PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, Feats] Miscellaneous Collection

arguskos
2011-04-08, 03:55 PM
This is a random assortment of feats, most of which are either rewrites of extant feats for my personal games or things that should really exist, but don't.

Rapid Metamagic
You, unlike your kin, are quick with your metamagic effects.
Prerequisites: ability to spontaneously cast spells, Spellcraft 4 ranks, at least one metamagic feat
Benefits: You can apply metamagic to your spells with the normal casting time. This permits you to make use of the Quicken Spell metamagic feat.
Normal: Applying metamagic to spontaneous spells increases the casting time of the spells to a full-round action.

Reason for Creation: This was made awhile back for a player who wanted to play a sorcerer with a familiar from level 1 who didn't want to be gimped on his Invisible Spell silliness. So, I made it for him. This should always have been an option, IMO, without having to be an ACF from PHB2. Now it is. Most people are never going to need this feat, but here it is, if you want it.

Monkey Grip [General]
That's a big hammer. Like, woah, man.
Prerequisites: base attack bonus +1, Str 13
Benefits: You can use a weapon one size larger than normal at no penalty.
Normal: As above, but you take a -2 penalty to attacks with it.

Reason for Creation: Because Monkey Grip is cool, but crap. Now it's cool and worth taking. Hurrah!

Twin Strike [Fighter]
You are pretty snappy with those two weapons you keep wielding.
Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Dex 15
Benefits: When you are wielding two weapons, you can, as an attack action, attack with both weapons. This can only be done outside of a full attack.
Normal: You can only attack once with a weapon in an attack action outside of a full attack.

Reason for Creation: Choppy wording is choppy. Mostly, I wanted to make a feat that let you attack twice instead of once while dual-wielding, so if you had to move, you're not shaaaafted. I worded it the way I did (instead of saying "as a standard action", which avoids the full attack clause neatly) so that you can use this on AoOs, which is also kind of a nice thing.

Shield Stop [Fighter]
You can stop people dead in their tracks with your shield.
Prerequisites: Improved Shield Bash, Str 15
Benefits: When a creature's movement provokes an attack of opportunity from you while you are wielding a shield, you can attempt a shield bash in place of a normal attack of opportunity. This attack is at your highest attack bonus. If you hit, you may forgo your normal damage, and instead halt the creature's movement. They do not get a save against this effect.
Normal: You can't even think about doing the above.

Reason for Creation: Ok, I'll admit this one is for two reasons. First, to give sword and board a bit more love by giving them a nice effect that permits combobreaking and allows for some active defense on your part (knights would love this). Second, it's something Captain America would do, and I love me some Cap. :smallredface:

Tower Shield Bash [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Improved Shield Bash, Tower Shield Proficiency, Str 17
Benefits: You can perform a shield bash with a tower shield. The tower shield is treated as a martial bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d6 damage with a critical range of x2.
Normal: You cannot shield bash with a tower shield.

Reason for Creation: I like tower shields, and I like sword and boarders. I always thought this should be possible. Now it is. Hurrah! :smallbiggrin:

Rapid Recharge
You've altered your armor so that your special abilities recharge faster.
Prerequisites: BAB +3, at least one special attack from Magitech Upgrade that has a 1d4 round cooldown
Benefits: Your magitech upgrades with cooldowns now have cooldowns of 1d4-1 rounds. This feat cannot reduce the cooldown time of an ability to below one round.
Normal: Your magitech upgrades with cooldowns have cooldowns of 1d4 rounds.
Special: This feat requires use of Person_Man's lovely Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276):

Reason for Creation: There's a feat like this for breath weapons, so why not the Magitech Templar?

Opportunistic Upgrades
You can activate your magitech upgrades faster than normal, even in the blink of an eye.
Prerequisites: BAB +6, at least two special attacks from Magitech Upgrade that has a 1d4 round cooldown
Benefits: Activating a magitech upgrade ability is now an attack action.
Normal: Activating one of these abilities takes a standard action.
Special: The following two feats require use of Person_Man's lovely Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276):

Reason for Creation: I just like the idea of using your abilities on AoOs, honestly.

Note for Opportunistic Upgrade and Rapid Recharge: The upgrades these feats are meant to work with are the following ones: Explosive Energy, Flame Thrower, Frost Missile, Light Beams, Repulsor Ray, Water Cannon, and Webbing.

Shadow Blade
Your blades are like shadows, slicing silently but deftly.
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Weapon Finesse
Benefits: You may use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier for the purposes of damage.
Normal: You use Strength for damage.

Reason for Creation: We don't all use Tome of Battle, but this is an essential ability to have for Dex-based fighters.

Lyndworm
2011-04-08, 05:30 PM
Rapid Metamagic
You, unlike your kin, are quick with your metamagic effects.
Prerequisites: ability to spontaneously cast spells, Spellcraft 4 ranks, at least one metamagic feat
Benefits: You can apply metamagic to your spells with the normal casting time. This permits you to make use of the Quicken Spell metamagic feat.
Normal: Applying metamagic to spontaneous spells increases the casting time of the spells to a full-round action.

Reason for Creation: This was made awhile back for a player who wanted to play a sorcerer with a familiar from level 1 who didn't want to be gimped on his Invisible Spell silliness. So, I made it for him. This should always have been an option, IMO, without having to be an ACF from PHB2. Now it is. Most people are never going to need this feat, but here it is, if you want it.
Complete Mage has a feat by the same name that does the same thing, although it can't be taken until 9th level. Moving it down to 1st doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

Monkey Grip [General]
That's a big hammer. Like, woah, man.
Prerequisites: base attack bonus +1, Str 13
Benefits: You can use a weapon one size larger than normal at no penalty. However, it takes more effort (a light is now one-handed, a one-handed is now two-handed, a two-handed can’t be wielded).
Normal: As above, but you take a -2 penalty to attacks with it.

Reason for Creation: Because Monkey Grip is cool, but crap. Now it's cool and worth taking. Hurrah!
This is actually still kind of a bad feat, because of the "handedness" clause. A quick glance over the SRD shows these examples:

{table=head]Weapon | Damage | Handedness | Weight
Medium Heavy Mace | 1d8 | One-Handed | 8lbs
Large Light Mace | 1d8 | One-Handed | 8lbs
Medium Spear | 1d8 (x3) | Two-Handed | 6lbs
Large Shortspear| 1d8 | One-Handed | 6lbs
Medium Scimitar | 1d6 (18-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Large Kukri | 1d6 (18-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Medium Falchion | 2d4 (18-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs
Large Scimitar | 1d8 (18-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs
Medium Battleaxe | 1d8 (x3) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Large Handaxe | 1d8 (x3) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Medium Greataxe | 1d12 (x3) | Two-Handed | 12lbs
Large Battleaxe | 2d6 (x3) | Two-Handed | 12lbs
Medium Heavy Pick | 1d6 (x4) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Large Light Pick | 1d6 (x4) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Medium Longsword | 1d8 (19-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Large Shortsword | 1d8 (19-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Medium Greatsword | 2d6 (19-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs
Large Longsword | 2d6 (19-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs[/table]

Twin Strike [Fighter]
You are pretty snappy with those two weapons you keep wielding.
Prerequisites: Two-Weapon Fighting, Dex 15
Benefits: When you are wielding two weapons, you can, as an attack action, attack with both weapons. This can only be done outside of a full attack.
Normal: You can only attack once with a weapon in an attack action outside of a full attack.

Reason for Creation: Choppy wording is choppy. Mostly, I wanted to make a feat that let you attack twice instead of once while dual-wielding, so if you had to move, you're not shaaaafted. I worded it the way I did (instead of saying "as a standard action", which avoids the full attack clause neatly) so that you can use this on AoOs, which is also kind of a nice thing.
Not phenomenal, but not terrible. It seems worth a feat, as well. Good on you.

Shield Stop [Fighter]
You can stop people dead in their tracks with your shield.
Prerequisites: Improved Shield Bash, Str 15
Benefits: When a creature's movement provokes an attack of opportunity from you while you are wielding a shield, you can attempt a shield bash in place of a normal attack of opportunity. This attack is at your highest attack bonus. If you hit, you may forgo your normal damage, and instead halt the creature's movement. They do not get a save against this effect.
Normal: You can't even think about doing the above.

Reason for Creation: Ok, I'll admit this one is for two reasons. First, to give sword and board a bit more love by giving them a nice effect that permits combobreaking and allows for some active defense on your part (knights would love this). Second, it's something Captain America would do, and I love me some Cap. :smallredface:
Shields always need more love. Another good choice.

Tower Shield Bash [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Improved Shield Bash, Tower Shield Proficiency, Str 17
Benefits: You can perform a shield bash with a tower shield. The tower shield is treated as a martial bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d6 damage with a critical range of x2.
Normal: You cannot shield bash with a tower shield.

Reason for Creation: I like tower shields, and I like sword and boarders. I always thought this should be possible. Now it is. Hurrah! :smallbiggrin:
See above.

arguskos
2011-04-08, 05:53 PM
Complete Mage has a feat by the same name that does the same thing, although it can't be taken until 9th level. Moving it down to 1st doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
I hate that feat. "Hey guys, Sorcerers should still get gimped! Haha stupid sorcerers." :smallannoyed:

This one is far nicer, since it's got realistic prereqs and doesn't cause you to lose your familiar, which others do.

This is actually still kind of a bad feat, because of the "handedness" clause. A quick glance over the SRD shows these examples:

{table=head]Weapon | Damage | Handedness | Weight
Medium Heavy Mace | 1d8 | One-Handed | 8lbs
Large Light Mace | 1d8 | One-Handed | 8lbs
Medium Spear | 1d8 (x3) | Two-Handed | 6lbs
Large Shortspear| 1d8 | One-Handed | 6lbs
Medium Scimitar | 1d6 (18-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Large Kukri | 1d6 (18-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Medium Falchion | 2d4 (18-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs
Large Scimitar | 1d8 (18-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs
Medium Battleaxe | 1d8 (x3) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Large Handaxe | 1d8 (x3) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Medium Greataxe | 1d12 (x3) | Two-Handed | 12lbs
Large Battleaxe | 2d6 (x3) | Two-Handed | 12lbs
Medium Heavy Pick | 1d6 (x4) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Large Light Pick | 1d6 (x4) | One-Handed | 6lbs
Medium Longsword | 1d8 (19-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Large Shortsword | 1d8 (19-20) | One-Handed | 4lbs
Medium Greatsword | 2d6 (19-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs
Large Longsword | 2d6 (19-20) | Two-Handed | 8lbs[/table]
The only thing you're gaining with Monkey Grip is damage size and image. Might as well not penalize you for it, right? :smallcool: It's not a great feat, but it's no longer the stupid trap it once was.

Basically, I don't care how *good* Monkey Grip is, only that it's no longer a n00b trap (which by god it was).

Not phenomenal, but not terrible. It seems worth a feat, as well. Good on you.
That was the idea. Twin Strike is actually far more useful for a ranged TWFer than it is for a melee one. Coincidentally, I have a ranged TWFer (using my firearm rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187811)) in my current game. We play tomorrow.

This entire thread was actually born out of a desire to post Twin Strike so he can use it (I have a standing rule that almost anything I post is game to use, therefore if I post a feat about TWF, it's legit for him to take :smallcool:). Also, I kinda just like the feat.

Shields always need more love. Another good choice.

See above.
You're damn right they do. God I love me some Cap. In fact, I love Cap this (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/Avatars/CapAvReq.png) much. :smallamused:

Lyndworm
2011-04-08, 06:38 PM
The only thing you're gaining with Monkey Grip is damage size and image. Might as well not penalize you for it, right? :smallcool: It's not a great feat, but it's no longer the stupid trap it once was.
You don't actually change damage at all in most situations, though. A glance through the SRD shows that much (see the table above). Most weapons are statistically identical to another weapon when you boost them a size category. Taking Monkey Grip does virtually nothing, unless you're deadset on using everything by RAW, in which case I have to wonder why you decided to make a feat.

Basically, I don't care how *good* Monkey Grip is, only that it's no longer a n00b trap (which by god it was).
Well, it's not very good so... mission accomplished? :smalltongue: As for it being a trap, it definitely was and, I think, still is. It seems like penalizing somebody for wanting to use a giant's shortsword as a longsword. A purely fluff thing like that shouldn't require an expenditure of your greatest resource (in my opinion).

You're damn right they do. God I love me some Cap. In fact, I love Cap this (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/Avatars/CapAvReq.png) much. :smallamused:
Haha! This site doesn't have a smiley capable of expressing my amusement. Just imagine the opposite of this: :smallfurious:

arguskos
2011-04-08, 06:54 PM
Well, it's not very good so... mission accomplished? :smalltongue: As for it being a trap, it definitely was and, I think, still is. It seems like penalizing somebody for wanting to use a giant's shortsword as a longsword. A purely fluff thing like that shouldn't require an expenditure of your greatest resource (in my opinion).
Frankly, I hate the feat and the entire idea. Use crap sized for you. But, I just wanted it to not actively penalize your attacks. All the feat does is eradicate that -2 penalty.

I could probably remove the handedness limitation, though I worry that it would lead to everyone taking the feat, then wielding Large Fullblades and other stupidity.

Haha! This site doesn't have a smiley capable of expressing my amusement. Just imagine the opposite of this: :smallfurious:
:smallcool: 'show I roll.

Siosilvar
2011-04-08, 07:02 PM
I could probably remove the handedness limitation, though I worry that it would lead to everyone taking the feat, then wielding Large Fullblades and other stupidity.

Fullblade is 2d8, right? Up one size is then 3d8.

+4.5 damage for a feat is pretty good, yes. And yet, even if it stacked with Powerful Build et al. it's probably fine.

Benly
2011-04-08, 07:15 PM

At best, it would be slightly better than Weapon Specialization. Which is, in turn, not a very good feat. Plus, as it stands your Monkey Grip doesn't actually let people wield oversized weapons, it just lets them wield funny-shaped normal-sized weapons - they can't pack a weapon bigger than a greatsword, just a greatsword-sized weapon shaped like a longsword. Isn't the point of Monkey Grip to let you use goofy-looking humongoblades?

arguskos
2011-04-08, 07:37 PM
Meh. Changed the feat, in accordance with the wishes of the internet.

Lyndworm
2011-04-08, 08:02 PM
Meh. Changed the feat, in accordance with the wishes of the internet.
THUS SPAKE INTARWUBZ.

In all seriousness, GitP is not the be-all end-all of homebrew. If you prefer it the way it was, if it worked for you and your group, leave it that way. It's not a strong mechanical choice, but it's a choice nonetheless. No one is making somebody take it.

arguskos
2011-04-08, 08:30 PM
THUS SPAKE INTARWUBZ.

In all seriousness, GitP is not the be-all end-all of homebrew. If you prefer it the way it was, if it worked for you and your group, leave it that way. It's not a strong mechanical choice, but it's a choice nonetheless. No one is making somebody take it.
No point ignoring feedback and still posting the stuff, right? :smallwink:

Savannah
2011-04-09, 02:23 PM
*adds to list of pre-approved homebrew feats* (Mostly 'cause of Shield Stop, but the rest are nice, too.) ....I should remember to add that list to my pbp recruitments.

arguskos
2011-04-15, 04:44 PM
Arise thread! I have new content! And I'm pimping a friend's creation!

Rapid Recharge
You've altered your armor so that your special abilities recharge faster.
Prerequisites: BAB +3, at least one special attack from Magitech Upgrade that has a 1d4 round cooldown
Benefits: Your magitech upgrades with cooldowns now have cooldowns of 1d4-1 rounds. This feat cannot reduce the cooldown time of an ability to below one round.
Normal: Your magitech upgrades with cooldowns have cooldowns of 1d4 rounds.
Special: This feat requires use of Person_Man's lovely Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276)

Reason for Creation: There's a feat like this for breath weapons, so why not the Magitech Templar?

Opportunistic Upgrades
You can activate your magitech upgrades faster than normal, even in the blink of an eye.
Prerequisites: BAB +6, at least two special attacks from Magitech Upgrade that has a 1d4 round cooldown
Benefits: Activating a magitech upgrade ability is now an attack action.
Normal: Activating one of these abilities takes a standard action.
Special: This feat requires use of Person_Man's lovely Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276)

Reason for Creation: I just like the idea of using your abilities on AoOs, honestly.

Note for Opportunistic Upgrade and Rapid Recharge: The upgrades these feats are meant to work with are the following ones: Explosive Energy, Flame Thrower, Frost Missile, Light Beams, Repulsor Ray, Water Cannon, and Webbing.

Shadow Blade
Your blades are like shadows, slicing silently but deftly.
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Weapon Finesse
Benefits: You may use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier for the purposes of damage.
Normal: You use Strength for damage.

Reason for Creation: We don't all use Tome of Battle, but this is an essential ability to have for Dex-based fighters.