PDA

View Full Version : FPS games suitable for children (ages 8-10)

super dark33
2011-04-08, 02:33 PM
Today my young brother watched me playing minecraft, so he wanted to play too.
The problem is, he isnt very good at aiming and walking in FPS, so i want to know:
Is there an FPS game, easy enough, not gorey or dark so my brother can play and wont envy me for playing such games?

Thankes from advence.

Maxios
2011-04-08, 02:44 PM
Well, there's Paintball video-games that are FPS.

chiasaur11
2011-04-08, 02:45 PM
Chex Quest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chex_Quest)?

Funky Goose
2011-04-08, 02:54 PM
How about this??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6fq9Aadwk) :smallamused:

Abemad
2011-04-08, 03:26 PM
How about Nerf Arena Blast? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPRwdFDXU4&feature=related) It was actually kind of fun :smallwink:

dgnslyr
2011-04-08, 03:36 PM
Just how kid-friendly do you need? Little to no gore seems obvious, but what about killing in general? I guess if you tinker around with console, you can remove blood splats for some of the less gore-intensive games.

Also, Birthday (http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Party_mode) mode for TF2. Instead of bloods spats, you get balloons, and instead of little gibbets of flesh and organs, you have the very kid-friendly unicycles and presents.

AlterForm
2011-04-08, 03:47 PM
Perhaps Tag, the Power of Paint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag:_The_Power_of_Paint)?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-04-08, 03:49 PM
The atmosphere is a bit creepy/scary at times, but what about Portal? It's short, lets you think outside the box, and isn't gory except for one instance: when you get shot by a turret, and there's a wall behind, blood shows up on the wall.

super dark33
2011-04-08, 04:05 PM
Oh, about gore: blood wont harm,but not too much blood

dgnslyr
2011-04-08, 04:18 PM
Half Life 2 is a great FPS all around, and is pretty tame in the gore department. Also, pretty much all the enemies are "inhuman," so you get around some ethical problems with that. I bet there's a way to remove the blood spats if you tinker with the console, too, so you're left with a fun, clean game.

If the kid's particularly impressionable, you may even instill in him a dream to go to MiT to become a theoretical physicist.

Just suggest he not go through Ravenholm. That place is SCARY. :smalleek:

Hey, AlterForm, you meant the Power of Paint, not the Power of Pain, right?

As for Portal, it's certainly a first-person game, but it's a puzzle game, so while it resembles an FPS your little brother is looking for, it's really not.

Tarinaky
2011-04-08, 04:23 PM
I don;t understand... what's wrong with Minecraft? He only can't walk/aim well because he's not practised. It's an acquired skill, same as anything else.

dgnslyr
2011-04-08, 04:28 PM
I guess the exploding green phallic-looking critters are too traumatizing?

Shyftir
2011-04-08, 04:31 PM
there were mods for unreal tournament 99, that made your enemies disolve into particles of light instead of be blown to smithereens. Turn that mod on and "no mature taunts" and it would be fairly clean.

Also the nerf shooter games. They are actually pretty fun and fully clean, if a bit Beyond the Impossible. (My foam darts knock out your super robots, ha!)

TheSummoner
2011-04-08, 04:35 PM
You could let him play Megaman: 8-Bit Deathmatch. The style makes it most appealing to people who actually grew up in the 8-bit era and played the original games, but its loads of fun and about as non-violent as a FPS can get (no blood or swearing or anything like that)

Probably best to limit him to the story mode and offline skirmishes against bots though... Atleast until he gets good at them.

The 8-Bit style might be a deterrant if hes one of the people who puts graphics above all else (theres a whole rant here, but I'll spare you), but if he thinks Minecraft is appealing, he probably won't have any problem with the way this game looks.

Kane
2011-04-08, 05:26 PM
Portal?
Really, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet...

dgnslyr
2011-04-08, 05:30 PM
Portal?
Really, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet...

That's because it has.

The atmosphere is a bit creepy/scary at times, but what about Portal? It's short, lets you think outside the box, and isn't gory except for one instance: when you get shot by a turret, and there's a wall behind, blood shows up on the wall.

Jahkaivah
2011-04-08, 05:31 PM
I don;t understand... what's wrong with Minecraft? He only can't walk/aim well because he's not practised. It's an acquired skill, same as anything else.

Yeah, I would say the best game to play if you want to learn how to play Minecraft is Minecraft.

Sir
2011-04-08, 05:38 PM
Strangely, I can relate. My six year old brother-in-law (Don't ask) saw me and my other teen-age brother playing minecraft, so he wanted to, to. We gave him classic for awhile, he had some fun, so my father bought him a copy of minecraft and we let him on to our server. He doesn't do much, but we just give him materials with OP commands and let him build little brick towers. Works out well for an average six year old, so 8-10 should work allot better :smallsmile:.

Closet_Skeleton
2011-04-08, 06:08 PM
Doom. Its what I played at his age.:smallwink:

RPharazon
2011-04-08, 06:19 PM

Doom, Quake, Quake II were my standby first FPS games.
I think I turned out alright. A little blood and gore won't cause any lasting damage. Just make sure to be a good person and make them know the difference between reality and video games. Don't let them turn into one of the little kids on Xbox Live who use racial slurs every other word, is all.

GolemsVoice
2011-04-08, 06:30 PM
Hmm. Mass Effect? It has plenty of roleplaying, and some very mature decision, and the action sometimes takes a backseat to talking, but if that doesn't bother him, you know it's a fun and educating game, with many shooter elements.

Hmm. Republic Commando was fun, and mostly bloodless, as far as I remember. And all kids love Star Wars.

chiasaur11
2011-04-08, 06:50 PM
Hmm. Mass Effect? It has plenty of roleplaying, and some very mature decision, and the action sometimes takes a backseat to talking, but if that doesn't bother him, you know it's a fun and educating game, with many shooter elements.

Sex, swearing (all the classics show), horrific implied torture.

Not ideal for the kiddie set. Not the worst or anything, but it's definitely not a 8-10 unless it's an exceptionally mature kid.

Also, third person.

Lord Loss
2011-04-08, 08:38 PM
It may be a PS2 exclsuive, but if it's not, Star Wars Battlefront 2 is awesome. I got it for christmas along with Shadow the Hedgehog and my PS2 when I was in grade five and I loved both. It was a bit tough at the time, but it doesn't have a drop of blood and it's STAR WARS. I still pull it out once in a while for some instant action (Mos Eisley Assault or the Campaign never fail to dissapoint).

Ricky S
2011-04-08, 08:44 PM
Go to a games store, any game with a rating lower than M15+ or PG13 (if you live in America), is a good bet. There is a reason they have age ratings, to help you find appropriate games for certain age groups.

At 8-10 the scariest game I played was dinocrisis. Pretty fun but I usually just ran away from the dinosaurs and I didn't complete it till I was a couple of years older.

Mando Knight
2011-04-08, 09:37 PM
It may be a PS2 exclsuive, but if it's not, Star Wars Battlefront 2 is awesome.

It most definitely isn't. It's available for XBox and PC as well, and if you need a shop to buy it in, Steam does distribute it.

Science Officer
2011-04-08, 11:25 PM
How about Nerf Arena Blast? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPRwdFDXU4&feature=related) It was actually kind of fun :smallwink:

Seconded. Definitely. Very fun game.

same, but I didn't play it for long...

stabbybelkar
2011-04-10, 12:10 AM
What about the Star Wars battlefont games? they're FPS games but true to the films there's next to no gore at all.

never mind, I see I got ninja'd

Triaxx
2011-04-10, 07:22 AM
Find a copy of Turok 2. You can turn off the blood, or even just turn it green.

Nice and shooty, but without the blood and gore.

Or one of the Mechwarrior games. Violence, but no gore.

Mando Knight
2011-04-10, 12:06 PM
Go to a games store, any game with a rating lower than M15+ or PG13 (if you live in America), is a good bet.
Since you're from Australia, I'll give you the tip for free: the ratings in America do have rather analogous levels between video games and movies, but they're adjudicated by two different companies. PG13 is the MPAA's rating for movies with material that should be viewed with parental guidance particularly for those under the age of 13, while the equivalent rating for video games is the ESRB's T (for Teen).

Or one of the Mechwarrior games. Violence, but no gore.
Unless you call a fusion reactor detonation gore. There may be a bit of language (or implied language) as well, but it's mostly fun giant stompy robot action... after you set the controls to something you're more used to.

Triaxx
2011-04-10, 08:03 PM
No blood, not gore. That's all.

Cogwheel
2011-04-10, 08:22 PM
I know it's a nintendo game and all, but since it's... somewhat different from their usual fare, would you consider Metroid Prime unsuitable?

chiasaur11
2011-04-10, 08:41 PM
I know it's a nintendo game and all, but since it's... somewhat different from their usual fare, would you consider Metroid Prime unsuitable?

Oh!

PRIME choice, those. Can't believe I forgot. You only shoot aliens, zombies, and robots, minimal guts, clever gameplay.

Cogwheel
2011-04-10, 08:50 PM
Oh!

PRIME choice, those. Can't believe I forgot. You only shoot aliens, zombies, and robots, minimal guts, clever gameplay.

Somewhat infuriating tendency to get lost/stumped, though. For me, anyway.

Winthur
2011-04-10, 09:04 PM
Super Noah's Ark 3D. Lol.

chiasaur11
2011-04-11, 12:16 AM
Somewhat infuriating tendency to get lost/stumped, though. For me, anyway.

Just turn on the hints for one.

Don't kick in until you get really lost, but they help.

smuchmuch
2011-04-12, 07:19 AM
You could try Word of padman (http://padworld.myexp.de/index.php?news).
it's basicaly Quake 3 based (started a a mod for it but now it's a free stand alone game) but with a bright colorfull cartoony ambiance.
I don't think there's any gore per se and it's still funny in a wacky kind of way

Gaelbert
2011-04-12, 05:56 PM
Tag is an excellent game, I highly recommend it. Along the same lines is Narbacular Drop (https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=501), the inspiration for Portal. It's short and fairly easy. Also fun.

otakuryoga
2011-04-12, 10:48 PM
there is always the cartoon network free to play game...fusionfall i think the name is?
hybrid shooter/platformer type game

Gimliggamer
2011-04-12, 11:05 PM
Well, I played halo at the age of five, so I'm probably not the best person to ask..>.>

Dienekes
2011-04-12, 11:11 PM
If memory serves it's a third person shooter, but I can't see this thread and not think Jet Force Gemini. You fight ants and other bugs so the violence isn't so bad, and you try to save the race of teddy bears. Also you have a dog with a gun on his back that can fly.

It's one of my most nostalgic games.

TaRix
2011-04-13, 09:35 AM
If you don't mind partially-digested-meals on the keyboard, what about Descent? If that game doesn't give you motion sickness, nothing will.
FPS in three axes, minus all blood and gore.

I'm not sure how it could be played today, though.

MoelVermillion
2011-04-14, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure how it could be played today, though.

Like this! (http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_genres/search/Descent/)

bluewind95
2011-04-14, 10:02 PM
The game that comes on the 3DS, Face Raiders, is awesome.

If you had access to old games, though, I'd recommend Faceball 2000. Simple, and it's just smiley faces shooting each other.

Leecros
2011-04-15, 04:58 PM
If you don't mind partially-digested-meals on the keyboard, what about Descent? If that game doesn't give you motion sickness, nothing will.

Descent has never given me motion sickness,but i still DO get motion sickness....am i weird?:smallconfused: