PDA

View Full Version : New Whirling Barbarian Help.

Lead Based
2011-04-08, 04:53 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums and new to 4e, I used to play 2e a couple years back and some friends and I want to get some sessions going with 4e. I was looking at barbarians, a Whirling Barbarian, and I did some research and read the book and there is one thing that keeps confusing me. How do their basic attacks work?

I keep getting different answers from everyone I ask. I get that they use both weapons to strike so you only roll attack with main hand and deal damage with both weapons. I also heard that you choose which weapon you attack with. I understand the power attacks, it's just the basi ones that are tripping me up.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it; and if you can post the pages in the book where it talks about this so I can have some proof it would also be really appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

ELC
2011-04-08, 05:01 PM
You only attack with one weapon per turn unless a power states you can do otherwise. (PHB p217)

EDIT: Hmm . . . freaky . . . I hereby declare you to be my rival due to the similarities between us :P

Daftendirekt
2011-04-09, 12:02 PM
Yeah, Two-Weapon Fighting works completely differently in 4e. You don't get iterative/extra attacks from it, just that +1 bonus damage... which is pretty garbage, but it opens up good feats like Two-Weapon Defense and Two-Weapon Opening.

However, Melee Basic Attack is only one swing, with one weapon. You can choose which one you do it with though -- say if they have different magical effects.

Dekkah
2011-04-09, 12:31 PM
Weilding two weapons aslo are prrequisite for certain attacks (mostly for rangers, fighters and barbarians).
A whirlwind barbarian use two weapons and the powers they usually pick are the ones that require/benefits from having two weapons.

MeeposFire
2011-04-09, 12:47 PM
Neat trick with whirling barbarians you do not need to be proficient with your "off hand" weapon. Most if not all whirling powers hit with the main hand and then the off hand automatically deals damage in the power. Since you do not need to roll to hit you can use any weapon you want even if you are not proficient. It may or may not fit your character concept but it is a funny little quirk to whirlers.

DragonBaneDM
2011-04-11, 12:24 PM
Neat trick with whirling barbarians you do not need to be proficient with your "off hand" weapon. Most if not all whirling powers hit with the main hand and then the off hand automatically deals damage in the power. Since you do not need to roll to hit you can use any weapon you want even if you are not proficient. It may or may not fit your character concept but it is a funny little quirk to whirlers.

Oh wow. Wow you're right dude. Meepo, you've been getting ridiculously insightful lately. I'll have to point this out to the guy playing a Hybrid Barbarian/Ranger in my upcoming campaign.

Tankadin
2011-04-11, 12:48 PM
Oh wow. Wow you're right dude. Meepo, you've been getting ridiculously insightful lately. I'll have to point this out to the guy playing a Hybrid Barbarian/Ranger in my upcoming campaign.

I suspect that it would matter for Twin Strike, though...

MeeposFire
2011-04-11, 12:48 PM
You never know what you find when you lurk on the WotC boards that's for sure and thanks for the complement.

Daftendirekt
2011-04-11, 01:40 PM
I suspect that it would matter for Twin Strike, though...

Well yeah, Twin Strike is two attacks. All the Whirling powers just do extra damage based on off-hand, no attack necessary. I was not aware of this either; mainly because all the barbarians I've made have used something large and two-handed.

ELC
2011-04-11, 01:43 PM
Speaking of two-handed weapons, I suggest using a double weapon so that you can go from two-weapon fighting to two-handed fighting, which allows you to use Howling Strike.

Cartigan
2011-04-11, 02:09 PM
Speaking of two-handed weapons, I suggest using a double weapon so that you can go from two-weapon fighting to two-handed fighting, which allows you to use Howling Strike.

"So what's the Barbarian doing with a quarterstaff..."

Daftendirekt
2011-04-11, 02:29 PM
I personally think Monk/Barbarian would be a neat hybrid/MC. Haven't looked into whether a hybrid would be at all viable (read: not ****ty).

hoff
2011-04-11, 02:33 PM
Using two weapons is very useful in some builds. Most people that use one-handed weapons also carry something to throw (or a hand-crossbow) in the off-hand in order to have some ranged power.