PDA

View Full Version : Name for a Pirate

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:47 PM
I need help with names for a few swashbuckling NPC's. I'm terrible at names, so I'm requesting your help. They should be fairly serious (no puns, please), and should be realistic for a campaign that's sort of set in the 1600-1700's.

The setting is essentially "Carribean pirates if magic existed and guns didn't."

I need a name for a captain, a cook, a gunner (blasty sorcerer), and a first mate. They're all human or half-elven.

My thanks in advance.

Cog
2011-04-08, 12:53 PM
http://donjon.bin.sh/name/#elvish_male and http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/ may be of use to you.

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-08, 12:57 PM
Captain [INSERT COLOR HERE]beard.

Wait. I take that back.

Captain [INSERT ADJECTIVE HERE]beard.

No, wait, I take that back again. I forgot elves and half elves can't grow beards.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-08, 12:59 PM
No, wait, I take that back again. I forgot elves and half elves can't grow beards.

Thus is half my problem. The captain's a half-elf.

Cog
2011-04-08, 01:04 PM
The Dread Captain Nullbeard.

McSmack
2011-04-08, 01:21 PM
When I think of pirates I don't see people with stong family ties or a very standard home life. So family names don't seem to fit as well. It follows that they might give themselves names e.g. Blackbeard, Bluebeard, etc. So it's not far out there to think that at least some part of their name would relate to a distinguishing feature or prehaps their profession.

Captain Darius Windrunner- an half-elf quick of mind and body.
John Cooke, Butcher, or Fish - the ships cook probably doesn't have a fancy name, because if he were really charasmatic or intelligent he'd probably be doing something more important than cooking.
Janissary- 'cannoneer' female human blaster. her friends call her Jan or Sari. (Janissaries were turkish fighters that were some of the earliest to upgrade to firearms as standard equipment IIRC)
'Crackshot' McGillicutty or Muldoone- blaster type
Montgomery - First mate- human

Moriato
2011-04-08, 01:28 PM

Actually I think half-elves can. I seem to remember seeing book art of half-elves with beards. I imagine it would be kind of thin or scraggly though. Captain Halfbeard? Wait, CAPTAIN SOULPATCH! No wait.. that sounds like a really lame superhero.

PollyOliver
2011-04-08, 02:10 PM
Are any of them missing bits? "One-ear" and "Ninefingers" always make fun epithets. For the sorcerer, maybe "Shipburner"? As in Josyas Shipburner and Captain James Ninefingers. I can't think of anything for the first mate, and every cook-related name I can think of is a silly pun.

Edited to give real-world first names

The Glyphstone
2011-04-08, 02:13 PM
Just call the cook 'Cookie'. Simple and descriptive. And if you later want puns, have him wander around the ship singing "The sea is for Cookie, it's good enough for me..."

person29
2011-04-08, 02:57 PM

Wait. I take that back.

I think the half-elf in the PHB has facial hair

Eldan
2011-04-08, 02:58 PM
Set in our world? I'm a fan of Spanish and French names for pirates, really.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-04-08, 03:20 PM
The captain should be called Fullbeard, which buys him a round of confusion if he needs it when they find out he's clean-shaven.

Kaeso
2011-04-08, 06:09 PM

Wait. I take that back.

Captain Fistbeard Beardfist?

Pokonic
2011-04-08, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusWolfe

Wait. I take that back.

Captain Fistbeard Beardfist?
Arrg, you beat me to it!:smallbiggrin:

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-04-08, 06:18 PM
uh... Dread Pirate Roberts. Come on, you had to see that one coming.

bloodtide
2011-04-08, 06:54 PM
One of the famous pirates from my Campaign:

All-Hands OnDeck-A flamboyant halfling pirate.

Also nautical/ship terms are popular with pirates. Things like 'big sail' or 'hard hull' or the classic keel as in keelhaul.

Also sea terms, like shark bait, squid eye, hard wave, or briney deep.

And all fun fun goofy ones:

Exxon Landho--who once ran his ship around...
Titantic Icebottom--who once hit an iceberg...
Argo GoldenFleece--an expolorer and avdenturer
Bismark Ironbottom--A big, mean troll
Friday Luckystar--who has bad and good luck
Edmund Fitzgerald-I live on the Great Lakes

Morph Bark
2011-04-08, 06:58 PM

Makes me think a good name would be Hansen van der Decken. :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-08, 07:00 PM

And all fun fun goofy ones:

Exxon Landho--who once ran his ship around...
Titantic Icebottom--who once hit an iceberg...
Argo GoldenFleece--an expolorer and avdenturer
Bismark Ironbottom--A big, mean troll
Friday Luckystar--who has bad and good luck
Edmund Fitzgerald-I live on the Great Lakes

Can I post these on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187326)? Or do you want to post them?

BRC
2011-04-08, 07:00 PM
I need help with names for a few swashbuckling NPC's. I'm terrible at names, so I'm requesting your help. They should be fairly serious (no puns, please), and should be realistic for a campaign that's sort of set in the 1600-1700's.

The setting is essentially "Carribean pirates if magic existed and guns didn't."

I need a name for a captain, a cook, a gunner (blasty sorcerer), and a first mate. They're all human or half-elven.

My thanks in advance.

The Captain: Captain Rodger "Iron Eye" Gullsen.

The Cook: Cookie or Chef.
The Gunner: Handsome Jack.
The First Mate: Gregor The Blade.

Crossblade
2011-04-08, 09:04 PM
http://www.piratenames.net/
or
Anyone from here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOa_YMOzEGQ)

Or to make your own, the typical way to do it is:
Take a normal name. (first or last)
Take an object related to pirates.
Optional: Take an adjective to add to the object or just use an adjective instead.

Examples:
Cannonball Bill or Short Cannon Bill
Silver Gun Stevens
Peg Leg Pete
Hungry Parrot Elye
Black Anchor Tom
Hairless Arthur
Two Patch Angus (ok, I sort of stole that from Yogscast)
The Cruel Pirate Lewis

You get the idea.

Malimar
2011-04-08, 09:16 PM
I simply cannot have a pirate crew without naming the bo'sun Higgs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson). It's just not possible.

My last campaign actually primarily used a pirate ship for base camp, but the NPC crew mostly used the racial guidelines for their names rather than piratey names. Which is to say, they just kept whatever names they had before they became pirates. A bit prosaic, but you might consider switching a couple of the names up like that, unless you want this to be the piratiest bunch of pirates ever to pirate a pirated thing.

zephyrkinetic
2011-04-08, 10:28 PM
I must input the idea of a cook named Gibs. Pronounced "Jibbs," like in giblets. I don't think it's unrealistic for the cook's name to be a food pun.
"Cooky" always works, too.

nixxieraindrop
2011-04-08, 10:39 PM
What about... Captain Derryk Cutlass? Derryk meaning "the people's ruler" and cutlass meaning... Well, awesome pointy thing. Therefore, ruling by the sword.

Jack Zander
2011-04-08, 10:58 PM
I was gonna point to my avatar and suggest you use the name Roberts, but looks like someone beat me to it.

NamelessNPC
2011-04-09, 12:23 AM
The Captain: Captain Rodger "Iron Eye" Gullsen.

The Cook: Cookie or Chef.
The Gunner: Handsome Jack.
The First Mate: Gregor The Blade.

For some reason, these names sound really awesome

Dsurion
2011-04-09, 02:11 AM
For some reason, these names sound really awesomeI don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.

chainer1216
2011-04-09, 04:46 AM
"Magnus Warfield" is the best pirate name i've ever heard.

Morph Bark
2011-04-09, 07:50 AM
What about... Captain Derryk Cutlass? Derryk meaning "the people's ruler" and cutlass meaning... Well, awesome pointy thing. Therefore, ruling by the sword.

Consider the name Dirk means the same thing as well as something quite similar to cutlass, Dirk Cutlass would be quite something. :smallamused:

Or if he is known as a criminal and mostly murdering helpless people, Cut-a-lass.

BRC
2011-04-09, 08:01 AM
I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.

Can I sig that?

Dsurion
2011-04-09, 08:17 AM
Can I sig that?Please do :smallsmile:

And rather than just continue to blather on not on topic...

A lot of sailors were common people with common names based on their family trade. It's entirely realistic to name people Smith, Cook, Cooper, etc., and translate into a different language if you want. Personally, I've found that pirates are more interesting when they have fairly common names rather than exotic ones.

Feldarove
2011-04-09, 08:58 AM
Sort of a different flavor, but check out a few of the Somali Pirates names.

I often think of pirate ships as a collection of the outcast of many different nations. So not everyone would have a british or Cut-throat Jack type of name.

Perhaps the first-mate is a massive, dark skinned half-orc named : Abdiwali

He is from far away island and speaks a language that know one knows, and also very broken common; which is comprised of mostly vulgar commands.

Going with the out-cast idea, you could have the captain be a naval officer gone rogue. So he could have a really proper sounding name like:

Captain Reginal Huntington
or
Captain Deudermont (a la RA salvatore)

Just some thoughts,

Cirrhosis
2011-04-09, 12:32 PM
First mate Broseph? Captain Mantonio? Gunner Dudewardo?

person29
2011-04-09, 12:44 PM
When I had pirates play a major part of a campaign the crew I can remember of the top of my head consisted of:

Cpt - Dread Pirate Roberts (human rogue/dread pirate)
1st Mate - Xane (half-orc sorc/dragon disciple...was secretly evil, party thought he was a fighter or ranger until late in the campaign when he gained wings and started slinging spells)
Crows nest - Delmer (elf-ranger with no legs...but kickass archery :) ) his animal companion was a hawk named crow
There was a cleric can't remember his name, the chef named cook, stowaway kid named bartender jr, a crazy swashbuckler/gambler type named chris and a few others im not remembering as it was a few years ago

goodluck with your game!

nixxieraindrop
2011-04-09, 09:08 PM
Consider the name Dirk means the same thing as well as something quite similar to cutlass, Dirk Cutlass would be quite something. :smallamused:

Or if he is known as a criminal and mostly murdering helpless people, Cut-a-lass.

Well upstaged. :smallsmile:

Dirk Cutlass definitely needs a cleft chin. And a horse.

zephyrkinetic
2011-04-09, 09:13 PM
Well upstaged. :smallsmile:

Dirk Cutlass definitely needs a cleft chin. And a horse.

Look at your ship; now look at mine. Look back at yours, now back to mine.

Look in my hand. It's a ship's roster. Look again; the crew has now mutinied!.

Your ship is mine.

I'm on a horse.

dgnslyr
2011-04-09, 09:28 PM
Maybe you should name the cook Tavish DeGroot?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFbEBopHTH66B1lse4UxNf46CKaFKWA Fi5r3Rt8EYzLuPJZLfXGg&t=1
Demopan, anybody?
My creativity gland isn't feeling active today...
When in doubt, Captain NounVerb or AdjectiveNoun both work well. This applies to anybody, really.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-09, 09:42 PM
Look at your ship; now look at mine. Look back at yours, now back to mine.

Look in my hand. It's a ship's roster. Look again; the crew has now mutinied!.

Your ship is mine.

I'm on a horse.

Now look at my horse, my horse is amazing...

Greenish
2011-04-10, 01:04 PM
Call me Ishmael. :smallamused:

Pirate Jenny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFP3x4bKpZE)
Mack the Knife (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgYgl4OodeY)
Stack'o'Lee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8S-Pu6T0Q0)

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-10, 01:27 PM
Call me Ishmael. :smallamused:

Excuse me, I believe the original poster has requested PIRATE names, not names for NPCs who took all 5 levels of Leviathan Hunter from Stormwrack.

And besides, even if she had, I believe that Ahab is a much better name, at least for the Captain. Maybe Starbuck if they're an elf or a half elf. Queequeg for the orc or half orc or even human who took levels in barbarian before going into Leviathan Hunter.

Greenish
2011-04-10, 01:39 PM
Excuse me, I believe the original poster has requested PIRATE names, not names for NPCs who took all 5 levels of Leviathan Hunter from Stormwrack.Ah, but he became a pirate afterwards.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090927124048/lxg/images/f/f6/Ishmael.png

[Edit]: Besides, it's not like MacHeath or Stagger Lee were pirates either, but the names fit.

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-10, 01:52 PM
Ah, but he became a pirate afterwards.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090927124048/lxg/images/f/f6/Ishmael.png

Ishmael was one of Nemo's crew in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Alan Moore, you sly dog....

Greenish
2011-04-10, 01:58 PM
Ishmael was one of Nemo's crew in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Alan Moore, you sly dog....He is the first mate of Nautilus. When the others first meet him, he introduces himself with, well, you'll probably guess.