PDA

View Full Version : High Level Spell Choices?

Viskocity
2011-04-08, 01:56 AM
I am playing a wizard in an ongoing campaign, and I just reached level 14. Even levels are not usually very exciting for spellcasters, but at this level, the spell choices seem particularly anemic. I just can't get excited about any of the 7th level spells in the PHB or SpC. So, I am looking for suggestions as to what spells to learn. Did I miss something, or are there just not that many good choices?

Some character info: Transmuter 8, Mindbender 1, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 5
Ranged touch attack +9
Usually prepare a pretty versatile spell list including tons of personal buffs, some battlefield control, and a summon monster or two. Almost no direct damage besides disintegrate, though.

As a note, I have the Heart of X line prepared. Would it be worth it to trade up to Elemental Body?

Thanks in advance, playgrounders!

faceroll
2011-04-08, 02:35 AM
Banishment, Magnificent Mansion, Greater Arcane Sight, Plane Shift, Grasping Hand, Simulacrum, Summon Monster VII (spend a full round to get basically 14 free walls of ice with a bone devil), Waves of Exhaustion, Control Weather, Reverse Gravity, Limited Wish.

That's just poking around on the SRD.

What schools did you ban?

Viskocity
2011-04-08, 02:47 AM
I already have summon monster 7, reverse gravity, a cleric who can plane-shift, permanency'd arcane sight, and plenty of battlefield control to go around. I suppose some more utility might be useful, but I doubt that I would be casting control weather once a day.

I banned enchantment and evocation. Unfortunately, while I am almost never in any danger of dying, I don't present a very large offensive threat.

Zaq
2011-04-08, 02:47 AM
From the SpC, Energy Immunity, Greater Dispelling Screen, Ironguard, and Greater Stone Shape all seem pretty compelling.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-08, 02:54 AM
Does SpC have the orb line of spells? If so then I suggest you pick one up; they are immune to SR, do good damage and with metamagic fill a 7th level slot. Waves of Exhaustion is also good because you can walk amongst enemies without fear due to your being a veiler.

Viskocity
2011-04-08, 02:59 AM
Does SpC have the orb line of spells? If so then I suggest you pick one up; they are immune to SR, do good damage and with metamagic fill a 7th level slot. Waves of Exhaustion is also good because you can walk amongst enemies without fear due to your being a veiler.

I wish I could use the orbs. My DM houseruled them into evocation, which makes quite a bit of sense, to be fair. Waves of Exhaustion is an interesting idea, though.

faceroll
2011-04-08, 03:50 AM
Playground just ate my post =/

Metamagic your lower level stuff into higher slots if you want straight up hurtination.

Otherwise, use your spells for lateral approaches. Do the layers of your veils count as Abjuration effects? Cause you could ethereal jaunt around and hit people from another plane with them up. Simulacrum lets you replicate any monsters you fight and get a piece of, which means potential access to some really cool stuff. Vision virtually lets you know whatever you want about anything not Sequestered or Mind Blanked. Wish lets you replicate Psionic powers, such as Psychic Reformation, so your party can repick feats & skills, and powers & spells. Dismissal is good if you can get your hands on "certain rare items", as outsiders typically don't have HD much greater than their CR.

Statue is like a better version of Stoneskin, as you get hardness 8 for hours, with no damage cap. Hardness applies to every sort of damage type. Since you can turn into a statue at will, as a free action, anytime you take damage, simply turn into a statue to gain hardness 8, then turn back into a person as a free action.

It's possible that the spell turns you into an actual object, if your DM rules it so, which would be a bummer, as it would turn any buffs that target creatures only off. On the other hand, you would be taking half damage from energy and ranged attacks.

Morbis Meh
2011-04-09, 01:43 AM
Switching the orb spells to evoc doesn't make sense actually because you are actually conjuring real fire/acid/cold instead of the magical variety the the evoc school deals.

Keld Denar
2011-04-09, 02:04 AM
As a note, I have the Heart of X line prepared. Would it be worth it to trade up to Elemental Body?

I find its useful to have both. The Stoneskin from Heart of Earth and the FoM from Heart of Water are both nearly invaluable. As long as you are going that far, the bonus fly speed from Heart of Air is ok, assuming you have Elemental Body (Air) running, and the FR and base speed increase (which increases Elemental Body fly speed as well) is ok.

Elemental Body is important because it gives you that fly speed, and if you have to expend either Heart of Water or Heart of Air, you don't drop from 100% fortification down to 25% instantly.