PDA

View Full Version : Post Character-Limit

Neftren
2011-04-08, 09:27 AM
If I recall correctly, the maximum number of characters allowed per post is some number around 1500. Is this still the case? If so, is there any way to increase this number (either on a per-post basis, or per-user)?

wxdruid
2011-04-08, 09:41 AM
In prior threads here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183950) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179911). The limit for a Post is 50,000 total and for a PM 25,000, which includes formatting. Not sure if they've changed it or not.

Douglas
2011-04-08, 09:43 AM
There is a maximum character limit per post, but it's nowhere near that low. I see posts longer than 1500 characters all the time. A mere 2 or 3 paragraphs could exceed that easily.

I think the limit is 50000 characters.

Neftren
2011-04-08, 09:46 AM
In prior threads here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183950) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179911). The limit for a Post is 50,000 total and for a PM 25,000, which includes formatting. Not sure if they've changed it or not.

Okay, I dunno where I got the 1500 from. In anycase, is there any way to increase said limit?

Serpentine
2011-04-08, 09:50 AM
They didn't do it for my Hall of Fame, I don't know what would be more likely than that.
I suspect that that limit might be the most they can get. You can, however, double-post if there's something of substance that requires extra posts - to use my previous example, the mods are even deleting the posts of others to keep my Hall of Fame ones at the top all together.

Neftren
2011-04-08, 09:53 AM
They didn't do it for my Hall of Fame, I don't know what would be more likely than that.
I suspect that that limit might be the most they can get. You can, however, double-post if there's something of substance that requires extra posts - to use my previous example, the mods are even deleting the posts of others to keep my Hall of Fame ones at the top all together.

I thought about the multi-post option, but in many ways it's easier to just keep it all in one post, so I can single-link it and then apply rigorous use of spoilers to manage it all.

Serpentine
2011-04-08, 09:56 AM
What is it, exactly, that you're expecting to take more than 50,000 characters?
Don't think you have any choice *shrug* Like I said, the mods are removing other posts to string my HoF ones together. If they could make posts bigger, I'm sure they would've.

Neftren
2011-04-08, 09:59 AM
What is it, exactly, that you're expecting to take more than 50,000 characters?
Don't think you have any choice *shrug* Like I said, the mods are removing other posts to string my HoF ones together. If they could make posts bigger, I'm sure they would've.

Play by post guide is currently just under 30k characters. I was going to add yet another section to it, and expand a few other sections.

happyturtle
2011-04-08, 11:41 AM
I thought about the multi-post option, but in many ways it's easier to just keep it all in one post, so I can single-link it and then apply rigorous use of spoilers to manage it all.

It probably would be. But it's probably less difficult for you to use a second post than for Rawhide to figure out a way to grant per-user exceptions.

Neftren
2011-04-08, 12:00 PM
It probably would be. But it's probably less difficult for you to use a second post than for Rawhide to figure out a way to grant per-user exceptions.

I suppose that would also be true, hence the per-user part of the question.

Rawhide
2011-04-08, 04:57 PM
There is no way to change the settings on a per user basis and the limit is already well and truly above the recommended settings and those of other boards.

Do you really want to fry our database?

Serpentine
2011-04-09, 04:01 AM
I figured that if it's possible to set the character limit, we'd already have it at the maximum.

Zherog
2011-04-09, 08:45 AM

Broiling is healthier, and just as tasty...

Neftren
2011-04-09, 08:49 AM
There is no way to change the settings on a per user basis and the limit is already well and truly above the recommended settings and those of other boards.

Duuuuude, Barbecue is so totally awesome man!

Nah, anyway. I guess I'll just resort to multi-posting then. I don't suppose there's a way to insert a post is there...