PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Optimizing BA Swordsage

Jewel Thief
2011-04-09, 05:03 AM
So, just finished my campaign (IT WAS EPIC) and now I'm getting a chance to play a character finally after so much want. But it's been so long and I keep getting sidetracked. Help? You guys rule.

The campaign is set in the desert, and we're Level 7. My stats are: 9, 10, 16, 16, 16, 7. I'm thinking of making a 3 Swashbuckler/4 Swordsage and I'm picturing an older Samuel L. Jackson with a gray goatee. Need help with feats, equipment, manuevers, stances, you name it! Also, are there better alternatives than swashbuckler with swordsage? I dunno what's happening!

Tee hee!

Darrin
2011-04-09, 06:00 AM
The campaign is set in the desert, and we're Level 7. My stats are: 9, 10, 16, 16, 16, 7. I'm thinking of making a 3 Swashbuckler/4 Swordsage and I'm picturing an older Samuel L. Jackson with a gray goatee. Need help with feats, equipment, manuevers, stances, you name it! Also, are there better alternatives than swashbuckler with swordsage? I dunno what's happening!

What exactly do you want out of Swashbuckler? It actually doesn't mix all that well with Swordsage. With 6 skill points per level, Int is usually a dump stat (or Take 10 stat) for Swordsage, and it throws off your stance progression (Swordsage is the only ToB base class that gives you new stances at the same level they become available).

Most Int-based meatbaggers go with Warblade, which has more Int synergy (although Swashbuckler/Warblades lose out on the Dual Stance capstone).

You'd be better off putting one of those 16s on Dex and take Shadow Blade to add your Dex to damage rather than Int and just go straight Swordsage 20. This keeps your stance progression intact, although along with the feat tax to take Adaptive Style, it does mean you'll be a bit feat-starved.

Give us your preferred weapons layout and we can tell you how to dish out the whoopass.

Flickerdart
2011-04-09, 10:42 AM
♫What do you do with a BA in Swordsage...♪♩

Ahem.

You're probably going to want to go straight Swordsage, perhaps with a Factotum or Human Paragon dip if you want Iaijutsu shenanigans.

Doc Roc
2011-04-09, 01:29 PM
Most Int-based meatbaggers go with Warblade, which has more Int synergy (although Swashbuckler/Warblades lose out on the Dual Stance capstone).

And that is a surpassingly good capstone. I'm fond of the Idiot Crusader build, myself.

Keld Denar
2011-04-09, 01:42 PM
♫What do you do with a BA in Swordsage...♪♩

Wow, its not every day you get a nice Avenue Q reference out here...you rock!

Yea, there are so many different ways to pick maneuvers for a Swordsage, it really matters what weapon style you want to utilize, where you place your stats, and how you want combat to feel. Generally, a swordsage picks 2 disciplines to get most of their maneuvers from, possibly poaching 1-2 maneuver from 1-2 other disciplines. This helps you fulfil all of your prereqs to get some of the better maneuvers. As for disciplines, you generally can't go wrong with Diamond Mind. Its one of the strongest disciplines. After that, pick another discipline you like, grab some maneuvers (they all rock!), and you are good to go!

PollyOliver
2011-04-09, 02:22 PM
Since you'll be in light armor for swordsage, I'd put the 16's in DEX, CON, and WIS, and dump CHA unless you'd rather take a -2 on INT. Either way, you get nothing out of swashbuckler from this route.

Then, take shadow blade for dex to damage. I honestly prefer single classed swordsage or swordsage + a homebrew PrC to any other base class mix, as swordsage has a really nice maneuver and stance progression. If you go full swordsage, you can wind up with a ton of high level maneuvers.

Then you basically have to decide what you want to do. I like twf with tiger claw boosts (dancing and raging mongoose are awesome fun), building up to time stand still, which lets you make two full attacks in a round. Unarmed strike and snap kick are also fun, and I've seen a fairly hilarious swordsage tripper in action as well. This works especially well with a small or smaller race.

TroubleBrewing
2011-04-09, 02:45 PM
Just here to throw my two CP in: Swashbuckler gives you nothing. Straight swordsage is better. Plus, you can still call yourself a swashbuckler. Class name means nothing; it's all about attitude.

Greenish
2011-04-09, 03:29 PM
I like dipping Hit'n'run fighter (DotU) with SS. Feats are always nice, initiative boost stacks with your own, and dex-to-damage twice with Shadowblade is grand, especially since many maneuvers render the target flat-footed.

Jopustopin
2011-04-09, 03:38 PM
So, I tried to create a swashbuckler that used the swordsage as it's base class. Thus I give you this swordsage 7. I selected maneuvers based on what I believe that a normal swashbuckler would do. Thus I avoided maneuvers that had a supernatural visual effect. For example, no fire, no shadow, etc. However I did make use of maneuvers that do not have these effects (assassin's stance, etc.). I focused on diamond mind, mobility, damage, and two weapon fighting:

A spoiler block for fun:

You'll be wielding a Shortsword and a parrying dagger (Which is just a normal dagger but fits the swashbuckler concept better).
Re-fluffing the flavor of a swordsage to be a swashbuckler and you'll get the following:

STR: 7
DEX: 16
CON: 16
INT: 9
WIS: 16
CHA: 10

Feats:

1) Adaptive Style
H) Two-Weapon Fighting
3) Weapon Finesse
6) Shadow Blade

Maneuvers:

Level 1: Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Mighty Throw, Counter Charge, Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Stone Bones, Step of the Wind
Level 2: Moment of Perfect Mind, Stonefoot Stance
Level 3: Mountain Hammer
Level 4: Cloak of Deception, Baffling Defense, Counter Charge
Level 5: Insightful Strike, Assassin's Stance
Level 6: Mind Over Body, Devastating Throw, Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Level 7: Death from Above

Class Features:

1. Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand)
4: Discipline Focus (Tiger Claw)