PDA

View Full Version : Item crafting questions

Qwertystop
2011-04-08, 03:59 PM
how much of a price reduction would there be for crafting a magic item if it required a specific flaw? I know there are reductions for alignments, class, and race. Also, can Craft Wondrous Item replace all the other magic item crafting feats?
Related to the first question, is there a flaw for Mute? Or some other rules-way to be mute that would give a benefit in a way similar to a flaw?

Cog
2011-04-08, 04:17 PM
how much of a price reduction would there be for crafting a magic item if it required a specific flaw?
Custom price reductions are custom magic items, and therefore entirely up to the DM.

Qwertystop
2011-04-08, 04:18 PM
Custom price reductions are custom magic items, and therefore entirely up to the DM.

I meant that price reductions for other things are listed in the section for price guidelines, so I wondered if price reductions for flaws had been introduced in whichever book introduced flaws, as they weren't in the DMG I.

Cog
2011-04-08, 04:27 PM
Unearthed Arcana has no rules for magic items with flaws as prerequisites. I doubt there's any elsewhere either.

Malimar
2011-04-09, 12:25 AM
can Craft Wondrous Item replace all the other magic item crafting feats?

Craft Wondrous Item is for crafting Wondrous Items only. Rings/Staffs/Arms&Armor/Potions/Scrolls/Wands/etc are each their own category, not Wondrous Items.

Qwertystop
2011-04-09, 09:13 AM
Craft Wondrous Item is for crafting Wondrous Items only. Rings/Staffs/Arms&Armor/Potions/Scrolls/Wands/etc are each their own category, not Wondrous Items.

Yes, but unless I'm missing something, you can craft a Wondrous Item that has 50 charges of one or more spells, making Craft Wand and Craft Staff obsolete. You can make a Wondrous Item that casts a spell once, replacing all of a scroll's abilities except learning spells from it. This also replaces a potion's ability while allowing it to be a spell of any level. You can get a charges/day effect, which obsoletes many Rings and Rods. The only things I can think of that you can do with one of the other feats but not Wondrous Item are:
Scrolls that can be learned from
Metamagic Rods
Possibly Runestaffs

I was wondering if there was a flaw in that reasoning. I heard somewhere that Craft Wondrous Item made the others obsolete, and I wanted confirmation or denial.

Forged Fury
2011-04-09, 09:32 AM
Theoretically, you can do a lot with it. With that said, you'll probably be paying a lot more for it based on the pricing guidelines since most Wondrous Items duplicating the effects of other magic items are going to be both Use-Activated and probably should carry either the Uncustomary Space Limitation or No Space Limitation penalty.

There are other benefits that Wondrous Items don't duplicate (A staff using the wielder's abilities and CL to determine the effect for instance).

Bakkan
2011-04-09, 12:59 PM
Related to the first question, is there a flaw for Mute? Or some other rules-way to be mute that would give a benefit in a way similar to a flaw?

The only thing like this I'm aware of is the Buomman race from Planar Handbook. Mute, but does chant unintelligibly, has a +2 Wis, -2 Cha (if I remember correctly) and can take a feat (Nonverbal spell) to be able to cast spells with his chanting.

Qwertystop
2011-04-09, 01:09 PM
The only thing like this I'm aware of is the Buomman race from Planar Handbook. Mute, but does chant unintelligibly, has a +2 Wis, -2 Cha (if I remember correctly) and can take a feat (Nonverbal spell) to be able to cast spells with his chanting.

Ah well, I guess it'll just have to be RP if I ever make this character.

Reluctance
2011-04-09, 01:20 PM
Custom item creation rules are guidelines for a reason. Feel free to bounce ideas off people, but remember that drawbacks have to be actual drawbacks. Making a scroll that only chaotic neutral human conjurers can use isn't a drawback when your character is a chaotic neutral human conjurer.

As for turning the inability to speak into a flaw, don't. Oh, in theory it works quite well as a flaw. In practice, though, one of two things will happen. Either the player won't be able to interact meaningfully and will grow bored, or you'll all settle on some other way to let the character interact, and it turns into no flaw. It also cripples your ability to use V component spells and command word operated items, which again is either devastating or completely ignorable. (Psionics FTW.)