PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Beating Scrying

Rasman
2011-04-08, 04:19 AM
I have a problem. I'm a 12th level druid with a Large Cat for an animal companion. Our, presumably, BBEG Wizard can now Scry on her in such a way that he could dominate her and other such things in order to get information on our party. Most people would say, "just release her and get a new pet", but my backstory won't allow it. I need a way to prevent the scrying without getting rid of her.

Sadly, I don't think an Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location is going to work in this case since a DC19 isn't going to be hard for him to beat. To give you an idea of his power level, he created a Volcano that leveled a city to prevent them from becoming part of an army of Chaos.

So, he's effectively an Epic level caster. I need something that just says "No" to scrying, but I just don't know what.

faceroll
2011-04-08, 04:27 AM
Pre-Epic, there are no such things. Either the DM has the BBEG scry on you, or he doesn't. You're well into fiat land when dealing with epic level casters.

Mind Blank or the item third eye: conceal should do you.

How is the BBEG dominating creatures through scry? If he's doing that, then he's probably going to be able to see through what ever non-epic magic you put up.

Rasman
2011-04-08, 04:45 AM
well, I say "and the like" because I'm not really sure...I just know that while we were in what "USED" to be a Temple of Heironeous, she was acting strangely.

Third Eye - Conceal, isn't a bad idea. It might be something I actually pursue for this. The cost might kill me, but totally worth it.

I'd JUST use Mind Blank from out party Wizard, but we're not quite to 8th level spells, so that's sadly a no.

Alleran
2011-04-08, 04:56 AM
Either buy an item of Mind Blank (it does, after all, block epic magic as well as regular magic - and even if you're not up to 8th level spells you might be able to find an item for it), or try the "personal mind blank" psionic effect and stick it on an item. The "personal" variant is a lower level than the standard one, so you should be able to get it on an item.

FelixG
2011-04-08, 05:31 AM
Kill the cat. Wait a little while, generally long enough for the guy to scry on you through the cat, then cast resurrection (or whatever spell druids have that changes the critter type potentially, im away from my books.), when he realizes that the critter is dead he has no reason to try again.

MightyIgoo
2011-04-08, 08:15 AM
Kill the cat. Wait a little while, generally long enough for the guy to scry on you through the cat, then cast resurrection (or whatever spell druids have that changes the critter type potentially, im away from my books.), when he realizes that the critter is dead he has no reason to try again.

Wow. You don't pull any punches, do you? If his backstory prevents him from getting rid of the cat, I doubt it will allow him to slit its throat in cold blood, either.

Darrin
2011-04-08, 09:29 AM

Flesh to stone, flesh to salt (Sandstorm), or call of stone (PHBII) would be easier (and less messy). While the cat is a statue, it is neither alive or dead. It can't be targeted as a creature (no scrying), and the BBEG has to know the cat is now an object to locate it as an object. Wrap the statue with a thin sheet of lead or polymorph it into something else (such as a cat-sized boulder in a field full of cat-sized boulders) and he can't find it via locate object. And if he's never touched the cat in statue form, he can't use discern location on it. When you can afford mind blank, you can cast break enchantment to turn your lawn ornament back into a cat.

Otherwise, enchant a few weapons as Spellbades (+6000 GP, Player's Guide to Faerun p. 120) and that will negate one specific spell (up to 9th level) that specifically targets the owner. I like to put this enchantment on armor spikes, boot/elbow/knee/sleeve blades (Complete Scoundrel p. 109), or poison rings (Dragon Compendium p. 115), basically any weapon you'd wear 100% of the time or never have any reason to remove/put down.

WinWin
2011-04-08, 09:36 AM
BoVD has a spell called Psychic Poison. There is also a few items that grant this as a benefit. Does not prevent scrying, but it will inflict Intelligence damage on the caster. It also does the same when the target is effected by some mind effecting spells. The Gem of Psychic Poison will set you back about 20k gp, less if you can craft it yourself.

If this mage is the DM's pet character, I doubt he'll fail a saving throw. If that is the case, I can only suggest that you make sad faces at your DM until his Marty Stu stops railroading you.

Velden
2011-04-08, 09:48 AM
A creature can notice the sensor by making a Perception check with a DC 20 + the spell level. The sensor can be dispelled as if it were an active spell.

Lead sheeting or magical protection blocks a scrying spell, and you sense that the spell is blocked.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Divination

Cover the cat with lead sheet until you find a "mind blank" equivalent item. But that depends on the setting I guess.

Some spells regarding the mind control...

-Protection from evil grants temp. protection if your cat beats the will save (+2 morale bonus) of the spell that is dominating it.

-Dispel evil allows you to automatically dispel the enchantment spell (dominate monster) once detected.