PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for old game, any help?

GoblinGilmartin
2011-04-08, 06:17 PM
I recently remembered an old game i played when i was young, but i never finished it. I cant remember what it was called.

It had something to do with an evil witch who kidnaps your classmates and turns them into monsters, and you need to rescue them before your candle goes out or she'll turn you into a monster as well.
It may have been a Jumpstart game, i can't remember.

Hints or help much appreciated.:smallcool:

The Glyphstone
2011-04-08, 06:19 PM
Jumpstart 4th Grade, I remember it all too well.

Also, moving to Gaming (other).

GoblinGilmartin
2011-04-08, 06:25 PM
Jumpstart 4th Grade, I remember it all too well.

Also, moving to Gaming (other).

thank you, i'll look for it. haunted island, right?

The Glyphstone
2011-04-08, 09:37 PM
Yeah, Haunted Island. The geography game with the treasure hunting and pirates was fun as all heck.

Hyudra
2011-04-08, 10:12 PM
Just putting it out there, since the original question seems to have been answered:

I ran across a game in a radio shack some time in the mid-to-late-90's. I played it for a minute, then watched someone else play for another short stretch. I asked an employee what it was, but he just acted annoyed and then stopped the other person from playing and closed it down. Then my aunt & uncle dragged me away so they could continue on their errands.

For at least a decade, I've been wondering what the heck it was I played. I've downloaded many a game from the likes of Home of the Underdogs and whatnot, and watched many a Let's Play, and haven't yet come across it.

Here's what I remember:
Side scrolling platformer not unlike Castlevania. The main character was a little more squat though. Graphics were pretty good quality (VGA?)
The sequence I played had a village under attack. I remember flying cats dropping bombs.
What I saw the other player do is hop onto a tree stump. A rainbow came straight down and dark-knight style armor appeared on the main character. He was transported to a hell level or some such, where the bad guys included what looked like guns with arms and legs.

Ring any bells for anyone? It's been something of an ongoing quest for me to figure out what it was I'd played.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-04-16, 05:18 PM
Ring any bells for anyone? It's been something of an ongoing quest for me to figure out what it was I'd played.

No, i'm sorry, but that sounds amazing, you'll have to tell me the results of the search.

stupid question, but this was a PC game, right?

olelia
2011-05-04, 09:35 PM
Just putting it out there, since the original question seems to have been answered:

I ran across a game in a radio shack some time in the mid-to-late-90's. I played it for a minute, then watched someone else play for another short stretch. I asked an employee what it was, but he just acted annoyed and then stopped the other person from playing and closed it down. Then my aunt & uncle dragged me away so they could continue on their errands.

For at least a decade, I've been wondering what the heck it was I played. I've downloaded many a game from the likes of Home of the Underdogs and whatnot, and watched many a Let's Play, and haven't yet come across it.

Here's what I remember:
Side scrolling platformer not unlike Castlevania. The main character was a little more squat though. Graphics were pretty good quality (VGA?)
The sequence I played had a village under attack. I remember flying cats dropping bombs.
What I saw the other player do is hop onto a tree stump. A rainbow came straight down and dark-knight style armor appeared on the main character. He was transported to a hell level or some such, where the bad guys included what looked like guns with arms and legs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Courage_in_Alpha_Zones (Keith_Courage_in_Alpha_Zones)

I believe your quest is finished! :smallcool:

Hyudra
2011-05-04, 10:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Courage_in_Alpha_Zones (Keith_Courage_in_Alpha_Zones)

I believe your quest is finished! :smallcool:

Wow. I'm flabbergasted.

And a quick search on Youtube shows it's not nearly as cool looking as I remember, but that's it! Quest complete!

Next quest: scrounging up the details/names of two different cartoons I rented from the video store when I was a kid.

olelia
2011-05-05, 09:09 PM
In your defense it was one of my vaguest Google searches ever....flying cats and power armor with a dash of side scrolling :smallconfused:.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-05-07, 03:59 PM
it still sounds amazing... I'm gonna haf'ta look for it.

Any other game hunts?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-07, 07:28 PM
Okay, there is an old NES game I remember vaguely. It was a side-scrolling platformer where the main character has black hair, a long beard and white clothes - he looked kinda caveman-ish to me. When you attacked enemies (with some kind of projectiles if I recall correctly), they turned into small blocks with faces on them. I recall that you could do something with those blocks, but don't remember exactly what.

As you can see, very vague. Anyone got any idea what might this be?

GoblinGilmartin
2011-05-10, 05:33 PM

umm... anything else? genre? Nothing comes to mind...

Tengu_temp
2011-05-10, 05:42 PM
Side-scrolling platformer. I said that already.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-05-17, 05:10 PM
i meant, like, story genre,or is is like mario were things are too strange and are far removed from classification?

Dragero
2011-05-19, 07:42 PM
Okay, there is an old NES game I remember vaguely. It was a side-scrolling platformer where the main character has black hair, a long beard and white clothes - he looked kinda caveman-ish to me. When you attacked enemies (with some kind of projectiles if I recall correctly), they turned into small blocks with faces on them. I recall that you could do something with those blocks, but don't remember exactly what.

Minus the block bit, it sounds similar to Adventure island. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Island_(video_game)) Maybe one of the sequels?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-20, 06:16 AM
No. I've played Adventure Island too, and it was not the same thing.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-05-23, 07:10 PM
i dont know if this will help us, but were the faces smiley faces or :[ type faces

Sipex
2011-05-24, 03:36 PM
Here's another while we wait.

It was an old computer game, out around 1998 and 1999 and it was 3d.

I don't remember a lot so it's going to be tough but I'll do my best.

Essentially it was kind of like a hack & slash game set in the medi-evil period. You could see your character move around the screen and you made slashing motions with the mouse to perform different sword swings. You could also block and dodge I believe. Relied on stationary cameras in areas for the most part...3d style reminds me of FF7.

Irbis
2011-05-24, 03:46 PM

Essentially it was kind of like a hack & slash game set in the medi-evil period. You could see your character move around the screen and you made slashing motions with the mouse to perform different sword swings. You could also block and dodge I believe. Relied on stationary cameras in areas for the most part...3d style reminds me of FF7.

Die by the Sword/Daggerfall/Morrowind/Ecstatica? :smallconfused:

Comet
2011-05-24, 03:54 PM

Silver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_%28video_game%29) fits the bill, if memory serves.

Maryring
2011-05-24, 09:25 PM
I've got a few NES... or was it SNES? I think it was NES... anyway, old nintendo games I'm curious about.

The first had you as a guy in a blue cape, looking very wizardlike. I'm not sure if you were actually a wizard, but you were basically supposed to rescue a princess or something, yet all you had were various items you found around as you searched for pieces of a magic wand. I also seem to recall that you used four different kinds of potions to get by.

The second game involved you climbing a tower.. I think I may be mixing two games, but you were again rescuing a princess or something. I don't recall the gameplay exactly, but I seem to recall that at the top of the tower, you climbed into a flying ship which took you to a castle in the sky.

MoelVermillion
2011-05-25, 06:16 AM
I've got a few NES... or was it SNES? I think it was NES... anyway, old nintendo games I'm curious about.

The first had you as a guy in a blue cape, looking very wizardlike. I'm not sure if you were actually a wizard, but you were basically supposed to rescue a princess or something, yet all you had were various items you found around as you searched for pieces of a magic wand. I also seem to recall that you used four different kinds of potions to get by.

Solstice: The Quest for the Staff of Demnos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice:_The_Quest_for_the_Staff_of_Demnos). One of my all time favourite games. I still pull it out and play it on my NES every few months.

Sipex
2011-05-25, 10:46 AM
Silver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_%28video_game%29) fits the bill, if memory serves.

That's it!

Thanks!

Maryring
2011-05-27, 09:04 AM
Solstice: The Quest for the Staff of Demnos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice:_The_Quest_for_the_Staff_of_Demnos). One of my all time favourite games. I still pull it out and play it on my NES every few months.

Yes! That's it. Thank you.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-05-29, 06:38 PM
I'm glad I started this thread, game-stalgia is fun!

Flame of Anor
2011-05-30, 01:54 PM
Okay, here's one. It's not something I actually played, but I saw a friend of mine play it for about five minutes several years ago. I'll be really impressed if you can find it. All I remember is:

It was a sort of commando game. You controlled a squad of guys individually.
It was turn-based.
It had an angled top-down view.
The graphics were pretty good.
The level my friend was playing was dark, and I think it had storage tanks.
When you tried to get one of your guys to attack someone and he couldn't, he would say "I can't hit him any more, sir!"

Maryring
2011-05-30, 02:21 PM
I think you may be referring to Army Men. It's been ages since I saw it last though, but I think I know what you refer to.

DemonicAngel
2011-05-30, 04:33 PM
Commandos maybe?

Hyudra
2011-05-30, 05:08 PM
Sounds like Jagged Alliance or one of its sequels to me. Failing that, original Fallout?

Flame of Anor
2011-05-30, 05:56 PM
Commandos maybe?

Sounds like Jagged Alliance or one of its sequels to me. Failing that, original Fallout?

Commandos looks more likely on YouTube, mostly because of the more modern setting, but it and Jagged Alliance both seem to have the right sort of gameplay.

fizzmaister
2011-05-30, 10:04 PM
Game for the PSX. I remember playing it at my cousin's house. All I remember was that in the first area, there was a large fishing net blocking your way, and you had to lift it to get past, but if it was down, you could put fish on it and after a while you'd get dried fish. Yeah, sorry for being very vague.

nosignal
2011-05-30, 11:32 PM
Sounds like Tomba 2.

fizzmaister
2011-05-31, 05:14 AM
You got it with that vague of a description? I am amazed. Thank you.

Abemad
2011-06-01, 03:32 AM
Okay, here's one. It's not something I actually played, but I saw a friend of mine play it for about five minutes several years ago. I'll be really impressed if you can find it. All I remember is:

It was a sort of commando game. You controlled a squad of guys individually.
It was turn-based.
It had an angled top-down view.
The graphics were pretty good.
The level my friend was playing was dark, and I think it had storage tanks.
When you tried to get one of your guys to attack someone and he couldn't, he would say "I can't hit him any more, sir!"

It sounds alot like one of the newer UFO games (maybe the first one, aftermath), i distinctly remember that "i can't hit him any more, sir!" from that game :smallwink:

If it was UFO, I strongly reccomend trying the old x-com games instead, they are way better :smallsmile:

Flame of Anor
2011-06-01, 10:08 PM
It sounds alot like one of the newer UFO games (maybe the first one, aftermath), i distinctly remember that "i can't hit him any more, sir!" from that game :smallwink:

If it was UFO, I strongly reccomend trying the old x-com games instead, they are way better :smallsmile:

Great, thanks! The screenshots look just right, too. What "old x-com" games do you mean?

Abemad
2011-06-02, 01:27 AM
Great, thanks! The screenshots look just right, too. What "old x-com" games do you mean?

Ufo - enemy unknown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown) and x-com - terror from the deep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Terror_from_the_Deep). Both are from the mid-nineties, but i've never had any trouble playing them in xp.
Download this mod (http://xcomutil.scotttjones.com/), it has some game fixes and tweaks.

Dragero
2011-06-02, 06:50 PM
To clairify, UFO is a reimagining/spiritual successor of XCOM, which is much better. Abemad is a cruel person though, for linking a person new to Xcom to TFTD. TFTD hates you, puppies, fun, you, your parents, and above all, Tom Hanks.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-02, 11:48 PM
Oh, here's another one. It was a Flash game--it would probably be a couple of years old by now. It was point-and-click interface, with decent but not super impressive graphics. You played a clone after waking up from the cloning tank; there was no one else in the facility IIRC. It was shaped like a pyramid, I think, or at least something was (you could walk around outside a bit). Anyway, at the end you use the cloning tank to make a companion for yourself.

Ogremindes
2011-06-03, 12:07 AM
Oh, here's another one. It was a Flash game--it would probably be a couple of years old by now. It was point-and-click interface, with decent but not super impressive graphics. You played a clone after waking up from the cloning tank; there was no one else in the facility IIRC. It was shaped like a pyramid, I think, or at least something was (you could walk around outside a bit). Anyway, at the end you use the cloning tank to make a companion for yourself.

I think I know this one. Is it Soul Core (http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/10/soul_core.php)?

Flame of Anor
2011-06-03, 12:13 AM
I think I know this one. Is it Soul Core (http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/10/soul_core.php)?

Awesome, you got it! *goes to play it* *remembers he has a final paper to write*

fizzmaister
2011-06-19, 04:57 PM
Alright, new request. Old game. It came with our Windows 3.11 computer. (I don't know if it was a bundle or something, or if my dad got the computer second hand. I was too little back then you see.

It's a space sim(?). You're the captain of a spaceship. You use fuel as currency, there's a warning in the on-screen instructions that your mission is diplomatic so you shouldn't go in with weapons and shields activated because it's threatening. The star map starts with three space stations you can go (but you can put in any coordinate you want) at one of the space stations you get info about a derelict (freighter?) at <coordinates>. If you have weapons and shields activated, it fires at you, if you don't, you can talk to the only survivor and hire (her?) as a crew member. If you do so at the beginning of the game, you will run out of money in a heartbeat. Also, as a staple of space games, you and space stations, can get attacked by pirates.