PDA

View Full Version : Flarging Thieves... grumble...

zyborg
2011-04-08, 06:53 PM
The punishment for robbery should be having their hands cut off. Okay, that was a bit extreme, but...

I left my laptop unattended for a short amount of time, and when I came back, it was gone. I sent notices throughout the college, but nobody claimed it. It's been missing for months, now. But good news: I got a new laptop, and I'm back in action. Sorry about being gone for so long, but between needing a new laptop (which I now have) and my college work, I've been GITPless... sorry to leave those I was RPing with hanging.

ThirdEmperor
2011-04-08, 06:56 PM
That stinks, but I'm glad you got a new laptop. If you ever find the thief, cutting his hand off may be a bit extreme, but tossing him off a four story building would probably work.:smallsmile:

druid91
2011-04-08, 07:00 PM
Would you like me to tinker around and come up with a fate worse than death for them?:smallconfused:

Just kidding.

zyborg
2011-04-08, 09:27 PM
Well, maybe not worse than death, but... make them wish they never even looked at my laptop...

druid91
2011-04-08, 09:31 PM
Well, maybe not worse than death, but... make them wish they never even looked at my laptop...

I'll see what I can do.I hope you realize I'm mostly joking.

Lycan 01
2011-04-08, 10:55 PM
Weren't you in one of my Dark Heresy RPGs that died because everyone randomly disappeared? :smalltongue:

Glad to hear you've got a new laptop and are back on GitP, though. Good to have ya back, man.

Dr.Epic
2011-04-09, 12:05 AM
Sorry about your old laptop. Good you got a new one and are back.

Vonriel
2011-04-09, 12:07 AM
I had something similar happen to me a couple Decembers ago, except instead of being unattended, it was sitting beside my chair and just out of direct line of sight of myself and my friends. Someone took it out of my backpack and walked off with it, while I was sitting right there. So, I know your pain. :smallfurious:

zyborg
2011-04-09, 01:05 AM
Why are there jerks like that in this world?

rakkoon
2011-04-09, 01:46 AM
May he have the curse of blue screens till the end of his miserable life!

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-09, 01:50 AM
Why are there jerks like that in this world?

You know how some people like playing CE because it makes em feel cool and edgy?

Alternately, they like money.

Serpentine
2011-04-09, 01:53 AM
You might like this (http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/04/04/funny-facebook-fails-note-to-self-dont-steal-jacks-phone/).

druid91
2011-04-09, 08:43 AM
You might like this (http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/04/04/funny-facebook-fails-note-to-self-dont-steal-jacks-phone/).

What sort of idiot sells the phone with it on him!!?:smallmad:

I mean if your going to be a criminal do it right at least!

Why am I offended by criminals idiocy?

Eldan
2011-04-09, 10:39 AM
Because it does kinda badly reflect back on those who had their things stolen by stupid criminals?

druid91
2011-04-09, 10:45 AM
Because it does kinda badly reflect back on those who had their things stolen by stupid criminals?

It's actually more along the lines of professional pride... Except I'm not a thief.. Well except that one time I walked out of a store holding a pack of crackers when I was four.

But I spend a lot of time thinking about how I would do things in these situations. Just as a thought experiment.

And it irritates the heck out of me when they do it wrong.

Sarco_Phage
2011-04-09, 10:47 AM
You go ahead and steal something and tell us how it goes. :smallwink:

Even the simplest thing can go hilariously wrong.

druid91
2011-04-09, 10:50 AM
You go ahead and steal something and tell us how it goes. :smallwink:

Even the simplest thing can go hilariously wrong.

Exactly. Which, combined with what morals I do have, Is why I am not a thief. It is an unenviable profession. Yet people are stupid and think it's easy.:smallannoyed:

I wouldn't play with it as a thought experiment if it were easy.:smallsmile:

grimbold
2011-04-09, 11:03 AM
May he have the curse of blue screens till the end of his miserable life!

greatest curse ever

but yeah
that does suck

Jack Squat
2011-04-09, 08:18 PM
It sucks that you had to learn the hard way what happens when you leave your stuff lying around. Not near the same value, but I've had my car broken into twice because I left an mp3 player or a CD case in view (different cars, different places).

It gets to be a bit of a pain, but be sure unplug and take your laptop with you whenever you get up or ask someone you know and trust to watch over it, not just that guy who sat down 5 minutes ago. I've never stolen someone's laptop when they've asked me to watch it (and never will); but the thought's crossed my mind, so I'm sure there's someone out there who won't hesitate to.

Vonriel
2011-04-09, 11:22 PM
It gets to be a bit of a pain, but be sure unplug and take your laptop with you whenever you get up or ask someone you know and trust to watch over it, not just that guy who sat down 5 minutes ago. I've never stolen someone's laptop when they've asked me to watch it (and never will); but the thought's crossed my mind, so I'm sure there's someone out there who won't hesitate to.

You know, I know people who just get up and walk away for hours with their laptops in my care. They're incredibly lucky that I'm the kind of person who will actually pack up their laptop and carry it with me if I go somewhere in order to keep it safe, because I'm sure a lot more people I know besides myself would have stolen laptops by now. :smallannoyed:

And yes, it's seriously that bad. I've gotten to the point now where I will tell them 'no' if they're leaving for more than a couple minutes because these idiots think it's okay.

Serpentine
2011-04-09, 11:45 PM
I want to see an experiment done, to whit:
1. Is your property less likely to be stolen if you ask a stranger to keep an eye on it for you?
2. Is any one person more or less likely to steal an object which has been put into their care in the above manner?
3. Are people more likely to stop someone from stealing something if they've been asked to watch their stuff (possibly just another way of saying #1, but whatever...).

I ask people to watch my stuff all the time - but never for more than a couple of minutes, hours is just silly and rude :smallconfused: I'm curious to know whether there might be some psychological effect of putting someone in charge of something, or whether someone who's gonna steal something is gonna steal it regardless.