PDA

View Full Version : Double-posting

Project_Mayhem
2011-04-08, 12:50 PM
Just a quick question:

I am aware that double-posting is 'generally frowned upon'. I've seen several situations where its considered ok - for example, build guides and the like.

Would it be acceptable to double post in a campaign journal I'm writing if I have to? I don't plan to make a habit of it, but if i want to pick it back up, I need too.

Icewalker
2011-04-08, 12:52 PM
If you're starting a new thread to present some creation, and have so much content that you cannot fit it into one post without going over character limits, then it's generally alright. Sounds like that's about what you're doing?

If you mean that you've put up content in a thread of yours recently, and want to put up more but nobody has posted since, if you can edit it into your latest post that'd probably be best.

Project_Mayhem
2011-04-08, 01:05 PM
The situation is this - a few weeks ago, I posted the first part of a campaign journal. Noone posted replys (:smallfrown:), but I've been encouraged to continue it. If I edit it, it's still on page 6.

Douglas
2011-04-08, 01:27 PM
All that's in the actual stated rules is that it's "generally frowned upon" and is in the "Please Don't" section and would therefore at worst get a Warning unless you've been doing it a lot.

As for actual practice, as long as there is a clear reason for a new post instead of an edit other than drawing attention to material that was already there in my experience it is unlikely to be punished or complained about. Posting significant new content after a long delay seems like it should qualify. I am not a mod, however, so don't take this as official board policy.

If you really want to be certain you're clear, either wait for a mod to answer here or PM a mod directly. If it were me, though, I'd just go ahead and post.

Mad Mask
2011-04-08, 03:17 PM
The situation is this - a few weeks ago, I posted the first part of a campaign journal. Noone posted replys (:smallfrown:), but I've been encouraged to continue it. If I edit it, it's still on page 6.

I would personally wait for a mod's answer; from what I've seen, the mods recommend caution when you are faced with ambiguously rule-breaking situations.

If you want to attract viewership, how about posting a link in your signature? As long as you are not spamming unrelated threads just so people can look at it, it's perfectly fine.

Neftren
2011-04-08, 03:27 PM

If you're actually adding (new) content, and it's a form of homebrew thread, then it would most likely be alright to double-post. What you're perhaps referring to would be "bumping" threads for the sake of getting views and/or posts. That's probably looked down upon more than if you're actually adding content and you would like to split it up into several posts, where your reason might be for example, maybe archival or indexing purposes.

Rawhide
2011-04-08, 05:26 PM
If you're adding significant new content and it has been a long time (we're talking days/weeks here, not hours), then a double post is acceptable.

If it is purely to bump the thread, then that is definitely not acceptable.