to better phrase the question, do you have me on yours?

Cogwheel
2011-04-21, 12:59 AM
Hey Cog, do I have you on my steam friend list?:smallconfused: Or to better phrase the question, do you have me on yours?

Nope. What's your name on steam?

Silverraptor
2011-04-21, 01:47 AM
Nope. What's your name on steam?

Steam profile should be the same as here. Silverraptor. Let me know if that doesn't work. My most common experience is Steam's usually a bitch.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-21, 06:55 AM
Wait, are we speaking of x-com? I've never played that.

Anyway, give my name to Heavy Weapons Guy, m'kay?

Mage King, if you'll watch the stream, you'll see that like any good commander, I quickly deduced that AUTOCANNONS FOR EVERYONE! was a necessary and ideal move.

Cogwheel
2011-04-21, 07:26 AM
Mage King, if you'll watch the stream, you'll see that like any good commander, I quickly deduced that AUTOCANNONS FOR EVERYONE! was a necessary and ideal move.

But you, at least for as long as the stream worked for me, failed to use incendiary/high explosive rounds.

Hardly a good commander at all. In any good X-Com game, the landscape is a casualty.

Neftren
2011-04-21, 07:49 AM
I have shipped copies to The-Mage-King and Celesyne. Neftren will get one whenever he remembers to counterfriend me so I can actually choose him. 2 free copies of X-Com: UFO Defense remain on this special limited-time Tyck's Birthday offer (yes, I am giving people stuff for my birthday. Because everybody else deserves to have as many good games laying around unplayed as I do.)

What? Oh, I went to bed early last night. I'll friend you right now.

tyckspoon
2011-04-21, 09:22 AM

I don't have a Spartacus (strangely enough.) Current Steam name/Steam ID #?

Neftren
2011-04-21, 09:31 AM
I don't have a Spartacus (strangely enough.) Current Steam name/Steam ID #?

Thanks! I'm surprised. It's only 20MB. O.o

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 09:36 AM
Thanks! I'm surprised. It's only 20MB. O.o

Old game.
And old games are the best old PC games tend to be superior to newer PC games.
Really is amazing how games that are just a few MB can easily beat games that take dozens of GBs.

Anonomuss
2011-04-21, 09:46 AM
Minecraft is perhaps a case in point. I think it dials in at about 40mb and is more addictive than any other game I've played since TF2, but I haven't played portal 2 yet, so that may change.

Silverraptor
2011-04-21, 10:26 AM
Old game.
And old games are the best.
Really is amazing how games that are just a few MB can easily beat games that take dozens of GBs.

Thats because you're already mad at the GB game for taking hours to download, that you despise it from the start.:smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 10:29 AM
Thats because you're already mad at the GB game for taking hours to download, that you despise it from the start.:smalltongue:

Seeing as how I have a high-speed internet connection, it doesn't really take that long :smalltongue: .

chiasaur11
2011-04-21, 10:46 AM
Old game.
And old games are the best.

Well, it's X-Com.

We talk, say. the Hugo series, it's a different story.

It's like saying modern games are all great because of Portal 2.

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 10:51 AM
Well, it's X-Com.

We talk, say. the Hugo series, it's a different story.

It's like saying modern games are all great because of Portal 2.

Good point, let me be a bit more specific:
"Old PC games tend to be superior to newer PC games"
Also, what is this "Hugo series"? Sounds familiar , but I cannot remember...
You play a lot of games, they tend to blur together.

Erloas
2011-04-21, 11:11 AM
Good point, let me be a bit more specific:
"Old PC games tend to be superior to newer PC games"
I think you missed the point still. Its not that old PC games were better, its that the 1-5% of old PC games you still remember/think about/play 10-15 years later are better then 95% of the new games released. There were a lot of old games that suck too, you just don't remember them.
Generally speaking there are a couple stand out games a year and lots of mediocre and forgettable games and that hasn't really changed.

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 11:11 AM
I think you missed the point still. Its not that old PC games were better, its that the 1-5% of old PC games you still remember/think about/play 10-15 years later are better then 95% of the new games released. There were a lot of old games that suck too, you just don't remember them.
Generally speaking there are a couple stand out games a year and lots of mediocre and forgettable games and that hasn't really changed.

Ah, good point, nostalgia probably had something to do with my statement.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-21, 11:25 AM
I want to interrupt this thread with an important message: According to my bank account Steam is evil.

According to my accountant, I make "poor life decisions".

Ooo! Magicka!

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-21, 12:39 PM
old games are the best

Yes, I'm sure. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMTa06Sl5E)

They really knew how to make games back then, huh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJ2uo9xV2g)

Bayar
2011-04-21, 12:43 PM

They really knew how to make games back then, huh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJ2uo9xV2g)

If it wasn't a good game, you would have not played it. Repeatedly. :biggrin:

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 01:09 PM

What he said:

If it wasn't a good game, you would have not played it. Repeatedly. :biggrin:
:tongue:

Scuzzball
2011-04-21, 01:38 PM
Anyone want any valve game except portal two? I got a gift pass to every one for getting a golden potato during the arg.

Neftren
2011-04-21, 01:50 PM
Anyone want any valve game except portal two? I got a gift pass to every one for getting a golden potato during the arg.

Oh wow, um. If you don't mind, and if you don't think I've already gotten too much free stuff, can I have Half Life 2: Episode One and Episode Two? I have Half Life 2, and want to get the other two parts in the series.

Volatar
2011-04-21, 01:53 PM

I took a look, expecting there to be at least one game I wanted, but it turns out I don't need any. I don't have DoD, or TFC, but I don't actually want those so it's cool. Everything else I have.

Someone will be happy to get games though. :smallsmile:

Spartacus
2011-04-21, 01:58 PM
I've been after DoD for a while, if no one else wants it.

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 01:59 PM
Does Counter-Strike: Source count as a valve game?

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-21, 02:00 PM
So Humble Indie Bundle 3(ish) is going on. I'm a little disappointed in the selection (I sort of wish I had been aware/taken advantage of 1 and 2), but I'll probably be buying it anyway (Or I might just send a check to Child's Play...)

But I figured those of you who were not aware might be interested because some of the games come with steam activation codes.

Neftren
2011-04-21, 02:03 PM
Does Counter-Strike: Source count as a valve game?

Yes, it should. I believe the golden potato gives people the Valve Complete Pack or something like that.

Volatar
2011-04-21, 02:08 PM
So Humble Indie Bundle 3(ish) is going on. I'm a little disappointed in the selection (I sort of wish I had been aware/taken advantage of 1 and 2), but I'll probably be buying it anyway (Or I might just send a check to Child's Play...)

But I figured those of you who were not aware might be interested because some of the games come with steam activation codes.

All 3 full games are activatable on Steam. From the looks of things, Trine alone might be worth the whole bundle.

Gamerlord
2011-04-21, 02:10 PM
Yes, it should. I believe the golden potato gives people the Valve Complete Pack or something like that.

Well, then.
@Scuzzball: If you haven't already given it to someone, I would like CS:S, if possible. We should already be Steam friends.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-21, 02:11 PM
If I may, could I put a humble request in for Half-Life? The original.

chiasaur11
2011-04-21, 02:28 PM

Half-Life source, if it'd be alright.

Steam name's same as the name here.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-21, 02:43 PM
Scuzz, if you're dealing out free games valve, I could use either of the half-life 1 expansions (Blue Shift and Opposing Force)

Scuzzball
2011-04-21, 04:59 PM
Oh wow, um. If you don't mind, and if you don't think I've already gotten too much free stuff, can I have Half Life 2: Episode One and Episode Two? I have Half Life 2, and want to get the other two parts in the series.
I think you should be on my friends list, send me a message.
Also, do you want Half-Life 2:Episode 1, or Half-Life 2:Episode One?(Actual question, I have both.)

I've been after DoD for a while, if no one else wants it.
Sure, friend me and send me a steam message. [POTATO]Scuzzball, I believe.

Well, then.
@Scuzzball: If you haven't already given it to someone, I would like CS:S, if possible. We should already be Steam friends.
I'm sorry, someone already beat you to it.

If I may, could I put a humble request in for Half-Life? The original.
Sorry, Imposter got that.

Half-Life source, if it'd be alright.

Steam name's same as the name here.
Yeah, think I have you friended. Send me a message.

Scuzz, if you're dealing out free games valve, I could use either of the half-life 1 expansions (Blue Shift and Opposing Force)
Imposter also wants one, and says you can pick first.

Drascin
2011-04-21, 05:32 PM

I'm going to put it this way. Trine alone makes the bundle worth it. Not kidding, I bought the thing when it was like 15€ (about 22$) and it was quite worth it.

But then they add Shadowgrounds (a simple but fun killfest) as a kicker to sweeten the deal!

Basically, the only reason I'm not getting this bundle is because I already have the games in it :smalltongue:.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-21, 05:35 PM
I'm going to put it this way. Trine alone makes the bundle worth it. Not kidding, I bought the thing when it was like 15€ (about 22$) and it was quite worth it.

But then they add Shadowgrounds (a simple but fun killfest) as a kicker to sweeten the deal!

Basically, the only reason I'm not getting this bundle is because I already have the games in it :smalltongue:.

Yeah, that's part of the problem, I already own Trine.

Science Officer
2011-04-21, 05:43 PM

I think I may be the only one who does not have Left 4 Dead (1). Be that the case, may I have it?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-21, 05:47 PM
Imposter also wants one, and says you can pick first.

I'll take opposing force why not

EDIT: Hurg, distracted by the constant shower of free things.

I'll be streaming X-COM in a little over an hour, at 8 PM in US EAST time.

tarbrush
2011-04-21, 05:52 PM
I would also LOVE L4D1.

Oh mighty and wondrous Scuzzball.

Flattery works on you, right?

RPharazon
2011-04-21, 05:56 PM
I'd love L4D2, if it's still available.
I am the only one without L4D2.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-21, 06:03 PM
If nobody has taken Counterstrike Source, can I have it?
Failing that, regular Counterstrike?

Scuzzball
2011-04-21, 06:36 PM
I think I may be the only one who does not have Left 4 Dead (1). Be that the case, may I have it?

I would also LOVE L4D1.

Oh mighty and wondrous Scuzzball.

Flattery works on you, right?
You two decide among yourselves who gets it.

I'll take opposing force why not.
Okay.

I'd love L4D2, if it's still available.
I am the only one without L4D2.
Sure.

If nobody has taken Counterstrike Source, can I have it?
Failing that, regular Counterstrike?
Both are already claimed, sorry.

Everyone who is getting free games: Send me messages on steam! I'm [POTATO]Scuzzball currently!

Ignore this. This is for my sorting.
Actually. Check this to make sure it's true.

Hl2 EP1 EP2-Nerfton

Spartacus-DoD

CS:S-Brad

chiasaur11-Half-Life source
Sent

Imposter HL1+Blue Shift
Sent

Tarbrush/Science Officer-L4D1

RPharazon-L4D2
Sent

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-21, 06:57 PM
Xcom time! (http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

whooo

Neftren
2011-04-21, 07:23 PM
I think you should be on my friends list, send me a message.
Also, do you want Half-Life 2:Episode 1, or Half-Life 2:Episode One?(Actual question, I have both.)

I'm confused. What's the difference between Episode 1 and Episode One? :smallconfused:

Also, I just friended you (Polytonic). Thought I had you from before, but evidently not.

Spartacus
2011-04-21, 07:37 PM
Neftren, why didn't you sign up here with the Polytonic username? You seem to be Polytonic everywhere else.

Neftren
2011-04-21, 08:02 PM
Neftren, why didn't you sign up here with the Polytonic username? You seem to be Polytonic everywhere else.

Because Neftren predates Polytonic by a good three years. I joined in 2006, and I figured if I changed my name now, people who do know me as Neftren would get confused.

tyckspoon
2011-04-21, 10:34 PM
Attention, Spartacus: I would dearly love to send you a complimentary copy of X-Com. However, as I have no Spartacus residing in my friends list, and I do not know what name you are going by on Steam, this is not currently possible. Please rectify this situation so I may give you free shiznits.

Re: Shadow's X-Com shenanigans:
I'll have to remember that under-arming your Interceptors greatly increases your chances of recovering an intact UFO. I always swap out their guns for double Avalanche launchers, which tends to obliterate smaller UFOs and make it a bit hard to gather Elerium.

Spartacus
2011-04-22, 12:13 AM
Thank you tyckpoon and Scuzzball for your gifts. My gratitude is considerable.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-22, 06:29 AM
Because Neftren predates Polytonic by a good three years. I joined in 2006, and I figured if I changed my name now, people who do know me as Neftren would get confused.

As long as you kep the same avatar and maybe put a line in your sig, I'll bet people could catch on quite quickly.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-22, 08:14 AM
As long as you kep the same avatar and maybe put a line in your sig, I'll bet people could catch on quite quickly.

People change their avatars!?

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-22, 08:47 AM

I don't think that actually happens. I think it is a myth.

Neftren
2011-04-22, 09:02 AM

Actually, yes. I've lost the links to a few of mine, but I still have some of them around. The Xykoniactive Banjulhu has lasted the longest though. I think that one was around 2008 or so. I had an update done recently this year though.

I had a fallen angel type avatar by somebody. Then I had the Baby avatar by Sneak, and I had Dr. Bath and Mr. Saturn do some seasonal touches on it (Wizard and Christmas and Easter updates IIRC). I don't remember what I had in between that.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-22, 09:05 AM
Actually, yes. I've lost the links to a few of mine, but I still have some of them around. The Xykoniactive Banjulhu has lasted the longest though. I think that one was around 2008 or so. I had an update done recently this year though.

I had a fallen angel type avatar by somebody. Then I had the Baby avatar by Sneak, and I had Dr. Bath and Mr. Saturn do some seasonal touches on it (Wizard and Christmas and Easter updates IIRC). I don't remember what I had in between that.

I'm not sure about shadow_archmagi, but I was joking. When I was more active on this forum I used to change my avatar image almost daily, in response to events going on in "The Town".

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-22, 09:40 AM
I don't think that actually happens. I think it is a myth.

Well, I mean, there's adding a christmas hat every year, but, well, not everyone observes that.

Volatar
2011-04-22, 10:11 AM
Well, I mean, there's adding a christmas hat every year, but, well, not everyone observes that.

What matters is whether you observe it or not.

RPharazon
2011-04-22, 11:08 AM
Awesome. Thanks to Scuzzball's overwhelming (and undeserved) generosity, I now have L4D2.

Now, who wants to have some fun time beating up the complete noob? I imagine a blind runthrough of a confusing game with old pros might be utter fun.

Gamerlord
2011-04-22, 11:13 AM
Awesome. Thanks to Scuzzball's overwhelming (and undeserved) generosity, I now have L4D2.

Now, who wants to have some fun time beating up the complete noob? I imagine a blind runthrough of a confusing game with old pros might be utter fun.

Tip: Turn on CC, that way you will never miss,say, a hunter leaping.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-04-22, 11:18 AM
I wonder if Valve is aware of the weird "Give stuff away" economy that has cropped up around their promotions. I have given away copies of Half Life 1 and L4D1 myself, and it seems quite a strange phenomena.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-22, 11:20 AM

I'm an old pro who is incredibly out of practice, if that helps. Meaning I know the maps pretty well, but can no longer speed through entire campaigns without getting caught by anything. :smallbiggrin:

Valaqil
2011-04-22, 11:26 AM
If I'm at the computer, I'm probably happy to play L4D2.

Silverraptor
2011-04-22, 11:30 AM
I'm an old pro who is incredibly out of practice, if that helps. Meaning I know the maps pretty well, but can no longer speed through entire campaigns without getting caught by anything. :smallbiggrin:

Ooooo! Lets all play a game right now!:smallbiggrin: To bring the Pro's back to their Pro-ness and the noobs up to Pro-level!:smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2011-04-22, 11:32 AM
I can't right now, but maybe later in the evening.

Volatar
2011-04-22, 12:22 PM
Tip: Turn on CC, that way you will never miss,say, a hunter leaping.

No, don't do this. It ruins the fun. The L4D series has always had great audio, and everything has audio cues. Unique music plays when the specials spawn, and even if you don't consciously notice the music, you just know that a special has spanwed and which type.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-22, 12:24 PM
No, don't do this. It ruins the fun. The L4D series has always had great audio, and everything has audio cues. Unique music plays when the specials spawn, and even if you don't consciously notice the music, you just know that a special has spanwed and which type.

They cut that, actually. People like Mario and myself got to good at telling those cues, and so they removed them completely.

Dragero
2011-04-22, 12:39 PM
Bah, couldn't get on my computer for the last few days.

Sad I missed an Xcom game, they're always great fun to watch/play.

Gamerlord
2011-04-22, 12:42 PM

I never noticed anything of the sort :smallconfused: .

Volatar
2011-04-22, 12:43 PM
They cut that, actually. People like Mario and myself got to good at telling those cues, and so they removed them completely.

WHAT. :smallfrown: That was so much fun.

In vs and Realistic sure you could remove that that, but in normal games it added a lot to the atmosphere and "horror movie" feel.

AlterForm
2011-04-22, 12:49 PM

And here I thought I just sucked at picking up on them.

Fawkes
2011-04-22, 12:55 PM

Only for versus, though, right?

Valaqil
2011-04-22, 01:04 PM
Meh. Even without music, it's not too difficult. If you're listening, you can often pick out the sound of most (all?) SI over the other noises. Every special has its own sound and you can learn those just like the sounds of characters in other FPS games. It just gives you less notice than the music would.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-22, 01:04 PM
Bah, couldn't get on my computer for the last few days.

Sad I missed an Xcom game, they're always great fun to watch/play.

If Djinn commenting on the events of the game is any indication, then they're still up on livestream

Worira
2011-04-22, 01:17 PM
Yes they are.

Also I appear to not have a soldierdude who is me still.

Also I can't believe you renamed Klaus Krause.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-22, 01:29 PM
Only for versus, though, right?

For everything, I think.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-22, 01:40 PM
Tonight at 5 PM, I will be showing The Spirit. That is two hours from this post.

As usual, my livestream. (http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

Dragero
2011-04-22, 01:53 PM
Tonight at 5 PM, I will be showing The Spirit. That is two hours from this post.

I'll try to be there, looks interesting.

When I was on IMDB looking that up, I decided to look up everyone's favorite non-Stephen King written birdening, and I......I found......THIS!!! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674047/)

Also this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1732651/) which has an amazingly terrible plot description.

When Ghost Shark returns to terrorize Auckland, Mayor Broody calls in an expert ghost shark hunter to protect the citizens and finally defeat the creature.

Edit: More ghost sharky things:

To prepare for the scene in which he repeatedly punches himself in the face, Johnny Hall listened to "Playing With The Boys" by Kenny Loggins on repeat for 6 hours.

Approximately half of the filming was completed over a single three-day weekend.

The first time actors from The Room (2003), Troll 2 (1990), and Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2008) had appeared on screen together.

While shooting a scene with Steve Austin and David Farrier under a bridge, the crew inadvertently woke up a homeless man who had chosen to make that spot his home for the night.

The "abandoned building" where Marco Guerra chases Tom Logan was shot as it was found, and all the human feces and crack-smoking apparatuses within are genuine.

Also, I can't seem to find a single mention of the original ghost shark anywhere.....

Valaqil
2011-04-22, 02:01 PM

I just want to say that The Spirit was an absolutely _terrible_ movie. It's perfect for mockery and community enjoyment. :smalltongue:

Neftren
2011-04-22, 10:15 PM
Gah! Portal 2 keeps crashing to desktop. Verification of files always shows one file that fails, but it doesn't tell me what file it is. :smallfurious:

Volatar
2011-04-22, 10:29 PM
Gah! Portal 2 keeps crashing to desktop. Verification of files always shows one file that fails, but it doesn't tell me what file it is. :smallfurious:

Completely reinstall then.

The Linker
2011-04-22, 10:49 PM
Disc 2 of my CSI Season 8 set has no CSI on it, but does have Santa With Muscles, a 1996 Hulk Hogan movie.

No, I have no idea why.

It's listed as in the bottom 100 movies on IMDB, once claiming the #1 spot.

Since I have it... think I should stream it? Get some good out of it?

Neftren
2011-04-22, 10:51 PM
Completely reinstall then.

Yeah I'm doing that now. Apparently a lot of other people have been having similar issues as well.

RPharazon
2011-04-22, 11:01 PM
I played an enjoyable L4D2 match tonight with Djinn, Memnarch, and Shadowmind. However, I had a bit of a problem. You see, every minute or two, I'd disconnect with a "No steam logon" error, and one time a "Server could not authenticate Steam connection" error. It was really weird, and annoying at times, since it'd switch over to the AI for the few seconds it took me to reconnect.

Not totally game-killing, but there was a point where I disconnected while reviving Djinn, then the AI went halfway across the landscape to try to revive Memnarch (since he had more health and was in a safer position), only to be interrupted by me joining in on both Memnarch and I being engulfed by flames.

Now, I restarted Steam twice during the game, I forwarded ports, shut down all antivirus software, and I even restarted my computer. No luck, and a google search shows no solutions either.

So, any help, before I go to the personalized Steam Support guys with this? Was it just my computer hating on Memnarch's connection? Or was it something more sinister?

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-22, 11:15 PM
So, question for you guys - if I wanted to start up a LP, what's the best way of taking and storing photos?

Cogwheel
2011-04-23, 12:36 AM
So, question for you guys - if I wanted to start up a LP, what's the best way of taking and storing photos?

Photobucket, paid account. Want to borrow mine?

Spartacus
2011-04-23, 01:18 AM
Disc 2 of my CSI Season 8 set has no CSI on it, but does have Santa With Muscles, a 1996 Hulk Hogan movie.

No, I have no idea why.

It's listed as in the bottom 100 movies on IMDB, once claiming the #1 spot.

Since I have it... think I should stream it? Get some good out of it?

Er, what? That is really really odd.

Where did you acquire this disc?

The Linker
2011-04-23, 01:21 AM
Got it for my birthday (or possibly Christmas), so I have no idea beyond 'a store like Best Buy or Costco'. It certainly wasn't off Amazon or E-bay. Brand-spankin' new, shrink-wrapped, everything.

REALLY REALLY WEIRD.

Celesyne
2011-04-23, 01:24 AM
I had something similar happen to me. Bought the NCIS season 2 dvd box set and the 4th disc had no NCIS. Just the full DVD copy of Total Recall, special features and everything. Even had the NCIS front on the DVD, took the damn thing back and they laughed at me til I talked them into putting it into a dvd player. They even let me test all the DVDs in the new one before I left. Tis the only relatively good Best Buy experience I have had.

Neftren
2011-04-23, 09:10 AM
I played an enjoyable L4D2 match tonight with Djinn, Memnarch, and Shadowmind. However, I had a bit of a problem. You see, every minute or two, I'd disconnect with a "No steam logon" error, and one time a "Server could not authenticate Steam connection" error. It was really weird, and annoying at times, since it'd switch over to the AI for the few seconds it took me to reconnect.

Not totally game-killing, but there was a point where I disconnected while reviving Djinn, then the AI went halfway across the landscape to try to revive Memnarch (since he had more health and was in a safer position), only to be interrupted by me joining in on both Memnarch and I being engulfed by flames.

Now, I restarted Steam twice during the game, I forwarded ports, shut down all antivirus software, and I even restarted my computer. No luck, and a google search shows no solutions either.

So, any help, before I go to the personalized Steam Support guys with this? Was it just my computer hating on Memnarch's connection? Or was it something more sinister?

That's probably just Steam going wonky. Happens a lot to me during peak hours.

Steam Overlay -> Steam Screenshots Feature

Or FRAPS and Photobucket (or Imageshack if you're cheap)

Dragero
2011-04-23, 09:15 AM
Two similar things happened to me recently as well

1. I went to blockbuster and rented Predator (Which I had never seen before). "Huh," I said, looking at the back of the box, "It's rated PG, and......the plot description is terrible. Why is this a classic?"

What it said on the back? "George is back, and this time he has to stop his scheming mother-in-law, Ursula, and her ex-fiancée, from making his family leave the jungle. Featuring the voice of John Cleese."

Only after watching the movie did I realize that that was not Cleese voicing the murderous alien, and that there was no mother-in-law in the entire movie, and that this movie wasn't rated PG. After thinking for a while, I realized that the description was for George of the Jungle 2.

2. I bought Baldur's Gate 2+Throne of Bhaal two disk set off of amazon. The disk for BG2 was labeled as Bhaal, and the Bhaal disk was labeled as BG2! It took my nearly 20 minutes to figure out what was happening. (It works great though)

Etcetera
2011-04-23, 09:17 AM
Would anyone be up for some Killing Floor? The group hasn't been used in a while, so I thought I'd post it here.

Neftren
2011-04-23, 09:19 AM
Okay, so, due to some freak accident of nature, two separate, totally unrelated friends, got me Starcraft 2 for my birthday. Is anyone interested in a copy, or maybe swapping for a copy in exchange for a gift on Steam? Obviously I wouldn't be able to give you the hardcopy discs, but that's what digital download is for.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-23, 09:47 AM
Okay, so, due to some freak accident of nature, two separate, totally unrelated friends, got me Starcraft 2 for my birthday. Is anyone interested in a copy, or maybe swapping for a copy in exchange for a gift on Steam? Obviously I wouldn't be able to give you the hardcopy discs, but that's what digital download is for.

I'll take one. What do you want?
EDIT: Assuming whatever gift you want isn't too expensive.

Tavar
2011-04-23, 12:58 PM
I'd be interested as well. What exactly do you want for a gift?

Scuzzball
2011-04-23, 01:41 PM
Okay. I still have the following games:

Condition Zero
Deathmatch Classic
Half Life 2
Half Life 2(Yes, two copies of HL2. No idea why.)
Half Life 2 Deathmatch
Half Life 2:Episode 1
Left 4 Dead(Think someone wanted that)
Richochet
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress Classic

Send me messages on steam if you want them. First person to ask gets it.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-23, 05:06 PM
Well, better continue my Xcom playthrough in an hour. Who knows who will live and who will die?

See you at 7 PM EST!

ShortOne
2011-04-23, 08:44 PM
So I'm about to finish Portal 2, and a few people have asked for a Livestream (for unknown reasons, though presumably related to the funny noises I make.)

It'll be here (http://www.livestream.com/ravenplays?t=344698) when I get it working.

I think it's obvious that it'll contain spoilers, as I'm on Chapter 9.

Aaand I'm done. Don't worry, though. The video is saved on the stream, and there are Talks of HL2 commentary, perhaps.

Tavar
2011-04-23, 09:44 PM
Team Fortress 2

Trying to add you as a friend, going to ask for this game if it's still available.

Neftren
2011-04-23, 10:31 PM
I'll take one. What do you want?
EDIT: Assuming whatever gift you want isn't too expensive.
I'd be interested as well. What exactly do you want for a gift?

I suppose it would be too much to ask for a $50 game? Also, I won't have the second copy in hand until Monday.

Phase
2011-04-23, 10:41 PM
Hello friends!

So my good pal Jibar and I, being the amazing Druids that we are, always fight in Magicka with staffs of tree-beard.

This leads us to sometimes amass groups of tree-friends, who do our fighting for us while we relax all safe and sound in our magical domes.

One day we were walking with a few of our tree friends when they noticed a member of Magic Sting wandering the streets of Havindir:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540640198789191515/8F32F6F6E14680C9B553650002478E9B68E4937D/

They obviously called all their tree-friends, who called all their tree-friends, who calle-oh no wait they started a riot...
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540640198789198439/DD535CA7B581582AC702A0C01A77B4A103831FC4/

Notice the soggy wizard being thrown into the air.

Valaqil
2011-04-23, 11:19 PM
Double-posted.

Looks very cool though. I'd love to be able to reproduce that. A forest of ents would be amazing allies.

Celesyne
2011-04-23, 11:22 PM
My buddy and I, playing 2 player usually spend most of our time killing the crap out of each other (accidental or non) and rezzing each other. So we now both think this idea is absolutely amazing and shall work on amassing treant armies of our own.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-23, 11:23 PM
I suppose it would be too much to ask for a $50 game? Also, I won't have the second copy in hand until Monday.

Due to limited budget, I can give $30 tops, so you should probably give to the other guy.

Tavar
2011-04-23, 11:41 PM

Not at all, considering that's what it costs. Problem is, I don't know what you have, nor what you want. So...Suggestions?

Also, Happy Birthday.

Phase
2011-04-23, 11:50 PM
Double-posted.

Looks very cool though. I'd love to be able to reproduce that. A forest of ents would be amazing allies.

Because we made it happen ALL THE FRIKKEN TIME:
Here's a bunch. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phasestab/screenshot/540640198789200444)

Jibar
2011-04-24, 01:23 AM
We were Treesaer's Legion.
We wouldn't even go on if somebody lost their Tree Staff. We'd restart and fight until they survived with it.
And God damn it, it worked. You reach a point eventually where you're summoning trees faster than they can kill them and it all works out swell.

This just in, Erik Wolpaw is insane. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI)

Scuzzball
2011-04-24, 11:21 AM
This just in, Erik Wolpaw is insane. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI)

I want to meet this man. And work at valve.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-24, 11:54 AM
Speaking of wizards, an update on the Xcom:

1. Encountered snakemen and their demon masters. We had hoped to reduce landing casualties by deploying a tank first, but the snakemen were cunning, and shot the tank to pieces as soon as it rolled out. So that was 500,000 down the drain, but it did succeed in the sense it drew their fire so that our recruits were able to disembark without major losses.

Phase, armed with a grenade launcher loaded with Stun Grenades, successfully took a number of the lizards captive. Turbopriest also successfully killed three demons. For their courageous actions, both were promoted to Captain. I have high hopes for them both.

In the mission immediately following, we encountered the snakemen again, this time at night. Although some of the squad expressed slight reservations (If we see snakemen, just leave. Just leave, okay? Just take the ship off so we don't all die. Because we will. Everyone will die. There will be so much dying.) we eventually made the decision to press on.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a demon appeared, crushed the tank with his bear hands, and... did something to corporal sarge. Suddenly organized retreat looked pretty good, so we shot the demon, and then attempted to subdue the corporal. Unfortunately for squaddie Worbat, the infested warrior was completely immune to the effects of the stunstick! Another demon appeared, and when we executed the zombie, a demon emerged from him as well. At this point, a decision for full retreat was made.

After that, things got pretty quiet. We recruited fresh recruits, gave them dogtags, and settled in for the long wait. There was a minor skirmish against some Floaters, but there were no notable casualties and the mission was a rousing success.

Then we spotted the wizards in orbit. After numerous attempts to bring down their ship failed, they eventually landed in Siberia, on their own initiative. We attacked, eager to take our first wizard prisoner. Sometimes the martians are led by a wizard, but this particular alien race conisted entirely of wizards, so it would be a difficult fight. The initial landing went well, and we successfully brought down one of their giant bipedal mecha without issue.

When the wizard magic took control of Vlad "Not" Vampire, we thought the trouble had begun. He instantly turned and fired no less than eight rounds into squaddie Neliel, who remained standing, and, on closer inspection, did not suffer damage. It was an excellent field test of our power armor! Phase then blasted Vlad with a stun grenade, and we were able to continue the mission and successfully brought back their wizard king alive. Now our scientists are working on designing our new magical facility, and, better yet, we have uncovered an alien lair! At the time of this report, the skyranger is en route, carrying our new secret weapon: a hovertank

MoelVermillion
2011-04-24, 12:26 PM

Well at least hes not fat! Those cookies man, that's how it gets you.

ShortOne
2011-04-24, 12:48 PM
I echo Scuzz's desires. What can be bad about a company with a lady dedicated to BUYING MORE SUGAR AND CAFFEINE?

tarbrush
2011-04-24, 01:36 PM
Okay. I still have the following games:
Left 4 Dead(Think someone wanted that)

Me and some other dude. If it's ok with the other dude, could you like toss a coin for us?

dromer
2011-04-24, 05:06 PM
Well at least hes not fat! Those cookies man, that's how it gets you.

That cookie uses Portal/Teleportation technology to contain approximately 2500% more calories per bite.

Worira
2011-04-24, 06:45 PM
That's, like, 13 Big Macs worth of calories. It's as much as two pounds of lard. That cookie has more calories than pure fat.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-24, 06:55 PM
That's, like, 13 Big Macs worth of calories. It's as much as two pounds of lard. That cookie has more calories than pure fat.

Well, yeah. I mean, it's the same technology Valve uses in all their major productions. Remember how they crammed about four years worth of memes into an eight hour game?

dromer
2011-04-24, 06:57 PM
Well, yeah. I mean, it's the same technology Valve uses in all their major productions. Remember how they crammed about four years worth of memes into an eight hour game?

...and then they put the .TAR to that .GZ and made the game four hours.

Jahkaivah
2011-04-24, 06:59 PM
That cookie uses Portal/Teleportation technology to contain approximately 2500% more calories per bite.

And they eat the whole calorie, that's 65% more calorie, per calorie.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-24, 07:37 PM
Xcom stream resumes in 30 minutes!

Hovertank destroyed. Turbopriest dead. Neliel dead. Pretty much everyone died.

Phase's squad escaped, though. Unfortunately, Phase and Dinner were both killed in the next mission. A promising recruit, Axemen, avenged both of them, but was then shot down. Woririrara was also lost.

Bayar
2011-04-24, 09:01 PM
Did the livestream stop ?

Slayn82
2011-04-24, 09:24 PM
Yeah, i'm having troubles with live stream too. Just when the game was becoming fun:smallsigh:

And, i'm replaying Morrowind. As a totally terrible imperial wizard (specialization: stealth) named Rincewind.

Cliff Racers manage to be such a nuisance - if you really start to run in the open, you can easily end up with 6 or 8 of then following you - so you have to stop and kill one by one. Or go killing then as they come by - either way, speed bumps.

Volatar
2011-04-24, 09:42 PM
Yeah, i'm having troubles with live stream too. Just when the game was becoming fun:smallsigh:

And, i'm replaying Morrowind. As a totally terrible imperial wizard (specialization: stealth) named Rincewind.

Cliff Racers manage to be such a nuisance - if you really start to run in the open, you can easily end up with 6 or 8 of then following you - so you have to stop and kill one by one. Or go killing then as they come by - either way, speed bumps.

I found a mod that does one simple thing:

Removes every Cliff Racer from existence.

Third best mod ever.

Scuzzball
2011-04-24, 11:44 PM

I used a guide to mod morrowind to look pretty. I somehow gave grass clipping. I am now stuck in that swamp near the start. I gave up after that.

Bayar
2011-04-25, 03:41 AM
I found a mod that does one simple thing:

Removes every Cliff Racer from existence.

Third best mod ever.

But you need racer plums for levitation potions.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-25, 06:23 AM
But you need racer plums for levitation potions.

Just make potions of flight, then. Bugger levitation.

Livestream appeared to have died in all respects, and it was time for bed anyway. I've got an exam in forty minutes! Why am I posting and not studying

Neftren
2011-04-25, 07:21 AM
Not at all, considering that's what it costs. Problem is, I don't know what you have, nor what you want. So...Suggestions?

Also, Happy Birthday.

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Um, I'm thinking maybe Might & Magic (Heroes) VI, but do you guys have suggestions?

Celesyne
2011-04-25, 11:27 AM
So, I have an unexpected day off, and I'm looking for some peeps to play a 4 person game o Magicka with. Be warned I am extremely skilled at friendly fire and frequently miscast spells, so if ye wish to join, please have a thick skin and be able to laugh at !!FUN!!. I'm willing to do any of the campaigns but I have not yet done Vietnam. If you'd like to play hit me up on STEAM, me name being in my sig here.

dromer
2011-04-25, 01:59 PM
Just make potions of flight, +1000 Acrobatics then. Bugger levitation.

Fixed this for you.

Tavar
2011-04-25, 03:10 PM
Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Um, I'm thinking maybe Might & Magic (Heroes) VI, but do you guys have suggestions?

How much does Starcraft 2 cost at the moment?

Neftren
2011-04-25, 03:16 PM
How much does Starcraft 2 cost at the moment?

For a straight up digital copy from the Blizzard store, I think it's $60. You can get a copy off Newegg for $50, pre-tax and shipping, so I dunno what that extra bit will cost you.

Tavar
2011-04-25, 03:31 PM
You have Magicka and it's expansion? Beyond that...not sure myself.

Neftren
2011-04-25, 04:36 PM
You have Magicka and it's expansion? Beyond that...not sure myself.

I don't have Magicka, but it'll go on sale again, so I'm in no big rush to get that. I'm just thinking ahead to preorder content. I'm mostly interested in the following games...

Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3, Might & Magic Heroes VI, Fable III, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and a few other things from my wishlist (e.g. that new LEGO Star Wars game). Not all of them are on Steam yet, unfortunately.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-25, 04:36 PM
Livestream is back and the xcom continues (http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

Spartacus
2011-04-25, 04:39 PM
As someone who just recieved X-Com on Steam, are there any patches/fixes/stuff that I should get that are not already there? Any game-destroying bugs I should know about?

Science Officer
2011-04-25, 04:58 PM
Me and some other dude. If it's ok with the other dude, could you like toss a coin for us?

I think it was you, me, and Shas Ai' Toriaa (however it's spelled. your name has an inconvenient number of syllables :smalltongue:)

I'll drop out of this, so I guess it's just between you and him then.

Neftren
2011-04-25, 05:10 PM
Strange. Interesting double post bug. Anyway. I have to figure out what I can delete off my hard drive. Hmmm...

chiasaur11
2011-04-25, 05:43 PM
As someone who just recieved X-Com on Steam, are there any patches/fixes/stuff that I should get that are not already there? Any game-destroying bugs I should know about?

Yes and yes.

Sort of.

The difficulty selector? It doesn't work. You're playing on easy unless you download X-Com util.

But for a first run, you'll want vanilla. Should be hard enough.

Tavar
2011-04-25, 06:57 PM
Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3, Might & Magic Heroes VI, Fable III, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and a few other things from my wishlist (e.g. that new LEGO Star Wars game). Not all of them are on Steam yet, unfortunately.
Getting one of those is easy(I'll probably go with MMH VI), but if we're doing the full 60 dollars that leaves 10 dollars un-accounted for.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-25, 07:06 PM
I think it was you, me, and Shas Ai' Toriaa (however it's spelled. your name has an inconvenient number of syllables :smalltongue:)

I'll drop out of this, so I guess it's just between you and him then.

I dropped out too, so it suddenly becomes very easy.

The Linker
2011-04-25, 07:29 PM

Technically you have just as many. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-25, 07:56 PM
Didn't stream Xcom tonight.

Nothing happened.

No gameplay at all.

chiasaur11
2011-04-25, 08:09 PM

Nothing happened.

No gameplay at all.

Ah, no.

I hate this part of the game.

The Silents showed up, didn't they? Don't answer, you wouldn't remember.

Gamerlord
2011-04-25, 08:43 PM

Nothing happened.

No gameplay at all.

So, how many casualties?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-25, 08:46 PM
So, how many casualties?

Since I didn't play at all tonight, we didn't encounter mind control and lose everyone, and then lose everyone again to a blaster bomb before anyone had got off the ship.

That would be TRAGIC, had it happened.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-25, 08:57 PM
Well, that would be painful.

Assuming that happened, would I have been among the passengers of that ship?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-25, 08:59 PM
Well, that would be painful.

Assuming that happened, would I have been among the passengers of that ship?

You were not aboard the first ship, and were not the last one to die after making a huge and heroic effort and singlehandedly killing no fewer than six ethereals before succumbing to about the fifth consecutive plasma into the back of your skull.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-25, 09:04 PM
You were not aboard the first ship, and were not the last one to die after making a huge and heroic effort and singlehandedly killing no fewer than six ethereals before succumbing to about the fifth consecutive plasma into the back of your skull.

Well, that is reassuring.

Perhaps the next time I should perish, you could name my character The Mage Hero, assuming that I die in a suitable manner.

Tavar
2011-04-26, 12:02 AM
So. Couple questions regarding TF2. Just obtained it due to Scuzzball.
First off, how do you chat in-game? Not voice, but with text. Enter and Tab, the usual choices, don't seem to work.

Also, any suggestions to learn decent strategy?

Penguinizer
2011-04-26, 12:04 AM
The chat button in source engine games is Y for some reason.

The Linker
2011-04-26, 12:09 AM
Yeah. Y to talk to everyone on the server, U to talk to just your team.

Silverraptor
2011-04-26, 12:29 AM
I come here with...an interesting request.

Well, my friends managed to convince me to buy the game Alien VS Predator as well as all the map expansion packs when it was 75% off, costing around $12 dollars. Unfortunately, the price is back to normal.

Now, while it is not the best game out there, it is certainly interesting and fun when you have everyone in all chat. My friends have developed a phrase before we start any games together, "May the best Bull S*** win." THe reason is because the game likes to pull the most ridiculous bull S*** against you that it leads to absolutely hilarious conversations in all voice chat softwares.

Anyways, the game itslef has relatively few players in multiplayer, and with all my friends together we make 4, ruling out any of the larger maps for any serious fun. I was wondering if anyone here would be interested, if the game goes back on sale, to buy it at their next convience so we can form our own Gitp group on it. The servers are so empty that it would seem like we have the whole game to ourselves. Also, it gets lonely when I get into the mood to play the game and none of my friends who have it are online.

So ya, that is all. AVP is quite interesting.

Grif
2011-04-26, 05:23 AM
So. Couple questions regarding TF2. Just obtained it due to Scuzzball.
First off, how do you chat in-game? Not voice, but with text. Enter and Tab, the usual choices, don't seem to work.

Also, any suggestions to learn decent strategy?

Strategy in my TF2? :smallmad:

W+M1 pyro always win the day. ALWAYS.

There are plenty of youtube video's around showing how to master a class. Memorising the map helps alot as well.

Neftren
2011-04-26, 07:25 AM
Getting one of those is easy(I'll probably go with MMH VI), but if we're doing the full 60 dollars that leaves 10 dollars un-accounted for.

Oh, um. Hm... Magicka is $13 though, so... I'll get back to you on this.

blackfox
2011-04-26, 10:15 AM
Teamwork in my TF2? :smallmad:

W+M2 pyro always win the day. ALWAYS. Fixed it for you.

Byrnbot08
2011-04-26, 10:29 AM
I have returned from the darkest places (without internet). What has happened?

Also Portal 2: I will have to go without it for a while, as my bank account is borked. Borked for a considerable period of time.

This post is to say that Byrnbot will not go on a RAEGtrip if someone spoils Portal 2 for him.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-26, 10:42 AM
Ahem.

I don't own that either, due to needing to save money for may 13th and the new MTG booster box, so...

I honestly don't care about spoilers. Hell, I watched the ending on youtube.

Anyway, Tavar, I sent you a friend request. And strategy generaly falls along these lines for non engineers or spies: Find something that isn't wearing the same color as you.

Shoot it.

Repeat.

For engies, the strategy is as follows:

Find a small, out of the way place to lurk.

Put up a dispenser.

Put up a sentry.

Upgrade the sentry to level 3.

Laugh.

And for spies, it's:

Find their engies.

Sap their engies stuff.

Backstab their engies.

Repeat.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-26, 10:50 AM
*Text edited out of the previous post*

Ahem.

If this is a spoiler of anything in Portal 2, I'm going to be extremely annoyed at you, given the repeated insistence to keep Portal 2 talk to the Portal 2 thread. Just as a heads up.

And given the placement of it, it's either a spoiler, or a rather bizarre joke. I hope it's the latter, 'cause if it's the former, that's not only inconsiderate, but just also plain rude.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-26, 10:55 AM
What are you speaking of? I'd suggest editing that out, since I thought my post through after posting and deleted that part.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-26, 10:57 AM
What are you speaking of? I'd suggest editing that out, since I thought my post through after posting and deleted that part.

Yeah...now I'm really annoyed, 'cause...well...I saw it and all. And have yet to play the damn game. I don't even know what that referenced, but...grr.

Thanks, The-Mage-King. Really appreciate it. :smallannoyed:

The-Mage-King
2011-04-26, 11:00 AM
Yeah...now I'm really annoyed, 'cause...well...I saw it and all.

Thanks, The-Mage-King. Really appreciate it. :smallannoyed:

Sorry 'bout that.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-04-26, 11:03 AM
Sorry 'bout that.

Doesn't quite cut it. Next time, when someone specifically requests that you not do something? The correct response isn't to immediately go ahead and do exactly what they specifically requested that you not do. That's just the very definition of uncool. :smallfrown:

'cause quite frankly? I'm rather irate at you right now, and will be doubly so if that related in any way to the game's ending. :smallmad:

Volatar
2011-04-26, 11:06 AM
If this is a spoiler of anything in Portal 2, I'm going to be extremely annoyed at you, given the repeated insistence to keep Portal 2 talk to the Portal 2 thread. Just as a heads up.

And given the placement of it, it's either a spoiler, or a rather bizarre joke. I hope it's the latter, 'cause if it's the former, that's not only inconsiderate, but just also plain rude.

I will also be very mad at any spoilers. Just because one person says it is ok does not mean the rest of us are ok with it.

Spoiler go in the Portal 2 thread. Period.

Cogwheel
2011-04-26, 11:21 AM
Doesn't quite cut it. Next time, when someone specifically requests that you not do something? The correct response isn't to immediately go ahead and do exactly what they specifically requested that you not do. That's just the very definition of uncool. :smallfrown:

'cause quite frankly? I'm rather irate at you right now, and will be doubly so if that related in any way to the game's ending. :smallmad:

Speaking as someone who has already had a couple things spoiled, as far as I know, it's nothing major.

Still best avoided, but not exactly big. I think.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-26, 11:39 AM
This post is to say that Byrnbot will not go on a RAEGtrip if someone spoils Portal 2 for him.

THIS POST IS TO SAY THAT I WILL DEFINATELY GO ON A RAGE TRIP.

The ragiest.

Silverraptor
2011-04-26, 11:41 AM

The ragiest.

Its all the rage these days, I hear.:smalltongue:

Byrnbot08
2011-04-26, 12:06 PM

The ragiest.

Seriously. I mean it. I do not actually give a flying [expletive] about Portal 2 and it's spolierific story right now.

What I do care about is my [expletive]ing bank account.

Now having your funds withheld due to identity problems, that's the ragiest.

Its all the rage these days, I hear.:smalltongue:

i c wut u did thar. :smalltongue:

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-26, 03:15 PM
:smallbiggrin: Just broke top 1000 on one of the Super Meat Boy maps. So happy.
Depending on how many of the scores are hacks, it might even be top 500.

Tavar
2011-04-26, 03:19 PM
Oh, um. Hm... Magicka is $13 though, so... I'll get back to you on this.

Magicka, the base game, is only 9.99, though. So, that plus heroes is ~60. At least, that's what it is on steam.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-26, 04:20 PM
Seriously. I mean it.

I don't think anyone was questioning your sincerity.

On a lighter note, Xcom time!

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-26, 04:22 PM
And strategy generaly falls along these lines for non engineers or spies: Find something that isn't wearing the same color as you.

Shoot it.

Repeat.

Odd strat for a medic.:smalltongue:

Volatar
2011-04-26, 04:24 PM

And for Pyros. Pyros shoot everyone.

blackfox
2011-04-26, 04:44 PM
Anytime anyone says 'NO SPOILERS' I am always immediately tempted to say something very stupid and very false about the game. For example, Portal 2 contains NO ACTUAL PORTALS. They just couldn't think of a better name over at Valve. >_____>

Dogmantra
2011-04-26, 04:54 PM

Rubbish. :smalltongue:

Bayar
2011-04-26, 06:05 PM
Anytime anyone says 'NO SPOILERS' I am always immediately tempted to say something very stupid and very false about the game. For example, Portal 2 contains NO ACTUAL PORTALS. They just couldn't think of a better name over at Valve. >_____>

That is so ironic. SO VERI IRONIC.

Fawkes
2011-04-26, 06:35 PM
My favorite part of Portal 2 was when Cave Johnson finally got a picture of Spider-Man.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2607/jjonahjameson.jpg

Grif
2011-04-26, 06:50 PM
Rubbish. :smalltongue:

Ubercharging enemy spies is always the key to victory. (for the other team)

mightymonarch
2011-04-26, 07:45 PM
Because we seem to have people asking how to play TF2 on here, should I write up a beginner's guide for us? Is that something you guys would interested in? So, when someone asks how to get started, we can just point to a guide and answer further questions from there?

Griever
2011-04-26, 09:40 PM

Just cross out "shoot" and replace with "ubersaw"

Done.

All is well.

Seriously.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-26, 09:45 PM
Because we seem to have people asking how to play TF2 on here, should I write up a beginner's guide for us? Is that something you guys would interested in? So, when someone asks how to get started, we can just point to a guide and answer further questions from there?

This would be good, and we could just throw it in the first post. I support this idea.

Forbiddenwar
2011-04-26, 09:58 PM

This would be good, and we could just throw it in the first post. I support this idea.

What's wrong with THIS (http://www.tf2manual.net) or This (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page)?

mightymonarch
2011-04-26, 10:17 PM
What's wrong with THIS (http://www.tf2manual.net) or This (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page)?

When I say beginner's guide, I mean something less "This is the Scout. He does..." and more "These are things you need to know before you play so you don't wind up frustrated." Stuff like "How to play Medic so your teammates won't rage at you for being new." If that makes any sense. Those guides just seem more like pure info, and not realistic gameplay advice.

Top_Hat
2011-04-26, 11:05 PM
I used a guide to mod morrowind to look pretty. I somehow gave grass clipping. I am now stuck in that swamp near the start. I gave up after that.

I may or may not have spent hours and hours on this recently. If you were using Vurt's Groundcover mod or something else for retexturing the ground, you are not supposed to include it in your mod list or the list for Morrowind Graphics Extender.

When it comes to Morrowind modding, never give up.

AlterForm
2011-04-27, 12:24 AM
When I say beginner's guide, I mean something less "This is the Scout. He does..." and more "These are things you need to know before you play so you don't wind up frustrated." Stuff like "How to play Medic so your teammates won't rage at you for being new." If that makes any sense. Those guides just seem more like pure info, and not realistic gameplay advice.

"This is the Scout. He is afraid of rainbows."

There, all you need to know.

Cave Johnson. We're done here.

Etcetera
2011-04-27, 01:38 AM

Or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o3dw38r-Mw)?

Byrnbot08
2011-04-27, 01:48 AM
This is Scout. He is afraid of rainbows very fast, and can do lots of damage by getting up close, blasting and then getting away,

This is Soldier. He is a Civilian effective at most ranges, and uses his rocket launcher to do damage by firing around the target.

This is Pyro. HeSheIt Pyro W+M1s all the time does the best damage at closer distances, and uses the flamethrower and airblast to control where people go and help his team find dashing rogues Spies

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-27, 07:38 AM
I think the moral of Xcom is that people die, and your friends will die, and they will die in horrible ways. Death is constant and inevitable, and yet...

Somehow, that makes life that much more precious. The moments we have; the scant few turns before the bomb comes through the window, or the rotinaj is mind controlled.... that's all life is. The moments before rotinaj.

You have to look at the big picture. Look at how much BRUCE has grown since the start. That's the real story here; the story of BRUCE. When the battle began, he had fourteen soldiers with pistols and rifles. Now he's got twenty eight, with laser rifles and rocket launchers and sometimes power armor. Having seven million dollars in the bank account is a regular occurance for BRUCE. Even his offspring, JAPAN BEARS is flourishing.

That's the only way to really survive in this world. You have to become a part of something bigger, more enduring, and then give everything you have to make sure it continues, just so a little bit of you lives on... because if you don't contribute to the big picture, you're already dead.

EDIT: Going to go rethink my life

EDIT2: Nevermind, watched an episode of Doctor Who, viewpoint has been reversed, I'm back to normal

Neftren
2011-04-27, 08:39 AM
So Tavar, how long are you willing to wait on SC2?

Tavar
2011-04-27, 08:46 AM
Decently long. In fact, since exams are the next two weeks, longer just might be better.

potatocubed
2011-04-27, 08:49 AM
Well, it was cheap, so I had some Adventures in ARMA II.

By which I mean I failed the marksmanship test because I'd already knocked down all the targets, dragged some schlub halfway around the camp because I couldn't activate the action menu properly, rammed a car into a concrete post, then shot my commanding officer while trying to indicate that yes, I would like to try out the anti-tank weaponry.

In this way I learned that the Arma tutorial doesn't fail you if you shoot your commanding officer - it just leaves you in the mission forever, unable to progress, trapped for eternity to dwell upon your misdeed.

Neftren
2011-04-27, 09:02 AM
Decently long. In fact, since exams are the next two weeks, longer just might be better.

Alright. I'd just like to see what new preorders may or may not appear in the next few weeks. If say, Mass Effect 3 or Battlefield 3, or Human Revolution suddenly pop up or something...

Speaking of Mass Effect 3, I'm almost done with the original Mass Effect. I have an almost perfect save file. I screwed up on Fist (accidentally had Wrex in the party) and a few other things. I also only missed about 10 paragon points in total. I'm sitting on about 5 million credits right now, and I have two sets of Spectre Master Weaponry. Finished every citadel quest, except Nassana Dantius', which I'm kinda regretting now, but hopefully it's still doable after the game ends, or without having to return to the citadel. Now I'm just grinding side-quests until I hit level 50, at which point, to Ilos, where we shall "Hold the Line!"

Byrnbot08
2011-04-27, 09:07 AM
In this way I learned that the Arma tutorial doesn't fail you if you shoot your commanding officer - it just leaves you in the mission forever, unable to progress, trapped for eternity to dwell upon your misdeed.

With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed.
Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate,
or persist in the doomed world you have created.

I'm not writing anything because I like to, it's obligatory. Obligatory!

Silverraptor
2011-04-27, 10:10 AM
EDIT2: Nevermind, watched an episode of Doctor Who, viewpoint has been reversed, I'm back to normal

That brought you back to 'normal'?:smalleek:

Tavar
2011-04-27, 10:31 AM
Alright. I'd just like to see what new preorders may or may not appear in the next few weeks. If say, Mass Effect 3 or Battlefield 3, or Human Revolution suddenly pop up or something...
Okay, but I'll be done with exams by the 9th.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-27, 11:09 AM
That brought you back to 'normal'?:smalleek:

Yeah, I definitely tend further towards idealism and humanism

chiasaur11
2011-04-27, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I definitely tend further towards idealism and humanism

Which episode?

Latest one seems more primed to get you to the proper X-Com attitude.

Pure terror.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-27, 11:43 AM
Which episode?

Latest one seems more primed to get you to the proper X-Com attitude.

Pure terror.

htmjakhioajhiotaji;hotajhoa;th;joaijht;aoenthmai;o ea

havn't seen it

stop saying things about it at all ever

chiasaur11
2011-04-27, 12:11 PM
htmjakhioajhiotaji;hotajhoa;th;joaijht;aoenthmai;o ea

havn't seen it

stop saying things about it at all ever

Saying things about what?

(The lesson from X-Com is that violent science is humanity's salvation in the event of an alien or Cthuloid invasion)

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-27, 12:24 PM
Saying things about what?

(The lesson from X-Com is that violent science is humanity's salvation in the event of an alien or Cthuloid invasion)

Doctor Who! I havn't seen the new ones

Neftren
2011-04-27, 01:34 PM
Okay, but I'll be done with exams by the 9th.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for new stuffs.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-27, 01:58 PM
"This is the Scout. He is afraid of rainbows."

There, all you need to know.

Cave Johnson. We're done here.
Darn. And here I was, with a "This is Scout. Rainbows make me cry!" all prepped to go...

chiasaur11
2011-04-27, 02:08 PM
Doctor Who! I havn't seen the new ones

Ah, sorry.

No details, then.

What episode you up to?

Seen any of the Smith ones?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-27, 04:35 PM
Xcom time! Everybody into the stream

Volatar
2011-04-27, 06:02 PM
Xcom time! Everybody into the stream

You neglected a link. You always need a link.

Dragero
2011-04-27, 06:19 PM
You neglected a link. You always need a link.

PFFFFFFTHAHAHAHAHA, Volatar hasn't memorized all of shadows personal information and web-url's. Shadow expects his loyal followers to know EVERYTHING about him.

Silverraptor
2011-04-27, 06:54 PM
PFFFFFFTHAHAHAHAHA, Volatar hasn't memorized all of shadows personal information and web-url's. Shadow expects his loyal followers to know EVERYTHING about him.

Well, its a good thing I'm not a loyal follower then.:smalltongue:

Shas aia Toriia
2011-04-27, 07:12 PM
For future reference, its http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi.

I just remember it by being livestream followed by his name. That helps. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-27, 10:55 PM
For future reference, its http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi.

I just remember it by being livestream followed by his name. That helps. :smalltongue:

Personally, I always just type "sha" into the address bar, and firefox remembers that there's only one website I visit with that as part of the title.

Well, besides my youtube, but I don't visit that as often as my livestream. Is that bad?

Anyway, tonight's battles were a total success! The only tragedy was that snakemen attacked the base, and shadowmind died two days away from graduating wizard school. However, his next recruit successfully attended a full month of school before flunking out on account of having a tiny, weak mind.

nyeyeurhnyeeeeuuhhrh, neliel, and rotinaj make an awesome psyker team though, and have been wizarding it up and murdering allens.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure if I posted Xcom, with a link, people would ask me what the link was.

Volatar
2011-04-27, 11:17 PM
EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure if I posted Xcom, with a link, people would ask me what the link was.

Do it anyways. For SCIENCE!

Bayar
2011-04-28, 04:08 AM
Neliel is such a badass, taking out a wizard supply ship singlehandedly and saving Chiasaur while eating plasma and laser like it was nothing :biggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-28, 03:37 PM
Neliel is such a badass, taking out a wizard supply ship singlehandedly and saving Chiasaur while eating plasma and laser like it was nothing :biggrin:

Speaking of which, adventures continue now! (http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

Byrnbot08
2011-04-28, 06:57 PM
My first impressions of Magicka:

It turns out, that idiots are indeed inflammable.

It also transpires, that I am an Idiot.

Arcane + Shield + Area casting + Idiot self = Bad.

Lighting+ Fire + Arcane = something awesome.

Rock + Healing + Cast on Self = Hard Rock Hallelujah.

I put on my wizard robe and M1 helmet. Feels good.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-28, 09:20 PM
My first impressions of Magicka:

It turns out, that idiots are indeed inflammable.

It also transpires, that I am an Idiot.

Arcane + Shield + Area casting + Idiot self = Bad.

Lighting+ Fire + Arcane = something awesome.

Rock + Healing + Cast on Self = Hard Rock Hallelujah.

I put on my wizard robe and M1 helmet. Feels good.

Actually, try Lightning+Cold+Arcane.

Doesn't do quiiite as much damage as fire, but slowing PLUS zap means they're almost completely paralyzed, which is worth the 10 DPS you lose

The Linker
2011-04-28, 09:22 PM
My roommate and I have found that Steam (fire + water) + Lightning + Arcane is where it's at. Soaks the enemy in water and zaps them all at the same time. Normally you can't because water + lightning can't be mixed, but steam + lightning works!

Tavar
2011-04-28, 09:28 PM
Note, if you add a cold to steam, it becomes water, and as long as the lightning is already in the spell combo with the steam, it doesn't cancel out.

Flickerdart
2011-04-28, 11:48 PM
Hm, Steam's not letting me buy With Fire and Sword, something about credit card rejecting it and a confirmation sent to my email, except that email doesn't actually exist anymore. Sent a request to Support to change it.

Byrnbot08
2011-04-29, 12:48 AM
New Magicka observations:

HOLEE DOOLEE, BOMB-PIRATE GOBLINS. [expletive] them, those grenade spamming, self-destructing little tykes.

Shield + Anything makes for bizzare and esoteric spells.

I now know why King Arthur kicked so much arse with Excalibur.

What is the maximum damage cap in the game? Because I think I saw one attack's power level was A CERTAIN MEME.

Mine Jumping rawks. But don't forget to heal Dr Freeman!

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-29, 01:11 AM
Okay, so I've got less laggy instruments now and a little more play skill. I'm now officially applying for Highlander Sniper. Mabye Spy and Medic later depending on how good I feel I am with them.

Tavar
2011-04-29, 01:27 AM
New Magicka observations:

*HOLEE DOOLEE, BOMB-PIRATE GOBLINS. [expletive] them, those grenade spamming, self-destructing little tykes.

*Shield + Anything makes for bizzare and esoteric spells.

For the latter, make sure you don't do Heal+sheild on self. Really cramps your style.

For the former, here's a hint; Fire works very, very well. Try it.

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-29, 01:40 AM
Wish I could get in on that. The demo doesn't work. Or mabye that's intentional. *Coughcashcowcough*

By the way, I wonder if I can even run that. I can run the average TF2 game lag-free (Unless "average" means "gorefest"), so should this work?

Etcetera
2011-04-29, 04:02 AM
Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword...

How steep is the learning curve, and how fun (and by fun I don't mean fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun)) is it? Is the GUI easy to use and understand?

Should I buy the complete pack?

Castaras
2011-04-29, 06:03 AM
Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword...

How steep is the learning curve, and how fun (and by fun I don't mean fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun)) is it? Is the GUI easy to use and understand?

Should I buy the complete pack?

Can't comment on fire and sword, but the original Mount and Blades were awesome. You just can't count on there being any story. It's the fights that are where its at, and they are quite bloody awesome. The horseback battles are realistic and it is so much fun to run people through with lances and such.

Oh, and the lady on the Warbands cover actually wears proper armour. This is repeated throughout Mount and Blade, with the armour being sensible for everybody. Big bonus. :smallwink:

All in all, it's awesome, and I think I might have to play it again...

Dragero
2011-04-29, 06:38 AM
The player is able to join one of the 5 battling fractions, fight as a mercenary and bring his fraction to dominate Europe

I sure do loves me some battle math!

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-29, 07:16 AM
Had a base defense, raided a base and captured a commander, but before I could grab him, some ****er sent a rape seeking missile straight into one of my wizard teams. Nel, Worbat, and ??? were standing in a cluster, and the blaster bomb hit them HARD. Nel, being Nel, shouted "I AM NEL" and was thus preserved against the blast, and then mindraped the commander before we retreated to base.

Soon after, a huge battleship full of wizards landed outside the base and deployed a large attack force. A wizard mind-controlled Pestoolio and he shot Pastor in the back. The next turn, Lippi ran directly in front of Pestoolio so that Vlad could heal Pastor while Pestoolio fired no less than nine lasers into Lippi's balls, which were huge enough to sustain only minor damage. After the wizards were defeated, Pestoolio was never found. Since he was last seen in a closet, we presume that he is still somewhere in the base, no longer mind controlled, but too embarrassed to rejoin society.

This morning, I ran some practice missions, in which Nel and her Wizard Squad raided a handful of floater ships. It turns out to be hilarious, if time consuming, to mind control a dozen floaters, disarm them, and then line them up in front of your warriors. Don't order anyone to shoot; they'll shoot automatically if any of the aliens tries to move. Then you just keep ending your turn, daring them to so much as twitch. This trains your warriors reflexes, so on the battlefield, they'll be more likely to return fire on the enemy's turn

Gamerlord
2011-04-29, 07:27 AM
I played the demo, controls were awful, but otherwise it was good.

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-29, 03:19 PM
Wow, the Huntsman is surprisingly good. At first I was worried about accuracy, what with the no scope and all, but after you get used to the projectile drop it's an excellent weapon. Will definitely be relying on the vanilla Rifle for longer-range engagements, however.

NeoVid
2011-04-29, 06:07 PM
It's much better than most people believe, and it's a ton of fun. I do have to admit the regular rifle is better, but I still don't enjoy using it.

Dogmantra
2011-04-29, 06:11 PM
The Huntsman rewards a more Spy-like playstyle, creeping around, getting kills because you're in a weird spot, not because you're good at aiming. Baiting corners then tauntkilling is also a great move. In my prime, I could get plenty of kills with upwards of 50% being tauntkills on that thing.

Gamerlord
2011-04-29, 06:19 PM
I like the Sydney Sleeper personally, but that may be because the main weakness (No headshots) is irrelevant for me because I have such awful aim :smalltongue: .

Dragero
2011-04-29, 06:32 PM
Dammit dammit dammit

I somehow messed up steam so that I had to reinstall it, but I was able to save my steamapps folder (The one with a few gigs of games in it), but now steam isn't recognizing that fact that these games are installed in steamapps the steam root folder.

Anybody else have a similar issue to this? I justed deleted clientregistry.blob, so I'll report back after steam boots to see if it worked.....