PDA

View Full Version : karsites and awesome.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-08, 02:49 AM
So while I have my doubts about karsites as a player race, I must say that they are great as npcs. A lvl 6 karsite binder just brought my 3 lvl5 players down a peg. The swordsage did hurt him, but the dread necromancer and psion healed him right up (yay awesome sr triggered healing). The swordsage dropped early to a bad save on a deep slumber wand, forcing the two casters to instead deal with him conversationally. The paladin wanted his head, but the party agreed to disguise him as a zombie since the paladin knows that one of them is a necromancer. The binder seems to only want to be left alone and convince the church of pelor that he is dead. Has any one else had this kind of experience with karsites? Because they seem to be an awesome trick to throw at unsuspecting parties (I tend to use a lot of human(oid) enemies for simplicity's sake).

Thurbane
2011-04-08, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Karsites. I plan to use them heavily in my homebrew campaign world, as members of an invading nation.

The LA +2 is bad for a PC, but as you say, they make nice NPCs. Kind of like Hobgoblins and Drow.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-08, 11:18 AM
I love hobgoblins, but the benefits in no way justify the LA. At least karsites and drow have sr. Actually now that you mention them, they seem a lot like drow, except instead of weird SLAs they goet the ability to screw with magic.

Also in a world with real mag/psi transparency I have a slight issue with them. They can be psions, but sr specifically blocks powers too, and flavorfully karsite's inability to use magic stems from their resistance. So they either shouldn't be psions or their resistance should not apply to powers, or I am over analyzing and should let it go.

aazru
2011-04-08, 01:22 PM
It's about source and effects I think. You can do the same thing with different source of power, but they stay different nevertheless.

Do Karsites get human bonus feat and skillpoint?

Cog
2011-04-08, 01:29 PM
Yep. They're an "All traits except as noted here" deal.