PDA

View Full Version : How to be a good Dm.

TheThan
2011-04-08, 01:24 PM
There have been many questions posted on the forums as of late asking for advice on Dming. I’ve seen questions like “what if my players do this”, and “was it right for me to do this”, "is it ok to keep secrets". This shows there are a lot of inexperienced Dms visiting the forum and that they clearly need and want help. So this is an effort to help them out.

I’ve been Dming for about 11 years now and I like to think I’ve become good at it. I know there are many DMs here who have much more experience than I do (and are probably better), so feel free to chime in if you have something to add. These pieces of advice are not written in any specific order. Also I use the term DM throughout this document, if your preferred system uses some other designation (GM, storyteller etc) don’t worry, the names are pretty interchangeable. This document is pretty universal anyway.

1: Dm more games.
The best way to become a good Dm is to practice. Many of the skills that a Dm needs are learned skills that can’t really be taught by someone else. They have to be learned through trial and error. The more you practice these skills the better you’ll get at them. I’m talking about skills such as Ad-libbing, role-playing, handling player disputes etc. The old adage “practice makes perfect” is very true.

2: study
No matter what system you’re using, there will be rules to know. You can almost think of a gaming session as a test. Now what do you do for tests? You study. The more you study, the better you’ll know your material. So when someone does something common but difficult (grappling in 3.x comes to mind) you can handle it without having to spend ten minutes looking it up. Gaming in this day and age is great because the internet gives us access to a tremendous amount of resources. This website is one of them, so feel free to ask a question if you’re stumped. Knowing your material will make your games run smoother, you’ll spend less time reading the book and more time killing dragons and rescuing damsels in distress.

3: stick to your guns.
A tremendous amount of DMing is based entirely on judgment calls. As a player, I hate wishy washy Dms that can’t stick to their decision. When you’re forced to make a rules call, stick with your ruling for the session. Go back to point 2 and research that up after the game, and then inform the players of the appropriate changes at the beginning of the next session. If there are no answers in the rules, and you can’t come up with a better solution than the one you were forced to ad-libb, then by all means stick to it. I know I as a player will respect a Dm more when they stick to their guns about rules, than I will a dm that can’t make a rules call on his own. The important thing here is not to go back and forth. This also applies to character generation rules, house rules and just about any rule or decision you have to make.

4: don’t be afraid of mistakes
This is a very important aspect of Dming. You’re going to make mistakes (heck I still do), so don’t be afraid of them, mistakes are a good learning tool, we as humanoids have a tendency to learn from our mistakes in real life, so there is no real reason to not do this at the gaming table. If you have to have a note pad and scratch notes down during the session, so be it. The important thing is to walk away with more knowledge and experience then you had before.

5: feedback
This is tied to number 4. In order to improve your game, you need to know what you did wrong, and what you did right. So it’s a good idea to ask for feedback from your players, get them to be honest and tell you what they thought. Some people try not to offend and just say something like “you did just fine”. Well, pry what they really thought about your game/session. Find out what they liked, what they didn’t like, what they want more of and what they want less of. No two players and no two groups are identical. You sort of need to learn how to be flexible and bend a bit towards the sensibilities of your players. After all what’s the point of being a Dm if you have no players? Getting feedback will help you judge what you’re doing “right” and what you’re doing “wrong”.

Its also important that you pay attention to your players body language. Do they fidget with their dice when there is nothing for them to kill? Are people getting up and fetching a snack during an important NPC conversation? Are they pulling out their PSP during combat and ignoring what going on? These are all good indications that they were not interested or engaged in what was going on. Figure out what catches their interest and give it to them. Keep in mind that not everyone will be interested in the same thing. This means you have to create a balancing act to keep everyone at your table engaged in what is happening. This is all feedback you can use to improve your Dming skills.

6: If Your Players Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong.
There is no universal style of Dming. No two Dms have the same style. As long as everyone is having fun at your table (including yourself) then everything is fine. I know some players that are horrendous power gamers, their Dm is forced to fight back tooth and nail to challenge them. I don’t care too much for that style of game (despite being pretty good at power gaming myself). But you know what? They all enjoy the game and therefore are doing nothing “wrong”.

On the other hand I’ve heard of quite a few DMs who have driven their players away. There are lots of reasons for this, ranting at players, Tyranny (even going to so far as to demand their players do things for him outside of the game), blatant railroading, and intimidation of players. There’s even a (now famous) story on these very forums of a Dm that managed to get himself arrested. Fortunately I’ve never had to deal with a Dm like this, and I hope you never will either. The point is these are examples of Dms that ruined the game for their players (and ultimately themselves). People stopped playing in their games because the game was not fun for them to play in.

As a Dm you have to be somewhat flexible and bend to what your players enjoy. This does not mean you have to bend to every whim of your players, but pay attention to what sort of style they enjoy and try to provide that for them. Ultimately its your job to make sure your players are entertained.

7: have fun.
The entire point of playing RPGS and being a Dm is to have fun. You’re entitled to have fun too. If Dming ever becomes a chore and you find yourself not wanting to be a Dm, then stop. Let someone else pick up the mantle for a while. If one aspect of Dming bothers you, deal with that first and get it out of the way, then you can focus on the aspects that you enjoy. People don’t pick up hobbies they don’t enjoy, so my advice is to try to derive fun out of all aspects of being a DM.

edit
major changes to points 5 and 6.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-08, 01:35 PM
I dislike this list. Lemme fix it.

1: Dm more games.
The best way to become a good Dm is to practice.

While true, you should also play. Lots. Variety of experience is critical.

2: study

This one is also solid. No complaints here.

3: stick to your guns.

Feh. Be right, first. Explain why you are right. Listen to the reasons as to why you might not be right, and adapt if you are not. Sticking to your guns is not a virtue in itself.

4: don’t be afraid of mistakes

Feh. Everyone makes mistakes. Fear is irrelevant to it. Accept that you will, and be willing to correct them.

I would like to replace this rule with 4. Do not set your players on fire.

In every game where this rule was not followed, it was bad. Well, spectacular, and later bad.

5: feedback

Good...but you need to go beyond this. People will soft-pedal stuff to avoid being disruptive, etc. Watch how people are engaged. Are they bored and rolling dice lots while waiting for other things to finish up? Think about how to fix that.

6: there is no “right” or “wrong” way.

Oh, there are many wrong ways. For the doubters, see rule 4.

More importantly, there are better and worse ways. Strive to get better.

Replace this rule with 6: Tequila, handguns, and D&D do not should not mix.

Sipex
2011-04-08, 01:35 PM
So far so good, one I'll add after seeing one of my players start to DM.

Don't take flak from your players.
You're the closest thing the game has to a boss and you need to stick to that and not let your players bully you. This doesn't mean you need to be inflexible but also don't feel pressured to rule in the player's favour just because they're willing to complain about something.

Example: You have a player who likes to make characters but you rule they're only allowed to play one as it's not fair to the rest of the group and it bogs down the game. One day you're a player short for some reason and this player tries to convince you to let them bring in their second character and you're not comfortable with it even if they have a good point (ie: We're a man short!). Stick to your guns.

Vladislav
2011-04-08, 01:36 PM
A very good guide! I'd also add "know your players". Knowing what floats their boat, be it a pitched battle, a devilish puzzle or some good old face-to-face roleplay, is as important as any other aspect of the game.

I guess this might fall under the 'feedback' section, but a good DM has to be able to read his players' preferences on the fly, without resorting to a Q&A session.

Edit: indeed, there is no one "right" way. There are however many "wrong" ways. :smallwink:

Yukitsu
2011-04-08, 01:54 PM
I would like to replace this rule with 4. Do not set your players on fire.

Replace this rule with 6: Tequila, handguns, and D&D do not should not mix.

Then how am I supposed to throw my congratulatory "you've hit level 10!" events? :smallfrown:

Tyndmyr
2011-04-08, 02:06 PM
Then how am I supposed to throw my congratulatory "you've hit level 10!" events? :smallfrown:

The answer to this entirely depends on how badly you want everyone to reach level 11.

Talakeal
2011-04-08, 02:25 PM
When asked my player's told me that their biggest complaint was that I was never able to make up my mind clearly about a ruling and stick to it. They do an imitation of me giving wishy washy answers in a nasal voice rather reminiscent of George Mcfly in the first back to the future move.

So yes, I would say knowing the rules and sticking to your guns are important.

Of course my players do argue for hours on end if I do put my foot down in a manner they disagree with, so maybe there is just no pleasing some people.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-08, 02:33 PM
First, I'm gonna say that I support TheThan's list here.

A special note about #6: the sentiment is correct, but the label is misleading. Obviously there are "right" and "wrong" ways of DMing, or this list wouldn't exist.

Proposed Rule #6: If Your Players Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong.

This is the sort of maxim that all good DMs need to keep in the front of their brain. The only way you can judge whether you're DMing "rightly" or "wrongly" is with respect to a given group of Players. Not all Players are the same - and the same Players may play differently with different groups!

The mark of a Good DM is that he is able to DM "rightly" for a large variety of Players. Bad DMs are only able to DM "rightly" for a narrow selection of Player types and have no interest in learning to DM for others.

mucco
2011-04-08, 02:33 PM
Most of the time, my problem does not lie in making judgment calls, knowing rules, or whatever else. I find I am pretty good at making on the fly adjustments if they are needed. My problems are mostly with creating unique, intriguing storylines or characters that draw the interest of the players. At least, I have never had anyone complain about the lack of a story or such, but I always felt like I wasn't good enough there.

There's only one full-fledged campaign I have run so far (15 levels and going) and looking back, there is not much of a story to be told, while looking forward, I can't see a final battle/confrontation/mystery that will feel like the capstone in the campaign. That disappoints me. I really wish I were a better storyteller, and most of the "good DM" guides deal with people management and CR issues, not my biggest problems.

Lord Vampyre
2011-04-08, 02:53 PM
First, I'm gonna say that I support TheThan's list here.

A special note about #6: the sentiment is correct, but the label is misleading. Obviously there are "right" and "wrong" ways of DMing, or this list wouldn't exist.

Proposed Rule #6: If Your Players Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong.

I would also agree that this list is fairly accurate, but in connection with Rule #6, rule #7 should read: If You Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong.

Yes, DMing can be a lot of work. But at the end of the day, gaming is meant to be fun for all parties involved, including the DM.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-08, 02:59 PM
I would also agree that this list is fairly accurate, but in connection with Rule #6, rule #7 should read: If You Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong.

Yes, DMing can be a lot of work. But at the end of the day, gaming is meant to be fun for all parties involved, including the DM.
I second this reformulation :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-04-08, 03:01 PM
The answer to this entirely depends on how badly you want everyone to reach level 11.

Bah. They started learning real magic at level 8. If they really wanted to reach level 11, they should have learned Slow Poison and Protection from Arrows.

TheThan
2011-04-08, 03:07 PM
Ok made some changed to points 5 and 6 in th OP. what do you think?

Oracle_Hunter
2011-04-08, 03:10 PM
There's only one full-fledged campaign I have run so far (15 levels and going) and looking back, there is not much of a story to be told, while looking forward, I can't see a final battle/confrontation/mystery that will feel like the capstone in the campaign. That disappoints me. I really wish I were a better storyteller, and most of the "good DM" guides deal with people management and CR issues, not my biggest problems.
To be honest, the reason this isn't covered in most "Good DM" threads is because it is more of a Science than an Art. Plotting a good campaign is much like writing a good story: you obey the logic of plot-based works and you'll come out fine.

Also: sometimes telling the story is more important than where it started or where it ended. This is particularly true in Pen & Paper RPGs.

EDIT: @TheThan

Looks good. I'd go for catchier titles, myself.
(1) Practice Makes Perfect

(2) Know the Rules, Be the Rules

(3) Stick to Your Guns

(4) Don't be Afraid of Making Mistakes

(5) Always Get Feedback and Listen to it

(6) If Your Players Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong

(7) If You Aren't Having Fun, You're Doing It Wrong

navar100
2011-04-08, 03:16 PM
Do not think of your players as the enemy.

Remember that as DM your job requirement does not include must kill the player characters as possible.

You run the campaign, but it's the players' game too. You are not the players' Lord and Master to be Obeyed or Else.

Do not make a character's ability absolutely worthless. It's ok for a particular adventure arc for a character to be out of his element, but that should not be true for every or most adventure arcs. If the wizard just learned Fireball, not every single monster should be having fire resistance nor every humanoid bad guy evasion. If the fighter likes to trip his opponents, stop it already with the large four-legged flying creatures.

You are not betraying DMs everywhere if a player character happens to be powerful where powerful does not mean to the point of "winning" D&D. This includes 1st level with no negative ability score modifier.

It's ok for players to know stuff. Particular bad guy stats, hidden plot elements, etc. can be unknown, sure, some mystery enhances the game, but characters do not travel as ignorant nobodies. This is a subjective fine line, certainly, but if you are constantly telling your players "You just don't know", then it's time to put down your ego.

Someone playing a paladin gives you no right to auto-hose the player in no win situations that cause him to fall.

Savannah
2011-04-08, 06:56 PM
As important as DM more games is Play more games. If you want to improve your DMing you should play as many games as you can with as many DMs as you can. You can learn tons by watching how different DMs do things. The more experience you have with different styles, the better you can adapt your DMing to your specific group, as well as learning what is and is not fun from the players' perspective.

I also disagree somewhat with Stick to your guns. Yes, it's important to make a ruling and move on in order to keep the game moving, but you don't want to annoy your players by refusing to listen to them. If a rules question comes up with one of my games, I generally make a ruling and, if anyone doesn't like it, I listen to their argument and then either change my ruling if I think they're correct or I decide to stick to my ruling, with the promise that we'll look it up and discuss it after the session is over.

Also, I agree completely with all of navar100's points.