PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape Ranger/MoMF build

Vuann
2011-04-08, 03:34 PM
Any quick pointers on a wild shaping ranger/momf build? I'm setting one up for a PbP game and here are my rolls.

I was thinking:

16 str
18 con
14 dex
14 int
14 wis
12 cha

Planning on going human and we get an extra level 1 feat, so that's 3 feats at level 1. Need to take alertness and get it out of the way, and was thinking of a 2h build instead of TWF(since I don't get the fighting style ability).

Does this sound feasible or should I go ranged when not wild shaped?

Just looking for some quick recommendations so I can get my character together.

Gnaeus
2011-04-08, 03:39 PM
If you are taking MoMf, your two lowest scores should be Str and Dex. After about level 6-7, your character will be wildshaped virtually every moment of the day, so those stats are effectively replaced.

And yes, definitely skip TWF. Its a trap.

Keld Denar
2011-04-08, 03:51 PM
I like to grab Improved Unarmed Strike on a MoMF. You can UAS in any form, even if it doesn't have hands. Plus, this sets you up to take Improved Grapple, a bonus to any form that already has Improved Grab.

I also like a 1 level dip in Nature's Warrior. It doesn't hurt your BAB, and you get one of the nice abilities. Serpent's Coils gives you the Constrict ability, which is the ultimate ability for any form that plans on doing any grappling. A lot of cat forms have Imp Grab already, so being able to constrict is deadly awesome.

4 levels of Warshaper are also well placed. I wouldn't go more than 4, but 4 is a good number.

Depending on what level you are starting at, and what forms you want to go for, the actual order kinda matters. I'd make sure you finish at Ranger5/MoMF10/NW1/WS4, but whether or not you finish MoMF first, or nab your non-MoMF levels soonish is up to you. MoMF2 is a great point to grab your first 2 Warshaper levels, at least, and possibly the Nature's Warrior level. MoMF7 is the next point to jump out.

Do a search for the MoMF Bible, it has basically all of the forms from nearly every WotC book published, and the earliest ECL you can get them. Great resource.

Vuann
2011-04-08, 04:23 PM
Starting at level 1, and rules are core only and completes. I forgot to put that in the OT. DM counts SRD as core so I was able to get wild shaping ranger in. Is improved natural attack worth it as well?

Gnaeus
2011-04-08, 04:28 PM
Probably not, unless you are sure that you are going to be spending a LOT of time in forms with that attack.

Keld is correct in the usefulness of improved grapple.

Keld Denar
2011-04-08, 04:33 PM
INA is ok, especially for bite or claw, since like, 99% of forms have one or the other. Slam is slightly less useful, and tentacle or sting are downright rare (albeit fun!). I'd say you'll get better mileage out of something like Multiattack, as most forms will have 3+ natural weapons.

Vuann
2011-04-09, 12:56 AM
If I were to just go straight druid instead of the ranger, what would be a good race choice? Human is always good, but what about a half orc for the extra con, or a sronghearf halfling for the bonus feat and ability to have a riding dog? With my rolls it just seems i could make a beastly druid.

Gnaeus
2011-04-09, 09:03 AM
I like Gnome for druids. +2 con helps when you wildshape. Small size is really only an advantage (helps your AC, your to hit, lets you ride a wider range of pets.)

Only problem with Druid/MoMF is that druid is so awesome that MoMF is actually kind of a nerf. Still very playable though.