PDA

View Full Version : Question on Metamagic spell trigger

DueceEsMachine
2011-04-08, 08:10 AM
Alright, so this has come up helping a friend build a character.

During the course of character creation, the idea arose to use the metamagic spell trigger to apply sudden metamagic feats to the wands he would be using.

Now the question is:
Would this use the 1/day allotment of the given feat, as would make sense balance- wise, or would it be something you could do at will?

The class ability says you apply the effect of the feat to the item, at the cost of the spell level adjustment, which of course is +0.

Also, the sudden feats say that you can use them when casting a spell, not when activating a magic item, like a wand.

I'm thinking it's possible (though no sane Dm would allow it), but I thought I would ask the great minds of the playground, since you're all here anyways!

Thanks!

dextercorvia
2011-04-08, 09:11 AM
You may. It uses your daily allotment of the Sudden feat. It costs 0 extra charges. Definitely not broken in an overpowered way.

All of the metamagic feats say when casting a spell. MST adjusts that.

Cog
2011-04-08, 09:13 AM
Also, the sudden feats say that you can use them when casting a spell, not when activating a magic item, like a wand.
Well, that's what all the metamagic spells do. It's the Metamagic Spell Trigger feat that lets you apply them to other things. The Sudden feats are still metamagic, and so count for the Trigger feat, thereby using up the single use per day.

From what I understand, the Sudden feats are usually considered pretty weak. I doubt this would be enough of a boost to be unbalancing.

DueceEsMachine
2011-04-08, 09:23 AM
alright - I just wasn't sure if using the sudden feats with the metamagic trigger used up their 1/day limit, if that's the case, then yeah, not a huge advantage. Bit of a waste, really.

Cool. thanks for the help!