PDA

View Full Version : [Steam] Thread XXI: 65% More Thread, Per Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Byrnbot08
2011-04-29, 06:38 PM
Tried the Sydney Sleeper post patch:

I find the no headshots an acceptable loss for ranged Jarate, and the faster charge up now means more yellow rain everywhere.

The fastest way to kill people is to get a moderate charged shot, marking them, then go for a quick no-scope. That's about 150-180 damage in about 10 seconds or less. Worse than the normal rifle, but more forgiving in terms of aim.

One of the things the Sleeper is good at, is killing medic combos. Marking either (or both,) of the targets can even the odds. Killing them outright also helps greatly.

People look down on the Sleeper for it's reduced capacity to kill via cranial intrusion. I look up to it's remarkable Jarate power; shoot your friends when scoped. If they are Spies, they will be marked. If they are friendly, then they are safe.

I still miss the penetration trait, even though it was accidental. Makes me wish for a rifle that actually does penetration damage through multiple enemies, as it's main selling point. Perfect for hallways.

Neftren
2011-04-29, 06:42 PM
Dammit dammit dammit

I somehow messed up steam so that I had to reinstall it, but I was able to save my steamapps folder (The one with a few gigs of games in it), but now steam isn't recognizing that fact that these games are installed in steamapps the steam root folder.

Anybody else have a similar issue to this? I justed deleted clientregistry.blob, so I'll report back after steam boots to see if it worked.....

Just leave the files there. When you go to install a game that you've already downloaded, Steam will recognize that the files are already there, and will probably only download say, an updated client.dll.

Dragero
2011-04-29, 06:54 PM
Well this is strange, and very tedious.

Clientregistry did nothing, but it seems like:

A) I can make steam realized that my games are still there by telling it to install the games I want, and it will re-add my games. Takes a couple minutes, but it's better than re-downloading everything.

B) I lost my source files, so I'll have to reinstall all my source crap......not TERRIBLE I guess... Oh wait, that's 50gb worth of stuff (That I never really use anyways.....) I'll reinstall Hat Economy Simulator 2, but that might be it......Maybe CSS. Maybe.

Gah, Ninja-help!

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-29, 09:54 PM
Whew! Sorry I failed to stream tonight; I've been moving out of my dorm

(HELLO GOOD INTERNET I MISSED YOU)

Unfortunately, I havn't quite worked out how to run the internet to the room I'll be keeping my computer in over the summer (My mother set HER computer up in my old spot. Curse her, she knew it was the nicest place! I even drilled HOLES in the FLOOR so I could run a LAN cable through the basement and it'd be nice and tidy! Ugggggh spot theft) so it may be a few days before I can stream again (my compy can't do wireless unless I buy a new adapter and besides ugh wireless disgusting)

Snow Leopard
2011-04-30, 02:58 AM
Hi guys,

I joined the Giant in The Playground Group as Inara (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025266736) and I have several games: TF2, L4D 1 & 2 and Killing Floor among them.

See you in the games then :smallsmile:

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-30, 09:16 AM
Okay, so I want to try and go into map making. And it is confusing.

Where do I find the files for Team Fortress 2? How do I make stuff other than generic blocks? Can I get it tested for the ChHa server? Can anyone give me a little help?

Gamerlord
2011-04-30, 09:56 AM
Okay, so I want to try and go into map making. And it is confusing.

Where do I find the files for Team Fortress 2? How do I make stuff other than generic blocks? Can I get it tested for the ChHa server? Can anyone give me a little help?

Here is a general guide on Team Fortress 2 mapmaking. (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Level_Creation)

Neftren
2011-04-30, 12:45 PM
Yaaaaay! I finished Mass Effect! Now to replay Mass Effect 2! :smallbiggrin:

Treayn
2011-04-30, 12:50 PM
Mapmaking for TF2 isn't hard at all! If you have any specific questions, just ask me.
[hr]

Just a heads up to everyone that I haven't talked to in this thread for a while: TF2 crashes pretty often on my computer now, so I really don't get on the game much anymore. So if you saw me on yesterday... I crashed twice in game.

Neftren
2011-04-30, 01:21 PM
Anyone here have any extra free copies of Portal (1) lying about? My friend wants to get in on this mind-boggling physics affair.

tarbrush
2011-04-30, 01:48 PM
Yup. Who do you want it sent to?

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-30, 02:20 PM
Mapmaking for TF2 isn't hard at all! If you have any specific questions, just ask me.

Okay. *Gasp*

Are textures only visible ingame? How do I make rounded walls? Is there a way to make a floor that bounces players back up when they fall? Do payload bombs have to have visible tracks? How do I edit gravity? How do I get to the skybox editor?

Volatar
2011-04-30, 02:44 PM
Okay. *Gasp*

Are textures only visible ingame? How do I make rounded walls? Is there a way to make a floor that bounces players back up when they fall? Do payload bombs have to have visible tracks? How do I edit gravity? How do I get to the skybox editor?

A lot of your questions can probably be answered here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

Neftren
2011-04-30, 02:59 PM
Yup. Who do you want it sent to?

Friend's ID is here (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026118185).

tarbrush
2011-04-30, 03:21 PM
I've friended him, so tell him to accept Tarbrush and I'll pop it over.

Gamerlord
2011-04-30, 03:32 PM
Well.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558655328266239978/B046FE51F9F1F9D2E87124D0AC6A9CCE163F8F1B/
That is an odd glitch. WARNING: BIG IMAGE!

The Linker
2011-04-30, 03:35 PM
The %killername% %NEMESISNAME% thing? Happens to me a lot, though usually only on the first death on a server.

Gamerlord
2011-04-30, 03:36 PM
The %killername% %NEMESISNAME% thing? Happens to me a lot, though usually only on the first death on a server.

I wonder what causes it.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-30, 06:29 PM
Xcom time! Go go go!

Sleverin
2011-04-30, 07:28 PM
So what's all this about newer streamlined graphics on Tf2 eh?

Neftren
2011-04-30, 11:15 PM

I think it's just more optimized graphics (computationally speaking). It all looks mostly the same to me.

Treayn
2011-04-30, 11:19 PM
Okay. *Gasp*
Are textures only visible ingame?

Textures are visible in hammer editor.

1) I'm assuming you know how to make a brush, so do it.

2) Then, on the top menu bar, click "View -> 3D Textured polygons"

You should have textures then!

How do I make rounded walls?

That's a pretty complicated subject, and there's a bunch of ways to do it, for varying smoothness. I'll tell you the basic way for now.

1) Click the brush tool on the left.

2) On the lower right of your screen, there should be a box that says stuff about "Categories and Objects". Click on the objects box, and pick "Arch" on the dropdown list.

3) Now create a brush and press enter.

You'll be shown a box with a bunch of different options, like width, offset, angle degrees. There's a preview button that lets you preview the brush before you actually create it, so it should be self-explanatory.

Is there a way to make a floor that
bounces players back up when they fall?

If we're talking about TF2, not an actual bounce, but you can fake it.

1) Create a brush on/slightly above the floor.

2) Go to the texture browser, find the "Trigger" texture (tools/toolstrigger), and texture the whole brush with it.

3) now select the brush, and press Ctrl-T. A box should pop up.

4) In the upper left of the box, it should say "func_detail". Change that to "trigger_push", and click apply.

5) Then in the box below that, there should be parameters for "Push Direction" and "Speed of Push". I think it explains itself from there.

Do payload bombs have to have visible tracks?

No, they don't. Valve puts track props in their maps so it doesn't look like the cart is floating over nothing.

How do I edit gravity?

In TF2? Not sure if you can edit gravity. I think that may only be something toggled in the actual game server as a gimmick, with SourceMod.

How do I get to the skybox editor?

1) First, you need to find a skybox texture. You can view all the skybox textures here (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List), or type in "sky" in the texture browser.

2) Once you find the one you like, go to "Map -> Map Properties", on the top menu bar.

3) In one of the parameters it should say "Skybox Texture Name". Put the exact name in.

The sky you chose should now appear in the game!

There you go.

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-01, 04:10 AM
I mean the skybox editor, not the skybox. I'm trying to make a map IN SPACE!, so I need to make a custom starfield skybox. Preferably with the earth below it.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-01, 04:15 AM
I mean the skybox editor, not the skybox. I'm trying to make a map IN SPACE!, so I need to make a custom starfield skybox. Preferably with the earth below it.

...I could say something here, but then people would be angrier at me.

The Linker
2011-05-01, 04:16 AM
Look up CTF_Moonwalk. It has a low-gravity setting, so I know it's possible. It's a Source Engine thing, I think. I was able to fiddle with that in G-Mod.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-01, 06:32 AM

I think it's just more optimized graphics (computationally speaking). It all looks mostly the same to me.

Models and polys (Pollys [Parrots?]? Polies?) are pretty much unchanged, but are now more resource efficient.

What this means to you:

More hats!
More explosions! (Michael Bay, eat your heart out.)
More hats!
Less graphics LAAAAG!
More hats!
Smoother animations!
Did we mention more hats?!

Spartacus
2011-05-01, 06:56 AM
I actually turned hats off. They are teh distracting.

Or rather, I made all hats look like the default. All hatless would be a little distracting.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-01, 08:16 AM
XCOM: UFO DEFENSE: Has been concluded!

FINAL EVENTS:

The Avenger lands on the surface of mars

The hovertanks glide out, acting as spotter drones

Enemy sectoids are located

Our strike team of wizards uses mind control; each enemy located promptly arms a grenade and then drops it at his feet.

Colonel Neoswedish fires a guided nuke at the main pyramid, opening a large enough hole for our hovertanks to glide in.

Everyone enters the pyramid and begins their descent into the catacombs

Once inside, we encounter all manner of wizards, blobs, and demons.

More nukes take care of these.

Djinn advances alone down a long corridor

A demon eats one of our tanks.

Djinn moves up a ventilation shaft

The Alien Brain is in front of him, as are four angry wizards.

Turbopriest and his Turbosister work as a wizard team, and mind control the Brain's honor guard

The Honor Guard begin executing each other, under the influence of the Turbosiblings

A stray shot hits the Brain and destroys it

Inaccuracy, once the great enemy of Man, proves to be its savior

Volatar
2011-05-01, 12:00 PM

IIRC the skybox is just a texture.

If its just a texture, the editor you are looking for is called Photoshop.

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-01, 12:08 PM
And TF2 keeps crashing on me. :smallsigh:

REALLY hope I can get this thing replaced this year. Or at least get some new heat sinks or something. In the meantime, keep me off the Highlander roster.

Treayn
2011-05-01, 12:18 PM

Oh, the skybox is just a texture, like volatar said. You'll have to make such a thing in Photoshop.

Look up CTF_Moonwalk. It has a low-gravity setting, so I know it's possible. It's a Source Engine thing, I think. I was able to fiddle with that in G-Mod.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about map!

There *IS* a way to change the gravity settings around.

1) Make a brush, and put the "Trigger" texture on it.

2) Press Ctrl-T, and change "func_detail" to "trigger_gravity"

3) There should be a parameter called "gravity" in there. setting it to "1" means normal gravity, "0" means no gravity, etc.

Scuzzball
2011-05-01, 01:18 PM
...I could say something here, but then people would be angrier at me.

Don't worry, I can say it.

I'm in spaaaaaaaaaaaace!

The-Mage-King
2011-05-01, 01:23 PM
Don't worry, I can say it.

I'm in spaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Thank you. No, really, thank you.

You get a free "please stop doing that" to use on ChHa towards me.

Phase
2011-05-01, 01:42 PM
We really shouldn't need to earn special favors in order for you to listen to polite suggestions, Mage King.

Neftren
2011-05-01, 01:50 PM
Models and polys (Pollys [Parrots?]? Polies?) are pretty much unchanged, but are now more resource efficient.

What this means to you:

More hats!
More explosions! (Michael Bay, eat your heart out.)
More hats!
Less graphics LAAAAG!
More hats!
Smoother animations!
Did we mention more hats?!

I'm sorely tempted to turn off hats at this point.
More explosions are always good.
See my first line.
I'm already at 1680x1050 Max Settings @60fps, so it doesn't matter much to me there.
See my third line.
See my fourth line.
See my fifth line.

:smallbiggrin:

Dragero
2011-05-01, 02:40 PM
My first ever game of Europa Universalis 3 went as so:

"Hmmmm, Scotland looks nice"

"Hey, I can declare wars, how about I take over Ireland?"

"HAHAHHAHA ALL YOUR POTATOES ARE BELONGING TO U-Oh dammit that last province belonged to england......I can hold them off"

"Well, there goes mainland Scotland"

"They totally Annexed us....great."

Moral of the story: England has a big army.

Neftren
2011-05-01, 03:46 PM
Mass Effect 2, on Insanity Difficulty? Ugh. So hard. :smallfurious:
I keep running out of bullets!

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-01, 03:47 PM
We really shouldn't need to earn special favors in order for you to listen to polite suggestions, Mage King.

As usual, Phase is extremely correct.

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-01, 03:50 PM

I know. That kinda put me off.

"Ahh, time to get back to the ser-WHAT THE HELL I NEED AMMO NOW?"

Really. Even though they have a fluff explanation for it, why didn't they just use the Geth tech to, I dunno, upgrade their original heat sinks?

Byrnbot08
2011-05-01, 03:55 PM
Moral of the story: England has a big army.

I would be inclined to say that the moral of the story is:

Don't mess with England, they have a big army for such a tiny nation,
Do steal all the Irish potatoes, they have too many anyway,
Don't lose Scotland, because you have the high ground,
Do play the French against the English, because French Frogs vs English Pigs is historic.
All hail Prussia. Mighty is he. "Have that line stricken from the logs. Immediately."

chiasaur11
2011-05-01, 04:35 PM
XCOM: UFO DEFENSE: Has been concluded!

FINAL EVENTS:

The Avenger lands on the surface of mars

The hovertanks glide out, acting as spotter drones

Enemy sectoids are located

Our strike team of wizards uses mind control; each enemy located promptly arms a grenade and then drops it at his feet.

Colonel Neoswedish fires a guided nuke at the main pyramid, opening a large enough hole for our hovertanks to glide in.

Everyone enters the pyramid and begins their descent into the catacombs

Once inside, we encounter all manner of wizards, blobs, and demons.

More nukes take care of these.

Djinn advances alone down a long corridor

A demon eats one of our tanks.

Djinn moves up a ventilation shaft

The Alien Brain is in front of him, as are four angry wizards.

Turbopriest and his Turbosister work as a wizard team, and mind control the Brain's honor guard

The Honor Guard begin executing each other, under the influence of the Turbosiblings

A stray shot hits the Brain and destroys it

Inaccuracy, once the great enemy of Man, proves to be its savior

And then TFTD started.

Total human extinction. A month of terrible scores, then a TPK.

Jibar
2011-05-01, 05:13 PM
Jibar's Time in Mount and Blade: Warband's Multiplayer

"Okay, so I really liked the first game and Warband's gone up cheap. Whew, things seem different. Let's give online a goooooooOOOOOOHHHHHH WHY"

"So I run through this door and he cuts me down. I go through that door that guy stabs me. I stay in spawn and archers shoot me. I stand near the doors, my own cavalry runs me down."

"Yes, yesssss, NOW I HAVE THE ARRoh look I'm dead. Big fat use you were."

"So the point of siege is one team is playing TF2 and the other team is playing Counterstrike, but with swords, and this is Helm's Deep. Like... Helm's Deep. Complete with sarcastically shockingly ineffective ladders."

"ARE YOU A FRIEND"
*Teamkill*
"NOW YOU'RE A CORPSE"
*Teamkill again*
"OH GOD I'M SO SORRY"

"Now I have the cavalry! Now I shall ride for ruin and the world's endingwhy am I stuck on my battlements. It's not that far, I can jump that. I can WOAH WOAH WHY IS MY HORSE TELEPORTING THROUGH TIME AND SPACE OH GOD GET OFF GET OFF OW FALL DAMAGE ON THE FLOOR."
*half-dead*
"Okay, but where's my horsehe's in midair. Flying. Horse. Horse no ride sky."
*archer shoots him*
"And now you're dead. Why horse. I loved you."

"So I can't kill anyone, the games lags out if there's more than 60 people on screen, the only map I seem to play is a Lord of the Rings custom map, and I kind of hate the people playing. I shall play only two more hours and that's it."

Dispozition
2011-05-01, 08:24 PM

I never found it that hard. You need to use the weapons at what they're good at. SMG takes down shields like nothing else, Pistol is great against armour, and sniper is just for cheap kills or huge damage.

I can't say much about the shotgun and rifle since I've only gone through as a sniper (:

Also use powers and team powers properly and as often as you can. Ammo shouldn't really be a problem except for your main gun, which in my case was sniper. Then you just need to learn to ration it (:

chiasaur11
2011-05-01, 09:18 PM
I never found it that hard. You need to use the weapons at what they're good at. SMG takes down shields like nothing else, Pistol is great against armour, and sniper is just for cheap kills or huge damage.

I can't say much about the shotgun and rifle since I've only gone through as a sniper (:

Also use powers and team powers properly and as often as you can. Ammo shouldn't really be a problem except for your main gun, which in my case was sniper. Then you just need to learn to ration it (:

The shotgun is good against faces. As is the elbow.

I love Vanguard.

SirSigfried
2011-05-02, 12:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0O7hMbSSo&feature=feedu

BEST VIDEO EVER!!!! SCARRED BY AWESOMENESS!!!

Grif
2011-05-02, 01:02 AM

Assault rifles are good against everything. Best weapon a soldier could have. :smallwink:

Byrnbot08
2011-05-02, 02:37 AM
The shotgun is good against faces. As is the elbow.

I love Vanguard.

"You just got Sarge'd"

Technically, using elbows/fist/gunbutt is effective against anything short of a Thresher Maw. And even then, I think someone's done it just to be sure.

Assault rifles are good against everything. Best weapon a soldier could have. :smallwink:

But you have so little ammo for the AR; either it's pointlessly inaccurate/has so little reserve ammunition.

It's like a [powerful weapon that is to be reserved for special usage]. Use it too often, and you'll run out of it when you really need it. Use it too rarely, and it's horrendously difficult.

Winthur
2011-05-02, 02:52 AM

Oh wow, it's this guy who stopped making funny videos eons ago...

...and this is actually a little amusing. At least better than the normal episodes.

Spartacus
2011-05-02, 03:43 AM

That was fairly amusing.

Neftren
2011-05-02, 08:40 AM

I'm going through as a Soldier. My most problematic ammunition has been shotgun and sniper. The Assault Rifle isn't that great at low levels. It's just too inaccurate without upgrades. I'm waiting until I get the Geth Pulse Rifle to switch over.

But you have so little ammo for the AR; either it's pointlessly inaccurate/has so little reserve ammunition.

It's like a [powerful weapon that is to be reserved for special usage]. Use it too often, and you'll run out of it when you really need it. Use it too rarely, and it's horrendously difficult.

I'm a good shot with the AR, and I'm pretty good at conserving ammunition. Once I get the Geth Pulse Rifle, I'll be set.

chiasaur11
2011-05-02, 10:13 AM
"You just got Sarge'd"

Technically, using elbows/fist/gunbutt is effective against anything short of a Thresher Maw. And even then, I think someone's done it just to be sure.

The Mattock usually has enough to go around.

And the Revenant never runs out.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-02, 12:26 PM
And the Revenant never runs out.

Amen, brother, amen!

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-02, 06:14 PM
Going to XCOM around 8 PM tonight. May be late; I'll fire off an event via the official livesteam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight)

If you havn't joined yet, please do! It's public, so you don't need an invite. Feel free to invite anyone you think would enjoy Movie Night/Let's Plays.

Since college is over, I have friends again, and possibly a job in the near future, so I'm thinking I'll move xcom night to just a few nights a week instead of every day.

Tavar
2011-05-02, 07:00 PM
So...problem with TF2 tonight. Tried playing, and for some reason my mouse wasn't working right. Instead of turning/targeting it instead acted just like the wasd keys normally function.

The Linker
2011-05-02, 07:09 PM
What, so you'd move your mouse forward and your character would move forward?

That sounds trippy as hell and I'd totally try that.

Tavar
2011-05-02, 07:23 PM
But you now can't turn around.

And, well, restarting seems to have fixed the problem.

The Linker
2011-05-02, 07:27 PM
You just need to make WASD represent look up/turn left/look down/look right, respectively. :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-02, 07:49 PM
Going to XCOM around 8 PM tonight. May be late; I'll fire off an event via the official livesteam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight)

If you havn't joined yet, please do! It's public, so you don't need an invite. Feel free to invite anyone you think would enjoy Movie Night/Let's Plays.

Since college is over, I have friends again, and possibly a job in the near future, so I'm thinking I'll move xcom night to just a few nights a week instead of every day.

All right, I'm doing this now, here, in the present

Grif
2011-05-03, 12:42 AM
Amen, brother, amen!

Exactly this. This is why the Revenant is the best gun bar any DLC goodies Bioware churns out. (even then I use Revenant the most since it is just that good).

Arbitrarity
2011-05-03, 01:10 AM
The trick to never running out of ammo is to spam your powers as they go off cooldown. If you're an engineer or Sentinel, you'll deal tons of damage, if you're an Adept, floating enemies take double damage. If you're an infiltrator, you'll get bonus damage and can reposition easily. If you're a Vanguard, you're hopefully picking up ammo as you charge around. If you're a soldier, you hit every shot, and dealt double damage.
After that, USE EVERY WEAPON. Sometimes, you're in a long range situation, so you snipe. Move up a bit. Use AR and heavy pistol. Move up a bit. AR some more. Charge in and shotgun some people. Enemies flanking you? Switch to shotgun and clean them up.
The major problem I find is underusing the shotgun as a soldier, or spamming SMG a bit too much.

Grif
2011-05-03, 03:22 AM
The trick to never running out of ammo is to spam your powers as they go off cooldown. If you're an engineer or Sentinel, you'll deal tons of damage, if you're an Adept, floating enemies take double damage. If you're an infiltrator, you'll get bonus damage and can reposition easily. If you're a Vanguard, you're hopefully picking up ammo as you charge around. If you're a soldier, you hit every shot, and dealt double damage.
After that, USE EVERY WEAPON. Sometimes, you're in a long range situation, so you snipe. Move up a bit. Use AR and heavy pistol. Move up a bit. AR some more. Charge in and shotgun some people. Enemies flanking you? Switch to shotgun and clean them up.
The major problem I find is underusing the shotgun as a soldier, or spamming SMG a bit too much.

Don't forget ammo powers. Soldiers have 2 kinds. (One for shields, the other for armor, both awesome.) :smallwink:

I don't miss the shotgun in ME2. At all. The insane damage the enemy puts out at higher levels makes me disinclined to charge them now.

Volatar
2011-05-03, 11:10 AM
WOAH: http://store.steampowered.com/app/72200/

I wish I had $9. This thing is now on the top of my wishlist.

That just looks so freaking cool. I could play with that for days on end.

Gamerlord
2011-05-03, 11:11 AM

Tried the demo a long time ago. Throwing Andromeda into the Milky Way is FUN :smallbiggrin: .

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-03, 12:20 PM
Throwing Andromeda into the Milky Way is FUN :smallbiggrin: .

So you're to blame! :smallfurious:
:smalltongue:

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-03, 12:50 PM

Seconded. WANT MONEY SO BAD.

Volatar
2011-05-03, 02:27 PM
Seconded. WANT MONEY SO BAD.

In the Demo I just shot an asteroid at Earth from about 3 moon orbits out. It hit New York City dead on.

This thing is very fun :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2011-05-03, 02:36 PM
In the Demo I just shot an asteroid at Earth from about 3 moon orbits out. It hit New York City dead on.

This thing is very fun :smallbiggrin:

You know who else drops asteroids on human planets?

Batarians.

Arbitrarity
2011-05-03, 03:25 PM
I don't miss the shotgun in ME2. At all. The insane damage the enemy puts out at higher levels makes me disinclined to charge them now.

Both soldiers and Vanguards are perfectly capable of using shotguns viably, since they both have some variety of slow-motion gap closer. If you're in cover near an enemy as a soldier, strafe out, Adrenaline Rush, and shoot them. If you're a vanguard, just charge like a boss (if you played LoTSB, remember the platforms from the sky on Illium with 3 regular soldiers and an engineer? I charged those as they came down. Stun two temporarily with the charge, one shot one, reload trick a second as they're burning from Inferno ammo, charge comes up, charge engineer, reload trick, hunt down last guy)

Alternatively, abuse GPS charge and one shot enemies on Insanity from mid range as a soldier (or one shot Collector Guardians at point blank)

Scuzzball
2011-05-03, 05:38 PM
For those who like the universe sandbox thing, the demo is here (http://universesandbox.com/download/).

Dragero
2011-05-03, 05:38 PM
As it turns out, my PC is nowhere near the minimum requirements to run Deus Ex: Human Revolution......This makes me sad.

Oh well, I'll just replay Deus Ex again some day soon to stave off the Dues Ex itch. For now, off to Europa 3!

Byrnbot08
2011-05-03, 06:13 PM

Batarians.

[Take your pick]

Those bugs from Starship Troopers
Many, many sides/factions in Gundam
The People's Republic of China
Moon-based rebels
Orks
Admiral Thrawn
Irate Adventurers using Cometfall
Laharl
The Scrin
The Prince from Katamari Damancy

Neftren
2011-05-03, 06:50 PM
Don't forget ammo powers. Soldiers have 2 kinds. (One for shields, the other for armor, both awesome.) :smallwink:

I actually started out with Warp Ammo. The complete solution to every type of protection out there, including flesh.

Ammo is still a problem for everything except my assault rifle. I've figured out that with some judicious use of Adrenaline Rush, the Carnifex Heavy Pistol turns into a secondary sniper of sorts. Harder to aim, but does a good bit of damage regardless.

So today, while sick, I managed to complete Garrus' recruitment mission, Grunt's recruitment mission, and Jack's recruitment mission, messed up and went to Horizon by accident, so I finished that too.

I've been using Garrus and Zaeed. Surprisingly awesome combo. Double Sniper is devastating at medium range.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-03, 07:03 PM
Double Sniper is devastating at medium range.

What's that you say? Double Sniper all the way?
What does it mean, I wonder? Popping all those heads asunder?

What does it mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

dromer
2011-05-03, 07:05 PM
What's that you say? Double Sniper all the way?
What does it mean, I wonder? Popping all those heads asunder?

You complain about the number of snipers and request they play medic?

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-03, 07:05 PM

How'd it get sniped!? HOW'D IT GET SNIPED! [/cage]

PhallicWarrior
2011-05-03, 07:59 PM
Anyone with a mac having TF2 trouble? It keeps quitting to desktop randomly in the middle of a game.

Volatar
2011-05-03, 08:08 PM
So, I mentioned Universe Sandbox.

What does Cog do?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/600/cogwin.png

So, now I can manipulate the cosmos to my will thanks to the awesomeness of Cogwheel.

I must share this somehow, though I am not sure how to do so yet. I can share endless screenshots, make music videos, create things by request (already considering doing the star system from Firefly) and many other things I haven't thought of.

Any ideas? :smallsmile:

RPharazon
2011-05-03, 08:25 PM
Heh, I bought Universe Sandbox before it was cool (aw yeah, hipster cred). Apparently a 1.0 license does not count towards a 2.0 license. The only difference is the in-built scenarios and Steam integration, so I'm cool with it.

Protip: Mess around with rings, dust, and ring creation in the context menu for planets. Nothing says "So pretty" like creating Saturnine rings around the Moon and watching them instantaneously undergo orbital decay because they all fall outside of the Moon's Hill Sphere.

Neftren
2011-05-03, 08:46 PM
Anyone with a mac having TF2 trouble? It keeps quitting to desktop randomly in the middle of a game.

Try running in Window Mode? It's a problem with Portal 2 as well.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-05-03, 09:22 PM
So, I mentioned Universe Sandbox.

What does Cog do?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/600/cogwin.png

So, now I can manipulate the cosmos to my will thanks to the awesomeness of Cogwheel.

Lucky you. Anyways, what could be better then replacing the sun with a black hole of equal size, and figuring out how long until we all die?

xp194
2011-05-03, 09:24 PM
Lucky you. Anyways, what could be better then replacing the sun with a black hole of equal size, and figuring out how long until we all die?

Just plain deleting the sun. The Solar System does /not/ like that.

Volatar
2011-05-03, 09:31 PM
Just plain deleting the sun. The Solar System does /not/ like that.

Actually, that turns out rather boring. All the planets and asteroids just shoot off in straight lines.

Gonna Google for the density of your average black hole and see what I can do :smallbiggrin:

Fawkes
2011-05-03, 09:34 PM
This isn't relevant to anything we've been discussing, but-

Before anyone asks, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

This tells the best story.

xp194
2011-05-03, 09:39 PM
Actually, that turns out rather boring. All the planets and asteroids just shoot off in straight lines.

Making the Earth mass the same as the Sun's is also fun. As is pelting Earth with Jupiter.

ShortOne
2011-05-03, 09:46 PM
COGWHEEL, THIS SPOILER IS NOT FOR YOU.

Many of us have been on the receiving end of Cog's ridiculous generosity. Many of us have wished that we could pay him back in some way, only to hear him refuse.

So Cog wants Portal 2. Individually, none of us have the money to buy Portal 2 for him. Would people be willing to chip in a few bucks each, whatever you have, to try and get to $60 for Portal 2?

Please put responses in spoilers.

Cogwheel
2011-05-03, 09:48 PM
I'm going to assume you're actually serious, though I don't know why you'd single me out.

I'll probably look very stupid in a moment.

xp194
2011-05-03, 09:49 PM
COGWHEEL, THIS SPOILER IS NOT FOR YOU.

Many of us have been on the receiving end of Cog's ridiculous generosity. Many of us have wished that we could pay him back in some way, only to hear him refuse.

So Cog wants Portal 2. Individually, none of us have the money to buy Portal 2 for him. Would people be willing to chip in a few bucks each, whatever you have, to try and get to $60 for Portal 2?

Please put responses in spoilers.

I would certainly not be adverse to throwing in a few Pound-dollars, but I'm not sure how we're do it, or.... is Cog's computer capable of running Portal 2? It'd be a shame to get him a gift he couldn't play.

Cogwheel
2011-05-03, 09:51 PM
A spoilered response. Yeah, okay, not for me.

Time to start one-upping Deus Ex on crazy conspiracy theories.

Volatar
2011-05-03, 10:04 PM
So, I set the sun to be the mass and size of an Intermediate-mass black hole.

Event + 12 hours: Mercury enters the Roche Limit of the Sol Black Hole and is literally torn apart. The debris from Mercury begins the formation of the dust cloud around the black hole. (This is not simulated by the game, though it does provide the Roche Limit)

Event + 30 hours: Venus suffers the same fate as Mercury.

Event + 48 hours: Earth, home to approximately 7 billion sentient creatures becomes the latest addition to the dust cloud. Oh darn.

Event + 100 hours: Mars death.

Event + 120 hours: First asteroids from the Asteroid Belt reach the black hole.

Event + 15 days: Over 90% of the Asteroid Belt sucked into the black hole (or orbit of the black hole)

Event + 24 days: Jupiter death.

Event + 58 days: Saturn death.

Event + 6 months: Uranus death.

Event + 11 months: Neptune death.

Event + 361 days: Pluto death.

The Solar System is no more.

Shas aia Toriia
2011-05-03, 10:08 PM
I find your inclusion of Pluto in there odd. Why include all the planets, but then also one of the solar system's many planet-like bodies?
It just seems peculiar that you wouldn't just include planets only, or at least more other random bodies. Yeah, that was a bad joke.

So where would money be sent to at any rate?

Volatar
2011-05-03, 10:38 PM
I find your inclusion of Pluto in there odd. Why include all the planets, but then also one of the solar system's many planet-like bodies?
It just seems peculiar that you wouldn't just include planets only, or at least more other random bodies. Yeah, that was a bad joke.

I included the entire contents of the asteroid belt (which incuded 3 or 4 named comets and asteroids) :smalltongue:

Tavar
2011-05-03, 10:39 PM
So, on some Team Fortress 2 servers I've seen messages like '[Person Name] was slapped by [Admin Name]'. What exactly does that mean? I figure it's something negative, but I honestly don't know.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-03, 10:41 PM
So, on some Team Fortress 2 servers I've seen messages like '[Person Name] was slapped by [Admin Name]'. What exactly does that mean? I figure it's something negative, but I honestly don't know.

A slap is an admin command that is used to punish players. It usually manifests in the form of damage and a physical push (Sort of like being hit with a small grenade or melee weapon.)

Sometimes slaps deal no damage, though, in which case it's a silly warning. Or a less direct kill, if they were standing on a cliff at the time

The Linker
2011-05-03, 10:43 PM

Getting slapped just makes your character move in a random direction slightly (including upwards and downwards directions). Get slapped repeatedly in quick succession and you start jittering about like you're having a seizure.

FOR EVERYONE BUT COGWHEEL'S EYES ONLY:

I'm just afraid that he's going to genuinely dislike getting a gift, of any sort. That seems to just be his way -- moreso than anyone else, he does not like playing a game someone else got him because he starts to feel horribly guilty. Not for any sensical reason (his words paraphrased, unless I'm misremembering), but it's there. Some sort of compulsion that's related to why he, well, gives gifts out all the time.

Volatar

I generally only use Slaps on ChHa for fooling around. I use Smite for actual warnings. :smallbiggrin:

The-Mage-King
A slap is an admin command that is used to punish players. It usually manifests in the form of damage and a physical push (Sort of like being hit with a small grenade or melee weapon.)

Sometimes slaps deal no damage, though, in which case it's a silly warning. Or a less direct kill, if they were standing on a cliff at the time

Given that it was an admin slapping himself... I'd say it was a way to jump higher.

Because it was Hyuga.

Cogwheel
2011-05-03, 10:59 PM
So, I set the sun to be the mass and size of an Intermediate-mass black hole.

Event + 12 hours: Mercury enters the Roche Limit of the Sol Black Hole and is literally torn apart. The debris from Mercury begins the formation of the dust cloud around the black hole. (This is not simulated by the game, though it does provide the Roche Limit)

Event + 30 hours: Venus suffers the same fate as Mercury.

Event + 48 hours: Earth, home to approximately 7 billion sentient creatures becomes the latest addition to the dust cloud. Oh darn.

Event + 100 hours: Mars death.

Event + 120 hours: First asteroids from the Asteroid Belt reach the black hole.

Event + 15 days: Over 90% of the Asteroid Belt sucked into the black hole (or orbit of the black hole)

Event + 24 days: Jupiter death.

Event + 58 days: Saturn death.

Event + 6 months: Uranus death.

Event + 11 months: Neptune death.

Event + 361 days: Pluto death.

The Solar System is no more.

Nice job breaking it, hero.

Dispozition
2011-05-04, 12:26 AM
The sm_slap command is awesome. It defaults to no damage and a physical push that if use in quick succession (through a bind or awesome console spam) can make a singular, or multiple people fly around the map at random. You can attach a damage amount to it ranging from 1 to 9,999,999,999,999,999 or more (:

I normally use it during fun rounds as a laugh or randomly just because.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 01:44 AM
Cog is Japanese, if I remember correctly. Supposedly, they have a complex gifting system consisted of the recipient alternately refusing the gift and insisting that it is no problem, and the gift-giver insisting that the gift is necessary and to take it, finally ending with the recipient accepting grudgingly and receiving the gift.

Or something like that.

I'm not entirely sure of the validity of the above statement.

Or that Cogwheel may or may not be opening these spoilers.

In any case I think I can only hope he accepts your gifts in good stead.

In other non-Cogwheel conspiracy related points, anyone else here play Magicka/would be up for wizardry on Friday? I'm getting an itch to use Thunderblades and cross the streams.

PS: The-Mage-King, Hyuga's always slappin' himself. It's his 'thing', the masochist. He doesn't tend to abuse it, and generally hs a key bound to slap himself to pass the time on slow server days.

Drascin
2011-05-04, 01:53 AM
In other non-Cogwheel conspiracy related points, anyone else here play Magicka/would be up for wizardry on Friday? I'm getting an itch to use Thunderblades and cross the streams.

Well, it's been a while since I played Magicka and I can't remember a damn command, but depending on the hour I might be willing to try.

Surgeon's warning: Wild Drascins are known to spam multi-elemental beams and burning grease when startled. Handle with care.

Dispozition
2011-05-04, 01:53 AM
PS: The-Mage-King, Hyuga's always slappin' himself. It's his 'thing', the masochist. He doesn't tend to abuse it, and generally hs a key bound to slap himself to pass the time on slow server days.

I think about half the admins have a slap bound to something. I know I have one bound to slap all and one bound to slap Arb. Because Arb is a terrible pocket and deserves to be slapped always.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-04, 04:37 AM

Given that he was also making himself invisible and running around as a Fan o' War scoot...

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 04:45 AM
Given that he was also making himself invisible and running around as a Fan o' War scoot...

If he is actively participating in battles, I'd have to say that debuffing enemies whilst invisible and slapping himself to higher positions is admin abuse.

Politely tell him to refrain from doing that, then if he persists, lodge a complaint with Potato or someone with access to the server. PM him on Steam and tell him to quit it if he is a friend.

I hope you are not simply taking abuse and not saying anything, because that would be bad. Masato has a sense of humour, but it should be exercised appropriately.

Dispozition
2011-05-04, 05:45 AM
Alternatively, travel back to days of yore where djinn actually played on the server...And gave unlimited double jump to scout, and have the sandman no cooldown but as a penalty it had no velocity. I almost made 1000 jumps that day, but then he teleported me and I lost >:

Alternatively, go back to days of old when we had unlimited ammo and invisibility on the server, not just alpha 0. So everyone was an invisible scout with constantly shooting FaN. Good days those.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-04, 06:22 AM
If he is actively participating in battles, I'd have to say that debuffing enemies whilst invisible and slapping himself to higher positions is admin abuse.

Politely tell him to refrain from doing that, then if he persists, lodge a complaint with Potato or someone with access to the server. PM him on Steam and tell him to quit it if he is a friend.

I hope you are not simply taking abuse and not saying anything, because that would be bad. Masato has a sense of humour, but it should be exercised appropriately.

Oh no. He was also messing with the gravity, for great FUN! all around. As in, called for a grav. vote. Several times. And went with the majority vote (hint: it wasn't normal or high).

As for the invisible thing, the fan was still visible, so there was little trouble trying to shoot him, and he was being intentionally ineffectual in his attacks.

Tavar
2011-05-04, 06:40 AM
The part where I actually saw this happening was in the couple seconds after game was declared, so there wasn't anything abusive about it. It was just really confusing to see 6 or 7 X slapped Y messages going around all at once, all targeting the same person.

Bryn
2011-05-04, 07:06 AM

Gonna Google for the density of your average black hole and see what I can do :smallbiggrin:

For what it's worth, if you replaced the Sun with a black hole of equal mass, pretty much nothing dramatic would happen - the planets would continue in their old orbits, but of course there would be no sunlight to illuminate them. I suppose almost all* life on Earth dying due to lack of solar radiation is pretty dramatic actually...

*I'm not sure how life at hydrothermal vents would fare without living things at the surface providing useful things to float down to them. Also, some bacteria live deep in the Earth's crust and they might continue to do OK without the sun. For the most part, though, and certainly for all multicellular life, as far as I know, that's it - they're dead.

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 07:35 AM
Okay, I got Paypal to, at long last, cooperate. In the process I discovered that the service is stupid. So, so stupid. Yes, those of you who have been waiting for your copy of Portal 2, you'll have it tomorrow. I'll probably get my copy a day or two after that at most, for the few planning on sharing it (you know who you are).

Anyway! In light of that, who wants a celebratory copy of the world's best senile zombie simulator (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment)?

ShortOne
2011-05-04, 07:35 AM
Hm, okay. Perhaps this isn't the best idea, then.
@Byrn: Cog told me he wasn't Japanese-born, he's living there due to military/scholarly/something of the sort reasons, but I see your point. That's the culture he's in currently.
Logistical-money note: I first posted this to see if it was a workable idea, so I didn't have a set idea of where to put the money, as it's still an idea.

Okay, I got Paypal to, at long last, cooperate. In the process I discovered that the service is stupid. So, so stupid. Yes, those of you who have been waiting for your copy of Portal 2, you'll have it tomorrow. I'll probably get my copy a day or two after that at most, for the few planning on sharing it (you know who you are).

Nooooooooooo alll my plaaaaaaans

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 07:40 AM
...Bwuh?

Sorry, did I do something wrong? Again? >_>

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 08:23 AM
(-_-) "What's new on the forum..."

(o_O) "Wait what?"

Yes, those of you who have been waiting for your copy of Portal 2, you'll have it tomorrow.

(ಠ_ಠ) "wat."

your copy of Portal 2... tomorrow.

o(╥﹏╥)o "Aww man!"

People were waiting for PorTwo from Cog? What inane charity are you Cog?!

If that's how you want to play, then fine.

Portal 2 waiting list, huh...

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-04, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm just on the waiting list for a shared game, but in any case, my birthday is tomorrow (!) so I'll have Portal 2 then as well. So don't you dare gift it to me and ruin my mother's fun.

EDIT: Feel free to send me pictures of presents, though

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 08:28 AM
Portal 2 waiting list, huh...

Where do you get those bizarre emoticons?

In any case, yeah, I've had people on a waiting list since a few pages ago. Wasn't exactly quiet about it :smalltongue:

Though, uh... I have kept them waiting for a remarkably long time. My bad on that.

I kinda get the impression that you don't have a copy, though, or would like one. That said, I'm getting this impression while sleep-deprived, so... mind clarifying that for me? I could probably get a copy for you (or someone else) if you're looking for one.

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 08:30 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm just on the waiting list for a shared game, but in any case, my birthday is tomorrow (!) so I'll have Portal 2 then as well. So don't you dare gift it to me and ruin my mother's fun.

EDIT: Feel free to send me pictures of presents, though

You are, yes. Anyway, that works out, in an "I'm horribly late" kind of way :smalltongue: Also?

Happy birthday! Here, have a cake.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hFhBfAIGZBQ/SryBXGYpeEI/AAAAAAAAAFk/jnkQM4SXvYY/s320/Portal+Cake.jpg

You kinda walked right in to this, you know.

Gamerlord
2011-05-04, 08:37 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hFhBfAIGZBQ/SryBXGYpeEI/AAAAAAAAAFk/jnkQM4SXvYY/s320/Portal+Cake.jpg

its a faaaaaaaaaaaaake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs)

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 09:04 AM
Where do you get those bizarre emoticons?

That's a simple internets search. trade secret.

I kinda get the impression that you don't have a copy, though, or would like one. That said, I'm getting this impression while sleep-deprived, so... mind clarifying that for me? I could probably get a copy for you (or someone else) if you're looking for one.

щ(°Д°щ) "HE'S TOO NICE."

*cough* Why yes. If it is not too difficult/inconviencing, yes I would like a copy of Portal 2 to be traded for my soul a cake an internet two internets.

its a faaaaaaaaaaaaake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs)

A fake cake, ye say? How can this cake be fake? Take the cake, it's not fake. For gods sake, this notion of fake cake makes me wanna shake. I'll... I'll feed it to a drake... with hake.

What's at stake here anyway?

AlterForm
2011-05-04, 09:48 AM
A fake cake, ye say? How can this cake be fake? Take the cake, it's not fake. For gods sake, this notion of fake cake makes me wanna shake. I'll... I'll feed it to a drake... with hake.

What's at stake here anyway?

One rake, give or take a lake.

Fawkes
2011-05-04, 09:50 AM
Cog, how do you have so much disposable income? Aren't you like 16?

Gamerlord
2011-05-04, 09:54 AM
One rake, give or take a lake.

Its a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

chiasaur11
2011-05-04, 10:15 AM

I'm betting on organized crime connections.

Or maybe...

That's it!

Cog, have you been secretly fighting crime using a giant robot?

Silverraptor
2011-05-04, 10:42 AM

Or maybe...

That's it!

Don't be silly. Its most likely he's been fighting Godzilla several times.:smalltongue:

Bayar
2011-05-04, 10:47 AM

Or maybe...

That's it!

Well, if you are 16 and japanese, it should go without explaining, right ?

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 10:49 AM

Nearly 19, but it's good to know I come across as immature youthful.

Also, I don't. I do have a fairly decent job, but nearly all of what I make goes to my parents. I use the leftovers. Basically, what you see here is the result of considering all my income disposable.

Or maybe...

That's it!

I admit nothing.

Edit: Byrn, I appear to be out of money. Sorry. Can't get you a copy.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 11:22 AM
Edit: Byrn, I appear to be out of money. Sorry. Can't get you a copy.

Dude. I retract my earlier statement. You are extremely charitable and extremely nice.

Save that money for something worthy of such niceness. My soul is not worth this. I probably cannot subsist with the amount of charity you have.

*phone rings.*

Ah...

I'm sorry Cog. It looks like I have to arrest you for being criminally nice. Don't apologise or anything, that'll raise it to Compassion in the Third Degree.

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 11:29 AM
Dude. I retract my earlier statement. You are extremely charitable and extremely nice.

Save that money for something worthy of such niceness. My soul is not worth this. I probably cannot subsist with the amount of charity you have.

*phone rings.*

Ah...

I'm sorry Cog. It looks like I have to arrest you for being criminally nice. Don't apologise or anything, that'll raise it to Compassion in the Third Degree.

This just in, Byrnbot is the patron deity of hyperbole.

Also, those of you waiting for a copy of Portal 2 will have to wait a bit longer. Paypal finally stopped its final throes of stupidity, but now Steam isn't cooperating, so... I'm going to try again tomorrow. 1:30 AM here.

Silverraptor
2011-05-04, 11:36 AM
Also, those of you waiting for a copy of Portal 2 will have to wait a bit longer. Paypal finally stopped its final throes of stupidity, but now Steam isn't cooperating, so... I'm going to try again tomorrow. 1:30 AM here.

I can't tell you how I find this all extremely hilarious.:smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-04, 11:46 AM

As a robot and a member of Xcom, Byrnbot has only three capabilities:

1. Cold, ruthless logic. If he describes something, the description is accurate. If it sounds like hyperbowl to you, then your life is hyperbowl

2. Shooting his teammeats in the back of the head. Injury usually nonfatal, but serious medical attention required immediately.

3. Poking Captain Sweden and asking if he can use the guided rocket launcher just once just a little bit just to participate on the team come on man

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-04, 11:53 AM
And also, as a sniper, recieving backstabs and headshots.

YOU CAN'T HAVE THE RAZORBACK AND CROC-O-STYLE KIT AT THE SAME TIME!

chiasaur11
2011-05-04, 12:08 PM
As a robot and a member of Xcom, Byrnbot has only three capabilities:

1. Cold, ruthless logic. If he describes something, the description is accurate. If it sounds like hyperbowl to you, then your life is hyperbowl

2. Shooting his teammeats in the back of the head. Injury usually nonfatal, but serious medical attention required immediately.

3. Poking Captain Sweden and asking if he can use the guided rocket launcher just once just a little bit just to participate on the team come on man

Non-fatal friendly fire?

He must be a worthless grunt.

X-Com officers and/or certified badasses kill their friends in one shot.

This is all but a cast iron rule.

Fawkes
2011-05-04, 12:08 PM

They're clearly trying to stop you from throwing all your money away.

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-04, 12:11 PM
Non-fatal friendly fire?

Holy... Where can I sign up?

Admittedly, I hate most of the people I have in mind with a passion, but...

Volug
2011-05-04, 12:12 PM
Oh X-com, the game that hates me.

A lot.

If a shot has a chance to miss, it will miss. Always, no exceptions.

:<

Double spacing.

Also: FAN O WAAAR... God so much fun. Yet so ineffective... I'm pretty horrible at TF2, but that's why I love it so much <3

Gamerlord
2011-05-04, 12:13 PM

A lot.

:<

Double spacing.

The game is supposed to hate you.
That is what makes it so much fun.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-04, 12:59 PM
Holy... Where can I sign up?

Admittedly, I hate most of the people I have in mind with a passion, but...

sign up here (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/brindlemovienight) for notifications of when Xcom (or movies of qualitye and substance!) will be streamed here (http://www.livestream.com/shadow_archmagi)

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 02:00 PM

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

"Your kindness! It Byrns me!"

Look. I got people here with a warrant for Compassion in the Second Degree now Cog. Take me off the list if you have me on, and ignore any further ramblings from my subroutines. It's gonna be the end of me.

Non-fatal friendly fire?

Stupid Three Laws Safe... why'd I even get that installed...

Volatar
2011-05-04, 02:10 PM
I found a simulation of The Second Death Star orbiting Endor, so I decided to reenact the destruction that happened in the movie.

The movie left out some important details.

When you have a solid sphere of metal 160km in diameter with a mass of 3.5*10^17 kg (thats 350,000,000,000,000,000 kg) and you blow said sphere up, you still have to deal with the remains.

The remains in this case consist of 350 million billion kilograms of metal falling from orbit on the poor little Ewoks below.

The destruction was apocalyptic in scale, with dozens of pieces, some more than 50km across, slamming into the planet Endor, and millions of smaller pieces of lethal rain carpeting the planet. All of this happening within mere minutes.

One piece I watched fall had a mass of 2.7*10^16 kg, was 54km in diameter, and was traveling nearly 10 km/s. The total kinetic energy of this piece, by my internet aided calculations, is 1.35*10^22 J. One ton of TNT explodes with 4.184*10^9 J of energy. The impact of this one piece would impact with the force of 3.2266x10^12 tons of TNT, or 3,226,600,000,000. Thats 3 thousand GIGATONS.

And thats just one piece of many:

(Cogwheel readable spoiler)
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576670369371587576/79CDE157D671C52695571AC08C177FBFF676FB29/

Yeah, Endor was toast. Literally.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-04, 02:22 PM
I found a simulation of The Second Death Star orbiting Endor, so I decided to reenact the destruction that happened in the movie.

When you have a solid sphere of metal 160km in diameter with a mass of 3.5*10^17 kg (thats 350,000,000,000,000,000 kg) and you blow said sphere up, you still have to deal with the remains.

The remains in this case consist of 350 million billion kilograms of metal falling from orbit on the poor little Ewoks below.

While yes, the ewoks probably were in for a world of hurt. (wasn't that the best part?) there are some issues with the scenario.

WARNING NERDOM I usually avoid.

1) the death star was not solid nor was it a sphere. Far from it, as it probably had close to an average density of air.
2) Endor is a planet, however the ewoks didn't live on Endor, a gas giant, but on the forest moon of Endor. The gas giant would have a significant effect on the debris cloud

chiasaur11
2011-05-04, 02:24 PM

A lot.

True story time. My second ironman run (don't ask about the first one. Trust me) had only two major friendly fire incidents. One was rookie on rookie. Non-lethal, and my Colonel, Grigoriy, nailed the last sectoid with his last across the map shot, saving the rook's life in the nick of time. It was impressive.

The other also starred Grigs, but in a rather more... negative light. Early mission. The colonel-to-be was my top sniper. He had a clean shot at a hostile. Grigs is a sargent at the time, and one of maybe three people with real field experience. One of the others, Tom, I think his name was, is within range for a second shot if the first sniper misses.

So what does my guy do?

He turns 45 degrees to shoot his buddy stone cold dead.

And that's why he shares a rare rank with Ibram Gaunt.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-04, 02:25 PM
solid

What? It wasn't solid at all. It was full of rooms; mostly hollow. That's like calling my house a 40 yard cube of wood.

If anything, it'd be LESS dense than my house, because my house doesn't have giant bottomless pits for no reason.

Gamerlord
2011-05-04, 02:25 PM

The destruction was apocalyptic in scale, with dozens of pieces, some more than 50km across, slamming into the planet Endor, and millions of smaller pieces of lethal rain carpeting the planet. All of this happening within mere minutes.

One piece I watched fall had a mass of 2.7*10^16 kg, was 54km in diameter, and was traveling nearly 10 km/s. The total kinetic energy of this piece, by my internet aided calculations, is 1.35*10^22 J. One ton of TNT explodes with 4.184*10^9 J of energy. The impact of this one piece would impact with the force of 3.2266x10^12 tons of TNT, or 3,226,600,000,000. Thats 3 thousand GIGATONS.

And thats just one piece of many:

(Cogwheel readable spoiler)
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576670369371587576/79CDE157D671C52695571AC08C177FBFF676FB29/

Yeah, Endor was toast. Literally.

I think a whole website was dedicated to that .

Silverraptor
2011-05-04, 03:08 PM
What? It wasn't solid at all. It was full of rooms; mostly hollow. That's like calling my house a 40 yard cube of wood.

If anything, it'd be LESS dense than my house, because my house doesn't have giant bottomless pits for no reason.

Silly Shadow. They weren't there for no good reason. They were there for the good guys to be able to get away and kill potential bad guys that could stop them.

Silly Shadow.:smalltongue:

Volatar
2011-05-04, 03:10 PM
1) the death star was not solid nor was it a sphere. Far from it, as it probably had close to an average density of air.
2) Endor is a planet, however the ewoks didn't live on Endor, a gas giant, but on the forest moon of Endor. The gas giant would have a significant effect on the debris cloud

Ok, my words overstated things.

My math is still solid though. I actually had the correct mass of the Death Star, even though it was not solid. Also, a large portion of the debris never hit the forest moon of Endor.

However, even if only the one piece I tracked and mathed hit the planet you would probably find all life on the planet dead. That size of an explosion and that amount of dust it would put in the atmosphere...

factotum
2011-05-04, 03:22 PM

However, we never saw Endor itself in any of the shots of the forest moon, and it wasn't visible from the moon's surface--therefore it must have been very distant indeed. Besides, even if had been relatively close, we know its gravity can't have been having more effect at the sort of distances we're talking (a few hundred miles from the moon, tops) than the moon itself, because a gravitational field that strong would have stripped the atmosphere from the moon and left it a barren wasteland.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-04, 03:54 PM
I stand by my statement that the thought of all those ewoks dying was the best part of the movie. Although the Rebel Alliance had a fleet in orbit, they probably destroyed any large debris.

Anyway, Sims 3. Yes or No?
I always thought it was a consumer Sim (what would you buy if you could buy anything, how monstrously large can you make a house, etc) which doesn't appeal to me nor to my wife.

Gamerlord
2011-05-04, 03:56 PM
I stand by my statement that the thought of all those ewoks dying was the best part of the movie. Although the Rebel Alliance had a fleet in orbit, they probably destroyed any large debris.

Anyway, Sims 3. Yes or No?
I always thought it was a consumer Sim (what would you buy if you could buy anything, how monstrously large can you make a house, etc) which doesn't appeal to me nor to my wife.

More like a very casual life simulation.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-04, 04:00 PM
However, we never saw Endor itself in any of the shots of the forest moon, and it wasn't visible from the moon's surface--

Oh?
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/9c/Endor_matte.jpg

It appeared in StarWars Battlefront 1 and 2. (no I don't actually know these things, I researched, because I'm a librarian, It's what I do)
It also appeared in the ewok films. But everyone knows those don't count.

Drascin
2011-05-04, 04:03 PM
Hm. Simcity 4 for a total pittance. I remember good times with Simcity 3000 on my old computer... anyone tried the new one and know if it holds up?

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-04, 04:28 PM
Why pay for the sims when you can get perfectly good dwarf fortress for the same experience but free?

Byrnbot08
2011-05-04, 04:40 PM
Why pay for the sims when you can get perfectly good dwarf fortress for the same experience but free?

That's crazy man. Dorf Fort is not the same experience, it's 10 times better, with 10 times more death, decay and destruction than The Sims or Sim City.

Proof in point: Boatmurdered. Look it up.

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ "fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu-"

Dragero
2011-05-04, 06:17 PM
The sims 3 is......Dumb fun. I bought it a little after release, and it's fun if you like building nice houses and slowly becoming a millionaire, then murdering hugging everything that enters your Death trap home.

I haven't touched it in months, but if you can find it cheap, I'd say get it, but if you're planning to spend more than $25 on it, you can do better. Dwarf Fortress being better

I'm now scared for all those Ewoks who may have died if a stray chunk of the Death Star had come flying at them. I never even considered it happening.

Also, X-com is indeed fun.

Jahkaivah
2011-05-04, 06:23 PM
That's crazy man. Dorf Fort is not the same experience, it's 10 times better, with 10 times more death, decay and destruction than The Sims or Sim City.

Hmmm not too sure about that, thinking about Sim City does bring up fond memories of taking my lovingly built city and tearing it apart with earthquakes, tornados, floods and giant floating one laser-eyed alien monsters. And then after watching the whole thing burn to ashes hit load game so tha- OH GOD I PRESSED SAVE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Phase
2011-05-04, 06:45 PM
So this brings up a good point. I'm getting Sims 3, mostly because I liked the first one and it helps me relax. What I really need, though, is a good RPG. I've heard tell of good things from games like Fallout 1, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, etc

Which should I get, once my bank account recovers from Sims 3?

chiasaur11
2011-05-04, 06:49 PM
So this brings up a good point. I'm getting Sims 3, mostly because I liked the first one and it helps me relax. What I really need, though, is a good RPG. I've heard tell of good things from games like Fallout 1, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, etc

Depends on what you want.

Planescape has a great story, but the combat is awful, for example.

Fallout's six bucks on GoG. I like it, lot of room to goof around and a clever combat system, but if you like fantasy more than nukes and robot lasers, then you are dead to me, I mean you should pick something else.

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 06:53 PM

Get Fallout and you can have that copy of Planescape on GOG I mentioned a few pages back?

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-04, 07:11 PM

Well, I've actually PLAYED Fallout 1 and Planescape: Torment, and I have to say, I enjoyed them both. For the duration that I played them; I don't actually finish most Bioware games. (Although I did actually go back and successfully complete Fallout 1).

So yeah. They both boast rather silly writing, but it's delivered via 1990s RPG gameplay, which means that it's very slow paced. Have you tuned into an Xcom livestream? You know how each combat round takes like, forty five minutes?

That's kinda of an exaggeration, but, you know, it's slow. That's not to say that it isn't a good game, or a fun game, but it's definitely something you should be aware of. If I get your expectations overcharged now, you'll be relieved to find it isn't that bad.

Cogwheel
2011-05-04, 10:05 PM
Byrn, could you add me on Steam when you're on next? Thanks. :smalltongue:

Treayn
2011-05-04, 11:54 PM
Hm. Simcity 4 for a total pittance. I remember good times with Simcity 3000 on my old computer... anyone tried the new one and know if it holds up?

4's harder and better than 3 overall. Not saying much however, since 3 wasn't very hard to begin with.

factotum
2011-05-05, 01:47 AM
I had SimCity 4 for a while--it's quite finicky about what it'll run on with hardware acceleration enabled, and without hardware acceleration performance sucks even on a fairly high-end PC!

As for RPGs, if Fallout or Planescape are a bit old-fashioned for your blood, GOG also has Gothic and Gothic 2, which I personally think are seriously awesome.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-05, 01:52 AM
Byrn, could you add me on Steam when you're on next? Thanks. :smalltongue:

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 04:31 AM

...I was just going to ask you something on there, you know.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-05, 05:13 AM
...I was just going to ask you something on there, you know.

Oh. My mistake, it was just that your post was ambiguous-looking. Either way, ya might have to wait another... 5-6 hours.

School net doesn't permit Steam.

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 05:15 AM
Oh. My mistake, it was just that your post was ambiguous-looking. Either way, ya might have to wait another... 5-6 hours.

School net doesn't permit Steam.

Going out in any case now, so...

Staying up till 1 AM, in six hours? Yeah, I guess I can do that :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2011-05-05, 06:06 AM
Fallout and Planescape are both pretty good games.
Planescape has an awful starting area however, worse then KOTOR2. Don't let it ruin the experience.

Bayar
2011-05-05, 06:42 AM

It's preety fun, and getting the deluxe edition at that price is worth it.

By the way, can someone buy it for me ? Will gift a game in return once the bank stops being a total ass with their schedules.

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 09:43 AM
So I'm having Portal 2 issues. I played it fine the first time I started it up, for about three hours.

Now, the game starts up fine. Then when I try to load or continue my game, or even start over, it finishes loading... then my screen goes black, then briefly back to normal, then black again. Or, if it's full screen, it just becomes a different kind of black for a moment. Windowing it let me see a message in the corner saying that my graphics driver apparently shut down for a second, then came back again. Repeat ad nauseum.

So, uh... suggestions? I'd kinda like to finish this game.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-05, 10:01 AM
So I'm having Portal 2 issues. I played it fine the first time I started it up, for about three hours.

Now, the game starts up fine. Then when I try to load or continue my game, or even start over, it finishes loading... then my screen goes black, then briefly back to normal, then black again. Or, if it's full screen, it just becomes a different kind of black for a moment. Windowing it let me see a message in the corner saying that my graphics driver apparently shut down for a second, then came back again. Repeat ad nauseum.

So, uh... suggestions? I'd kinda like to finish this game.

Since you have your saved game, have you tried starting a new game, then reload it?

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 10:23 AM
Since you have your saved game, have you tried starting a new game, then reload it?

Just tried that. The new game option yields much the same results, with one difference: The sound eventually turns into a single deafening buzz, after which everything freezes up and I am forced to reboot my computer. Twice.

Celesyne
2011-05-05, 10:57 AM
This is actually something I've dealt with. Try this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has/4e8ed22d-fe52-4321-b83c-3ecd6650f91d If thats not it, it's something similar. Had to deal with that on an old laptop I just finished fixing for my uncle.

Silverraptor
2011-05-05, 11:11 AM
If Cog can get his copy of Portal 2 fixed, it would be awesome to have a Co-op buddy who has played through Co-op yet when we both finally finish single player.:smallcool:

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 11:17 AM
This is actually something I've dealt with. Try this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has/4e8ed22d-fe52-4321-b83c-3ecd6650f91d If thats not it, it's something similar. Had to deal with that on an old laptop I just finished fixing for my uncle.

Thanks a lot. That seems perfect, except, uh...

Okay, yes, I'm still a neanderthal. What exactly should I be doing? Am I supposed to leave my computer to cool for a while, or update my driver? If it's the latter, how?

Spartacus
2011-05-05, 11:35 AM
Try using Everest to check the temperature of your computer. It may be that. If so, I recommend cleaning the fans (if accessible) and possibly acquiring something similar to this (http://bestlaptopcooler.org/logitech-speaker-lapdesk-n700-review/).

I had a similar problem on my desktop, but it was determined to be a PSU issue. I doubt that would be a problem on a laptop, or if it is the problem, how fixable it would be.

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-05, 12:12 PM
Is the deluxe edition of Mass Effect 2 worth the extra $10?

chiasaur11
2011-05-05, 12:48 PM
Is the deluxe edition of Mass Effect 2 worth the extra $10?

Depends on you, but I'd say nah.

At minimum, get it for the artbook and soundtrack rather than the in-game stuff.

Valaqil
2011-05-05, 02:26 PM

Torment is a decent game. The gameplay is similar to Baldur's Gate and the story is often cited as one of the best in gaming by those who have played it. I liked the story but it is a VERY dialog-heavy game. That's not a bad thing, except that the text is small on screen. You can play through the game minimizing your combat by talking your way through most things and that's really the encouraged option. I got it through GOG. It works fine on Win7 and the spell effects are the only part that didn't get updated well.

mightymonarch
2011-05-05, 02:32 PM
Depends on you, but I'd say nah.

At minimum, get it for the artbook and soundtrack rather than the in-game stuff.

This. The artbook and soundtrack are quite nice. The soundtrack as a standalone is about $10, I think.

Penguinizer
2011-05-05, 02:54 PM
Torment is a decent game. The gameplay is similar to Baldur's Gate and the story is often cited as one of the best in gaming by those who have played it. I liked the story but it is a VERY dialog-heavy game. That's not a bad thing, except that the text is small on screen. You can play through the game minimizing your combat by talking your way through most things and that's really the encouraged option. I got it through GOG. It works fine on Win7 and the spell effects are the only part that didn't get updated well.

I'd really like to play more Planescape, but I can't play it because as a sorcerer/Wizard it's not nice playing because every single spell effect causes my PC lag horribly. Probably a driver issue.

Celesyne
2011-05-05, 03:42 PM
Apologies Cog, I seem to have posted the wrong link. There are multiple fixes due to it being caused by multiple things. Try system restoring to a day or two ago. or rolling back to an older graphics driver if you recently updated, or updating if you haven't. Also sometimes installing windows Vista SP1 will fix the issue if your on Vista. There is also a patchfix named KB952287, which you can find in your uninstall programs page, that is part of one windows update or another that has been linked to the largest collection of that issue, uninstalling should fix. If one of those doesnt work, hit me up on steam later and we can work it out.

Scuzzball
2011-05-05, 06:52 PM
I found a cool thingy (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/scuzzball555).

Dragero
2011-05-05, 06:56 PM

My mass of $5-$20 games (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/DRAGER0) laughs at you!

This has also called to my attention that I own no steam games that currently sell for over $20! This makes me look very cheap/broke. I assure you, that I am, in fact, a zabillionaire.

Volatar
2011-05-05, 07:13 PM

Wow? $600? (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/Volatar) Thats a lot of money. How did I ever make that much money :smalleek:

This has also called to my attention that I own no steam games that currently sell for over $20! This makes me look very cheap/broke. I assure you, that I am, in fact, a zabillionaire.

Same. I am pretty sure I have never bought a game that cost more than $20 though. :smallbiggrin:

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 07:15 PM
Apologies Cog, I seem to have posted the wrong link. There are multiple fixes due to it being caused by multiple things. Try system restoring to a day or two ago. or rolling back to an older graphics driver if you recently updated, or updating if you haven't. Also sometimes installing windows Vista SP1 will fix the issue if your on Vista. There is also a patchfix named KB952287, which you can find in your uninstall programs page, that is part of one windows update or another that has been linked to the largest collection of that issue, uninstalling should fix. If one of those doesnt work, hit me up on steam later and we can work it out.

Will do when I'm feeling a tad less lazy. Thanks.

KBF
2011-05-05, 07:22 PM
Wow? $600? (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/Volatar) Thats a lot of money. How did I ever make that much money :smalleek:

and you think you're confused (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/chhakbf)

I guess 3-4 years is a long time or something, and steam sales are fairly massive. And I love Steam sales.
...it only counts current value, right? please?

Jahkaivah
2011-05-05, 07:50 PM
I can confirm it is, thankfully, not taking into account the sales and offers the game was purchased or otherwise obtained under.

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 07:51 PM
And I can confirm that typing my ID in does nothing.

Worira
2011-05-05, 07:54 PM
Likewise, putting my ID in did nothing, but setting up a custom URL made it work. (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/worira)

Gamerlord
2011-05-05, 08:05 PM
$302.72 (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/Gamerlord) But I wonder what the "Total Running" means.

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 08:09 PM
Likewise, putting my ID in did nothing, but setting up a custom URL made it work. (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/worira)

How would I go about doing that?

dromer
2011-05-05, 08:10 PM
I'll go ahead and try to contend with the lightweight division. (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/dromer)

How would I go about doing that?

Go to profile
Edit Profile
Ctrl+F Custom URL
Input your URL
Save.

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 08:15 PM
Ow. At least it's almost entirely from sales. (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/gitpcog)

Not counting gifts, mind.

Dispozition
2011-05-05, 08:23 PM
Hey guys, I think I have a problem :-/
No, really. It's a problem :-| (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/legendwhat)

Drizvolta
2011-05-05, 08:25 PM
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/drizvolta

This much in the span of a year. I hope this is mostly those summer packs and sales, because that is an awful lot of money.

Top_Hat
2011-05-05, 08:33 PM
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/tophat229

geeez. I guess I just have simple tastes.

dromer
2011-05-05, 08:39 PM

With gifts it would be nine nine nine nine nine nine nine....

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 08:48 PM
With gifts it would be nine nine nine nine nine nine nine....

Well, since you asked/mentioned it...

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List1.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List2.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List3.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List4.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List5.png

...Yep.

dromer
2011-05-05, 08:51 PM
Well, since you asked/mentioned it...

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List1.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List2.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List3.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List4.png

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/Crawlscreens/Avernum/List5.png

...Yep.

That's around $320 in just the extra copies section.

Science Officer
2011-05-05, 09:04 PM
Of these (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/UnnamedProtagonist), I only purchased L4d2 (on sale for $7) and The Orange Box (on sale for $20)

Huh. And those are the games which have specifically ceased working. What a coincidence.

Fawkes
2011-05-05, 09:05 PM
$925 (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/countfawkes), but most of those were on sale.

$302.72 (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/Gamerlord) But I wonder what the "Total Running" means.

It's just a subtotal of everything up to that point in the list.

Ow. At least it's almost entirely from sales. (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/gitpcog)

Don't worry, I'm sure you've spent far more than that.

And we have a winner.

Volatar
2011-05-05, 09:22 PM

I hope you have a REALLY secure password :O

RPharazon
2011-05-05, 09:37 PM
Coming in the Middleweight category... (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/rpharazon)

Most of that has been gifted. The only things I've actually bought are Il-2 1946, Civ V, Portal 2, Poker Night, Medieval II Pack, and a copy of the Source Complete Pack from 2008.
Let's not count the things achieved through the Humble Bundles, though. For reasons.
Also L4D2 and Mafia have been gifted to me.
And everything else not mentioned has actually been gifted to me by my girlfriend.
Enabling my video game addiction AND teaching me Latin, how cool is that?
I think, in total then, I've paid $200.

I'm going to get hacked and/or spat on now, aren't I?

Phase
2011-05-05, 10:20 PM
Cogwheel are you addicted to kindness.

Because that is a hell of a lot of kindness right there.

Cogwheel
2011-05-05, 10:21 PM
Phase are you addicted to flattery.

Because that is a hell of a lot of flattery right there.

I have nothing more to say.

mightymonarch
2011-05-05, 10:22 PM
TF2 Update. Replays have been added over from the Beta.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=5420&p=1

Fawkes
2011-05-05, 10:25 PM
Also some new hats that aren't on the wiki.

Except for PLANTS VS ZOMBIES HATS

bucket (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Brain_Bucket) and cone (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Dead_Cone)

Worira
2011-05-05, 10:26 PM
Ugh, Valve. Why do you not want me to like TF2 so hard?

The Linker
2011-05-05, 10:39 PM
I am officially excited about this replay editor. I am.

Could be a lot of fun. :smallbiggrin:

Cogwheel
2011-05-06, 12:03 AM
Okay. Two things. First off, how do I do a system restore/update drivers? Kinda lost here.

Second, who's up for Age of Wonders 2? Wizard's Throne or Shadow Magic, I'm not picky. Played over Tunngle (http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en), because it's proven far, far more reliable than Hamachi. For those of you who aren't familiar with the game, it's a fantasy TBS/sorta-kinda-4X but not really, rather close to Master of Magic. Awful, awful balance, but a whole lot of fun all the same, and available on Steam/Gog. If you're interested in giving it a try, let me know, by PM, Steam or this thread. I've kinda been searching for someone to play against for a while now.

Bayar
2011-05-06, 12:43 AM
Compared to you guys, I'm smalltime. But that still is a lot of money for someone that doesn't have any job :eek:

Snow Leopard
2011-05-06, 12:50 AM
ok so all of us spend a lot of money in games, :smallbiggrin:

here (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/inaraserra) I am

@cogwheel

assumed that you have a windows based system,
1)to check which video card do you have, go to control panel - system and security- system- advanced settings - hardware - manage devices
2)if you have an Ati video card (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx)

3)if you have an nvidia video card (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7sBfEEEXGA)

I hope it helps :)

Cogwheel
2011-05-06, 12:58 AM
ok so all of us spend a lot of money in games, :smallbiggrin:

here (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/inaraserra) I am

@cogwheel

assumed that you have a windows based system,
1)to check which video card do you have, go to control panel - system and security- system- advanced settings - hardware - manage devices
2)if you have an Ati video card (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx)

3)if you have an nvidia video card (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7sBfEEEXGA)

I hope it helps :)

I'm using an Intel chipset on a Windows 7 computer. Getting a new driver now, in any case. Thanks!

Edit: Changed drivers. Didn't help.

Dispozition
2011-05-06, 01:39 AM
I hope you have a REALLY secure password :O

You know, that is a really good point, changing it now :-/

factotum
2011-05-06, 01:45 AM
Something not quite right with that site. If I enter my Steam ID, it only shows me as possessing Left 4 Dead 2 and COD: Modern Warfare 2--neither of which I actually own. Unless I put the wrong ID in, but I'm sure I used the right one--will have to check when I get home! :smallconfused:

Byrnbot08
2011-05-06, 01:47 AM
Yowza. (http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/byrnbot08/uk) That's a right pretty penny I'm worth.

And it surprises me to see that Civ V is quite expensive. Thank gawds for the offers.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-05-06, 07:02 AM
It calculates off retail value of every individual game you own. I bought several games in packs. Like my Half Life 1 stuff came from the base game and then Blue-Shift pack.

potatocubed
2011-05-06, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty certain I haven't spent $1442 dollars on Steam games - I follow the maxim "Never pay full price for anything on Steam, because it'll be in a sale soon enough."

Fluff & Napalm
2011-05-06, 10:01 AM
I think the only thing I've paid full price for is Portal 2. http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/fluffandnapalm

Dispozition
2011-05-06, 10:32 AM
Oh yeah, to be clear, I haven't spent two and a half grand on steam. I ever so rarely buy things that aren't on sale. I think Sim City 4 and Portal 2 are the two most recent, Sim City because I had a serious craving for it.

But yeah, at best I've spent a grand. If not less (:

JUST TO CLARIFY.

I still have a problem though >:

Silverraptor
2011-05-06, 10:49 AM
So, how do I find my steam profile URL to do the calculation on?

RPharazon
2011-05-06, 12:46 PM
Crysis day today in EA Week. Crysis for $7.50 and Warhead for $5. Get the two for $10. Might actually be pick-uppable.

Oh great and mighty Cogwheel, most magnanimous of playgrounders, most generous of gifters, ye who showers internet strangers with disposable income, I beseech thee for a gift of Crysis. Warhead is optional but the maximum pack gives greatest value.
[/toadying]
I shall gladly repay you with a gift of your choice (of equal, lesser, or reasonably greater value) as soon as my most recent cheque goes through, and when Paypal decides to get off its arse and transfer moneys (6-8 days ugh). That goes for you too, Scuzzball. Message me in two or three weeks, kay?

Valaqil
2011-05-06, 01:02 PM
I've never played them before now, but, at this price, Crysis seems like the deal of the week. I picked up the pack and will see how they turn out later tonight.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-05-06, 01:21 PM
Thinking about it. The only game I bought on Steam for full price was probably Orange Box and maybe Plants vs Zombies. Half-Life 2 I paid full retail for, but I didn't buy it off Steam since Steam was still a bit unreliable at the time and didn't have the best download speeds.

Dragero
2011-05-06, 01:26 PM
Games that I've bought full price?

X-com
Deus Ex
Evil Genius
Garrys mod
Madballs
KOTOR

Everything else was either a gift or on sale (Or in a pack)

Edit: WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN (http://www.gamestop.ca/accessories/call-of-duty-black-ops-progaming-glasses/307718?loc=availablenow_row3_col1)

Penguinizer
2011-05-06, 02:00 PM
Has anyone been having trouble getting Mass Effect to work?

I've tried running it and everything possible as an administrator and on compatibility mode to no avail. It just keeps on crashing. It goes full screen, then just freezes and shows a black screen. This is rather annoying to say the least. At least ME 2 works fine.

tyckspoon
2011-05-06, 02:08 PM
Edit: WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN (http://www.gamestop.ca/accessories/call-of-duty-black-ops-progaming-glasses/307718?loc=availablenow_row3_col1)

Less expensive ways to get a similar effect: turn down your effing brightness! You're really not supposed to run your monitor at 100% all the time, it just washes out the colors!

Grif
2011-05-06, 02:55 PM
Has anyone been having trouble getting Mass Effect to work?

I've tried running it and everything possible as an administrator and on compatibility mode to no avail. It just keeps on crashing. It goes full screen, then just freezes and shows a black screen. This is rather annoying to say the least. At least ME 2 works fine.

Nope. But Mass Effect is a quite poorly optimised port from the XBox version though.

It's the only game I have which will crash if I attempt any number of alt-tabs.

Bayar
2011-05-06, 03:44 PM

>Call of Duty
>Pro Gaming

HaHa

No.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-06, 03:59 PM
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN (http://www.gamestop.ca/accessories/call-of-duty-black-ops-progaming-glasses/307718?loc=availablenow_row3_col1)

That is a thing of beauty. Successfully selling cheap yellow things for sixty bucks? Incredible.

Gamerlord
2011-05-06, 04:01 PM

I'm betting that only costs like $2 to make. We gamers need to learn not to throw our money at- WOW NEW STEAM GAME MUST BUY!

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-06, 04:03 PM
I'm betting that only costs like $2 to make. We gamers need to learn not to throw our money at- WOW NEW STEAM GAME MUST BUY!

Oh hey, Steam sells glasses you can download right to your eyephone, and they're only 75 cents right now

factotum
2011-05-06, 04:10 PM

I've heard that can happen if you have OpenAL installed--can't say I've ever run into the issue myself, though.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-06, 04:21 PM
I've tried running it as an administrator

Welcome. Welcome to Windows 7. You have chosen or been chosen to reinstall to one of our finest remaining data centers.

I though so much of Windows 7 that I elected to establish my administration here, in the Operating System so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors.

I've been proud to call Windows 7 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay or passing through on your way to parts unknown, welcome, to Windows 7.
It's safer here.

I have to stop and imagine this EVERY time I press "Administrator" mode.

Spartacus
2011-05-06, 04:25 PM
And similar to Vista, I believe administrator mode is not truly administrator mode, and you have to go to another layer to get full access. Sounds a little Inception-y.

Penguinizer
2011-05-06, 04:35 PM
Ok, I've basically tried everything I could find. It's times like these I think consoles have it easy. At least the games they buy work. The most fun part is that support will be completely useless. It'll take them a week to mail back to say "You should do whatever you've tried again" or saying there's nothing they can do.

dromer
2011-05-06, 04:44 PM
And similar to Vista, I believe administrator mode is not truly administrator mode, and you have to go to another layer to get full access. Sounds a little Inception-y.

SYSTEM ADVISOR IF I WANT TO BREAK MY OS ALLOW ME TO.

mightymonarch
2011-05-06, 05:48 PM

Adminception.

Fawkes
2011-05-06, 06:11 PM
That is a thing of beauty. Successfully selling cheap yellow things for sixty bucks? Incredible.

That's actually about an average price for sunglasses.

Wait, those are sunglasses, right? What are those supposed to be for?

dromer
2011-05-06, 06:23 PM

"What's the most resilient parasite? A bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? ... An administrator. Resilient, highly contagious. Once an administrator has taken hold of the computer, it's almost impossible to eradicate. An administrator that is fully capable of running things? That's your fix."

Augmenting vision, or rather demonstrating your augmented vision.

Byrnbot08
2011-05-06, 06:24 PM

It looks like sunglasses you wear indoors whilst playing the game on a platform of choice.

Wearing sunglasses indoors. Makes you 1337. Honest to god. :smalltongue:

Spartacus
2011-05-06, 06:50 PM
Heavy likes to shoot gun. Is all you need to know.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-06, 07:08 PM
SHADOW'S OPINION OF PORTAL 2:

Music, graphics, animations, yada yada: Spot on and beautiful.

Jokes: Hilarious!

Puzzles: Valve, I think, has very good puzzles. Not in the sense that they're hard, but in the sense that you can solve them quite quickly without feeling like they're TOO easy. Just clever enough to be satisfying, in my opinion.

The end result was a game that was like a candy bar, with the humor and intellectual satisfaction being like the chocolate coating and the caramel peanut center.

5/5

Forbiddenwar
2011-05-06, 07:09 PM

To see through time, but only works with the deluxe edition that comes with air (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/2/19/)

Cogwheel
2011-05-06, 07:23 PM
Snip

You'll have to add me back before I can send you anything, I'm afraid.

I shall gladly repay you with a gift of your choice (of equal, lesser, or reasonably greater value) as soon as my most recent cheque goes through, and when Paypal decides to get off its arse and transfer moneys (6-8 days ugh).

I think you kinda missed how this works. Don't do that :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2011-05-06, 07:26 PM
Hooray, Crysis sale!
Now if only THAT BLASTED CHECK WOULD ARRIVE AND CLEAR IN TIME......

EDIT: THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR A GIFT, JUST A RANT. COGWHEEL DON'T EVEN TRY IT.

RPharazon
2011-05-06, 07:37 PM
Cogwheel is certainly some type of gypsum/galena mixture. Sturdy, semi-abundant, intensely useful, somewhat poisonous, and possibly a wall.

Cogwheel
2011-05-06, 07:46 PM
Cogwheel is certainly some type of gypsum/galena mixture. Sturdy, semi-abundant, intensely useful, somewhat poisonous, and possibly a wall.

Context won't actually help you much here.

So, I take it no one's up for age of wonders?

Silverraptor
2011-05-06, 08:00 PM
SHADOW'S OPINION OF PORTAL 2:

Music, graphics, animations, yada yada: Spot on and beautiful.

Jokes: Hilarious!

Puzzles: Valve, I think, has very good puzzles. Not in the sense that they're hard, but in the sense that you can solve them quite quickly without feeling like they're TOO easy. Just clever enough to be satisfying, in my opinion.

The end result was a game that was like a candy bar, with the humor and intellectual satisfaction being like the chocolate coating and the caramel peanut center.

5/5

I agree. However, I found things too detailed at times, casuing me to look around constantly for the only portal patch that I could move on from there. Then there was one time I was working my way backwards thinking I was still going forwards.:smallsigh:

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-06, 09:44 PM
I agree. However, I found things too detailed at times, casuing me to look around constantly for the only portal patch that I could move on from there. Then there was one time I was working my way backwards thinking I was still going forwards.:smallsigh:

One thing I did dislike about the game was the way the dialogue usually only progressed if you progressed. I have to admit though, that I can't really call this a design flaw. The alternative would be to record extra dialogue that only played if you were progressing slowly, in which case you'd have to progress slowly all the time to hear the extra dialogue. (Although there are some spots where you can wait around for a few extra lines)

It just kinda bothered me when I'd spend suffer a momentary setback and spend fifteen minutes on a puzzle in total silence. I almost felt like the game should be sold separately from the radio drama.

Celesyne
2011-05-06, 10:23 PM
Sorry Cog, I dont have that one or I would join you. which makes me want to reinstall Age of Empires 2 and the expansion for some teutonic knight fun.

Cogwheel
2011-05-06, 10:50 PM
Sorry Cog, I dont have that one

I can fix that, y'know.

Celesyne
2011-05-06, 10:56 PM
I'd rather not, I'm already in yer debt for Magicka , which I am still having a blast on, and getting mutilated on X-COM.

Cogwheel
2011-05-06, 11:04 PM
Ah well, thought I'd offer.

By the way, am I the only one looking forward to Garshasp being released? Silly name aside, it seems like some sort of strange DMC/Metroidvania combination, which I approve of, and it should run on my computer, too. Using some marginally less cookie-cutter mythology is a plus. Anyone else thinking of getting this?