PDA

View Full Version : Streamlining V:tM Combat?

bladesyz
2011-04-08, 11:06 AM
I'd like to hear some ideas of how to streamline combat rolls in Vampire: the Masquerade, with the goal of making as few rolls as possible in a single attack.

Xuc Xac
2011-04-10, 01:23 AM
Try using static defenses. Don't roll for Dodge or soak: just subtract their rating from the attacker's dice pool before rolling the attack and damage.

So instead of "I roll my 7 dice and count successes then you roll your 5 dice and count successes and your successes cancel mine", it would be "I roll 2 dice and count successes." If the attacker would be reduced to 0 or less dice, he can still roll one but it only succeeds on a 10 (which is blind luck).

Doc Roc
2011-04-10, 11:47 AM
You'll need about two pounds of parrafin wax, seventy or so pie weights, and six or so hours. Oh, and a stapler, a hole punch, and a good bit of fine twine. Scissors may be needed for the twine. The first step is to staple your core book's covers to the table, so it can't escape. We then begin the purge.

First flip to the start of the combat section, and put the paraffin on the stove to preheat. Be careful not to turn the heat up too much. Don't hurry this. While you wait, reread the combat section. By the time you've done this a couple times, the wax should be ready.

Return to the first page of the combat rules, and gently pull it out. Fold it into an origami crane, and then hole-punch the base of the crane. Now dip it in the paraffin, carefully. Don't over expose. Now twine the pie weight to the crane. Repeat this process until you run out of twine.

Now go find a stream, and place a crane about every meter in a careful line.

This is the closest to streamlined those rules wil ever get.

comicshorse
2011-04-10, 12:38 PM
Vampire the Requiem rules work really well for me. Sorry that's all I've got

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-10, 01:36 PM
Vampire the Requiem rules work really well for me. Sorry that's all I've got
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that's probably the best approach. The new Storyteller System rules work really well for combat.

Doc Roc
2011-04-10, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna guess that's probably the best approach. The new Storyteller System rules work really well for combat.

They are quick, and I like them better.

Dingle
2011-04-11, 08:31 AM
you could also not roll for damage.
all damage dice are automatically succeses.

eg. I have 3 str and a weapon that adds 2 to damage, get 3 successes on dex+melee, and my opponent has 3 stamina and fortitude 1.
in this case, the damage is: 3(str) + 2(weapon) + 2(attack extra successes) -4(soak) = 3 levels of damage

double health levels and potence for damage to compensate for the increased damage, and you've removed 2 rolls (damage and soak).