PDA

View Full Version : What could have been?

EccentricCircle
2011-04-08, 06:18 PM
I was thinking the other day that its a shame they never got around to writing a Junglescape Book to go with the rest of the 3.5 environment series.
something about the jungle or wilderness at least seems like the next logical title.

that started me thinking about what other books would have been a nice addition to the game. but I couldn't find any information on whether any planned 3.5 titles were scrapped after the announcement of 4e or whether they released everything they had planned.
Does anyone know?

also who has other sugestions of books that are "missing" I think a races book on orcs, goblins and the monstrous races would have been good too.

Sacrieur
2011-04-08, 07:01 PM
You mean the addition of 90% crap content and 10% good content?

Yeah...

---

Sorry, I'd rather see a 5e that fixes all of the problems with 3.5e, or changes the system entire, for the better.

Something about a copious amount of books just doesn't sit well with me. This is why I liked what the Crystal Keep did. All of the races, feats, etc. in one place.

bloodtide
2011-04-08, 07:02 PM
I don't think the 'scrapped' any books. They had the whole 4E idea going for a while. And even so, books from WotC had slowed down at a crawl anyway. The last couple years of 3.5E they were lazily putting out what, like six books a year.

The Races of other environments and more location books would be obvious.

Junglescape
Underdark scape
Sky scape

Races of the Serpents
Races of the Dark
Races of the Lost

Particle_Man
2011-04-08, 07:20 PM
Book of 9 Swords 2 would have been nice.

Oh, and updated errata on Bo9S that is actually about Bo9S, instead of mostly being errata for Complete Mage for some reason.

Class Compendium, perhaps?

More stuff put into the OGL/SRD?

Lord Loss
2011-04-08, 08:05 PM
Races of the Serpents

They did this in Serpent Kingdoms...

arguskos
2011-04-08, 08:23 PM
Underdark scape

Races of the Serpents
These were both done. The Faerun books, Underdark and Serpent Kingdoms are pretty much these.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-08, 09:47 PM
Wasn't there a pretty nice fanmade compilation of "Swamprot" or something, for bog/marsh/swamp environments?

arguskos
2011-04-08, 09:55 PM
Wasn't there a pretty nice fanmade compilation of "Swamprot" or something, for bog/marsh/swamp environments?
Swampgas. It was on these forums, once upon a time, in the Homebrew section, but it's been gone for like a year now.

Dsurion
2011-04-08, 11:02 PM
JunglescapeTo be fair, Secrets of Xen'Drik was VERY jungle-themed (and a very good book, in my opinion). It was essentially like a magical Africa with fire giants and drow having their hands in everything. The Traveler's Curse explained why it remained unexplored, too.

EccentricCircle
2011-04-09, 07:01 AM
Yeah, underdark and Serpent Kingdoms are great books from that point of view.
Secrets of Xen'Drik is excellent and one of my favourate Eberron books, but it isn't quite Junglescape in my opinion.

I agree that there are more than enough books for 3.5 and that they were probably right to stop when they did. I was just interested to know whether anything had been started then abandoned.

a Feat compendium would have been a good one actually. as would spelljammer.

Serpentine
2011-04-09, 07:21 AM
I think the Goblinoids definitely needed a Races Of book. I feel like there's potential for them, but there's just nothing I can sink my teeth into. A jungly one would've been very nice to have, too. And any comprehensive compendium would be nice - or at the very least a Crystal Keep type database. It disgusts me that not only do they not have anything like that, but they ban the one we do.

I think something comprehensive for treasure would be nice, too. Something like the Draconomnicon treasure generator, but with all the different special materials and stuff, too.

What would you expect to see in a Races of Serpents? Yuan-ti, obviously, which could be handy, but what else? I guess lizardfolk didn't turn up anywhere else, did they?

Innis Cabal
2011-04-09, 07:24 AM
Mongoose Publishing did a wonderful series of books on a good deal of races in D&D. I believe there are at least two books for Goblins. The Gnoll book is quite well written and in-depth.

stainboy
2011-04-09, 09:19 AM
Book of 9 Swords 2 would have been nice.

Battle and glory await in Complete Initiator: the Book of Five Other Swords!

New Races! Discover the Bladeborn, exactly like humans but with glowing eyes, and the Arikhim, proud warriors with an unwarranted level adjustment!

Three New Classes! Will you crush your foes with the grimdark might of the Hellreaver, bolster your allies with the underpowered auras of the Martial Mind, or grow claws or something with the primal powers of the Wildblade?

Prestige Classes! Take your awkward multiclass to the next level with the Martial Theurge, the Eldritch Adept, and the Azure Maneuverist!

Turn Off the Sun! Blindside your DM with the vaguely-worded powers of five new disciplines, including the Demon Soul and Excellent Arrow! (Errata: Ignore the reference to the Excellent Arrow discipline.)

New Variant Swordsage! Replace the monk class with the official Unarmed Swordsage, which is completely different from the one you already use! Look in the web enhancement for the Spell-to-Maneuver Unarmed Swordsage!

All this and more - nerfs to Iron Heart Surge that weren't in the errata for some reason, devastating spells like Detect Maneuvers and Martial Transformation, and fifty pages of fluff you'll never read about rival fighting schools! Take your game to the next level with Complete Initiator: the Book of Five Other Swords!

You know what, I still would have bought it.

Serpentine
2011-04-09, 09:29 AM
...I like the sound of the Wildblade. Is this a real thing? I wants it.

stainboy
2011-04-09, 09:43 AM
Sadly no.

I picture that werewolf dude from Seiken Densetsu 3, with a pile of rangery skills and Tiger Claw maneuvers.

Yora
2011-04-09, 09:53 AM
Secrets of Xen'Drik is excellent and one of my favourate Eberron books, but it isn't quite Junglescape in my opinion.
Secrets of Xen'drik is a weird book. It looks really great and I really want to like it, but I have no idea what to do with it. There's just nothing in it all all.

Bakkan
2011-04-09, 12:56 PM

New Races! Discover the Bladeborn, exactly like humans but with glowing eyes, and the Arikhim, proud warriors with an unwarranted level adjustment!

Three New Classes! Will you crush your foes with the grimdark might of the Hellreaver, bolster your allies with the underpowered auras of the Martial Mind, or grow claws or something with the primal powers of the Wildblade?

Prestige Classes! Take your awkward multiclass to the next level with the Martial Theurge, the Eldritch Adept, and the Azure Maneuverist!

Turn Off the Sun! Blindside your DM with the vaguely-worded powers of five new disciplines, including the the Demon Soul and Excellent Arrow! (Errata: Ignore the reference to the Excellent Arrow discipline.)

New Variant Swordsage! Replace the monk class with the official Unarmed Swordsage, which is completely different from the one you already use! Look in the web enhancement for the Spell-to-Maneuver Unarmed Swordsage!

All this and more - nerfs to Iron Heart Surge that weren't in the errata for some reason, devastating spells like Detect Maneuvers and Martial Transformation, and fifty pages of fluff you'll never read about rival fighting schools! Take your game to the next level with Complete Initiator: the Book of Five Other Swords!

Man, I would play an Azure Maneuverist so fast it would make your head swim.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-09, 01:03 PM

Turn Off the Sun! Blindside your DM with the vaguely-worded powers of five new disciplines, including the the Demon Soul and Excellent Arrow! (Errata: Ignore the reference to the Excellent Arrow discipline.)

The wildblade and fluff about rival fighting schools are enough reason for me to buy it.

EccentricCircle
2011-04-09, 01:20 PM
Secrets of Xen'drik is a weird book. It looks really great and I really want to like it, but I have no idea what to do with it. There's just nothing in it all all.

I like the Encounter traps and some of the monsters.
the adventure locations which they have in that and a few other Eberron books are great in theory but never much use in practice. ( in my experience at least)
its a nice book and the fluff is interesting, but it isn't junglescape.