PDA

View Full Version : Size of Large Creatures ...

Torvon
2011-04-08, 05:46 PM
A short question:
How many squares to large creatures occupy? I seem to remember that horses are 2x1 squares, not 2x2.

What about Brown Bears, or Dire Wolves?

Thanks
Torvon

Xetheral
2011-04-08, 06:06 PM
In 3.5 large creatures occupy a 10' x 10' square. However, their reach is determined by shape, with Tall Large creatures having a reach of 10' and Long Large creatures having a reach of only 5'.

Horses, Brown Bears, and Dire Wolves are all Long Large creatures, so they have a space of 10' and a reach of 5'. This is indicated in the space/reach entry of the Monster Manual.

If I remember correctly, in 3.0 a creature's shape affected their space, which means Horses might have been 5' x 10' back then. Standardizing monster size categories with map spaces occupied was (I think) one of the changes between editions.

Torvon
2011-04-08, 06:09 PM
In 3.5 large creatures occupy a 10' x 10' square. However, their reach is determined by shape, with Tall Large creatures having a reach of 10' and Long Large creatures having a reach of only 5'.

Horses, Brown Bears, and Dire Wolves are all Long Large creatures, so they have a space of 10' and a reach of 5'. This is indicated in the space/reach entry of the Monster Manual.

If I remember correctly, in 3.0 a creature's shape affected their space, which means Horses might have been 5' x 10' back then. Standardizing monster size categories with map spaces occupied was (I think) one of the changes between editions.

Not sure if I understood you. Your first sentence seems contradictory to what you say later.

Large creature = 10x10 no matter what?

Thanks
Torvon

Cog
2011-04-08, 06:15 PM
Large creature = 10x10 no matter what?
Yes. The later paragraph was talking about an earlier edition of the game.

Torvon
2011-04-08, 06:18 PM
Yes. The later paragraph was talking about an earlier edition of the game.

Alright, thanks.

Too bad really, it's getting abominably crowded on the battlefield already for my level 7 druid :/ ... Large Animal Companion, 1/day summon huge scorpion with amulet, + plenty of large summons ...

ta-ta
T.

Xetheral
2011-04-08, 06:21 PM
For reference, the chart of page 308 of the 3.5 DMG shows space and reach for different creature sizes.

Torvon
2011-04-08, 06:22 PM
For reference, the chart of page 308 of the 3.5 DMG shows space and reach for different creature sizes.

Thank you!