PDA

View Full Version : Fight Building in 2e Mutants and Masterminds?

Dr paradox
2011-04-08, 10:55 AM
frankly, I have no idea how to balance fights in this system. I know that enemies have given power levels/minion levels, but NOWHERE does it indicate how to interpret that into a fair fight. what would be a challenging, but defeatable power level for a party of 4 power level eight heroes, for example?

The Big Dice
2011-04-08, 12:03 PM
Like most systems, you need to learn to feel what's going to work. Look at the characters involved and try and base things on what they are capable of. What makes a tough fight for a Paragon type character is going to crush a Costumed Detective flat.

golentan
2011-04-08, 12:08 PM
My advice? Ignore it.

I've had people crush a foe twice their power level, and I've seen the same characters struggle against a PL5 villain. Get a good feel for the individual powers and strategies of your players and build your foe accordingly. And remember that defeat can be (depending on game tone) an excuse for a mocking "you super-zeroes will never foil my plan!" speech.

Dr paradox
2011-04-08, 03:26 PM
I thought it might be something like that. oh well. It's Golden Age, so I suppose I'll just have to experiment a bit.

thanks for the feedback!

Beleriphon
2011-04-10, 04:07 PM
I thought it might be something like that. oh well. It's Golden Age, so I suppose I'll just have to experiment a bit.

thanks for the feedback!

Rougly speaking +2 PL difference is a pretty good fight for a non-minion villain. If they can attack defences that the heroes don't use then they can be much, much lower and still be effective.